Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chesterfield.....Match Thread
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 54 Guests

Chesterfield.....Match Thread

This thread currently has 32,137 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Bignic69
August 15, 2021, 8:54am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Gelling issues are genuine at the beginning of the season especially when a squad has been overhauled. What we cant be doing is saying the same things in October/November time, then it is just an excuse!

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 252
ska face
August 15, 2021, 9:15am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,917
Gold Stars: 854
How is it that anyone disagreeing with the doom mongers, in even the mildest terms, are suddenly trying to ‘silence’ others or shout them down? Same victim mentality that seems to follow them about.

You can have endless discussions about everything that’s wrong with the team, but the merest suggestion that things might not actually be so bad, or a matter of life & death, or a sacking issue after 5 games, and YOU’RE irrational.
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 252
lew chaterleys lover
August 15, 2021, 9:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,817
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from jamesgtfc

A few of us have asked for a number of examples of teams that have signed 15+ players and gone on to achieve promotion.

There aren't many...

I am sure there are. It is the modern trend in football, especially in the lower leagues when players are on short term contracts. Player churn is inevitable at a lot of clubs. Most of the players on our books now are on short term contracts so stability is unlikely. Those who do well will attract interest elsewhere especially if we don't go up so the idea of hanging on to our best players for a few seasons till we get the team we would like is fanciful.

It is actually unusual to see many clubs having a longer-term plan at all - so many managers lose their jobs when success does not arrive quickly enough, a new manager comes in wanting his own players, so out with the old and in with the new to see if the right balance can be found.

Since December Hurst has already done this twice, so he must have some faith in it. He chose not to try to get the best out of Holloways team which did include some good players but they had been let down; he thought he could do better by bringing in basically another team of "his" players. That did not work so he has had another go at it so if it doesn't work again why does he continue to keep doing it?  

Lets hope he hits on the right formula, but if the budget is not top notch for the low level we are at he will always struggle a bit.    
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 252
Roast Em Bobby
August 15, 2021, 9:36am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,729
Gold Stars: 44
If you look at the predictions thread on this forum the vast majority think we'll finish in the play-off places. I tend to agree with this.

If the four or five posters on here, who seem hell bent on the idea that it's automatic promotion this season or the club is forever doomed, want to set themselves up for a season of disappointment and moaning then leave them to it.

Personally I'm just looking forward to a season where we will win more than we lose - which will be quite a novelty compared to the last five seasons in the football league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 252
Croxton
August 15, 2021, 9:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 35
As far as 'gelling' is concerned I think most of our more recent recruits have settled well. Efete, Longe King, Crookes, Fox, McAtee and Sousa seem solid and Revan looks a most adaptable squad player. Hunt was impressive from the kick off.

Hurst may bemoan the injury list but Grant, Lenny, Taylor, Scannell, Wright  etc. are already beginning to weigh heavy on our backroom resources. Whoever else is brought in, preferably a goalscorer, will have athleticism/fitness as a given. We look to be setting up as a counterattacking side away from home so pace is as important as finishing skills.

Will Bapaga fluffed his lines a bit by going to ground too easy and losing possession. I am sure Doig will be in his ear if he tries too many flicks and tricks in his own half. He deserves another chance but from the bench.

It was puzzling to see how much prep Macca got before the game compared to Crocombe who seemed to be treated like the new Battersby as ball fetcher.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 252
ginnywings
August 15, 2021, 9:54am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I expect us to start modestly, even slowly, given the amount of turnover in players and the fact we are light up top. I think we'd do well to get a point at Bromley.

Hurst should be given a little leeway and as I say most seasons, it takes about 10 to 12 games for a side and the league in general to settle down.

I do think though, that given our resources, we should be challenging for a play off spot come the end of the season. If we're not, then for me, the manager isn't doing a very good job with what he has to work with. Hurst has the experience and knowledge: he has the financial backing not afforded to most teams in this league, so all the tools are there.

I'm not sure how many players the Cowleys signed at Lincoln, but they turned that team around from mediocre to league champions in short order. It can be done.

I just get the feeling that the board is happy for steady progress and rebuilding the foundations of the club, whilst a lot of fans are expecting an all out assault. I would love us to rip through this league, but I dont think it will happen. I would put our chances of being back in the league next season as pretty slim; ever hopeful as I am.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 252
devs
August 15, 2021, 10:05am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
We all know that it will be Hurst Out if we get off to a sluggish start
IE: 10 mins 1-0 down v Bromley
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 252
friskneymariner
August 15, 2021, 10:18am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
If you look at the predictions thread on this forum the vast majority think we'll finish in the play-off places. I tend to agree with this.

If the four or five posters on here, who seem hell bent on the idea that it's automatic promotion this season or the club is forever doomed, want to set themselves up for a season of disappointment and moaning then leave them to it.

Personally I'm just looking forward to a season where we will win more than we lose - which will be quite a novelty compared to the last five seasons in the football league.

Are these the same people who were saying we were too good to be relegated last season?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 252
SouthLakesMariner
August 15, 2021, 10:32am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +945
Gold Stars: 21
We may not have the biggest budget, the strongest squad or the best no 9 in the division, but, we will be competitive. Let’s enjoy the ride and see where it takes us. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 252
August 15, 2021, 10:33am
Guest User
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Mid table at best . Sorry that’s not a rose tinted prediction but the reality that a lot of seasoned fans are predicting .

So who are those 'lot of seasoned fans', have you counted them, or interviewed them to be able to make that statement?

Reply: 179 - 252
26 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chesterfield.....Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.