6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
blundellpork
February 22, 2021, 7:31am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
Kneeling down has achieved nothing. Until the racists receive tough punishments nothing will change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 52
Gainsbro_Mariner
February 22, 2021, 9:15am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 14
It hasn't served a purpose at all, taking a knee in supposed defiance has come as customary as a handshake before the game. Any meaning behind it has only been lost and if something is continuously dragged on pointlessly when it's clear nothing is changing then it makes it even more pointless.

I am fully supportive of any means to remove racism from the sport, but the Premier League started this when they hurried around the BLM movement, just as people claiming to support them began trashing monuments, causing havoc and vandalising statues. With BLM UK then aligning themselves to a anti-capitalist, hard left stance the Premier League had egg on their face, being a huge capitalist brand. It has continued to snowball ever since.

I think a lot of the booing and negativity around taking the knee stems from animosity in associating it with those who hijacked the agenda for political gain. Lets face it, most Football fans aren't hard left, and so gesturing before each game in a manor that has now been associated with a hard left group is never going to popular. Where as it's clear there is a racist element in Football, I don't think its a majority or anything more than just a few knuckle draggers at each club. It is a true shame for those who are trying to put out a positive message of equality as unfortunately the rent-a-cause factions in world politics will always seek to smother an agenda and use it as a vehicle to front their own ideas.

If any organisation would need rallying behind it would be for English footballs own "Kick it Out " campaign. Any objections to that would soon identify any mindless racists among us as a football community.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 52
Humbercod
February 22, 2021, 11:21am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,488
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
It hasn't served a purpose at all, taking a knee in supposed defiance has come as customary as a handshake before the game. Any meaning behind it has only been lost and if something is continuously dragged on pointlessly when it's clear nothing is changing then it makes it even more pointless.

I am fully supportive of any means to remove racism from the sport, but the Premier League started this when they hurried around the BLM movement, just as people claiming to support them began trashing monuments, causing havoc and vandalising statues. With BLM UK then aligning themselves to a anti-capitalist, hard left stance the Premier League had egg on their face, being a huge capitalist brand. It has continued to snowball ever since.

I think a lot of the booing and negativity around taking the knee stems from animosity in associating it with those who hijacked the agenda for political gain. Lets face it, most Football fans aren't hard left, and so gesturing before each game in a manor that has now been associated with a hard left group is never going to popular. Where as it's clear there is a racist element in Football, I don't think its a majority or anything more than just a few knuckle draggers at each club. It is a true shame for those who are trying to put out a positive message of equality as unfortunately the rent-a-cause factions in world politics will always seek to smother an agenda and use it as a vehicle to front their own ideas.

If any organisation would need rallying behind it would be for English footballs own "Kick it Out " campaign. Any objections to that would soon identify any mindless racists among us as a football community.

Well said!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Taking the knee

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.