Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, January 24, 2023, 12:34pm
Defenders, No Cropper or Amos
Midfield, No Kiernan- currently- Khan Rumoured to be injured, Wearne and O Neill Cup tied
Up top- Taylor Mcatee Injured/ ineligible

if we dont sign anyone i'd imagine

Crocombe
    Smith Waterfall maher
Efete                               Glennon
       Green Clifton Morris
                  Holohan
                    Orsi

Bench- Scannell, Khouri, Hunt, Pearson, Battersby, and genuinely dont think we have anyone else.....
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 24, 2023, 12:39pm; Reply: 1
From having two players of equal quality in more or less every position in September, this is getting ridiculous.

I'm probably his biggest supporter and I can't get my head round this. We are so exposed to injuries in basically every position bar central midfield. We have no wide players, bar an unfit Scanz.
Posted by: immariner, January 24, 2023, 1:02pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Mariner_09
From having two players of equal quality in more or less every position in September, this is getting ridiculous.

I'm probably his biggest supporter and I can't get my head round this. We are so exposed to injuries in basically every position bar central midfield. We have no wide players, bar an unfit Scanz.

Yes, because playing the parent team of our best player and having other players cup tied for the 4th round of the FA cup is an issue that should have easily been envisioned. Get a grip lad
Posted by: Poojah, January 24, 2023, 1:13pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from immariner

Yes, because playing the parent team of our best player and having other players cup tied for the 4th round of the FA cup is an issue that should have easily been envisioned. Get a grip lad

Bit silly that Wearne’s cup tied though, innit?
Posted by: fishcake63, January 24, 2023, 1:16pm; Reply: 4
Would play hunt we need to keep the ball alot better than we have been , would be tempted to play both hunt & morris with green move clifton upto into holohan place or rwb
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 24, 2023, 1:20pm; Reply: 5
Does Amos's red card carry into a cup game? Or is he injured too?
Posted by: Hagrid, January 24, 2023, 1:21pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
Does Amos's red card carry into a cup game? Or is he injured too?

yeah carries over to this, because we've had our last 2 games postponed
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 24, 2023, 1:22pm; Reply: 7
Can't plan for injuries but the decisions of the management team have left us with two wingers in the building. One of whom has played 12 minutes of football since May last year, the other is cup-tied.

It's the same decisions that have left us with a single available striker who's managed just over 200 minutes of first team action all season.

Kiernan going back wasn't unexpected, JMD getting released wasn't expected, Pepple and Simmonds returning to their parent clubs wasn't expected.

I've defended Hurst previously but if he fails to bring in some fresh recruits up top ahead of the weekend and most definitely ahead of the transfer window closing, absolutely massive questions need asking.

It's unacceptable that we'll go into the period of the season where its Sat-Tues-Sat with such limited options.

Never mind sleep walking into trouble, we're tightening our own blindfold here!
Posted by: immariner, January 24, 2023, 1:24pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Poojah

Bit silly that Wearne’s cup tied though, innit?

No, not really. He was loaned out before the 1st round so the likelihood of us being in the 4th round and potentially having McAtee, Khan, Richardson and Kiernan unavailable wasn't exactly high at that point
Posted by: Poojah, January 24, 2023, 1:38pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from immariner

No, not really. He was loaned out before the 1st round so the likelihood of us being in the 4th round and potentially having McAtee, Khan, Richardson and Kiernan unavailable wasn't exactly high at that point

The honest answer is: you don’t know. Ultimately, if he’s someone who you consider you may want available for the first team later that season then you play it safe and don’t allow him to play, in my opinion.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 24, 2023, 1:39pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from diehardmariner
Can't plan for injuries but the decisions of the management team have left us with two wingers in the building. One of whom has played 12 minutes of football since May last year, the other is cup-tied.

It's the same decisions that have left us with a single available striker who's managed just over 200 minutes of first team action all season.

Kiernan going back wasn't unexpected, JMD getting released wasn't expected, Pepple and Simmonds returning to their parent clubs wasn't expected.

I've defended Hurst previously but if he fails to bring in some fresh recruits up top ahead of the weekend and most definitely ahead of the transfer window closing, absolutely massive questions need asking.

It's unacceptable that we'll go into the period of the season where its Sat-Tues-Sat with such limited options.

Never mind sleep walking into trouble, we're tightening our own blindfold here!

I'm getting concerned. We were after permanents and now we seem to be scrambling around for unproven kids. Some of them may come good but for every Andy Smith there is a People, Simmonds etc who offer very little.

Three strikers joined League One clubs last week from what I can see, all on loan from academies:
Michael Mellon - 19: Burnley U21sto Morecambe
Max Dean - 18: Leeds U21 to MK Dons
Dale Taylor - 19: Forest U21 to Burton
Posted by: 137 (Guest), January 24, 2023, 1:42pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from fishcake63
Would play hunt we need to keep the ball alot better than we have been , would be tempted to play both hunt & morris with green move clifton upto into holohan place or rwb

I was thinking along very similar lines.

Do we know for sure that Waterfall is fit to play?

If not, Michee into the back 3, Harry RWB and Hunt in.

The starting XI is not too bad imo - though we're looking a bit threadbare in terms of overall numbers.

Think the biggest thing in our favour is that Luton have a whiff of the Premiership and will have the FA Cup on the back burner.

My other hope - that the FA are trying to fix games to get a Town v Wrexham FA cup final (that could be hyped in the USA to generate
huge oodles of cash) is frankly so ridiculous that even I can't believe it.
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 24, 2023, 1:44pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from immariner

To let Keke, Keirnan, Pepple and JMD go out the building but bring basically nobody into the replace them is silly.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, January 24, 2023, 1:46pm; Reply: 13
Maybe I’m stupid, but do we know for sure, that McAtee cannot play?
Posted by: Poojah, January 24, 2023, 1:47pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Maybe I’m stupid, but do we know for sure, that McAtee cannot play?

The question was asked by Matt Dean in a recent interview with Hurst. He cannot.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 24, 2023, 1:51pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from 137

I was thinking along very similar lines.

Do we know for sure that Waterfall is fit to play?

If not, Michee into the back 3, Harry RWB and Hunt in.

The starting XI is not too bad imo - though we're looking a bit threadbare in terms of overall numbers.

Think the biggest thing in our favour is that Luton have a whiff of the Premiership and will have the FA Cup on the back burner.

My other hope - that the FA are trying to fix games to get a Town v Wrexham FA cup final (that could be hyped in the USA to generate
huge oodles of cash) is frankly so ridiculous that even I can't believe it.

he was with the team that travelled yesterday, he'll be fit to play Saturday
Posted by: Mikey_345, January 24, 2023, 2:27pm; Reply: 16
Our hand is pretty much forced with line up and formation. Desperately need to excrement or get off the pot and get people in now. Going to be difficult for Saturday as I would suspect alot of players are cup tied anyway.
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 24, 2023, 3:27pm; Reply: 17
                     Crocombe

Smith.  Waterfall. Maher
Efete.                                         Glennon
               Green.       Hunt

Clifton.      Holohan.       Morris

O'Neill or Kiernan (if still here)
Posted by: Corkyefes, January 24, 2023, 3:33pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Stew0_0
                     Crocombe

Smith.  Waterfall. Maher
               Green.       Hunt

O'Neil cup tied and Kiernan gone.... Will have to be Orsi (if not injured).
Posted by: smokey111, January 24, 2023, 3:45pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Stew0_0
                     Crocombe

Smith.  Waterfall. Maher
               Green.       Hunt

I can't see Luton letting us play 12 players.
Posted by: Corkyefes, January 24, 2023, 3:52pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from smokey111

I can't see Luton letting us play 12 players.

They'd still beat us 3-0....
Posted by: easypeersy, January 24, 2023, 7:38pm; Reply: 21
It’s gonna have to be the tea lady as striker.
Ticket salesman left wing.
Whichever supporter turns up first on the subs bench.
Unbelievable it’s come to this.
Yet we might just pull off a miracle so I’m off to watch the Mighty Mariners make it so.
Then Tottenham in Round 5
8)
Posted by: golfer, January 24, 2023, 8:43pm; Reply: 22
It's absolutely disgraceful that we are in the state we are this late in the transfer window. I can see us putting an advert in the telegraph on Friday  - "Players wanted-don't have to be any good but must be cheap. Pick up outside McDonalds Sat Morning  £20 a game meals included but must have own boots "
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 24, 2023, 8:59pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from golfer
It's absolutely disgraceful that we are in the state we are this late in the transfer window. I can see us putting an advert in the telegraph on Friday  - "Players wanted-don't have to be any good but must be cheap. Pick up outside McDonalds Sat Morning  £20 a game meals included but must have own boots "

Can we get a Maccies before we get on the bus? And a pub stop on the way?
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 24, 2023, 9:16pm; Reply: 24
No idea who we may or may not sign, but the FA cup should have no bearing on the decisions

Even if we signed Messi, we would still lose on Saturday…..
Posted by: Poojah, January 24, 2023, 9:24pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
No idea who we may or may not sign, but the FA cup should have no bearing on the decisions

Even if we signed Messi, we would still lose on Saturday…..

If we signed Messi, people would complain he was too small.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, January 24, 2023, 10:21pm; Reply: 26
On Wearne, my view is departures indicate he is about to get his chance in the league.

Remember he was on Sunderlands books recently, could argue he had good.pedigtee, age, and apparently did well at Torquay.   Worth a look?

Posted by: Wedidntdidwe, January 25, 2023, 1:40am; Reply: 27
Should be match fit at least, hopefully game time has done him good.
Posted by: chaos33, January 25, 2023, 2:47am; Reply: 28
Quoted from golfer

Yeah it’s ‘absolutely disgraceful’.  
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 25, 2023, 8:31am; Reply: 29
Is Amos suspended for Saturday or is it next League game ?
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 25, 2023, 8:42am; Reply: 30
As I see it at present we do not have enough fit players who are not out on loan or cup tied to put a team out and fill the bench (9 players).

To Play :-  Crocombe, Efete, Smith, Maher, Glennon, Khan, Green, Holohan, Clifton, Wearn, Orsi. (11)
Bench :-   Pearson, Battersby, Hunt, Morris, Khouri, Scannel  (Only 6 + Amos if not suspended))
Injured:-    Waterfall, Simmons, Cropper, Taylor, Richardson. (5)
Unable to pick :-  McAtee
Cup Tied:-   O'Neil
Suspended ? :- Amos
Out on loan:-   Goudrey, Braithwaite, Tomlinson, Bramwell, Essel (5)
Posted by: coddy60, January 25, 2023, 8:43am; Reply: 31
Khan's injured...
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 25, 2023, 8:45am; Reply: 32
Quoted from coddy60
Khan's injured...

As I see it at present we do not have enough fit players who are not out on loan or cup tied to put a team out and fill the bench (9 players).

To Play :-  Crocombe, Efete, Smith, Maher, Glennon, Hunt, Green, Holohan, Clifton, Wearn, Orsi. (11)
Bench :-   Pearson, Battersby, Morris, Khouri, Scannel  (Only 5 + Amos if not suspended))
Injured:-    Waterfall, Simmons, Cropper, Taylor, Richardson, Khan (6)

Even worse...
Posted by: Hagrid, January 25, 2023, 9:15am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

To Play :-  Crocombe, Efete, Smith, Maher, Glennon, Hunt, Green, Holohan, Clifton, Wearn, Orsi. (11)
Bench :-   Pearson, Battersby, Morris, Khouri, Scannel  (Only 5 + Amos if not suspended))

Even worse...

Wearne is Cup tied and Waterfall is fit from what i understand
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 25, 2023, 9:24am; Reply: 34

Even worse...

I'd bring Waterfall in, play a back three and have Morris in over Hunt. Wearne is cup tied. Hunt is a luxury you can't afford against a Championship side and we are still relatively well stocked in the middle of the park
Posted by: Davec, January 25, 2023, 9:27am; Reply: 35
The fact it has come to this is as others have said a disgrace, some of it is unavoidable yes, but not all of it, just urine poor planning and preparation, also I find it hard to believe that no decent striker wants to sign for us! Hurst is either being too picky or the offers aren't very good which puts into question the budget we have, and for what it's worth I don't think the budget is as high as what we were all led to believe.

Yet again we are left desperately trying to sign a load of unproven kids late in the window. Simply not good enough and if this happens in every window we will eventually go down (maybe not this season)
Posted by: golfer, January 25, 2023, 9:29am; Reply: 36
Hurst is playing it crafty.   We have secretly signed 6 players including 3 strikers - 2 from Div. 1 and 1 from Man. Utd on loan with international experience.You have fooled Luton and most of us on here Paul.  Well done and keep the good work up.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 25, 2023, 9:33am; Reply: 37
At this point I'd recall Essel (who has scored a few) and maybe one or two of the others
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 25, 2023, 9:44am; Reply: 38
Quoted from AdamHaddock
At this point I'd recall Essel (who has scored a few) and maybe one or two of the others

No disrespect meant to Edwin but he’s not been able to hold down a regular spot in Boro’s team, he’s a long long way off league standard at the minute and it might damage his confidence.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 25, 2023, 9:51am; Reply: 39
Now as I see it at present we do not have enough fit players who are not out on loan or cup tied to put a team out and fill the bench (9 players).

To Play :-  Crocombe, Efete, Smith, Waterfall, Maher, Glennon, Morris, Green, Holohan, Clifton, Orsi. (11)
Bench :-   Pearson, Battersby, Hunt, Khouri, Scannel  (Only 5 + Amos if not suspended))
Injured:-    Cropper, Taylor, Richardson, Khan (4)
Cup Tied:-   O'Neil, Wearne.
Posted by: Norseman, January 25, 2023, 10:30pm; Reply: 40

To Play :-  Crocombe, Efete, Smith, Maher, Glennon, Khan, Green, Holohan, Clifton, Wearn, Orsi. (11)
Bench :-   Pearson, Battersby, Hunt, Morris, Khouri, Scannel  (Only 6 + Amos if not suspended))
Injured:-    Waterfall, Simmons, Cropper, Taylor, Richardson. (5)

Think Khans injured .Never saw holohan training on Monday at Bradley either.Waterfall was training so looks ok .Wearne is cup tiedas well .Yes Amos suspended
Posted by: lukeo, January 26, 2023, 5:44am; Reply: 41
Crocombe
Efete Smith Waterfall  Maher Glennon
Green Holohan Hunt
Clifton
Orsi
Posted by: Mayaman, January 26, 2023, 6:27am; Reply: 42
Isn't Pearson on loan at Boston or is he back?
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, January 26, 2023, 7:21am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Mayaman
Isn't Pearson on loan at Boston or is he back?

He's back, and has been on the bench the last 2 games.

Posted by: denni266, January 26, 2023, 7:31am; Reply: 44
Oh god . looks like they are going to get there rear ends returned to them on silver platters as they leave the pitch ..And all this is Hursts fault.. Either too picky   not offering the going rate for players  only wanting players that will defend . Dont know what it is but the buck stops with him . He needs pulling to one side and telling strait instead of giving him a free pass to do what he wants . Are they afraid of him ?
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 26, 2023, 7:40am; Reply: 45
Quoted from denni266
He needs pulling to one side and telling strait instead of giving him a free pass to do what he wants . Are they afraid of him ?

Sounds like a job for Debbie.

Debbie could take Max as backup. He must have crossed the Cook Strait a few times.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 26, 2023, 8:18am; Reply: 46
Just a thought but has anyone got a number for Roy Essandoh?
Posted by: ivanosandwich, January 26, 2023, 9:18am; Reply: 47
I've resisted until now but will be sending the following to the Telegraph Sports Notices.

GTFC game Sat, away Luton.
Pick up King George, Ploggers and Bradley
Let me know if unavailable.
Nets 2pm
Don't forget subs, 50p
Posted by: HerveJosse, January 26, 2023, 10:10am; Reply: 48
Is there any technical reason why Keirmans loan couldn’t have been extended until Saturday still allowing him to return to Walsall while the window was still open and move on again if that’s his wish.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, January 26, 2023, 10:31am; Reply: 49
Quoted from HerveJosse
Is there any technical reason why Keirmans loan couldn’t have been extended until Saturday still allowing him to return to Walsall while the window was still open and move on again if that’s his wish.

Yes, can only be loans of a certain length (I think 30 days, 90 days and season long).

Posted by: immariner, January 26, 2023, 7:08pm; Reply: 50
From Hurst's intwrview it sounds like Waterfall and Khan are fit, thank fook. Possible line ups then

Crocombe

Waterfall     Smith     Maher

Efete                                                Glennon
         Green     Holohan    Clifton

Khan      

Orsi

Or...

Crocombe

Efete      Waterfall     Smith     Glennon

Green     Morris     Holohan

Khan                                                   Clifton
                             Orsi
Posted by: toontown, January 26, 2023, 7:23pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from immariner
From Hurst's intwrview it sounds like Waterfall and Khan are fit, thank fook. Possible line ups then

Crocombe

Waterfall     Smith     Maher

Efete                                                Glennon
         Green     Holohan    Clifton

Khan      

Orsi

Or...

Crocombe

Efete      Waterfall     Smith     Glennon

Green     Morris     Holohan

Khan                                                   Clifton
                             Orsi

Why would you swap Khan from the left? Why would you move clifton from his more natural right role to switch him to the left?

Khan has played on the left all season leave him there. Clifton can play either wide role but he's a right footed player so in the absence of a right sided wide player Why would you play him on the left?
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 26, 2023, 7:28pm; Reply: 52
How about this for a team for Saturday.
I know it would look like playing without a striker but as we only got Orsi who's available to play there and flattered to deceive how about a 5-3-2 with 2 very hard working advanced midfielders who press from the front and hit the channels on the counter.

Crocombe

Smith.  Waterfall.  Maher
Efete.                                                 Glennon
                              Green
             Hollahan.              Hunt

Clifton                Khan
Posted by: immariner, January 26, 2023, 7:39pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from toontown

Why would you swap Khan from the left? Why would you move clifton from his more natural right role to switch him to the left?

Khan has played on the left all season leave him there. Clifton can play either wide role but he's a right footed player so in the absence of a right sided wide player Why would you play him on the left?

What "natural right role"? Clifton has almost exclusively been utilised on the left when played in that advanced wide mid/inside forward role. Khan isn't left footed either and has often played on the right this season.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 26, 2023, 8:29pm; Reply: 54
Embarrassing that we will not have a full bench of nine though.
Posted by: It Bites, January 26, 2023, 8:33pm; Reply: 55
Embarrassing that we will not have a full bench of nine though.

It will be embarrassing if it happens.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 26, 2023, 8:34pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from It Bites

Think we’re currently 3 or 4 short.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 26, 2023, 8:35pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from It Bites

Surely he will take some of the younger pros for the experience?
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 26, 2023, 8:45pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Surely he will take some of the younger pros for the experience?

They are all out on loan!

Posted by: Heswall Mariner, January 26, 2023, 8:53pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Think we’re currently 3 or 4 short.

Nah - not embarrassing at all - we can only use 5 subs anyway?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 26, 2023, 9:14pm; Reply: 60
As if having 9 subs is going to make much difference.

The club can't really help the chain of events causing this.

Drawing Luton and losing McAtee,
Amos getting himself sent off and games postponed, so his ban falls on this game.
Players getting injured.
Kiernan's loan ending.
Richardson's recall by Burnley. He's injured anyway.
O'Neill being cup tied.
Wearne being cup tied. We couldn't plan for getting to the 4th round when he went out.
Most players we could have signed would have been cup tied.

It's not like we can't put out a side.

It's made a tough game even tougher I grant you, but just getting this far has been an achievement, which seems to be forgotten in this rush to blame all and sundry for the situation we find ourselves in. I also acknowledge that we should have had more in the striking department going into the season, but we didn't.

Not sure why you are allowed 9 subs in the F.A. Cup and not in the league.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 26, 2023, 9:23pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from ginnywings

Amos getting himself sent off and games postponed, so his ban falls on this game.
Players getting injured.
Kiernan's loan ending.
O'Neill being cup tied.
Wearne being cup tied. We couldn't plan for getting to the 4th round when he went out.

It's made a tough game even tougher I grant you, but just getting this far has been an achievement, which seems to be forgotten in this rush to blame all and sundry for the situation we find ourselves in. I also acknowledge that we should have had more in the striking department going into the season, but we didn't.

I think only Cropper is injured.

You can make as many excuses as you like, this shambles reflects the summer window as much as it does this one. Hurst is moaning about the January window being difficult - he made the summer one pretty unspectacular too.
Posted by: toontown, January 26, 2023, 9:29pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from immariner

What "natural right role"? Clifton has almost exclusively been utilised on the left when played in that advanced wide mid/inside forward role. Khan isn't left footed either and has often played on the right this season.

Well I did say he could play either but in the absence of a right sided player Why would you switch him to the left and put the left sided player on the right.

If Khan has played as often on the right for us this season as on the left then fair enough I take that back, it doesn't seem like that to me though but could be wrong.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 26, 2023, 9:32pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think only Cropper is injured.

You can make as many excuses as you like, this shambles reflects the summer window as much as it does this one. Hurst is moaning about the January window being difficult - he made the summer one pretty unspectacular too.

I'd have put good money on you being the first one in on my post.

I did acknowledge that the summer window wasn't the best and I'm not making excuses. I'm giving reasons why we are light at the moment.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 26, 2023, 9:38pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from ginnywings

I'd have put good money on you being the first one in on my post.

I did acknowledge that the summer window wasn't the best and I'm not making excuses. I'm giving reasons why we are light at the moment.

Delighted you won your bet🍾😎. One man’s reason is another man’s excuse. Whatever it is, it’s now verging on shambolic.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 26, 2023, 10:04pm; Reply: 65
I'll get me boots!
Posted by: ginnywings, January 26, 2023, 10:10pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from 123614
I'll get me boots!

I don't think boots with wooden toecaps and leather studs are allowed nowadays.  ;)
Posted by: immariner, January 26, 2023, 10:15pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from toontown

Well I did say he could play either but in the absence of a right sided player Why would you switch him to the left and put the left sided player on the right.

If Khan has played as often on the right for us this season as on the left then fair enough I take that back, it doesn't seem like that to me though but could be wrong.

But Khan isn't a left sided player per sé so he's not going to suddenly be crap if you put him on the right, he's spent most of his career playing on the right. Clifton has played really well in that advanced left role whenever he's played there whilst Khan appears equally adept on left or right. I'm sure Clifton would put in his usual solid performance on the right too so it probably doesn't matter all that much
Posted by: Mayaman, January 27, 2023, 4:48am; Reply: 68
If Khan is fit, he and Orsi are gonna click like a... something that clicks... and we are gonna progress to the round against all the odds. Fancy Waterfall to bag one.  On the other hand, we could get trounced but let's hope we get stuck in and attack without fear.  We have nothing to lose in this one.  UTM!
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 27, 2023, 9:01am; Reply: 69
Quoted from ginnywings

I don't think boots with wooden toecaps and leather studs are allowed nowadays.  ;)

Or leather footballs!  :)  Oh did that hurt when you got one smashed into your goolies from point blank range.

Posted by: Mayaman, January 27, 2023, 9:20am; Reply: 70
Quoted from 123614

Or leather footballs!  :)  Oh did that hurt when you got one smashed into your goolies from point blank range.

Heading them when wet was a killer.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 27, 2023, 9:23am; Reply: 71
Indeed, being a CF at that time, I was heading the ball a lot, maybe that's why I'm a bit wacky now.
Posted by: Croxton, January 27, 2023, 9:33am; Reply: 72
Quoted from 123614

Especially early in the game. Ours had to be pumped up like a rock due to a leaky bladder and again at half time!

And the leather lace would be hanging loose to take your eye out.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 27, 2023, 11:21am; Reply: 73
Yeah, can remember heading a wet football and feeling like I had just been hit with a boxing glove, which was ironic, because that also happened in my school days and left me literally seeing stars. Surprised if I didn't get some brain damage.

We had a Geordie games teacher and he was brutal.

Kids today....
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 27, 2023, 1:20pm; Reply: 74
I think we might see Scanz start tomorrow. I wonder if Shaun Pearson might get on for a bit as an emergency centre forward.
Posted by: Zmariner, January 27, 2023, 1:30pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from ginnywings

Players getting injured.
Kiernan's loan ending.
O'Neill being cup tied.

I was thinking the same, we will still be able to put out a battling team. No great drama. I expect us to lose but happy if we go down all guns blazing. I am a big fan of the fishy but I have never seen so much balderdash written in a few days. Absolute hysteria and I still gamble we will have a couple of decent signing’s next week after all this drama utm
Posted by: MaccasBoots, January 27, 2023, 1:32pm; Reply: 76
Am expecting it will be something like:

Crocombe
Efete Smith Waterfall Maher Glennon
Holohan Morris Green
Clifton Orsi

Take advantage of the fact that we have three very good centre halves, and give Efete and Glennon more license to get forward (which is what they're best at). Pack the midfield with grafters, with Morris slightly deeper to ping balls out to the wingbacks. Clifton pressing high up the pitch, trying to capitalise on defenders making mistakes. Orsi on the last man, waiting to pounce if we get a chance.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 27, 2023, 1:42pm; Reply: 77
Wasn't convinced by Hurst regards Khan, expecting him to not be involved.

Orsi hasn't played loads and then the only other real attacker is Scannell. Whichever way you cut it, we're gonna be short up top.

Be a back 3, Efete and Glennon at wing back then Green and Morris behind Clifton and Holohan, who will be doing their best to support poor Orsi.

Got Palace away vibes all over it. At least then we actually lined up with two strikers I think (Cardwell and Thomas, although Cardwell pretty much went to centre back second half and Thomas played wide).
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 27, 2023, 1:56pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from MaccasBoots
Am expecting it will be something like:

Crocombe
Efete Smith Waterfall Maher Glennon
Holohan Morris Green
Clifton Orsi

Take advantage of the fact that we have three very good centre halves, and give Efete and Glennon more license to get forward (which is what they're best at). Pack the midfield with grafters, with Morris slightly deeper to ping balls out to the wingbacks. Clifton pressing high up the pitch, trying to capitalise on defenders making mistakes. Orsi on the last man, waiting to pounce if we get a chance.

Given who is available this is probably the best we can do and hope we get players back and newly signed for the replay…….
Posted by: buckstown, January 27, 2023, 4:13pm; Reply: 79
Two buses parked me thinks!!
Posted by: chaos33, January 27, 2023, 4:17pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Zmariner

I was thinking the same, we will still be able to put out a battling team. No great drama. I expect us to lose but happy if we go down all guns blazing. I am a big fan of the fishy but I have never seen so much balderdash written in a few days. Absolute hysteria and I still gamble we will have a couple of decent signing’s next week after all this drama utm

Yup.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 27, 2023, 6:54pm; Reply: 81
Yes, we are stretched thin for this game. But for the next league game Amos, MacAtee, O’Neil and Wearne are all available to go straight back into the squad and in the long run that is more important. Nice though a cup run is, priority one is staying up.’
Posted by: toontown, January 27, 2023, 8:05pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from immariner

But Khan isn't a left sided player per sé so he's not going to suddenly be crap if you put him on the right, he's spent most of his career playing on the right. Clifton has played really well in that advanced left role whenever he's played there whilst Khan appears equally adept on left or right. I'm sure Clifton would put in his usual solid performance on the right too so it probably doesn't matter all that much

Personally I think clifton is better going forward on the right, hes got tenacity and a bit of pace, exemplified by that assist against Plymouth. He's just as effective defensively either side tho. With the assumption it's glennon on the left then he would benefit from a better defender in front of him than Khan, and glennon can be the one delivering into the box. If Khan is as good on the right as left then i suppose its fair enough - I'm coming round a bit. Mind you if Khan is injured as rumoured it's all irrelevant anyway!
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 27, 2023, 8:50pm; Reply: 83

Luton’s top scorer Carlton Morris and fellow forward Cauley Woodrow have both been declared fit for tomorrow’s FA Cup fourth round clash against Grimsby Town.

The pair were absent from Saturday’s 2-0 win at Wigan Athletic in the Championship with calf injuries :-/
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 27, 2023, 10:32pm; Reply: 84
                   Crocombe
Efete     Maher   Waterfall©   Smith   Glennon
Clifton      Holohan       Green        Khouri
                     Khan

Subs: Battersby, Pearson, Hunt, Morris, Scannell, Orsi…
Posted by: LH, January 27, 2023, 10:37pm; Reply: 85
Expecting five at the back and one up front by default but we probably would have done that with a full squad anyway. Perform like we did with that set up against Stockport and we might just nick something.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 27, 2023, 10:55pm; Reply: 86
Just watched the Inside Training video didn't notice Khan anywhere, but then my eyes aren't what they were :(
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 5:40am