Mayaman
January 27, 2023, 9:20am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from 123614

Or leather footballs!    Oh did that hurt when you got one smashed into your goolies from point blank range.

Heading them when wet was a killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 86
January 27, 2023, 9:23am
Guest User
Indeed, being a CF at that time, I was heading the ball a lot, maybe that's why I'm a bit wacky now.
Reply: 71 - 86
Croxton
January 27, 2023, 9:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from 123614

Or leather footballs!    Oh did that hurt when you got one smashed into your goolies from point blank range.

Especially early in the game. Ours had to be pumped up like a rock due to a leaky bladder and again at half time!

And the leather lace would be hanging loose to take your eye out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 86
ginnywings
January 27, 2023, 11:21am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Yeah, can remember heading a wet football and feeling like I had just been hit with a boxing glove, which was ironic, because that also happened in my school days and left me literally seeing stars. Surprised if I didn't get some brain damage.

We had a Geordie games teacher and he was brutal.

Kids today....
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 86
headingly_mariner
January 27, 2023, 1:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,377
Gold Stars: 114
I think we might see Scanz start tomorrow. I wonder if Shaun Pearson might get on for a bit as an emergency centre forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 86
Zmariner
January 27, 2023, 1:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from ginnywings
As if having 9 subs is going to make much difference.

The club can't really help the chain of events causing this.

Drawing Luton and losing McAtee,
Amos getting himself sent off and games postponed, so his ban falls on this game.
Players getting injured.
Kiernan's loan ending.
Richardson's recall by Burnley. He's injured anyway.
O'Neill being cup tied.
Wearne being cup tied. We couldn't plan for getting to the 4th round when he went out.
Most players we could have signed would have been cup tied.

It's not like we can't put out a side.

It's made a tough game even tougher I grant you, but just getting this far has been an achievement, which seems to be forgotten in this rush to blame all and sundry for the situation we find ourselves in. I also acknowledge that we should have had more in the striking department going into the season, but we didn't.

Not sure why you are allowed 9 subs in the F.A. Cup and not in the league.

I was thinking the same, we will still be able to put out a battling team. No great drama. I expect us to lose but happy if we go down all guns blazing. I am a big fan of the fishy but I have never seen so much balderdash written in a few days. Absolute hysteria and I still gamble we will have a couple of decent signing’s next week after all this drama utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 86
MaccasBoots
January 27, 2023, 1:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +684
Gold Stars: 23
Am expecting it will be something like:

Crocombe
Efete Smith Waterfall Maher Glennon
Holohan Morris Green
Clifton Orsi

Take advantage of the fact that we have three very good centre halves, and give Efete and Glennon more license to get forward (which is what they're best at). Pack the midfield with grafters, with Morris slightly deeper to ping balls out to the wingbacks. Clifton pressing high up the pitch, trying to capitalise on defenders making mistakes. Orsi on the last man, waiting to pounce if we get a chance.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 86
diehardmariner
January 27, 2023, 1:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
Wasn't convinced by Hurst regards Khan, expecting him to not be involved.

Orsi hasn't played loads and then the only other real attacker is Scannell. Whichever way you cut it, we're gonna be short up top.

Be a back 3, Efete and Glennon at wing back then Green and Morris behind Clifton and Holohan, who will be doing their best to support poor Orsi.

Got Palace away vibes all over it. At least then we actually lined up with two strikers I think (Cardwell and Thomas, although Cardwell pretty much went to centre back second half and Thomas played wide).
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 86
IlkleyMariner
January 27, 2023, 1:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from MaccasBoots
Am expecting it will be something like:

Crocombe
Efete Smith Waterfall Maher Glennon
Holohan Morris Green
Clifton Orsi

Take advantage of the fact that we have three very good centre halves, and give Efete and Glennon more license to get forward (which is what they're best at). Pack the midfield with grafters, with Morris slightly deeper to ping balls out to the wingbacks. Clifton pressing high up the pitch, trying to capitalise on defenders making mistakes. Orsi on the last man, waiting to pounce if we get a chance.

Given who is available this is probably the best we can do and hope we get players back and newly signed for the replay…….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 86
buckstown
January 27, 2023, 4:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
Two buses parked me thinks!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team For Saturday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.