Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Jesus Christ
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 35 Guests

Jesus Christ

This thread currently has 17,456 views. Print
37 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Rick12
February 21, 2021, 5:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

I believe that there could have been a preacher in those times and he may have been called Jesus, however as I like to point out to Christians this man would have been a jew, as were all his disciples. At no point in the bible does he renounce his Jewish faith and neither do any of the disciples and the crown of thorns was to represent him as King of the Jews. The christian religion was not founded for a number of years after the supposed death of Jesus. So the christian faith is based on fictional accounts written hundreds of years, in some cases, later. So why base a new religion on the teachings of someone who was obviously quite happy himself to be of another religion, why not just become another branch of Judaism.

I think the answer to this is Jesus preached a radical form of Judaism which wasn't in keeping with main Jewish orthodox views of the time. Its what ultimately got him killed as he was attracting such a following that the Romans were scared of his new message.

Quoted from Humbercod
I would class myself as an Atheist but I’m always intrigued and open to listening to alternative views, but the problem for me with the Jesus story is that the story has been told many times before his arrival.
Richard Dawkins covered this subject well in is excellent book the God delusion.
I think there were story's going on before Jesus's time of which parts  were amalgamated  into the bible eg Noah's Arc and the flood .I think this what parts of the Quran represents as well. Fragments of Christian thinking which became part of the Islamic holy book.

Thing is the founder of Judaism Abraham was the first ancient man to propose a belief in one God at a time when ancient peoples  believed in many Gods. This is what ultimately influenced later prophets eg Moses, John the Baptist and then Jesus.

Ive read the God delusion as well and wasn't entirely convinced with Dawkins arguments. Even he admits he hasn't got the answer to the universes' complexity and leaves some room aside for "something" which could of started everything off.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 364
DB
February 21, 2021, 5:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Humbercod
I would class myself as an Atheist but I’m always intrigued and open to listening to alternative views, but the problem for me with the Jesus story is that the story has been told many times before his arrival.
Richard Dawkins covered this subject well in is excellent book the God delusion.

Dawkins is also famous for his evolution theory, and let us remember it is his words as a theory. Evolution is a fact of life going forward but he failed to state how the worlds were created. Lets go to the Big Bang theory of two worlds colliding, so far so good. So who created the first world and where did the second one come from.

Until their is some type of answer to these questions I am happy with the fact in Genesis 'God Created'. Incidentally you could also say two atoms collided to make the Big Bang and my question would still be the same, who created the first atom.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 364
Rick12
February 21, 2021, 5:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

Dawkins is also famous for his evolution theory, and let us remember it is his words as a theory. Evolution is a fact of life going forward but he failed to state how the worlds were created. Lets go to the Big Bang theory of two worlds colliding, so far so good. So who created the first world and where did the second one come from.

Until their is some type of answer to these questions I am happy with the fact in Genesis 'God Created'. Incidentally you could also say two atoms collided to make the Big Bang and my question would still be the same, who created the first atom.

Likewise DB soon as science discovers something it opens up a pandoras box to something else. Its a never ending cycle for the holy grail.  For me the divine will never be summed up by science .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 364
grimsby pete
February 21, 2021, 5:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,802
Gold Stars: 222
There is a series on the history channel called ancient aliens which looks at the possibility that aliens not God seeded this planet.

Also looks at how men in those days could move a stone weighing over 100 ton lift it and lay it perfectly in a wall.

Something we can not do today without very heavy lifting vehicles and other equipment .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 364
Rick12
February 21, 2021, 6:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
There is a series on the history channel called ancient aliens which looks at the possibility that aliens not God seeded this planted.

Also looks at how men in those days could move a stone weighing over 100 ton lift it and lay it perfectly in a wall.

Something we can not do today without very heavy lifting vehicles and other equipment .
For me Pete I dont buy into the idea of aliens. Its all about the energy . I think the divine is somehow linked into this. Think of light over dark, good over bad ,love over hate. Jesus essentially preached the same thing and why he was often referred to as the light of the world.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 364
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
February 21, 2021, 8:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
There is no evidence that Jesus existed. The romans, if they were worried about the message he was preaching, certainly didn't think he was important enough to mention.

We only have the stories written years after his death by people who were followers of this new religion, and considering some of those stories said he could cure leprosy etc. with just a touch or that he fed 5000 people with 5 fish and 12 loaves of bread or some such nonsense, oh and the coming back from the dead thing. He is also considered a prophet in Islam, a religion which didn't rise until 700 years or so after his supposed death.

My point is that, in most circumstances, you would at least question something that had no basis in fact and that was only written about years after the alleged events and yet here we are a whole religion unquestioned.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 364
LH
February 21, 2021, 8:16pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,560
Gold Stars: 174
Why would any god create the earth and all it’s living things and then send deadly viral illnesses, famines and natural disasters while allowing wars, genocides, sexual violence/crimes etc to happen?
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 364
ginnywings
February 21, 2021, 8:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from DB

Or go back further and ask where did God come from?

Religion is complete and utter bunkum and it staggers me that so many people believe. Never has something caused so many wars, deaths and subjugation of people in the entire history of mankind.

I'm with Penn Jillette in saying that I'm not even an atheist, as that suggests there is something to be opposed to and there isn't. He says:-

"Religion cannot and should not be replaced by atheism. Religion needs to go away and not be replaced by anything. Atheism is not a religion. It's the absence of religion, and that is a wonderful thing."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 364
KingstonMariner
February 21, 2021, 8:30pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from DB

DB don’t confuse the scientific term ‘theory’ (ie a hypothesis with lots of evidence to support it as a good working explanation for the way things are or the way things work, but leaving just enough room for a better explanation that is supported by better evidence) with an opinion or a belief that has no proof. There is no equivalence between the theory of evolution and creationism. The latter is just a story. A myth if you like, that might hold a hidden meaning, but for which there is no proof.

The Big Bang theory isn’t about two worlds colliding either. It’s about all matter, space and time starting very very rapidly  from a singularity (at which point I get lost). If you’re going to dismiss a theory, understand what it is first. The Big Bang Theory does, as I understand it, allow for a ‘god’ to have started it off. Although some cosmologists think that our Big Bang might not have been the first.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 364
KingstonMariner
February 21, 2021, 8:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from grimsby pete

Fair point but why have not the middle eastern countries taken those names as well. ?

Pete, I thought you were joking at first! A lot of those ‘English’ names are Anglicised versions of Latin and Greek versions of Middle Eastern names.

Exception is Peter, which is I think Greek or Latin for stone/rock and was a nickname given by Jesus to his disciple Simon (modern Hebrew = Shimon). There was no Hebrew Peter.

They were adopted in Christian countries as people wanted to give their offspring holy names. When they ran out of New Testament names, they started using Old Testament names too like Daniel, Samuel, Deuteronomy and Leviticus (only kidding about the last two).

Joshua is our version (in the Anglo countries) of Jesus or Jesu in the Latin countries. Jesus being the Latinised version of an old Hebrew name - for some reason (probably to do with who translated what and when) we call the Old Testament profit Joshua but the New Testament guy Jesus.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 364
37 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Jesus Christ

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.