Bigdog
April 9, 2023, 4:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from DB

You have my sympathy as it reads as if you're depressed.
Brighton and Bournemouth are both in the prem and it looks like Luton may join them. Let's hope Hurst gets us out of this league next season.

I'm actually not.. but.. I really don't think depression is a subject to make fun about. We've had several serious threads on here about it, one ongoing. You need to reign it in a bit sometimes, you can get a bit full of yourself..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 116
Mariner John
April 9, 2023, 5:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +629
Gold Stars: 51
As for back at training maybe the could practice passing it to each other.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 116
kevikov
April 9, 2023, 8:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from 123614

OMG, what do you not understand about getting your targets in the transfer windows?  I was explaining this all through the January window, but briefly, it's not a shop where you see what you want and take it off the shelf and pay at the check out.  There is at least one other person to take into account, the player!  I'm not going to explain it all again, but really, it's not rocket science.

I get what you are saying about the complexities of "getting a transfer" done, but in reality, up to now GTFCs starting position has been from not paying the going rate. Im assuming this from Hursts comment the other day about realising that players want more money nowadays and maybe they'll have to start paying a bit more. It's all well and good being sustainable and having a wage structure in place that a manager refuses to break, but, that then dictates the standard of player you are shopping for and explains why we are signing folk so late in the transfer window. What do us fans want? A club who's willing to spend more and risk getting success or a club who are tight with money and are happy for league survival and hope for football fortune? In a way its worked this season with the cup run but isn't going to get us anywhere near the playoffs. It is Hursts best and worst trait, will he break it to have a go or not? Can he break it? Would it break him to go against his instincts. Really, this next season is his best oppurtunity to actually let the shackles off, money from cup run, largest season ticket numbers for decades and new owners who appear to understand how a successful business is run.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 116
lew chaterleys lover
April 9, 2023, 9:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from kevikov

I get what you are saying about the complexities of "getting a transfer" done, but in reality, up to now GTFCs starting position has been from not paying the going rate. Im assuming this from Hursts comment the other day about realising that players want more money nowadays and maybe they'll have to start paying a bit more. It's all well and good being sustainable and having a wage structure in place that a manager refuses to break, but, that then dictates the standard of player you are shopping for and explains why we are signing folk so late in the transfer window. What do us fans want? A club who's willing to spend more and risk getting success or a club who are tight with money and are happy for league survival and hope for football fortune? In a way its worked this season with the cup run but isn't going to get us anywhere near the playoffs. It is Hursts best and worst trait, will he break it to have a go or not? Can he break it? Would it break him to go against his instincts. Really, this next season is his best oppurtunity to actually let the shackles off, money from cup run, largest season ticket numbers for decades and new owners who appear to understand how a successful business is run.

It was obvious we were getting turned down by not only our first choice, but several names down the list because we would not pay the going rate. Some seemed to prefer the narrative they won't come to Grimsby blah blah; dead right they won't if they get paid better wages elsewhere!

It is good that the club and more particularly Hurst have seen the light on this fundamental but like you I worry if a leopard can change it's spots.  I have said in jest before it is like Hurst is spending his own money, and I am not sure whether his  personality will relish trying to match clubs financially for players when wages will usually be top of a players list.

Nobody is talking about paying over the odds, just the going rate for better players to give us a better chance of signing them. They still might not choose us of course if they are in demand, but at least we are likely to get a hearing.
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 116
chaos33
April 9, 2023, 10:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,971
Gold Stars: 361
All supposition.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 116
grimsby pete
April 9, 2023, 10:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
We either continue to keep our salary as low as we can and struggle to get up the league.

OR

Pay a.bit more to get out 1st choice players in early instead of waiting to see what's left.

As fans I would imagine we would not mind paying a few quid more for a ticket if we could see we have signed better quality players on a higher salary.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 116
DB
April 10, 2023, 6:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Bigdog

I'm actually not.. but.. I really don't think depression is a subject to make fun about. We've had several serious threads on here about it, one ongoing. You need to reign it in a bit sometimes, you can get a bit full of yourself..

I was not poking fun at you but being perfectly serious. Many people don't realise they are getting depressed until it's too late and then have full-on depression.

If you had bothered to read my posts on here, especially the Mental Heath thread on the non-football site, you would find that I, and others, have put ourselves forward to try to help others in need.

It is not about ego or being "Full on", as you put it, but about a deep concern for not only fellow Mariner supporters but all those who suffer from depression. So if anybody on here is feeling down or depressed please feel free to send me a PM at any time.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 116
April 10, 2023, 8:55am
Guest User
Quoted from kevikov

The thing is, if we bring in a new player on a significantly higher wage than the rest of the team, is that not going to cause some unrest?  Before long player x will want more money, then player y will also, you see where I'm going?

Reply: 87 - 116
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2023, 9:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228

It was obvious we were getting turned down by not only our first choice, but several names down the list because we would not pay the going rate. Some seemed to prefer the narrative they won't come to Grimsby blah blah; dead right they won't if they get paid better wages elsewhere!

It is good that the club and more particularly Hurst have seen the light on this fundamental but like you I worry if a leopard can change it's spots.  I have said in jest before it is like Hurst is spending his own money, and I am not sure whether his  personality will relish trying to match clubs financially for players when wages will usually be top of a players list.

Nobody is talking about paying over the odds, just the going rate for better players to give us a better chance of signing them. They still might not choose us of course if they are in demand, but at least we are likely to get a hearing.

I think Hurst pretty much admitted we need to pay better in his pre Hartlepool press interview where he talked about paying more in certain positions. The penny has dropped by the look of it, or is it just that we’ve got some money to spend for once.

I also don’t doubt that some players didn’t want to sign for us based upon our reputation in the Fenty years and that Grimsby is a “challenged” environment.

As for everyone being on similar money then if we’re trying to do that then we’ll be the exception and not the norm as it’s an accepted factor of the game that better players get paid more, as long as they are the better players that is.

Let’s see what the summer brings, at the very least my expectation is we bring in better players who have decent injury records and good EFL experience. Oh yeah and before the end of July and not on the final day of the window.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 116
kevikov
April 10, 2023, 10:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from 123614

The thing is, if we bring in a new player on a significantly higher wage than the rest of the team, is that not going to cause some unrest?  Before long player x will want more money, then player y will also, you see where I'm going?

Yep agree entirely. We’ve set the bar so low that any new players coming in are required to lower their wage expectations to suit. It appears our first choice players are not prepared to do that. We will have to raise the going rate in the squad to attract a  better standard of new players. Or keep the status quo and accept the current standard.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 116
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In Hurst I trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.