LocalLadGTFC
April 20, 2024, 7:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from davmariner
Is it just me or did Stockwood say the budget is terrible for next season?

I think he was referring to the circumstances surrounding the finances as a whole, like the impact it would of had on the club as he referred to it not being a disaster but not to the point where it'd of been existential if we did go down. It's public knowledge the work needed on the main stand in the off season and there's a few other things being worked on. I reference back to a point that JS & AP made at a fans forum that they said they'd never reduce the playing budget and it'd either stay the same or improve so I don't see the playing budget being reduced for next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 159
Heisenberg
April 20, 2024, 7:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from BrMarin
We would have been safe with Hurst. Artell deserves credit for changing his his style but probably would have been sacked if he didn't. I think he deserves a chance now and I'm hoping he does well next season.

I think Hurst was taking us down, personally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 159
LH
April 20, 2024, 7:14pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,564
Gold Stars: 174
It can be true that we were absolutely awful under Artell for large periods and that he did a good job keeping this urine poor squad up. He’s earned a go at next season but think he’s got a job on as any manager would in this position.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 159
Mappers
April 20, 2024, 7:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,408
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from chaos33

No, he did say that.
I hope he adds some context or comparative detail to that because if he’s declaring now that the budget is ‘terrible’ next year, we’ll get more of the same. And…it’s not entirely helpful in terms of prospective season ticket sales.
I hope he qualifies/addresses this.

Probably trying to downplay after being rinsed by the lot of chancer agents/players last time out after declaring all of the extra FA Cup  monies would go into the playing budget.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 159
Maringer
April 20, 2024, 7:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,641
Gold Stars: 188
Question is, who would Hurst have managed to sign in the window? If he'd signed the same players, I'd imagine he'd have (narrowly) kept us up, as they have made a big difference. Mostly Thompson, of course, but also Tharme, Smith and to a lesser extent, Obikwu and Hume.

Ultimately, he shat the bed with the summer signings because, even after winning today, I couldn't help but think that there were a fair few players out there that I wouldn't want to stay. He's yesterday's news now, however and is at a different club so we don't need to worry about him.

Major rebuild required in the summer. I'm assuming we'll aim to get Ainley signed up as he showed what we've been missing this season in his cameo - intelligent play, ball retention, a range of accurate passing. A lot of players to depart and Artell will certainly be aware of what we need in this squad (pace, especially!). Let's just hope we can sign the right players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 159
louth_in_the_south
April 20, 2024, 7:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,705
Gold Stars: 96
I’ve seen enough good stuff from green in the last few weeks to think he deserves another chance . Looks a lot more capable given more freedom to play .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 159
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 20, 2024, 8:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,757
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I’ve seen enough good stuff from green in the last few weeks to think he deserves another chance . Looks a lot more capable given more freedom to play .

Seriously if we want to progress we need much better than Green. The man gives 100% and is more than decent in the air but he has little mobility, absolutely no pace whatsoever and his passing is poor more often than not. I can’t see any footballing reasons to retain his services but thank him for being an honest and good professional.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 159
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 20, 2024, 8:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Seriously if we want to progress we need much better than Green. The man gives 100% and is more than decent in the air but he has little mobility, absolutely no pace whatsoever and his passing is poor more often than not. I can’t see any footballing reasons to retain his services but thank him for being an honest and good professional.

Green: I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 159
headingly_mariner
April 20, 2024, 8:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,392
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from chaos33

No, he did say that.
I hope he adds some context or comparative detail to that because if he’s declaring now that the budget is ‘terrible’ next year, we’ll get more of the same. And…it’s not entirely helpful in terms of prospective season ticket sales.
I hope he qualifies/addresses this.

He was talking about the revenue coming in depending on what league we are in. Not the playing budget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 159
chaos33
April 20, 2024, 8:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,972
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

I think he’s ‘coached on’ and made me revise my opinion of him to some extent. Earlier in the season I’d have said he was just too limited to be a good player at this level but I think he’s evolved some aspects of his game to make me think we should probably retain him for his attributes, which aren’t that common as a combination. Technically looks limited, and no significant goals or assist return, or ‘game changing’ instances to speak of. As a midfielder, you might want more, and rightly so, but…his fitness, energy, total commitment, injury resistance, versatility, presence….all big ticks. There’ll be games when you want that in your squad. I’d persevere with him and see if he can keep improving. And still look to totally rebuild the midfielders ranks with another two or three technically/creatively better recruits.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 159
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Now the inquest

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.