February 3, 2021, 8:03am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
An inspiration.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
DB
February 3, 2021, 11:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.44
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,048
Gold Stars: 390
It's thanks to Sir Tom we have a country to live in, protecting the nation from the Nazi's. Thankfully Sir Tom survived WW2 while others in their late teens/early twenties died for us.

Sir Tom then showed the nation how in your late ninety's to raise £millions for the NHS. An inspiration for our younger generation of today.

On a very sad note I have not the words to describe my contempt for the person who gave KindstonMariner a X. Have some guts to print your name and say why Sir Tom is not an INSPIARTION.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 45
Humbercod
February 3, 2021, 11:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,488
Gold Stars: 82
We all have our differences on this forum which makes it so interesting but I think we can all come together on this what a great bloke sir Tom was....big respect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 45
grimsby pete
February 3, 2021, 12:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,832
Gold Stars: 222
RIP Tom the most loved man in the country by far.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 45
LH
February 3, 2021, 1:45pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,582
Gold Stars: 175
A great achievement last year raising all the money he did and of course his war service.

Also managed to get a distraction knighthood and all of this mourning (a minute’s silence at PMQs - before they tagged the other 108k+ deaths on it). Half expecting BoZo to open the Covid briefing tonight that he’s getting a Trafalgar Square statue and four days national mourning. I wonder what news is going to break while it’s all going on 🤔
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 45
KingstonMariner
February 3, 2021, 7:22pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Humbercod
We all have our differences on this forum which makes it so interesting but I think we can all come together on this what a great bloke sir Tom was....big respect.

Don’t know why the bozos red-crossed your post Humbo. Maybe they know something about Capt Tom that we don’t but they don’t want to share it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 45
Stadium
February 3, 2021, 8:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Don’t know why the bozos red-crossed your post Humbo. Maybe they know something about Capt Tom that we don’t but they don’t want to share it.

Probably around thoughts similar to this post from elsewhere:

"At a 100, he had better innings than most of us will ever experience. His charity fundraiser last year was remarkable and he should be praised for this.

However, the blind ignorance shown by both him and his family to holiday during the worst pandemic in modern times is both baffling and frustrating. As someone who campaigned to support the NHS, surely people can see the hypocrisy in such a decision and the resulting burden it has caused upon his return.

It is all well and good to try and paint this in the light of ‘at his age you’d think intercourse it.’ Truth be told however, many would likely take the morale high ground and turn down this holiday, heck, even just to show support for the rest of the nation.

Reading the comments I was made aware of 101 year old lady doing 101 laps of her local park. It’s sad this wasn’t promoted further but it shows there was true meaning behind her fundraiser. Captain Tom, I feel was more an idea brought about by his family than himself, there is a stark difference between a woman walking her local park and a man doing laps of his impressive, huge garden."

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 45
aldi_01
February 4, 2021, 6:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Not sure anyone denies that it was a touching thing to do and should be applauded but this has caused a fantastic distraction for the government and has once again swerved people away from the fact the NHS is chronically underfunded.

I wasn’t aware of the holiday but I noticed initially some media outlets tried to run a sort of shock story that he hadn’t had a vaccine...then it became clear why.

I’m unsure why this chaos efforts were celebrated more than say the lady walking round her park but I guess nobody is really arsed.

It’s always sad when someone dies, no matter what the situation.

Judging by the handful of a busy Tesco’s clapping people either didn’t know, didn’t care or have just become numb to everything...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 45
lew chaterleys lover
February 4, 2021, 10:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,747
Gold Stars: 237
There are some sad people on here if you have to find a way of diminishing the efforts of a 100-year-old war veteran and inspiration to many in these sad times.

I suppose he was too "conservative" for some people to stomach. A lovely man, a loving family and so middle class -  too much to bear for our SJW's.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 45
LH
February 4, 2021, 10:48am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,582
Gold Stars: 175
There are some sad people on here if you have to find a way of diminishing the efforts of a 100-year-old war veteran and inspiration to many in these sad times.

I suppose he was too "conservative" for some people to stomach. A lovely man, a loving family and so middle class -  too much to bear for our SJW's.

It is possible to applaud his efforts and realise that he’s been used as a distraction a few times. For anyone capable of thinking for themselves.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 45
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › RIP Captain Sir Tom Moore

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.