Heisenberg
January 14, 2023, 5:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
I'm normally pretty positive on here and a big fan of Hurst I've no doubt he is the man to sort it out.. however I'm concerned with how weak we look all over the park think next couple of players brought in need to be good league standard players who might cost a bit..

That’s pretty much what I was gonna post too.

I’ve actually really enjoyed having a ST this season but I am now concerned we’re getting dragged into a relegation dog fight. However, win next Saturday - which I think we will - and we’ll all (well, nearly all) be happy as Larry.

Some strong, experienced signings would be good though. The young loanees like Pepple and Simmonds just didn’t work out.

We need to put even more daylight between us and the bottom two.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 130
barralad
January 14, 2023, 5:45pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from pontoonlew
We have somehow managed to be so bad that we made it look like we were playing in a hurricane.

Shite performance and it should be a wake up call for those fans who have buried their heads in the sand, although the other shite performances over the past 8 weeks should’ve done that.

Hurst is a bad transfer window from genuine pressure, no more excuses now because we’re sleep walking into mediocrity and it’s completely our fault.

The heads in the sand comment is pure hyperbole. I'm sat on the bus with 50 dedicated Town fans not one of whom doesn't realise we have significant problems.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 130
gtfc_chris
January 14, 2023, 5:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,506
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from cardiffmariner

I don't think we will either but today's performance (and others recently) suggest we shouldn't be complacent about this.

Swindon were a real cut above today and showed how far we have to go before we can genuinely compete at the top end of the table. We're not particularly strong in any area but, for me, today again showed how we don't have any full backs on the books good enough to take us forward.

I thought Hutton was fantastic today for them. Probably not the done thing to be in praise of the opposition but to reference your point his delivery was excellent and it makes you wonder what sort of impact that could have for us if he were here.

That isn’t meant to be damning on Michee, I don’t think he’s stepped up just yet albeit with a few games that he excelled in.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 130
arryarryarry
January 14, 2023, 5:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Just listened to Paul Hurst going off on one against JT.

The guy just can't take criticism.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 130
Simon
January 14, 2023, 5:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from immariner
This season is a bonus season when you look at where we were at this point last season and the 95th minute at Notts County. We're not getting relegated, it's as simple as that. Obviously I'd prefer it if we were challenging for the play offs but we're not. Unnecessary drama

Wish people would stop saying this, in football you can never just tick over you either strive to push on or get left behind there are no free passes

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 130
DB
January 14, 2023, 5:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
A poor post match interview from JT. He questioned Hurst about the Hartlepool game and Hursty snapped his head off, so JT backed down.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 130
cardiffmariner
January 14, 2023, 5:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,320
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from gtfc_chris

I thought Hutton was fantastic today for them. Probably not the done thing to be in praise of the opposition but to reference your point his delivery was excellent and it makes you wonder what sort of impact that could have for us if he were here.

That isn’t meant to be damning on Michee, I don’t think he’s stepped up just yet albeit with a few games that he excelled in.

Agreed. And just to echo your point, I'm not into slating individuals etc and don't doubt that the current players are giving their all. Just think we lack the necessary quality and consistency in this area.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 130
lew chaterleys lover
January 14, 2023, 5:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from immariner
This season is a bonus season when you look at where we were at this point last season and the 95th minute at Notts County. We're not getting relegated, it's as simple as that. Obviously I'd prefer it if we were challenging for the play offs but we're not. Unnecessary drama

You have to kick on. There is no such thing as consolidation - the club said as much at the start of the season when they said we are not here to make the numbers up.

We will be here to make the numbers up though if the message doesn't get through that being a force in league football, even in league 2 is a very expensive business. You need to invest a lot of money in proven players to have any chance at all, and it continually looks like we don't want to spend the money necessary.

If we cannot afford it, then fine, but we will not be a force in league football, because whatever your well-meaning motives if you don't give enough resources for players then other clubs will, and we will be back to square one.

For the type of player we are trying to attract, there is no excuse about location or anything like that - we attract loads of players to Grimsby but not enough of the quality needed.

We are now on the back foot a bit in this window; had we made our intentions clear on January 1st and got one of the seemingly endless players Hurst "is aware of" it sets the tone.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 130
lukeo
January 14, 2023, 5:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149
Swindon are the best team I've seen all season. We could have scored a couple first half but they dominated throughout, especially once we'd gone down to 10. Midfield runners, winger who can cross, a striker who can header...
We move on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 130
ginnywings
January 14, 2023, 6:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pontoonlew
We have somehow managed to be so bad that we made it look like we were playing in a hurricane.

Shite performance and it should be a wake up call for those fans who have buried their heads in the sand, although the other shite performances over the past 8 weeks should’ve done that.

Hurst is a bad transfer window from genuine pressure, no more excuses now because we’re sleep walking into mediocrity and it’s completely our fault.

Yeah, if only we were all as savvy as you.

We are a middling league 2 side who just got our bottom$ handed to us by a much better team. It happens

We need new and better players. The fans know it, the board know it and the manager knows it. You haven't spotted anything most fans don't know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 130
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.