Rodley Mariner
January 14, 2023, 10:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,280
Gold Stars: 186
Quoted from LH

An unprecedented 5800 paying up front, during a summer transfer window? That number would be top 10 in the division on it’s own. Couple that with McAtee’s transfer fee (whilst maintaining his services) and it is a big budget at just the right time to invest. We’ve now got the guarantee of cup prize money to come too and we’ve been slow to move in the market. Again. Our main income comes from the football side of things and not commercial activity. That should be priority one and the other stuff afterwards. If we want to progress we need to maintain those season ticket numbers.

I get that the owners want to build the club to be self sufficient etc but the wave we should have been riding has knocked us off and lifeboat might be launched soon. And yes you are being a bit unambitious because we’re absolutely junk at the minute and have been for a while which isn’t acceptable.

So do you want sustainability or not? Gillingham and Colchester aren't operating sustainably at the minute, they're spunking loads of cash in a panic. Do we honestly want to do the same? It might feel nice for the next few months or a couple of seasons even but what about in 5 years? I've read people say they have no sympathy for Scunny fans as they lorded it up when they overspent their way into the Championship but it appears to be exactly what a number of people want - 'show some ambition'.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 130
Heisenberg
January 14, 2023, 10:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,108
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

So do you want sustainability or not? Gillingham and Colchester aren't operating sustainably at the minute, they're spunking loads of cash in a panic. Do we honestly want to do the same? It might feel nice for the next few months or a couple of seasons even but what about in 5 years? I've read people say they have no sympathy for Scunny fans as they lorded it up when they overspent their way into the Championship but it appears to be exactly what a number of people want - 'show some ambition'.

It’s different - all we want is to spend to ensure we’re not sucked into a relegation fight. Scunny spent like kings to chase the championship pound. Our desires, right now, are not even in the same ballpark, and shouldn’t be seen as too much to ask.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 130
MarinerDevil
January 14, 2023, 10:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,805
Gold Stars: 81
So we're 23rd in the 10-match form table. Whichever way you cut it, that has to be a concern.

I think it's quite evident now that we're lacking in most areas. That's expected to some extent given that we carried a lot of our National League side into this season after our miracle promotion, but we have a lot of work to do.

We have very little quality in midfield. Not one of them has both the physicality and ball control to turn away from pressure and reliably make good passing decisions. Morris sort of can but he's been injured and is out of form at present. Holohan and Clifton were great earlier in the season when they were at the heart of our energetic performances and, while we never blew away sides with sheer quality, we were able to press, win the ball high up the pitch and compete. But as we've entered the winter months and the pitches have got heavier, that energy has drained away and we look weak. All of our midfielders turn over possession far too easily.

All four full backs have given me reason to doubt they're good enough for this level. Glennon has a quality delivery on him to be fair and Efete's power is a great asset when he uses it, but their defensive positioning is woeful at times. Improvements needed.

And then there's the striker situation. It was definitely an error to completely base our system around an ageing Taylor with a history of injuries.

I like the personalities in the squad and I don't want to be too harsh given what many of them have achieved. It's not a time to overreact and I trust Hurst and the recruitment staff to continue pursuing the targets they identified. But yeah, there's no 'consolidating' in this league, we learned that last time. We'll quickly get stuck and start circling the L2 drain again. We should aim to be consolidating in L1 within 4/5 years, it's time to be a bit ruthless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 130
ginnywings
January 14, 2023, 11:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548

Aye. Bury spring to mind too.

Gillingham signed 4 players and played them all today. The new striker scored one and made one and they won 2-0. Happy days, but if in a year or so they are in admin, then the fans will be moaning long and loud.

It's a balancing act and we see what can happen when you get it wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 130
LH
January 14, 2023, 11:03pm

Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,618
Gold Stars: 178

Gillingham have got an idiot American who thinks they’re a sleeping giant signing the cheques and Colchester have got no fans and a stadium to pay off. These aren’t good examples of the point you’re trying to make.

We’ve got fans already bought into the idea we might do something and we’ve rewarded them with crap at home all season.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 130
MuddyWaters
January 14, 2023, 11:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,294
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

Aye. Bury spring to mind too.

Gillingham signed 4 players and played them all today. The new striker scored one and made one and they won 2-0. Happy days, but if in a year or so they are in admin, then the fans will be moaning long and loud.

It's a balancing act and we see what can happen when you get it wrong.

If we sign a striker who’s on double the money of the left back (we won’t), would that left back be drunk off? Probably not, as long as he was getting his win bonus 😉
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 130
Mayaman
January 15, 2023, 1:28am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,462
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from immariner

I completely agree about the full backs being our weakest area (other than obviously strikers). Efete and Amos simply are never going to get forward and put crosses into the box like he can. We need to stick to 3 CBs too, we're too weak as a 4.

I'd also say for how well stocked we are in the middle we just don't have anyone like Saidou Khan. So composed on the ball, always turning out of tight spaces, getting on the front foot. Just the sort of player we need.

We did we go to four at the back?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 130
Mayaman
January 15, 2023, 1:47am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from gtfc_chris

I thought Hutton was fantastic today for them. Probably not the done thing to be in praise of the opposition but to reference your point his delivery was excellent and it makes you wonder what sort of impact that could have for us if he were here.

That isn’t meant to be damning on Michee, I don’t think he’s stepped up just yet albeit with a few games that he excelled in.

He was.  Simple football really.  If you put in balls like Hutton did, your team is gonna score. Even if your front line is crap,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 130
Mayaman
January 15, 2023, 1:49am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
OK I'm finally home and my original post was kind on the players.
To build on that I think Smith needs to be replaced with Pearson for next game. Mcatee should have come off alot sooner than he did aswell.. I said it the other week but he's not half the player he was before his op, not skill wise just body language and movement around the pitch.
On a positive I felt the new lad looked good. Just needs support around him.

McAtee looks like a man who is moving on.   Nonchalant at times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 130
Kris2
January 15, 2023, 2:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,636
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Maringer
Hessenthaler was a good player. I disagree with some of the other comments about players to some degree, but you're way off target about him.

Tbh I always preferred James Tilley as our short midfielder who could pass a ball but got easily pushed around.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 130
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.