14 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
January 14, 2023, 5:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
We have somehow managed to be so bad that we made it look like we were playing in a hurricane.

Shite performance and it should be a wake up call for those fans who have buried their heads in the sand, although the other shite performances over the past 8 weeks should’ve done that.

Hurst is a bad transfer window from genuine pressure, no more excuses now because we’re sleep walking into mediocrity and it’s completely our fault.
Logged Offline
Private Message
chaos33
January 14, 2023, 5:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,980
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from pontoonlew
We have somehow managed to be so bad that we made it look like we were playing in a hurricane.

Shite performance and it should be a wake up call for those fans who have buried their heads in the sand, although the other shite performances over the past 8 weeks should’ve done that.

Hurst is a bad transfer window from genuine pressure, no more excuses now because we’re sleep walking into mediocrity and it’s completely our fault.

Can you explain what you mean by ‘buried their heads in the sand’?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 130
Hagrid
January 14, 2023, 5:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
You couldnt wait to have a dig at those who differ from your point of view could you😂
Horrendous display, lack of any desire, Mcatee, Gav, Smith and Michee all had nightmares. Swindon targeted Amos and can see why. It genuinely could have been 9 or 10.

For goodness sake Paul, spend some money, Every other side has. Why arent we.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 130
Madeleymariner
January 14, 2023, 5:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
I hate to agree with you Hagrid but your pretty much right
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 130
TwoLeftFeet
January 14, 2023, 5:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,101
Gold Stars: 19
I'm normally pretty positive on here and a big fan of Hurst I've no doubt he is the man to sort it out.. however I'm concerned with how weak we look all over the park think next couple of players brought in need to be good league standard players who might cost a bit..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 130
Quagmire
January 14, 2023, 5:33pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
Last 10 League Games:

W 2
D 1
L 7

F 9
A 21

Record season ticket sales with those fans being treated to a poxy 3 home wins in the league

A manager who knows his job is safe irrespective of results and performances
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 130
barralad
January 14, 2023, 5:33pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,298
Gold Stars: 127
First half was pretty even. Could have been 1.0 up, should have equalised with Mcatees poor effort.
Second half was the worst 45 minutes I've seen from a Town side in ages. Couldn't get the ball often enough and when they did gave it away. Mcatee tried as did Maher and the mercurial Green but the rest stole a living today and let down nigh on 600 fans in the process.
Simply not good enough.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 130
immariner
January 14, 2023, 5:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
This season is a bonus season when you look at where we were at this point last season and the 95th minute at Notts County. We're not getting relegated, it's as simple as that. Obviously I'd prefer it if we were challenging for the play offs but we're not. Unnecessary drama
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 130
Kris2
January 14, 2023, 5:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from pontoonlew

While I do agree that Hurst and the board need to get on with it and start acquiring some players up to standard instead of this conservative "wait and see" tactic that Hurst uses for everything from subs to transfers, expecting us to bounce back into L2 first time and be dominating the league is a bit ambitious. Unless we have a free spending chairman who is willing to bankroll a team of Championship standards, we aren't going to dominate in this league and not going straight back down will be a realistic goal. Fans on here go from one extreme to the other based on if we win or lose. If we win then we are close to the playoffs and we are going to finish in them, if we lose then we are doomed, Hurst needs to be sacked and our season is a disaster.

If anybody here seriously expected us to be challenging for promotion and doing a double promotion in as many seasons I'd be asking "what planet do you live on?".  
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 130
cardiffmariner
January 14, 2023, 5:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,320
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from immariner
This season is a bonus season when you look at where we were at this point last season and the 95th minute at Notts County. We're not getting relegated, it's as simple as that. Obviously I'd prefer it if we were challenging for the play offs but we're not. Unnecessary drama

I don't think we will either but today's performance (and others recently) suggest we shouldn't be complacent about this.

Swindon were a real cut above today and showed how far we have to go before we can genuinely compete at the top end of the table. We're not particularly strong in any area but, for me, today again showed how we don't have any full backs on the books good enough to take us forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 130
Heisenberg
January 14, 2023, 5:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
I'm normally pretty positive on here and a big fan of Hurst I've no doubt he is the man to sort it out.. however I'm concerned with how weak we look all over the park think next couple of players brought in need to be good league standard players who might cost a bit..

That’s pretty much what I was gonna post too.

I’ve actually really enjoyed having a ST this season but I am now concerned we’re getting dragged into a relegation dog fight. However, win next Saturday - which I think we will - and we’ll all (well, nearly all) be happy as Larry.

Some strong, experienced signings would be good though. The young loanees like Pepple and Simmonds just didn’t work out.

We need to put even more daylight between us and the bottom two.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 130
barralad
January 14, 2023, 5:45pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,298
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from pontoonlew

The heads in the sand comment is pure hyperbole. I'm sat on the bus with 50 dedicated Town fans not one of whom doesn't realise we have significant problems.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 130
gtfc_chris
January 14, 2023, 5:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,508
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from cardiffmariner

I don't think we will either but today's performance (and others recently) suggest we shouldn't be complacent about this.

Swindon were a real cut above today and showed how far we have to go before we can genuinely compete at the top end of the table. We're not particularly strong in any area but, for me, today again showed how we don't have any full backs on the books good enough to take us forward.

I thought Hutton was fantastic today for them. Probably not the done thing to be in praise of the opposition but to reference your point his delivery was excellent and it makes you wonder what sort of impact that could have for us if he were here.

That isn’t meant to be damning on Michee, I don’t think he’s stepped up just yet albeit with a few games that he excelled in.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 130
arryarryarry
January 14, 2023, 5:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 117
Just listened to Paul Hurst going off on one against JT.

The guy just can't take criticism.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 130
Simon
January 14, 2023, 5:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from immariner

Wish people would stop saying this, in football you can never just tick over you either strive to push on or get left behind there are no free passes

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 130
DB
January 14, 2023, 5:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
A poor post match interview from JT. He questioned Hurst about the Hartlepool game and Hursty snapped his head off, so JT backed down.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 130
cardiffmariner
January 14, 2023, 5:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from gtfc_chris

I thought Hutton was fantastic today for them. Probably not the done thing to be in praise of the opposition but to reference your point his delivery was excellent and it makes you wonder what sort of impact that could have for us if he were here.

That isn’t meant to be damning on Michee, I don’t think he’s stepped up just yet albeit with a few games that he excelled in.

Agreed. And just to echo your point, I'm not into slating individuals etc and don't doubt that the current players are giving their all. Just think we lack the necessary quality and consistency in this area.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 130
lew chaterleys lover
January 14, 2023, 5:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from immariner

You have to kick on. There is no such thing as consolidation - the club said as much at the start of the season when they said we are not here to make the numbers up.

We will be here to make the numbers up though if the message doesn't get through that being a force in league football, even in league 2 is a very expensive business. You need to invest a lot of money in proven players to have any chance at all, and it continually looks like we don't want to spend the money necessary.

If we cannot afford it, then fine, but we will not be a force in league football, because whatever your well-meaning motives if you don't give enough resources for players then other clubs will, and we will be back to square one.

For the type of player we are trying to attract, there is no excuse about location or anything like that - we attract loads of players to Grimsby but not enough of the quality needed.

We are now on the back foot a bit in this window; had we made our intentions clear on January 1st and got one of the seemingly endless players Hurst "is aware of" it sets the tone.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 130
lukeo
January 14, 2023, 5:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149
Swindon are the best team I've seen all season. We could have scored a couple first half but they dominated throughout, especially once we'd gone down to 10. Midfield runners, winger who can cross, a striker who can header...
We move on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 130
ginnywings
January 14, 2023, 6:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pontoonlew

Yeah, if only we were all as savvy as you.

We are a middling league 2 side who just got our bottom$ handed to us by a much better team. It happens

We need new and better players. The fans know it, the board know it and the manager knows it. You haven't spotted anything most fans don't know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 130
mariner91
January 14, 2023, 6:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from immariner

The form over the last 10 games means that this isn't a certainty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 130
immariner
January 14, 2023, 6:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from cardiffmariner

I completely agree about the full backs being our weakest area (other than obviously strikers). Efete and Amos simply are never going to get forward and put crosses into the box like he can. We need to stick to 3 CBs too, we're too weak as a 4.

I'd also say for how well stocked we are in the middle we just don't have anyone like Saidou Khan. So composed on the ball, always turning out of tight spaces, getting on the front foot. Just the sort of player we need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 130
pontoonlew
January 14, 2023, 6:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid
You couldnt wait to have a dig at those who differ from your point of view could you😂
Horrendous display, lack of any desire, Mcatee, Gav, Smith and Michee all had nightmares. Swindon targeted Amos and can see why. It genuinely could have been 9 or 10.

For goodness sake Paul, spend some money, Every other side has. Why arent we.

I like that people have different points of view and I enjoy the debate that brings (except maybe with you, given how much you take everything to heart).

What boils my urine is when opinions are lambasted as negative and just dismissed. People are paying damn good money for this and it’s absolutely abysmal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 130
cardiffmariner
January 14, 2023, 6:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from immariner

I completely agree about the full backs being our weakest area (other than obviously strikers). Efete and Amos simply are never going to get forward and put crosses into the box like he can. We need to stick to 3 CBs too, we're too weak as a 4.

I'd also say for how well stocked we are in the middle we just don't have anyone like Saidou Khan. So composed on the ball, always turning out of tight spaces, getting on the front foot. Just the sort of player we need.

Yep. IIRC we played 3 centre backs against Stockport with two full backs to create a back 5 when needed. We dug in and (deservedly) earned a scrappy 3 points without too much football. It isn't pretty but with the players we currently have I think it's our best way forward. And yes, that would have meant Pearson coming in today without Waterfall being available.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 130
Mariner93er
January 14, 2023, 6:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
I get the whole idea of a season of consolidation but it really feels like we've failed to kick on. Our recruitment hasn't been particularly great and if we continue that trend over the next two windows then we're going to struggle next season and the ending of this season could become uncomfortable.

It really feels like we've learnt nothing from previous seasons and as much as it pains me to say, I'm not sure we can say that our recruitment has improved under the new owners.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 130
LH

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,566
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from immariner

No, no, no and no. The play offs were a bonus because we were shite last season too. Winning them was a superjackpot bonus because of the manner we won them in. 5000+ people bought into it in the form of purchasing a season ticket and gave us a huge fund to build from. This completely surprise sequence of events should have been capitalised on and we’ve squandered it big time. I’d love to be more positive about it but it’s very, very hard to currently.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 130
Oly1987
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
Poor showing today our defence never looked comfortable. Definitely need some improvements especially at right back and a target man up front to hold up play and bring in our attacking players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 130
Chrisblor
January 14, 2023, 6:13pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,932
Gold Stars: 238
Hurst's embarrassing post-match interview is here:

https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/1614320076949229570

Him getting shirty with JT has been covered above, but the most bizarre part of it for me was how he answered the question about keeping Kiernan. In previous interviews about new signings he's talked about wanting to bring in players on permanent deals for the long term, yet this evening he's contradicting that by saying things like "I wish we could have more loans if i'm honest", and moaning about teams below us spending money on new signings. How about spending some of the money we supposedly have as a result of record season ticket sales and our highest average attendances in decades Paul?

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 130
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2023, 6:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mariner93er
I get the whole idea of a season of consolidation but it really feels like we've failed to kick on. Our recruitment hasn't been particularly great and if we continue that trend over the next two windows then we're going to struggle next season and the ending of this season could become uncomfortable.

It really feels like we've learnt nothing from previous seasons and as much as it pains me to say, I'm not sure we can say that our recruitment has improved under the new owners.

I kind of agree and disagree, just cast your mind back to the players that say Jolley has to bring in, we’ve moved on maybe not to the level we’d all like but we’re actually offering/paying fees for players which wasn’t the case.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 130
ska face
January 14, 2023, 6:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Quagmire
Last 10 League Games:

W 2
D 1
L 7

F 9
A 21

Record season ticket sales with those fans being treated to a poxy 3 home wins in the league

A manager who knows his job is safe irrespective of results and performances

Not sure that argument completely stacks up - the alternative being that managers constantly at risk of the sack tend to perform better?
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 130
immariner
January 14, 2023, 6:22pm
Whiskey Drinker

You have to kick on. There is no such thing as consolidation - the club said as much at the start of the season when they said we are not here to make the numbers up.

I've not implied we don't need to kick on. Each window should lead to improvement and we've still got 2 weeks left of this one, to hopefully get 2 or 3 decent players in. I think we're a competitive if limited league 2 side.

I don't want to be blasé or complacent about the prospect of relegation but of the games we've lost recently, we've been unlucky in a fair few of them. Today was our only really bad overall performance but we looked in the game with 11. What happened after we went down to 10 wasn't good enough but it can happen. I just think we'll pick up without ever being spectacular. And I'm not accepting being crap, I want us to be better than we have been recently, I'm just trying to look at the bigger picture. Stockport for all the money they've spent are not so far ahead of us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 130
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2023, 6:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

Him getting shirty with JT has been covered above, but the most bizarre part of it for me was how he answered the question about keeping Kiernan. In previous interviews about new signings he's talked about wanting to bring in players on permanent deals for the long term, yet this evening he's contradicting that by saying things like "I wish we could have more loans if i'm honest", and moaning about teams below us spending money on new signings. How about spending some of the money we supposedly have as a result of record season ticket sales and our highest average attendances in decades Paul?

I think Tondour deserved it, he’s the master of dumb behind questions. The bit you missed out was that he knows his targets which hopefully we can secure.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 130
ginnywings
January 14, 2023, 6:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Don't think the interview was that bad considering PH had just seen us get hammered and probably wasn't in the best of moods.

Something and nothing for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 130
Gaffer58
January 14, 2023, 6:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Plus the £200k plus from the FA Cup run, we are in a position to seriously start thinking about a really good push for next season, and that starts with a good transfer window this January and again in the summer. If people do not see any ambition then season ticket numbers will be back to 3000.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 130
Mikey_345
January 14, 2023, 6:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,534
Gold Stars: 107
Well that was absolutely shocking, no hiding that - just not acceptable.

A few going to have to have a look in the mirror over next few days. Just not good enough and too many had poor games and seemed to accept that.

Hugely disappointing especially coming off the back of two good results and two clean sheets.

Looked terrible both with and without the ball. Didn’t want to close crosses down enough, couldn’t string anything together or keep the ball. Defensively we looked petrified when they had the ball..

Trying not to get too down or consumed by this result I think it’s clear we are an average team in this league - which is a huge step from where we were 18 months ago. However that just cannot be the extent of what we want and we can’t be content with that.

Window massively important. We know the aim is constant and incremental improvements (as said by JS) and now is where we need to ensure we improve, we can’t afford to slip backwards.

Well done to the 500 or so who travelled and had to watch that!

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 130
chaos33
January 14, 2023, 6:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker

We will be here to make the numbers up though if the message doesn't get through that being a force in league football, even in league 2 is a very expensive business. You need to invest a lot of money in proven players to have any chance at all, and it continually looks like we don't want to spend the money necessary.

If we cannot afford it, then fine, but we will not be a force in league football, because whatever your well-meaning motives if you don't give enough resources for players then other clubs will, and we will be back to square one.

For the type of player we are trying to attract, there is no excuse about location or anything like that - we attract loads of players to Grimsby but not enough of the quality needed.

We are now on the back foot a bit in this window; had we made our intentions clear on January 1st and got one of the seemingly endless players Hurst "is aware of" it sets the tone.

Can you explain, ‘there’s no such thing as consolidation’ given we’ve just gone up a league and are mid table with half a season left and an FA cup 4th round game to play..?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 130
pontoonlew
January 14, 2023, 6:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

Bizarre interview, we’re back to pleading poverty again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 130
Limerick Mariner
January 14, 2023, 6:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,726
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Chrisblor

Some tabloid type selective mis-interpretation there. He clearly said we know us targets (for permanents) and we’ve two games a week for most weeks coming up so clearly loans alongside the permanents would be useful. He wasn’t moaning about the teams below spending either. He said it was expected to happen in this window and that improved results could happen.

We need some experience and quality incoming and I’ll judge at the end of the window.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 130
gtfc98
January 14, 2023, 6:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from Chrisblor

Maybe the money actually isn't there for him? Think we need to consider that too.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 130
Mikey_345
January 14, 2023, 6:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,534
Gold Stars: 107
The money is there, JS has said as much. I can’t see any reason to not believe him. Hurst also clearly said we have our targets and will be working on bringing them in this week - think a few have selectively interpreted his comments.

Can give abit of leeway and benefit of the doubt in the summer window. Taking into account the turn around and having the shorter pre season etc. But we cannot have those excuses this window and improving is a must.

Personally I understand Hursts comment re JT. JT described Harrogate at the time as a good performance with some defensive errors and asked him at the time “how did you lose that”

You can’t then turn round and say it was a poor performance and not expect Hurst to say “hang on a minute John”

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 130
pontoonlew
January 14, 2023, 6:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98

Maybe the money actually isn't there for him? Think we need to consider that too.

If the money isn’t there after record ticket sales and a semi lucrative cup run then serious questions need to be asked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 130
lew chaterleys lover
January 14, 2023, 6:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from chaos33

Can you explain, ‘there’s no such thing as consolidation’ given we’ve just gone up a league and are mid table with half a season left and an FA cup 4th round game to play..?

No. My post explains why.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 130
essexexile
January 14, 2023, 6:51pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +186
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from lukeo
Swindon are the best team I've seen all season. We could have scored a couple first half but they dominated throughout, especially once we'd gone down to 10. Midfield runners, winger who can cross, a striker who can header...
We move on.

Midfield runners, wingers who can cross, strikers who can head and score are all basic requirements of any decent team
Think we’re lacking in two of these areas
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 130
Son of Cod
January 14, 2023, 6:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
The team were crap today yes. But I'd like to take a moment to talk about our support. Were you sat in this section?

[img]https://i.ibb.co/HpBM7Xt/IMG-20230114-162822776-HDR.jpg[/img]

If so, give yourself a slap on the back for getting there and paying your entrance fee but nothing else because you may as well have not bothered turning up. Pathetic support from you every single person in that section. What's the point of taking 500+ to Swindon when the only time two thirds of that gets up is to go to the toilet?

I felt embarrassed walking away from the match today. Not because I've watched Town get spanked. I've seen that many times before. I felt embarrassed that I was in the same stand as such a bunch of corpses. Utterly terrible support.

SIT DOWN.

FOR THE MARINERS.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 130
arryarryarry
January 14, 2023, 6:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from ginnywings
Don't think the interview was that bad considering PH had just seen us get hammered and probably wasn't in the best of moods.

Something and nothing for me.

Only because JT in his usual way backed down when Hurst got shirty, he should have asked why are recent league form has been shite.

Really wanted Dave Burns to ask those sort of questions as he doesn't normally back down like JT.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 130
chaos33
January 14, 2023, 6:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker

No. My post explains why.

Except it doesn’t, hence the question. No worries.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 130
pen penfras
January 14, 2023, 7:03pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -129
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I kind of agree and disagree, just cast your mind back to the players that say Jolley has to bring in, we’ve moved on maybe not to the level we’d all like but we’re actually offering/paying fees for players which wasn’t the case.

Jolley brought in good players, far better than Hurst has this time around. He was just a rubbish manager.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 130
Mariner93er
January 14, 2023, 7:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Except it doesn’t, hence the question. No worries.

The definition of consolidation is the process of making something stronger. A couple of tight 1-0 wins against a largely depleted Stockport and relegation-bound Burton aside, where in our performances over the last few months or recent recruitment have you seen this consolidation?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 130
Hagrid
January 14, 2023, 7:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from pen penfras

Jolley brought in good players, far better than Hurst has this time around. He was just a rubbish manager.

And person. Bloke was a complete buffoon
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 130
immariner
January 14, 2023, 7:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from LH

No, no, no and no. The play offs were a bonus because we were shite last season too. Winning them was a superjackpot bonus because of the manner we won them in. 5000+ people bought into it in the form of purchasing a season ticket and gave us a huge fund to build from. This completely surprise sequence of events should have been capitalised on and we’ve squandered it big time. I’d love to be more positive about it but it’s very, very hard to currently.

Alright, so what does 5800 season ticket holders guarantee? A "huge fund"? Sorry mate but the maths doesn't stack up on that. It's little to no more revenue than 3500 season ticket holders and 1700 paying on the gate. It's not some massive war chest at all. The two best supported (much better than us) sides in the division, Bradford and Swindon are battling it out on the edge of the play offs but they should be first and second by a country mile then I guess.

This time last year we were what, 9/10th in the Conference. 16th in league 2 is demonstrably an improvement on that. No reason why with a couple of good signings we can't push on from here and hopefully finish the season strongly. I always thought that if we could finish higher than 14th, which would be our highest finish since 2007, that i'd be alright with that. I still think that. Maybe I'm unambitious or maybe I'm a realistic lower league football fan. Probably a bit of both
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 130
chaos33
January 14, 2023, 7:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
After promotion, we’ve established ourselves in L2 and have had some good results. Sure, we’ve had some bad results too, but we are closer to the play offs than relegation. There you go. Consolidate means, to establish and sustain.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 130
Jarmo.Is.God
January 14, 2023, 7:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
To be fair to Hurst, he's raging about today, then JT (who I have infinity respect for) asks a question which contradicts what he's previously said. Hurst was right to tell him so aswell IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 130
Mariner93er
January 14, 2023, 7:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
After promotion, we’ve established ourselves in L2 and have had some good results. Sure, we’ve had some bad results too, but we are closer to the play offs than relegation. There you go. Consolidate means, to establish and sustain.

But it's a continuing process of making ourselves stronger. It's all well and good getting some decent results at the beginning of the season but it's how we build from there. For me it's not necessarily about our position (so long as we're not in a relegation fight) as much as it is about our recruitment and how we're building for the future. I genuinely believe we'll be in for a tough season next year unless our recruitment improves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 130
Swansea_Mariner
January 14, 2023, 7:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Given we've just brought in a head of recruitment obviously they see a need for substantial improvement in this area too.  They've only been in the building a few weeks though so I guess that may not bear fruit this window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 130
easypeersy
January 14, 2023, 7:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
£67 I spent on my ticket and coach travel.
The £67 would have been better spent on anything other than that!
But I’ll be there next Saturday and at Crawley and no doubt the rest of the season but we never know what to expect.
Grimsby Town are a Dr Jeckell and Mr Hyde side this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 130
GYinScuntland
January 14, 2023, 8:03pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from Son of Cod
The team were crap today yes. But I'd like to take a moment to talk about our support. Were you sat in this section?

If so, give yourself a slap on the back for getting there and paying your entrance fee but nothing else because you may as well have not bothered turning up. Pathetic support from you every single person in that section. What's the point of taking 500+ to Swindon when the only time two thirds of that gets up is to go to the toilet?

I felt embarrassed walking away from the match today. Not because I've watched Town get spanked. I've seen that many times before. I felt embarrassed that I was in the same stand as such a bunch of corpses. Utterly terrible support.

SIT DOWN.

FOR THE MARINERS.

I've seen some cuntish posts over the years, cracking effort fella.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 130
Son of Cod
January 14, 2023, 8:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from GYinScuntland

I've seen some cuntish posts over the years, cracking effort fella.

People might not like what I said but it's true. The vast majority of our fans may have not bothered turning up because they didn't make a peep. I get that not everyone makes noise but you're talking about 70/80% of our support today quiet as mice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 130
buckstown
January 14, 2023, 8:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,187
Gold Stars: 79
So, just got home and had dinner.
That was the worst collective performance by a town side I've seen for a long time. Even before the sending off Amos got fried by their right winger about 4-5 times and we lucky to be only one behind despite the odd rare chance we had. After the sending off we were chasing shadows and to be honest Swindon could easily have scored 7 or 8
I've never seen a town team give the ball away so often and punt so many aimless balls into empty space. First half we abandoned playing out from the back and went hoofball into a howling gale. Crocombe might as well have just kicked it into touch while we reset.
Substitutions were too late as I thought either Green or McAtee looked like getting sent off throughout the second half. Difficult to judge O'Neill based on that showing but he's not a line leading centre forward.
Special mention to the Swindon number 23, Khan who I believe was at Chesterfield last season. He was majestic and oozed quality in everything he did.
The highlight was the ref being knocked unconscious by a ball in the face, but I do hope he's ok! His replacement was being hammered by the people around us but I thought he did ok. We were so bad, and most of our tackles were so mistimed we left him few decisions to make
We need a couple of quality recruits and sharpish before we get sucked into a dogfight
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 130
GYinScuntland
January 14, 2023, 8:33pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from Son of Cod

People might not like what I said but it's true. The vast majority of our fans may have not bothered turning up because they didn't make a peep. I get that not everyone makes noise but you're talking about 70% of our support today quiet as mice.

It's not true it's simply your opinion with a snidey photo.
Much the same as your plucked from the air 70%
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 130
lukeo
January 14, 2023, 8:35pm
Season Ticket Holder
OK I'm finally home and my original post was kind on the players.
To build on that I think Smith needs to be replaced with Pearson for next game. Mcatee should have come off alot sooner than he did aswell.. I said it the other week but he's not half the player he was before his op, not skill wise just body language and movement around the pitch.
On a positive I felt the new lad looked good. Just needs support around him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 130
lukeo
January 14, 2023, 8:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from gtfc_chris

The 2 Centre midfielders drove forward regularly with the ball,
Winger put in some great crosses and the bold bloke was always finding gaps. Very good side and well supported.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 130
Bigdog
January 14, 2023, 8:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from lukeo
To build on that I think Smith needs to be replaced with Pearson for next game. Mcatee should have come off alot sooner than he did aswell.. I said it the other week but he's not half the player he was before his op, not skill wise just body language and movement around the pitch.

If Hurst trusted Pearson anymore, he would have played three centre backs today..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 130
Kris2
January 14, 2023, 9:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

Like who?

Andrew Fox - Alright I guess, didn't do anything special. Most well known for getting sent off against Crystal Palace after 2 minutes making us play a whole match with 10 men.

Gary McSheffrey - Veteran mercenary bought in on a desperate short term deal. Did nothing.

Jordan Cook - Netted a few goals, spent a fair amount of time injured and then dropped down to non league where his injury problems continue.

Harry Davis - Fairly forgettable average player, not great but not bad.

Jake Hessenthaler - Short and lightweight midfielder who was regularly bullied off the ball. Think he got a goal under Holloway once.

Louis Robles - Crap. Made like one appearance as a sub where he didn't look like a professional footballer.

John Welsh - Fairly rubbish veteran player. Punched a lesbian.

Elliott Whitehouse - Spent a season injured after a bad pre season injury, came back and was never the same as he was before joining us. Still a decent signing.

Alex Whitmore - Who? Player who Jolly worked with at youth level with Burnley. Joined Fylde after being released from us where he added to his list of relegations dropping from NL to NLN.

Sam Russell - Goalkeeping coach and backup keeper in one. Did okay when called upon as a backup.

Charles Vernam - Technically Jolley didn't discover him, it was Slade who signed him on loan and Jolley inherited him but he did choose to pursue a permanent deal in his first full season in charge. Was pretty rubbish in his first season scoring just 3 league goals and couldn't make the team by his second season, got shipped out to Chorley where he bagged 3 goals in 4 games coming back with much more confidence and becoming a fan favourite in the second half of the season bagging 7 goals. Left us to join League One Burton after that. Will give this one his best signing of the list so far.

Wes Thomas - Decent veteran journeyman striker who came with a lot of experience at a higher level. Our top scorer and probably kept us up himself since we didn't have anybody else who could freely score goals.

Luke Hendrie - Good January signing as Jolly looked to shore up the defence. Put in some good performances during our decline back into the NL.

Sebastian Ring - Part of Jolley's Swedish experiment. Was not up to the standard and struggled to get a place in the team before leaving by mutual consent so he can return to Sweden.

Ludvig Öhman - Tall Swede who did better than Ring but constantly dogged with injuries. Pretty good at scoring own goals.

Matt Green - Journeyman signing most known for several spells at Mansfield Town. Known for being a lazy failure in most other places and was no different for us. The only thing worth remembering was a goal against Chelsea in the cup.

James Hanson - Towering Yorkshireman who won every single header that came his way,  well past his best but did actually try.

Elliott Hewitt - Decent utility player who slotted into defence or midfield. Took a while to find his best position by which time nobody cared.

Luke Waterfall - You'd probably forget he was a Jolley signing by now, did pretty awful under Jolley and then Holloway and Hurst. Hurst told him he could leave after we got relegated but he chose to stay and fight for a place. Ended up being our best player in a playoff winning instant return to league football. Dire as a Jolley signing initially though.

Moses Ogbu - Another piece of the Sweden puzzle, had played under Jolley in Sweden where he was pretty prolific. Had a cool sounding name and goal celebration but since he only scored twice for us we didn't get to see it much.

Jolley made some decent loan signings in his first season: Embleton, Pringle, Famewo Grayson. He also signed desperation signing Kristian Dennis in his bit to avoid the drop who was crap for us.

I think Hurst signed some good players on loan too when he came in but the difference is we didn't avoid relegation that time after Hurst inherited probably the worst squad we've ever had. Rollin Menayese, Jay Matete, El Mizouni looked good until injury. The first two almost kept us up on their own along with bringing in veteran Giles Coke and LJL who scored a couple of goals. He did sign Joe Bunney and Stefan Payne though so he's hardly crime free for transfers after coming back. In any case I don't think Jolley's signings were of a particularly higher standard than what we've got in the squad now. We were keen to keep most of last season's squad intact after a previous promotion winning squad was ripped apart and we achieved that minus Ben Fox. We are perhaps missing one or two experienced players but as we see on Jolley's list of permanent signings experience doesn't always equal good and we'd grown sick of mercenary signings by that point.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 130
Maringer
January 14, 2023, 9:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,648
Gold Stars: 189
Hessenthaler was a good player. I disagree with some of the other comments about players to some degree, but you're way off target about him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 130
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2023, 9:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

Like who?

Andrew Fox - Alright I guess, didn't do anything special. Most well known for getting sent off against Crystal Palace after 2 minutes making us play a whole match with 10 men.

Gary McSheffrey - Veteran mercenary bought in on a desperate short term deal. Did nothing.

Jordan Cook - Netted a few goals, spent a fair amount of time injured and then dropped down to non league where his injury problems continue.

Jake Hessenthaler - Short and lightweight midfielder who was regularly bullied off the ball. Think he got a goal under Holloway once.

Louis Robles - Crap. Made like one appearance as a sub where he didn't look like a professional footballer.

Elliott Whitehouse - Spent a season injured after a bad pre season injury, came back and was never the same as he was before joining us. Still a decent signing.

Alex Whitmore - Who? Player who Jolly worked with at youth level with Burnley. Joined Fylde after being released from us where he added to his list of relegations dropping from NL to NLN.

Sam Russell - Goalkeeping coach and backup keeper in one. Did okay when called upon as a backup.

Charles Vernam - Technically Jolley didn't discover him, it was Slade who signed him on loan and Jolley inherited him but he did choose to pursue a permanent deal in his first full season in charge. Was pretty rubbish in his first season scoring just 3 league goals and couldn't make the team by his second season, got shipped out to Chorley where he bagged 3 goals in 4 games coming back with much more confidence and becoming a fan favourite in the second half of the season bagging 7 goals. Left us to join League One Burton after that. Will give this one his best signing of the list so far.

Wes Thomas - Decent veteran journeyman striker who came with a lot of experience at a higher level. Our top scorer and probably kept us up himself since we didn't have anybody else who could freely score goals.

Luke Hendrie - Good January signing as Jolly looked to shore up the defence. Put in some good performances during our decline back into the NL.

Sebastian Ring - Part of Jolley's Swedish experiment. Was not up to the standard and struggled to get a place in the team before leaving by mutual consent so he can return to Sweden.

Ludvig Öhman - Tall Swede who did better than Ring but constantly dogged with injuries. Pretty good at scoring own goals.

Matt Green - Journeyman signing most known for several spells at Mansfield Town. Known for being a lazy failure in most other places and was no different for us. The only thing worth remembering was a goal against Chelsea in the cup.

James Hanson - Towering Yorkshireman who won every single header that came his way,  well past his best but did actually try.

Elliott Hewitt - Decent utility player who slotted into defence or midfield. Took a while to find his best position by which time nobody cared.

Luke Waterfall - You'd probably forget he was a Jolley signing by now, did pretty awful under Jolley and then Holloway and Hurst. Hurst told him he could leave after we got relegated but he chose to stay and fight for a place. Ended up being our best player in a playoff winning instant return to league football. Dire as a Jolley signing initially though.

Moses Ogbu - Another piece of the Sweden puzzle, had played under Jolley in Sweden where he was pretty prolific. Had a cool sounding name and goal celebration but since he only scored twice for us we didn't get to see it much.

Jolley made some decent loan signings in his first season: Embleton, Pringle, Famewo Grayson. He also signed desperation signing Kristian Dennis in his bit to avoid the drop who was crap for us.

I think Hurst signed some good players on loan too when he came in but the difference is we didn't avoid relegation that time after Hurst inherited probably the worst squad we've ever had. Rollin Menayese, Jay Matete, El Mizouni looked good until injury. The first two almost kept us up on their own along with bringing in veteran Giles Coke and LJL who scored a couple of goals. He did sign Joe Bunney and Stefan Payne though so he's hardly crime free for transfers after coming back. In any case I don't think Jolley's signings were of a particularly higher standard than what we've got in the squad now. We were keen to keep most of last season's squad intact after a previous promotion winning squad was ripped apart and we achieved that minus Ben Fox. We are perhaps missing one or two experienced players but as we see on Jolley's list of permanent signings experience doesn't always equal good and we'd grown sick of mercenary signings by that point.

All 100% correct, to be fair to Jolley Getyourfactsstraight gave him very little money to play with and clearly his scouting network was p1ss poor.

We now have a head of recruitment and “some” flexibility in terms of being able to pay a fee, in all honesty we should be able to improve the squad even if it takes a couple of windows.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 130
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2023, 9:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Kris2

Like who?

Care to compare the above with Pepple, Simmonds, Orsi and Wearne. Arguable that Hessenthaler is a better player than either Green and Holohan too.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 130
Heisenberg
January 14, 2023, 9:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Care to comp the above with Pepple, Simmonds, Orsi and Wearne. Arguable that Hessenthaler is a better player than either Green and Holohan too.

Not for me, I think we have several midfielders better than Hessenthaler this season. But I do wonder if Clifton might actually be the answer in the middle? I’m not 100% on that, but he’s a warrior, no doubt.

I’m just praying Hurst gets the starting 11 right against Harrogate….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 130
Northbank Mariner
January 14, 2023, 10:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
I've got to get this off my chest, Macatee is half the player we had last season, if we'd signed him this season I honestly think we'd be questioning why.
The desire, grunt, full bloodiness, heart just doesn't seem to be there for me, he's missing chances he buried last year.
Now, I understand he's playing out of position, I get that, but I'm not having that as an excuse for his poor performances.

And on to today....why on earth did Hurst go away from the back 5 that worked so well against Stockport, Burton and Salford(at their place not ours).
Glennon  is definitely a better left back than Amos and his deliveries far superior.
Holohan worked his nuts off but can't pass,
Green just did what Green does
Efete was poor, time n time he let's the ball bounce rather than meeting the ball on the fall, something Maher is excellent at.
Clifton, not one of his better days it has to be said.
Smith, probably his worse performance in a town shirt tbh.
Mikey O'Neill, has good feet and looked comfortable receiving the ball, tidy player but doesn't seem to have any real pace.
All in all, it's the first time I've left early (85 minutes) and that game hurt,  that performance hurt but what really hurt was knowing mad gav will be having a beer laughing his t!ts off tonight!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 130
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2023, 10:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I've got to get this off my chest, Macatee is half the player we had last season, if we'd signed him this season I honestly think we'd be questioning why.
The desire, grunt, full bloodiness, heart just doesn't seem to be there for me, he's missing chances he buried last year.
Now, I understand he's playing out of position, I get that, but I'm not having that as an excuse for his poor performances.

And on to today....why on earth did Hurst go away from the back 5 that worked so well against Stockport, Burton and Salford(at their place not ours).
Glennon  is definitely a better left back than Amos and his deliveries far superior.
Efete was poor, time n time he let's the ball bounce rather than meeting the ball on the fall, something Maher is excellent at.
Mikey O'Neill, has good feet and looked comfortable receiving the ball, tidy player but doesn't seem to have any real pace.
All in all, it's the first time I've left early (85 minutes) and that game hurt,  that performance hurt but what really hurt was knowing mad gav will be having a beer laughing his t!ts off tonight!!

First thing I said to my wife at the end of the game. The thought of Gunning laughing at us really pishes me off.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 130
LH
January 14, 2023, 10:38pm

Quoted from immariner

Alright, so what does 5800 season ticket holders guarantee? A "huge fund"? Sorry mate but the maths doesn't stack up on that. It's little to no more revenue than 3500 season ticket holders and 1700 paying on the gate. It's not some massive war chest at all. The two best supported (much better than us) sides in the division, Bradford and Swindon are battling it out on the edge of the play offs but they should be first and second by a country mile then I guess.

This time last year we were what, 9/10th in the Conference. 16th in league 2 is demonstrably an improvement on that. No reason why with a couple of good signings we can't push on from here and hopefully finish the season strongly. I always thought that if we could finish higher than 14th, which would be our highest finish since 2007, that i'd be alright with that. I still think that. Maybe I'm unambitious or maybe I'm a realistic lower league football fan. Probably a bit of both

An unprecedented 5800 paying up front, during a summer transfer window? That number would be top 10 in the division on it’s own. Couple that with McAtee’s transfer fee (whilst maintaining his services) and it is a big budget at just the right time to invest. We’ve now got the guarantee of cup prize money to come too and we’ve been slow to move in the market. Again. Our main income comes from the football side of things and not commercial activity. That should be priority one and the other stuff afterwards. If we want to progress we need to maintain those season ticket numbers.

I get that the owners want to build the club to be self sufficient etc but the wave we should have been riding has knocked us off and lifeboat might be launched soon. And yes you are being a bit unambitious because we’re absolutely junk at the minute and have been for a while which isn’t acceptable.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 130
Rodley Mariner
January 14, 2023, 10:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Quoted from LH

An unprecedented 5800 paying up front, during a summer transfer window? That number would be top 10 in the division on it’s own. Couple that with McAtee’s transfer fee (whilst maintaining his services) and it is a big budget at just the right time to invest. We’ve now got the guarantee of cup prize money to come too and we’ve been slow to move in the market. Again. Our main income comes from the football side of things and not commercial activity. That should be priority one and the other stuff afterwards. If we want to progress we need to maintain those season ticket numbers.

I get that the owners want to build the club to be self sufficient etc but the wave we should have been riding has knocked us off and lifeboat might be launched soon. And yes you are being a bit unambitious because we’re absolutely junk at the minute and have been for a while which isn’t acceptable.

So do you want sustainability or not? Gillingham and Colchester aren't operating sustainably at the minute, they're spunking loads of cash in a panic. Do we honestly want to do the same? It might feel nice for the next few months or a couple of seasons even but what about in 5 years? I've read people say they have no sympathy for Scunny fans as they lorded it up when they overspent their way into the Championship but it appears to be exactly what a number of people want - 'show some ambition'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 130
Heisenberg
January 14, 2023, 10:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

So do you want sustainability or not? Gillingham and Colchester aren't operating sustainably at the minute, they're spunking loads of cash in a panic. Do we honestly want to do the same? It might feel nice for the next few months or a couple of seasons even but what about in 5 years? I've read people say they have no sympathy for Scunny fans as they lorded it up when they overspent their way into the Championship but it appears to be exactly what a number of people want - 'show some ambition'.

It’s different - all we want is to spend to ensure we’re not sucked into a relegation fight. Scunny spent like kings to chase the championship pound. Our desires, right now, are not even in the same ballpark, and shouldn’t be seen as too much to ask.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 130
MarinerDevil
January 14, 2023, 10:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
So we're 23rd in the 10-match form table. Whichever way you cut it, that has to be a concern.

I think it's quite evident now that we're lacking in most areas. That's expected to some extent given that we carried a lot of our National League side into this season after our miracle promotion, but we have a lot of work to do.

We have very little quality in midfield. Not one of them has both the physicality and ball control to turn away from pressure and reliably make good passing decisions. Morris sort of can but he's been injured and is out of form at present. Holohan and Clifton were great earlier in the season when they were at the heart of our energetic performances and, while we never blew away sides with sheer quality, we were able to press, win the ball high up the pitch and compete. But as we've entered the winter months and the pitches have got heavier, that energy has drained away and we look weak. All of our midfielders turn over possession far too easily.

All four full backs have given me reason to doubt they're good enough for this level. Glennon has a quality delivery on him to be fair and Efete's power is a great asset when he uses it, but their defensive positioning is woeful at times. Improvements needed.

And then there's the striker situation. It was definitely an error to completely base our system around an ageing Taylor with a history of injuries.

I like the personalities in the squad and I don't want to be too harsh given what many of them have achieved. It's not a time to overreact and I trust Hurst and the recruitment staff to continue pursuing the targets they identified. But yeah, there's no 'consolidating' in this league, we learned that last time. We'll quickly get stuck and start circling the L2 drain again. We should aim to be consolidating in L1 within 4/5 years, it's time to be a bit ruthless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 130
ginnywings
January 14, 2023, 11:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic

Aye. Bury spring to mind too.

Gillingham signed 4 players and played them all today. The new striker scored one and made one and they won 2-0. Happy days, but if in a year or so they are in admin, then the fans will be moaning long and loud.

It's a balancing act and we see what can happen when you get it wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 130
LH
January 14, 2023, 11:03pm

Gillingham have got an idiot American who thinks they’re a sleeping giant signing the cheques and Colchester have got no fans and a stadium to pay off. These aren’t good examples of the point you’re trying to make.

We’ve got fans already bought into the idea we might do something and we’ve rewarded them with crap at home all season.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 130
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2023, 11:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Aye. Bury spring to mind too.

Gillingham signed 4 players and played them all today. The new striker scored one and made one and they won 2-0. Happy days, but if in a year or so they are in admin, then the fans will be moaning long and loud.

It's a balancing act and we see what can happen when you get it wrong.

If we sign a striker who’s on double the money of the left back (we won’t), would that left back be drunk off? Probably not, as long as he was getting his win bonus 😉
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 130
Mayaman
January 15, 2023, 1:28am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from immariner

We did we go to four at the back?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 130
Mayaman
January 15, 2023, 1:47am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from gtfc_chris

He was.  Simple football really.  If you put in balls like Hutton did, your team is gonna score. Even if your front line is crap,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 130
Mayaman
January 15, 2023, 1:49am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from lukeo

McAtee looks like a man who is moving on.   Nonchalant at times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 130
Kris2
January 15, 2023, 2:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Hessenthaler was a good player. I disagree with some of the other comments about players to some degree, but you're way off target about him.

Tbh I always preferred James Tilley as our short midfielder who could pass a ball but got easily pushed around.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 130
Kris2
January 15, 2023, 2:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Care to compare the above with Pepple, Simmonds, Orsi and Wearne. Arguable that Hessenthaler is a better player than either Green and Holohan too.

Sure. The first two being young loan signings that are worse than most of our previous young loan signings. Orsi not been impressed whenever I've seen him but who on this list would I take over him? Wes Thomas I guess then I don't know. Taylor and Hanson are pretty similar players both past their best. Jury out on Wearne if he's going to come back and impress after getting game time on loan or flop. Honestly I never thought Hessenthaler was all that and probably a player who got better in the minds of fans after he left. Both Green and Holohan have impressed on their day so maybe will see how things work out for them by the end of the season. But no Orsi not up to the standard we need from a striker for me and seemed more like a backup option but with no big ticket signings coming off all summer he's somehow become all we have with a couple of kids the only other options. Pepple clearly in need of more development and Richardson having talent but still being young and not somebody we should be putting under pressure as our main outlet.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 130
Mayaman
January 15, 2023, 7:09am
Brandy Drinker

Well said.  McAtee did the job for us last season.  We were waiting for the "great hope" to come back from injury to get our season back on track.  Alas, he doesn't have that fire in his belly anymore.  He's made his move upwards.  Yes, we see flashes, but he isn't consistent.   I don't blame him.  I am grateful what he did but IMO he should have come off earlier. But I have the benefit of hindsight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 130
Rodley Mariner
January 15, 2023, 8:37am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Quoted from LH

Gillingham have got an idiot American who thinks they’re a sleeping giant signing the cheques and Colchester have got no fans and a stadium to pay off. These aren’t good examples of the point you’re trying to make.

We’ve got fans already bought into the idea we might do something and we’ve rewarded them with crap at home all season.

They are good examples of the point I'm making - it's why I used them. We have a large squad and some decent length contracts. We're also investing in infrastructure which will take longer to show dividends. We're not chucking money around in a blind panic but trying to build a more sustainable approach. If people think the squad is excrement that's fine but again do you want the owners to try to develop a long term sustainable strategy for the club or not?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 130
LH
January 15, 2023, 10:21am

Improving the squad and improving the club aren’t mutually exclusive. They definitely won’t have budgeted for the increased ticket sales. Agree to disagree.
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 130
Limerick Mariner
January 15, 2023, 10:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

SIT DOWN.

FOR THE MARINERS.

I think it's you lot down south SoC (not you personally of course). I thought the noise at Wimbledon was a bit weak for the great numbers (1000+ for a 12.30 KO), northern games seem to generate better noise. Are our southern exiles more polite happy clapper types?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 130
Son of Cod
January 15, 2023, 10:43am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

I think it's you lot down south SoC (not you personally of course). I thought the noise at Wimbledon was a bit weak for the great numbers (1000+ for a 12.30 KO), northern games seem to generate better noise. Are our southern exiles more polite happy clapper types?

Yeah, this has been talked about before to be honest and I think there's definitely something in it. Agreed Wimbledon wasn't great but it was better than yesterday. I was in the corner bit there though as I got in late. Having said that, one of the flattest atmospheres I remember was away at York on a Tuesday one year when we lost 1-0, packed away end but weirdly silent. Whereas, one of the best away days for noise last season was Torquay so there are definitely expectations to this but I do think the Southern away ones are more likely to be quieter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 130
lukeo
January 15, 2023, 10:50am
Season Ticket Holder
Son of cod you need to calm down. Not everyone is their to vocally back the team. I was sat in that section and most around me were over 50 if not 60.  Also until we went 2/3-0 down I think you'll find most of us joined in, just didn't stand up every time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 130
ginnywings
January 15, 2023, 10:57am

Recovering Alcoholic
Hard to get excited as a fan when you get battered.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 130
January 15, 2023, 11:18am
Guest User
Quoted from LH

How do you know what PH and the recruiting staff have been doing?  PH said the other day that he had an offer for a player turned down, how do we know he hasn't made other offers too?  We don't, unless we live in his office with him. Every transfer window we get these sort of posts which don't take into account the numerous problems that I'm sure the club has to deal with to get a player to sign on the dotted line.  I've said this before and will say it again, the Transfer Window is not a supermarket where you see something you want on a shelf, and pick it up and drop it in your basket and it's yours!

Reply: 88 - 130
HerveJosse
January 15, 2023, 11:18am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Son of Cod

People might not like what I said but it's true. The vast majority of our fans may have not bothered turning up because they didn't make a peep. I get that not everyone makes noise but you're talking about 70/80% of our support today quiet as mice.

Unbelievable. In the great quadrilateral of what is needed for a successful football club Manager, Players , Owners Fans there is one group that’s performed miles ahead of the rest this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 130
Son of Cod
January 15, 2023, 11:22am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
Son of cod you need to calm down. Not everyone is their to vocally back the team. I was sat in that section and most around me where over 50 if not 60.  Also until we went 2/3-0 down I think you'll find most of us joined in, just didn't stand up every time.

Most of the people in that section joined in? With all due respect, that's absolute nonsense and you know it. It's not an age thing either, there were older people at the back and down the left hand side making noise and there were plenty of younger people in that large section in my photograph. Like I said, I get that not everybody is gonna stand and chant for the entire match but you want that to make up the minority of the support not the majority. I realise posting that pic last night was a very provocative way of raising the argument so apologies if it upset people, but I stand by the sentiment that it upset people because it was bang on. The truth hurts and all that. People don't want to be told that their support isn't good, yet we're the first ones to wax lyrical about ourselves when we're loud. Yesterday our support vocally as a collective was abysmal. Anyone arguing the toss against that is deluded.

Quoted from ginnywings
Hard to get excited as a fan when you get battered.

Were we getting battered in the first half?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 130
LH
January 15, 2023, 11:24am

Quoted from 123614

How do you know what PH and the recruiting staff have been doing?  PH said the other day that he had an offer for a player turned down, how do we know he hasn't made other offers too?  We don't, unless we live in his office with him. Every transfer window we get these sort of posts which don't take into account the numerous problems that I'm sure the club has to deal with to get a player to sign on the dotted line.  I've said this before and will say it again, the Transfer Window is not a supermarket where you see something you want on a shelf, and pick it up and drop it in your basket and it's yours!

How do I know we’ve been slow to move in the market? Its halfway through the month we get to sign players and we’ve made one loan signing (after being told we were looking at permanent signings). I don’t need to be sat in an office to see that.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 130
January 15, 2023, 11:31am
Guest User
Quoted from LH

How do I know we’ve been slow to move in the market? Its halfway through the month we get to sign players and we’ve made one loan signing (after being told we were looking at permanent signings). I don’t need to be sat in an office to see that.

But you can't say that, why, because you don't have a clue how many players PH is talking to, has talked to, has made a bid for, have categorically turned an offer down, don't want to come to Cleethorpes, etc.etc.

You and I don't know that, for all we know he could have made several bids and is waiting for replies, we don't know that either, so your original post is b0ll0cks!
Reply: 92 - 130
LH
January 15, 2023, 11:44am

So if we haven’t secured any or many of these deals you might say that is slow moving?
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 130
lukeo
January 15, 2023, 12:03pm
Season Ticket Holder
In fairness fella I am usually a massive fan of creating noise and usually love a good old sing song but after the sending off I felt deflated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 130
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2023, 12:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LH
So if we haven’t secured any or many of these deals you might say that is slow moving?

The January window generally moves slower as very few players are out of contract and don’t need to move to pay their mortgage.

Also agents, players and clubs know that a club will pay a bit more towards the end of the window, whether that’s in terms of a fee, wage or % of a loanees salary so it seems like moves are more protracted in January.

Everyone in this board has one thing in common and that they truly don’t know what we are and aren’t doing in terms of recruiting.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 130
Son of Cod
January 15, 2023, 12:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
In fairness fella I am usually a massive fan of creating noise and usually love a good old sing song but after the sending off I felt deflated.

Yeah I'm not gonna be arguing against that, that was very deflating.

Certainly one of those days that makes you question what you're doing with your Saturdays!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 130
realist
January 15, 2023, 2:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
So many defending the current management team that have proven themselves to be totally inept in the transfer market. We will end up with the usual cross and loanees as before. We need a new manager asap.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 130
Wedidntdidwe
January 15, 2023, 2:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +377
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from realist
So many defending the current management team that have proven themselves to be totally inept in the transfer market. We will end up with the usual cross and loanees as before. We need a new manager asap.  

2 promotion squads built here and a playoff squad at Shrewsbury, what's your expertise, forum troll?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 130
chaos33
January 15, 2023, 2:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from realist

Just what we need - the return of a proven miserable buffoon. Realist my @rse. The opposite of that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 130
headingly_mariner
January 15, 2023, 3:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,392
Gold Stars: 120
The reality is we are closer to the play offs than relegation, we are in the 4th round of the cup with a chance of getting into the 5th round. We've got 2 weeks of the window left and half a season of games to improve.

Things could improve to be very exciting. More likely is we will cement our place in league 2 and build for next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 130
pen penfras
January 15, 2023, 4:03pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner
The reality is we are closer to the play offs than relegation, we are in the 4th round of the cup with a chance of getting into the 5th round. We've got 2 weeks of the window left and half a season of games to improve.

Things could improve to be very exciting. More likely is we will cement our place in league 2 and build for next year.

You can look at it like that, or like our form is 23rd over the last 10 games. Slade had us in the playoffs at the end of November the season we nearly went down. The teams down at the bottom are improving, if we don't then relegation is a real possibility.

Not that I think we will go down, but there's some misguided optimism that we're nailed on to stay up because the bottom teams were so bad for the first 15 or so games, they're spending to fix that and we aren't. Our confidence from the end of last season is well and truly gone. Promoted sides are often worse in the second half of the season when the bounce is over and the other teams figure them out.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 130
January 15, 2023, 4:15pm
Guest User
Quoted from realist

Grow up and try using your brain before you type.

Reply: 102 - 130
chaos33
January 15, 2023, 4:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

You can look at it like that, or like our form is 23rd over the last 10 games. Slade had us in the playoffs at the end of November the season we nearly went down. The teams down at the bottom are improving, if we don't then relegation is a real possibility.

Not that I think we will go down, but there's some misguided optimism that we're nailed on to stay up because the bottom teams were so bad for the first 15 or so games, they're spending to fix that and we aren't. Our confidence from the end of last season is well and truly gone. Promoted sides are often worse in the second half of the season when the bounce is over and the other teams figure them out.

Can you give us some examples of the money spent/players signed by Rochdale, Hartlepool, Harrogate, Crawley etc and your assessment on the quality of those players so we can start a balanced assessment of who’s doing what, and don’t get sucked into an alarmist, negative, moany swamp.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 130
January 15, 2023, 4:43pm
Guest User
@ pen penfras.  Sorry to pick you out, but your post was the last I read.

So, hypothetically, if you were the Manager of GTFC, how would you go about buying a suitable striker for the team?

Lets see, you know the striker you want and you make a bid to the club for X amount of money.  The club turns it down so after much thought you offer them XX amount, again it is turned down.  So you add a couple of clauses and a few more XX's, and the cub accepts the bid, HURRAH!

Now you have to speak to the player about his contract, after 3 attempts to entice him to the club with very good weekly wage offers, in fact the top wage earner in the club, he refuses and wants more.  You can't pay him any more, so it's a No Sale.

What if this same scenario happens two or three times with different players, maybe with different reasons not to sign, what do you do then?
Reply: 104 - 130
Northbank Mariner
January 15, 2023, 5:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 123614

So, hypothetically, if you were the Manager of GTFC, how would you go about buying a suitable striker for the team?

Lets see, you know the striker you want and you make a bid to the club for X amount of money.  The club turns it down so after much thought you offer them XX amount, again it is turned down.  So you add a couple of clauses and a few more XX's, and the cub accepts the bid, HURRAH!

Now you have to speak to the player about his contract, after 3 attempts to entice him to the club with very good weekly wage offers, in fact the top wage earner in the club, he refuses and wants more.  You can't pay him any more, so it's a No Sale.

What if this same scenario happens two or three times with different players, maybe with different reasons not to sign, what do you do then?

A la Mudryk....Arsenal would not break their wage structure, Chelsea with their bottomless pockets just paid and agreed to whatever his agent asked for!..
Unfortunately at our level, there are multiple factors why a player will chose, for the sake of the discussion, say Barrow over us, its never just the money on offer because in reality there's not a huge difference between 2 and 3k a week, our best bargaining tool would have to be length of contract, could we offer 3 years, over 2 years?...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 130
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2023, 5:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker

A la Mudryk....Arsenal would not break their wage structure, Chelsea with their bottomless pockets just paid and agreed to whatever his agent asked for!..
Unfortunately at our level, there are multiple factors why a player will chose, for the sake of the discussion, say Barrow over us, its never just the money on offer because in reality there's not a huge difference between 2 and 3k a week, our best bargaining tool would have to be length of contract, could we offer 3 years, over 2 years?...

I think Barrow train in Manchester during the week and travel to Barrow every 2nd weekend for games

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 130
Nutsy
January 15, 2023, 5:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +157
Gold Stars: 5
I would like to see Paul be more adventurous with the line up, rather than inviting pressure and playing to defend first.

O'Neill
Khan-McAtee-Kiernan
Clifton Hunt
Glennon-Maher-Smith-Efete
Crocombe

Something like the above, and utilise Clifton's pressing and energy.

No idea why Hunt is not getting a look as we paid a fee and he could be a difference maker in tight games. I admit we need to improve defensively and we are still waiting for the elusive striker..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 130
pen penfras
January 15, 2023, 5:46pm

Cocktail Drinker

You think there's not much difference between 2k and 3k a week? Unless you're a millionaire, there's a massive difference.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 130
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2023, 5:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

You think there's not much difference between 2k and 3k a week? Unless you're a millionaire, there's a massive difference.

I know you’re not being specific and it’s just an example/point made but if we were to start paying players £150K a year I’d be a bit worried. I suspect there are quite a few L2 clubs that wouldn’t blink at it which also begs the question if a player was good enough to be paid that by Town what could they get elsewhere closer to home or at a club in a promotion position?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 130
Northbank Mariner
January 15, 2023, 5:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

In relative terms, its not, 2k on 3 years or 3k on 2 years?. Equates the same but for a footballer an extra year of security means more, allows them to settle, get kids in school, build a social life....small gains but be the difference during contract negotiations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 130
headingly_mariner
January 15, 2023, 5:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,392
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from pen penfras

I'm fairly confident the only time we occupied a play off spot that season was after the opening day win at Chesterfield. Other than that our highest league position that season was 11th. Am I wrong?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 130
lukeo
January 15, 2023, 6:09pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Nutsy
I would like to see Paul be more adventurous with the line up, rather than inviting pressure and playing to defend first.

O'Neill
Khan-McAtee-Kiernan
Clifton Hunt
Crocombe

No idea why Hunt is not getting a look as we paid a fee and he could be a difference maker in tight games. I admit we need to improve defensively and we are still waiting for the elusive striker..

Green in for mcatee and I agree with you. 433/4123.
McAtee has undoubted talent but he's been way off these past few games. Noone is undroppable, we need 11 hard working battling players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 130
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2023, 6:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lukeo

Green in for mcatee and I agree with you. 433/4123.
McAtee has undoubted talent but he's been way off these past few games. Noone is undroppable, we need 11 hard working battling players.

Green in for McAtee?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 130
pen penfras
January 15, 2023, 6:16pm

Cocktail Drinker

In relative terms, its not, 2k on 3 years or 3k on 2 years?. Equates the same but for a footballer an extra year of security means more, allows them to settle, get kids in school, build a social life....small gains but be the difference during contract negotiations.

Come on, nobody in their right mind takes 2k for 3 years over 3k for 2 years. There's the gamble that you might get injured and you've lost a bit of money by paying more tax but every person on this forum would take that gamble.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 130
chaos33
January 15, 2023, 6:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Can you give us some examples of the money spent/players signed by Rochdale, Hartlepool, Harrogate, Crawley etc and your assessment on the quality of those players so we can start a balanced assessment of who’s doing what, and don’t get sucked into an alarmist, negative, moany swamp.

You can’t, can you penfras.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 130
HerveJosse
January 15, 2023, 6:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from 123614

I would think I am in the wrong job
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 130
ginnywings
January 15, 2023, 6:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from pontoonlew

I like that people have different points of view and I enjoy the debate that brings (except maybe with you, given how much you take everything to heart).

What boils my urine is when opinions are lambasted as negative and just dismissed. People are paying damn good money for this and it’s absolutely abysmal.

I get the anger and frustration, and you're right to voice it, but all fans pay good money to watch their team and they can't all be winning games every week, that's how a league structure works.

For every good side, there are two that are not so good. There's the top eight, the mid table eight, which we are in, just, and the bottom eight, two of whom will be relegated into the abyss.

We've been in this league for half a season and are above sides who have been established a lot longer in it than we have. Their fans pay good money too, but as fans, we support the team and hope for the best. If we are still struggling at the end of the season, then yeah, have a rant, but there is a long way to go yet.

We have games in hand, a slightly more agreeable set of fixtures coming up and 2 weeks left of the window, so I'd say it's not yet abysmal myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 130
Phil the cod
January 15, 2023, 7:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Quoted from immariner

How come all these other clubs seem to carry the momentum of promotion into a new season and gain a further promotion or have a good go at it at least?
We have no ambition from the manager or owners other than to "consolidate" our position, why? Why not kick on whilst we had the chance, oh wait, we failed to prepare by not signing decent players despite the likes of desi and Abrahams wanting to stay.
I would of fancied us to do something with those two up front instead of the children loanees which other more savvy clubs seem to lumber us with to "toughen them up" we can't afford to keep making the same mistakes every season if we are to progress.
Other clubs can do it, even the gimps did it.
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 130
ginnywings
January 15, 2023, 7:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Phil the cod

How come all these other clubs seem to carry the momentum of promotion into a new season and gain a further promotion or have a good go at it at least?
We have no ambition from the manager or owners other than to "consolidate" our position, why? Why not kick on whilst we had the chance, oh wait, we failed to prepare by not signing decent players despite the likes of desi and Abrahams wanting to stay.
I would of fancied us to do something with those two up front instead of the children loanees which other more savvy clubs seem to lumber us with to "toughen them up" we can't afford to keep making the same mistakes every season if we are to progress.
Other clubs can do it, even the gimps did it.

Sorry, but the Gimps "consolidated" for a season and then went up the following one.

For every club that gets a second promotion, there are at least 2 that don't. Where are Hartlepool for instance? Newport etc etc.

York got back in the league, then plummeted back 2 more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 130
Phil the cod
January 15, 2023, 7:13pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Quoted from ginnywings

Sorry, but the Gimps "consolidated" for a season and then went up the following one.

For every club that gets a second promotion, there are at least 2 that don't. Where are Hartlepool for instance? Newport etc etc.

Ok, I accept your facts on this.
But, at the end of the day we are still a big club in this division and should not be accepting what is being served up especially at home in front of 3000 new season ticket holders.
Just for a change, let's sign some decent players,spend some of this mythical money that's available,and have a go at it, there's still time.
We don't have to be "little old Grimsby" do we?
We are being outcompeted by pub teams like Salford and Harrogate.
Fair play to the likes of Swindon and Northampton, but we should be looking at being up there with them, they are no bigger than us.
FF sake Hurst and the board, show some balls and fighting spirit.
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 130
Limerick Mariner
January 15, 2023, 7:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
So what is the record length of a Just Back thread?

I guess this nowt compared to the Braintree 5-0 mins…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 130
ginnywings
January 15, 2023, 7:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Phil the cod

But, at the end of the day we are still a big club in this division and should not be accepting what is being served up especially at home in front of 3000 new season ticket holders.
Just for a change, let's sign some decent players,spend some of this mythical money that's available,and have a go at it, there's still time.
Fair play to the likes of Swindon and Northampton, but we should be looking at being up there with them, they are no bigger than us.

Don't get me wrong, I want us to be playing sexy football and pushing for promotion, but the reality is that in most cases it takes time to re-establish yourself after a period in the doldrums.

We did the hard bit getting out of non league so quickly, probably too quickly in terms of where we expected to be this season. It's clear we need better players and I'm sure in time we will get them.

You mention Salford but they have a significantly bigger budget than us and have many clubs on their doorstep to cherry pick from. Harrogate are exremely well run but didn't get to where they are overnight. It took them many seasons of gradual improvement and yes, they are probably punching above their weight, but in time, we have a much better chance than they do of moving up the leagues and sustaining it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 130
Northbank Mariner
January 15, 2023, 7:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Phil the cod

Harrogate are not outcompeting us, Salford have a billionaire backer...we could never compete with them.
Swindon has 11000 in the ground yesterday and average 8000+ gates and are definitely bigger than us, again Northampton paying wages of up to 6k a week, no chance we can compete with that.
The one thing we will never know is what funds is made available to Hurst, so saying have some balls is a null point, or let's do a North Ferriby shall we, chuck shed loads of cash at it, bankrupt the club in the search if the whole grail of league 1!...
I'll take slow sustained growth, but I won't accept is living beyond our means.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 130
spuggybridge
January 15, 2023, 8:08pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +41
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Nutsy

O'Neill
Khan-McAtee-Kiernan
Clifton Hunt
Crocombe

I have to agree with this, I too think Paul Hurst is, a times too defensive and would love to see him be more adventurous in his line up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 130
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 15, 2023, 8:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from ginnywings

Well Ginny consolidation included making the playoffs where they were beaten by Exeter. They also had at least 4 players Borthwick, Frecklington, Shackell and Akinde on between 3 and 4k per week so consolidation was not their aim, it was promotion. I’m not expecting Town to put themselves at financial risk but reading these threads why do any of you live in Grimsby or Cleethorpes sounds horrific!!

I’ve lived in Lincoln for 45 years but have on more than one occasion applied for jobs in Grimsby and would have been happy to move there, think this particular argument is very weak personally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 130
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2023, 8:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Phil the cod
at the end of the day we are still a big club in this division .

There’s a good dozen clubs that probably say the same I suspect.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 130
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2023, 8:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Well Ginny consolidation included making the playoffs where they were beaten by Exeter. They also had at least 4 players Borthwick, Frecklington, Shackell and Akinde on between 3 and 4k per week so consolidation was not their aim, it was promotion. I’m not expecting Town to put themselves at financial risk but reading these threads why do any of you live in Grimsby or Cleethorpes sounds horrific!!

I’ve lived in Lincoln for 45 years but have on more than one occasion applied for jobs in Grimsby and would have been happy to move there, think this particular argument is very weak personally.

Can you play number 9?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 130
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 15, 2023, 8:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Can you play number 9?

I could when I was younger but evidently Grimsby don’t pay enough so I would have signed for Chesterfield 😀😀😀😄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 130
Northbank Mariner
January 15, 2023, 10:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

If you know the area as we do, then its weak, but the players we hope to attract generally have no idea what its like, using Google alone can make the area sound horrific.
I moved out 23 years ago, unfortunately to the land of the mud rats, but I'd move back tomorrow, nothing feels more like home as I pass pyewipe, hoards of boarded up shops down Grimsby/,Cleethorpes Road, the aroma of smoking haddock filling my lungs...and do you know what, I love my home town and its people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 130
Captaincod
January 15, 2023, 10:43pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +247
Gold Stars: 15
I can see both sides of all the arguments in this thread , there are those that think PH can do nothing wrong and those who think he’s the devil incarnate. I think we need a dose of reality though.
This time last year we were 10th in the national league and 5 points off the play offs. Is there anyone on here who wouldn’t have accepted being 14th in league 2 and 11 points above relegation at the same point this year?
Before I’m called a happy clapper I’ve never been a fan of his brand of safety first football. I’m as frustrated as everyone else. The new signings have been hit and miss , the home form unacceptable , player turnover to high and it’s been obvious to everyone that we’ve needed another decent centre forward for 18 months.
In my opinion though after last years heroics he’s earned his chance to carry on for at least this season.
After finishing 6th it was obvious we weren’t going to smash this league even in the eyes of the most optimistic. Yes we have had  a lot of extra revenue and I was also hoping for the marquee striker like everyone else, but it’s not that easy.
Would you rather he urined the money up the wall like a kid in the candy shop as Bignot did? How many of his signings were successful ?
Let’s see what the transfer window brings and judge him at the end of the season. Be careful what you wish for, chopping and changing managers hasn’t brought us much success. Stand by your team.
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 130
14 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.