12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Mappers
April 8, 2023, 8:30am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,409
Gold Stars: 119
Wasnt there yesterday but losing 4-1 at home to a team who are flirting with relegation is never a good look .

I think Hurst has currency in the bank , but in both spells with us the home performances have never been easy on the eye in the main ,and I dont expect that to change dramatically in truth .

But what i do expect next season is to be challenging at the top end .Winning ugly football is acceptable ,but when you are playing badly and not doing particularly well at home fans are fair enough to question the manager especially when its something ongoing  that has not been rectified .

I am firmly Hurst in , but if we are floating around mid table at xmas ,playing like we have at home it would be the time to start questioning his position IMO.

Lets hope he makes the most of the improved playing budget and doesnt completely "keep us shape' with the wage structure ,because if he does i fear it could be the undoing of him .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 116
Simon
April 8, 2023, 8:39am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
Can't see how anyone can defend him after that yesterday, set up wrong from the start and before a ball was kicked the fans, radio pundits and probably players were confused and questioning the tactics employed against a team second bottom and lacking in confidence

I would have had more respect for Hurst if he had gone on the radio and put his hands up and admitted he got it wrong, but no he as i expected watched a completely different game to the other 7400 in the ground

The new owners have so far had it all their own way but the fans have been let down this year and i fear will leave in droves next season by not renewing season tickets

Bitterly disappointing end to a season  

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 116
HertsGTFC
April 8, 2023, 8:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Simon
Can't see how anyone can defend him after that yesterday, set up wrong from the start and before a ball was kicked the fans, radio pundits and probably players were confused and questioning the tactics employed against a team second bottom and lacking in confidence

I would have had more respect for Hurst if he had gone on the radio and put his hands up and admitted he got it wrong, but no he as i expected watched a completely different game to the other 7400 in the ground

The new owners have so far had it all their own way but the fans have been let down this year and i fear will leave in droves next season by not renewing season tickets

Bitterly disappointing end to a season  

When did the owners start picking the team?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 116
Simon
April 8, 2023, 8:48am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Never said they did, they selected a manager that has dished up just FOUR home league wins all season which simply isn't good enough

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 116
HertsGTFC
April 8, 2023, 8:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Simon

Never said they did, they selected a manager that has dished up just FOUR home league wins all season which simply isn't good enough

Though they were consulted Fenty appointed Hurst when he came back, 1878 didn’t own the club at the time.

The manager got it wrong yesterday but he didn’t waste good goal scoring opportunities, ball watch when they put the ball into the box, dive in with crazy tackles or cough the ball up when it should have easily remained in our possession.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 116
golfer
April 8, 2023, 8:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Maybe they should ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 116
lew chaterleys lover
April 8, 2023, 9:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Poojah
There are clear issues right now, but we have a summer and beyond to put them right. If anyone doesn’t trust in Paul Hurst, they have short memories. His record of improving teams year-on-year when given the time to do so is unreal.

Next season will be different. I feel pretty confident in saying that.

It's not often I disagree whilst reading one of your posts, but I do with the bit about improving teams  year on year.

I think he swaps one set of players for another; there never seems to be a plan, or a playing style and if you are an attacking wide player don't even think of joining us unless you are a complete workaholic who is happy to sacrifice your skills for tracking back with the rest of the team. This is the basic reason for our shocking home form - everybody is thinking about defending.

On the other side of the coin he has provided some of the greatest ever days in our recent history.  What an enigma he is!

He is the man the owners trust, but he won't be our manager forever and I think he needs to really look at his methods and ethos and come to a conclusion about what exactly he is trying to achieve with how he wants the team to function.

You know in football you are either up or down and he can quickly go from hero to zero if home performances don't improve.

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 116
buckstown
April 8, 2023, 9:24am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,187
Gold Stars: 79
What’s disappointing is that these games are now about selling tickets for next season
Personally I think the club missed an opportunity by not getting season tickets on sale immediately after the cup run ended. Now the season fizzles out playing defensive line ups and getting hammered by relegation fodder
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 116
GrimRob
April 8, 2023, 9:29am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
If we had got knocked out at Cambridge or Luton it would be a very different position to what we're in, but should it be? The league season is the bread and butter. PH is a cautious manager and has never won automatic promotion at any club (I think). He does enough to keep his job. It's very unlikely we get relegated with him. He'll obviously be staying and getting the summer to recruit but I have the horrible feeling that we'll end up in much the same league position next year. Fans will drift away and we'll get sucked downwards again. The next few months are massive. Big decisions to make for all concerned.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 116
GtfcGarner
April 8, 2023, 9:36am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,793
Gold Stars: 26
Mark my word probably will lose 1500 season ticket holders on the back of being served that dross at home week in week out. But we are 'lucky' and had a quick turnaround from the summer.. absolute balderdash they play twice a week, not like a bloke traipsing up and down the country working 6 days a week 12 hours a day. It's a shithouse excuse and a weak one.

Had the chance to capitilize on the feel good factor from last year and we never.. Never even entertained having a decent enough budget to have an outside chance. Relied on an aging Taylor who never managed a full season the previous year.. 4 wins at home all season is an absolute horror, if we didn't have the cup run then massive fingers would of been pointed. I'm in the same boat that I think we will be bottom half next year, Paul would rather not lose a game than go and try win one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 116
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In Hurst I trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.