This thread currently has 3,467 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
March 9, 2021, 11:32am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,076
Gold Stars: 198

I'd also like to point out that I never go out on my bike without a helmet.

Look what happened to that young lad from Chapel St Leonards, such a shame and so avoidable.

Should be made law if you ask me.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 9, 2021, 11:57am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
In some ways I wish there had been electric bikes when I started work with a 5 mile each way commute across Grimsby in the 60s. But the choices were push bike or queueing for a place on the disease incubators. It was galling to see people sitting smug in cars dry and warm while I struggled soaking and sweating to or from work. As soon as I could pass my test as save up I was off to buy a 1959 Ford Pop in green to join the smug gang.

Just before I got the car I was sorely tempted by the previous incarnation of an electric bike, the moped. A mate was selling a nearly new one for the same money as the Ford Pop. A few weeks after I got the car I was coming home on a December teatime down Weelsby Road when there was an almighty bang. A moped rider had turned left out of Park Drive and front wheel skidded into the path of a car on the main road, a right mess.

That is what bothers me about powered cycles and scooters. I am sure the people on here know what they are doing and how to ride them but some get into the hands of people who don’t and the consequences can be disastrous. I have nothing against electric cycles but I do feel there should be some specific testing and licensing for these machines.

E-bikes are a bit different now. Nothing like a moped. They are bikes with a small motor that assists the rider. They are limited to 25 kph (15.5 mph) and you have to pedal as the motor only assists and you can turn the assistance off if you want. Great for getting a fat bloke up a hill, they really took off in mountain biking but there are more and more road/gravel bike models, there aren't many bike manufacturers that don't offer some form of e-bike. I'd love one.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 9, 2021, 7:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

E-bikes are a bit different now. Nothing like a moped. They are bikes with a small motor that assists the rider. They are limited to 25 kph (15.5 mph) and you have to pedal as the motor only assists and you can turn the assistance off if you want. Great for getting a fat bloke up a hill, they really took off in mountain biking but there are more and more road/gravel bike models, there aren't many bike manufacturers that don't offer some form of e-bike. I'd love one.

Thanks for that, my electric bike knowledge is sketchy. My last bike was a 60s Dawes Tourer!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
Connecticut Mariner
March 9, 2021, 7:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.21
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +730
Gold Stars: 7
Temperature was 55F here today so got in our first ride of the year - rode down to Long Island Sound and back which is a nice flat ride (unusual around here!) to start with. We have road bikes - I have an Il Massimo (steel frame) and my wife has a Specialized Ruby. Felt good to ride in the fresh air with the sun shining - its been a long and snowy winter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 9, 2021, 10:16pm
Snakebite drinker
Temperature was 55F here today so got in our first ride of the year - rode down to Long Island Sound and back which is a nice flat ride (unusual around here!) to start with. We have road bikes - I have an Il Massimo (steel frame) and my wife has a Specialized Ruby. Felt good to ride in the fresh air with the sun shining - its been a long and snowy winter.

I should have got out today but I've got the post winter motivation syndrome. I too have a road bike, a Cube Attain Pro (2020), and just about everything near me is flat, usually have to ride alone because of COVID. I do have a hybrid too which will get a bit more use in the summer when lockdown has been lifted, as my wife has one too and we can ride along the seafront for a few miles. I won't take the road bike anywhere near the sand.

No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
ginnywings
March 9, 2021, 11:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
In some ways I wish there had been electric bikes when I started work with a 5 mile each way commute across Grimsby in the 60s. But the choices were push bike or queueing for a place on the disease incubators. It was galling to see people sitting smug in cars dry and warm while I struggled soaking and sweating to or from work. As soon as I could pass my test as save up I was off to buy a 1959 Ford Pop in green to join the smug gang.

Just before I got the car I was sorely tempted by the previous incarnation of an electric bike, the moped. A mate was selling a nearly new one for the same money as the Ford Pop. A few weeks after I got the car I was coming home on a December teatime down Weelsby Road when there was an almighty bang. A moped rider had turned left out of Park Drive and front wheel skidded into the path of a car on the main road, a right mess.

That is what bothers me about powered cycles and scooters. I am sure the people on here know what they are doing and how to ride them but some get into the hands of people who don’t and the consequences can be disastrous. I have nothing against electric cycles but I do feel there should be some specific testing and licensing for these machines.

On my daily walks, I've noticed a growing use of electric scooters along the seafront and cycle paths. A lot of them are being ridden by young blokes who don't give a toss and they go flying along way too fast with many people around. I saw a massive one today that had huge fat tyres and a seat, it was more akin to a moped and he was tanking along the cycle path toward the fitties. Someone is going to get twatted by one sooner or later.

There are also a growing number of young kids on electric carts, which are hoverboards (segway?) with attached wheeled frames. They are everywhere and can go at a fair lick. It's getting really busy with powered vehicles of various types and I have started giving it a swerve on busy days. You need eyes in the back of your head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 10, 2021, 10:45am
Snakebite drinker
There are precious few walking/cycling routes around anyway without them getting clogged up by these oft times illegal motorised vehicles.

The provision of cycling routes in East Lindsey and North East Lincolnshire is appalling for an area that should be great for cycling. I would love to be able to go for a ride with the family without having to run the perils of the local roads and the local drivers. The roads you have to use are usually in a terrible state for riding on. Walkers don't have it much better.

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
promotion plaice
March 10, 2021, 1:08pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,076
Gold Stars: 198
Quoted from ginnywings
On my daily walks, I've noticed a growing use of electric scooters along the seafront and cycle paths. A lot of them are being ridden by young blokes who don't give a toss and they go flying along way too fast with many people around. I saw a massive one today that had huge fat tyres and a seat, it was more akin to a moped and he was tanking along the cycle path toward the fitties. Someone is going to get twatted by one sooner or later.

I'm pretty sure there's a place on the Fitties that hire them out Ginny, or a least they did.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 10, 2021, 2:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
There are precious few walking/cycling routes around anyway without them getting clogged up by these oft times illegal motorised vehicles.

The provision of cycling routes in East Lindsey and North East Lincolnshire is appalling for an area that should be great for cycling. I would love to be able to go for a ride with the family without having to run the perils of the local roads and the local drivers. The roads you have to use are usually in a terrible state for riding on. Walkers don't have it much better.

One reason is that they would be starting from scratch. There are a number of councils in a better position simply because they have more stretches of disused railway line. Also NEL has little land to the south of the town boundary. That is down to Lincolnshire. Is there still a track down past the Boating Lake to Tetney Lock? We used to use that to get To black currant picking at Marshchapel in the 60s. As a youth I used to ride along the sea wall from Cleethorpes right up to Killingholme and Immingham can you still do that? God, was I that energetic?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
ginnywings
March 10, 2021, 4:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548

One reason is that they would be starting from scratch. There are a number of councils in a better position simply because they have more stretches of disused railway line. Also NEL has little land to the south of the town boundary. That is down to Lincolnshire. Is there still a track down past the Boating Lake to Tetney Lock? We used to use that to get To black currant picking at Marshchapel in the 60s. As a youth I used to ride along the sea wall from Cleethorpes right up to Killingholme and Immingham can you still do that? God, was I that energetic?

Yes you can still get to Tetney Lock via the seafront cycle path, then a bridleway around the fitties, onto Newton Marsh Lane, or you can ride along Anthony's Bank from the yacht club, and go through a field to Newton Marsh Lane.

The seafront track to Immingham and Killingholme is still open to bikes and walkers. We walked it last summer from Pyewipe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Cycling

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.