Azimuth
April 21, 2024, 5:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +711
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Let's not rewrite history, it went sour under Hurst  but that run under Artell was one of, if not the most diabolical in the clubs  history. And given our recent  history  that's saying  something.

Even Alex Ferguson would have taken flack for turning in results like that,  especially given the stuff he was spouting which was directly contradicting what people were physically seeing.

All that being said I've never quite seen such a hand break turn perfomed and he deserves a lot of credit for that. We've done enough to limp out the season, and must do much much better next time around.

Fair play to DA, he changed it and we survived, If Paul Hurst had not been so determined to stick to his way, and only his way, unwilling to change then he might have still been here.
The interview with Jason Stockwood was interesting and confirmed that they, the owners are indeed dictating the style of play they want and expect from the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 159
forza ivano
April 21, 2024, 5:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,298
Gold Stars: 266
Worth pointing out that Artell had to do everything at Crewe, with v.little support. he's said on several occasions that he wasn't comfortable with that and that he's much more happier not being a 'dictator'

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 159
ska face
April 21, 2024, 5:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,824
Gold Stars: 854
Quoted from Heisenberg

I take it you’d find no room for Clifton then? That’s no dig at you, it’s just we all see him as a jack of all trades, and a good one at that.  And you’re probably right, if Artell doesn’t want utility players, Harry may be gone. Just don’t go to Scunny, please!

Personally, if Harry re-signs I’ll be quite pleased, but if he goes to L1 with Hurst, fair play to him.

I can see the benefit of a “utility” type player in a general sense, I just want players signed with a clear idea of how and where they’re going to be playing each week.

This season we’ve had that weird, interchangeable set of 3 behind the lone striker and I think there’s only been Eastwood who hasn’t been tried there. We started with Vernam, Eisa, Khan, Pyke, Wilson, Ainley and Gnahoua in there - all supposedly capable on either flank or down the middle, fair to say we didn’t see the best of any of these.

No idea how anyone’s supposed to become comfortable in a position or way of playing when they could be on the opposite side of the pitch from one week, or one half, to the next. It’s not chess, let the players build that familiarity with each other & around the pitch.

I think Hurst always preferred players who were versatile, probably from a career of managing small squads and small budgets. We don’t necessarily have that problem now with 5 subs and a bigger bench to choose from.
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 159
lew chaterleys lover
April 21, 2024, 5:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,803
Gold Stars: 239
The owners can hardly say they want a turgid, chance free zone way of playing where the main criteria seems to be the ability to track back and failure to do so once means you won't play again for months.

They have done the right thing in demanding change and at least we all know what we are trying to achieve. There will be many matches when it doesn't go to plan but that's where the manager can be pragmatic.
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 159
forza ivano
April 21, 2024, 5:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,298
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Rumours of an Egyptian and someone from Maidenhead was the talk yesterday

Maidenhead don't seem to have too many young players. Reece Smith is a 21 year old left winger, was their leading scorer and described as brilliant in spells. is the managers and player's player of the year

would be interested to know who Joe Hutchinson was due to meet in Amsterdam the other Friday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 159
Heisenberg
April 21, 2024, 6:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,116
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from forza ivano

Maidenhead don't seem to have too many young players. Reece Smith is a 21 year old left winger, was their leading scorer and described as brilliant in spells. is the managers and player's player of the year

would be interested to know who Joe Hutchinson was due to meet in Amsterdam the other Friday

That’s absolutely f#cking nothing to do with you!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 159
Theimperialcoroner
April 21, 2024, 7:09pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,293
Gold Stars: 103
I guess this is the right place to mention this, but did anyone notice that Barrow are paying higher average salaries than us due to having five less pros on their books. Their overall salary total was similar but they managed to have quality rather than quantity. Noted also that Wrexham paid an average of over £3k more a week than us. Astonishing.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 159
LocalLadGTFC
April 21, 2024, 7:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,409
Gold Stars: 141
Quoted from Heisenberg

That’s absolutely f#cking nothing to do with you!

well given it was to do with Grimsby Town FC and this is a Grimsby Town FC forum I think it does
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 87 - 159
gtfc_chris
April 21, 2024, 7:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,520
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from chaos33

No, he did say that.
I hope he adds some context or comparative detail to that because if he’s declaring now that the budget is ‘terrible’ next year, we’ll get more of the same. And…it’s not entirely helpful in terms of prospective season ticket sales.
I hope he qualifies/addresses this.

Let us not forget that it’s likely they’ll have learnt from the experience of the Cup run and the expectation there’s a few quid in the bank that agents sniff the extra £££ for their players. I can’t say that it’s a ruse to try and manage expectations of both agents and fans but it wouldn’t at all surprise me. Even if it were true I still don’t think that means we’ll be throwing a top 6 budget at things on the playing side, it’ll be modest at best. I briefly read on someone mentioned about overall finances and I’d suspect that’s probably more likely to be the case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 159
Heisenberg
April 21, 2024, 8:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,116
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

well given it was to do with Grimsby Town FC and this is a Grimsby Town FC forum I think it does

Jesus, I was suggesting something filthy for a laugh. Over your head, obviously.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 159
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Now the inquest

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.