12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
buckstown
April 8, 2023, 3:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,243
Gold Stars: 80
I forgot to put "sack" in between should and Hurst!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 116
chaos33
April 8, 2023, 3:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,991
Gold Stars: 364
Quoted from HarrogateMariner
There is no question in my mind regarding weather Hurst should carry on as manager. Of course he should. Overall, the positives he has brought to this club far far out weigh the negatives. We are in a position we could only dream about a year ago. However, that doesn't mean he shouldn't come in for criticism.

I went yesterday. It was my younger sons first ever match. I wanted it to be a memorable positive experience for him. The reality was it was horrific. We were awful. The highlight of the day for him appears to be the dead whale on the beach, nothing to do with the football!!

Hurst has to take a massive amount of blame for the selection and tactics yesterday. No idea what the plan or way of playing was supposed to be. However, I don't want him sacked after one poor game, never mind how bad it was. Overall, I still think he has done a great job this season.

However fully understand what many others have said. The home form has to improve. It simply has not been good enough. When thinking about this, I remembered what a mate said at the Bradford match- all of Clifton's league goals have come away from home this season. And I think that says a fair bit about how we set up differently away from home. Most his goals come from making runs beyond the striker- we just don't play like this at home. Slightly off topic, but I also don't understand what Clifton has done wrong to drop out the team- great at Crawley and most creative player at Bradford. I know there is a case for trying new things at this stage of the season, but when your player of the season is under contract for next season, is the top scorer and you are struggling for goals, surely he has to play.

Agree, so can only think Hurst wanted some rest for Clifton.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 116
MuddyWaters
April 8, 2023, 4:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,294
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from buckstown
No way we should Hurst and more importantly, no way we will. He's more than capable of building a team to get out of this division but given the resources available it might take time.
Interesting in a recent interview (maybe Hartlepool pre match?) he said he might need to be out of character to pay more in order to get the right people in. That  cheered me up a touch and I jumped to the conclusion that he has specific targets and is planning to get them.
I do think he needs to spend an hour with Ben Stokes who when talking about bazball said something along the lines of "stop thinking were in the business of cricket, we're in the business of entertainment. Also, never let the fear of losing outweigh the joy of winning"

I’m not sure what goes on at training but I sometimes wonder what holds them back. It always looks like if there’s a choice between two players, he (or he and Doig) will go with the ‘safer’ option.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 116
HertsGTFC
April 8, 2023, 4:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,076
Gold Stars: 238
Paul can’t be too worried about player fatigue they’ve been in training today.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 116
Chrisblor
April 8, 2023, 4:48pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,989
Gold Stars: 243
Clifton's been managing a knock for weeks which is why he's been in and out of the team, and not really hitting his early season form when he has played recently.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 116
TheFryingSquad
April 8, 2023, 6:04pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 11
[quote=491]

Ok then, should we sack him?[/quote

If we want to progress we need a forward thinking manager who’s career is on the up.  One who knows his best team and encourages his team to entertain.  It would be harsh to sack him at this stage, but he needs to be set very clear targets and possibly given reign to appoint an attacking coach.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 116
TheFryingSquad
April 8, 2023, 6:07pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from GrimRob
If we had got knocked out at Cambridge or Luton it would be a very different position to what we're in, but should it be? The league season is the bread and butter. PH is a cautious manager and has never won automatic promotion at any club (I think). He does enough to keep his job. It's very unlikely we get relegated with him. He'll obviously be staying and getting the summer to recruit but I have the horrible feeling that we'll end up in much the same league position next year. Fans will drift away and we'll get sucked downwards again. The next few months are massive. Big decisions to make for all concerned.

Spot on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 116
arryarryarry
April 8, 2023, 6:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,018
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from TheFryingSquad
[quote=491]

Ok then, should we sack him?[/quote

If we want to progress we need a forward thinking manager who’s career is on the up.  One who knows his best team and encourages his team to entertain.  It would be harsh to sack him at this stage, but he needs to be set very clear targets and possibly given reign to appoint an attacking coach.

How many more coaches do we need. We'll soon have more chiefs than Indians.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 116
kafunanapar140909
April 8, 2023, 7:16pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
For those who are peddling the hypothetical "if we had got knocked out of the cup earlier, then this has been a rubbish season" scenario, we should pay equal consideration to the equally hypothetical idea that, had we got knocked out of the cup earlier, we might have been able to put more emotional/physical energy into the league campaign, and could quite possibly still be in with a sniff of the play-offs.

If you're peddling hypotheticals you can't consider one possible outcome without at least acknowledging the other...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 116
HerveJosse
April 8, 2023, 7:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,208
Gold Stars: 145
In or out ?
Is I want to be entertained allowed to feature in the debate or is it just about grinding out a result to survive.?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 116
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In Hurst I trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.