5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
February 4, 2021, 11:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.44
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,048
Gold Stars: 390
Gentlemen I think the point of starting this thread was out of respect for Sir Tom. I do realise that all have different political views and when both sides of Parliament have a minutes silence in his memory it shows that both blue and red can come together. Indeed all had praise for Sir Tom.

Some forumites questioned why Sir Tom which they had right to do. To answer that as simply as, I could be he was one of the last of the few. If it wasn't for him and his deceased colleagues be their death as elderly or late teens/early20's in WW2 you may have not been able to have the freedom you have today.

Sir Tom not only raised £million's for the NHS but inspired others of all ages to do the same. It is not only his courage but inspiration that was being honoured. Let us not forget the Queen was also touched by him as well.

The first people to do something are always remembered while others who after them may do better things, it is the originator who gets the praise. Sir Frank Whittle and the Jet engine, Alan Turing and staff worlds first computer come to mind.

So please put your differences aside for this post. Have some dignity and respect.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 45
Humbercod
February 4, 2021, 11:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,488
Gold Stars: 82
The facts are that the initial post was in tribute to Tom a WW2 Veteran who had done raised millions for the NHS and had just died, and I contributed with my own tribute. So was it really necessary to add alternative but negative views on him so soon after his death?

I’m all for free speech but sometimes there’s a time and a place it’s called respect! I take your point on how he was selected as well as the other people that maybe had done more and were over looked, if I’m honest I’m even against all this clapping nonsense for him, but some of the negativity is based on class almost reverse snobbery and for me it’s feels spiteful. Like I say the original post was in tribute if you couldn’t say anything nice they could of just put RIP and moved on, saved all this for another time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 45
codcheeky
February 4, 2021, 11:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,252
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from DB
Gentlemen I think the point of starting this thread was out of respect for Sir Tom. I do realise that all have different political views and when both sides of Parliament have a minutes silence in his memory it shows that both blue and red can come together. Indeed all had praise for Sir Tom.

Some forumites questioned why Sir Tom which they had right to do. To answer that as simply as, I could be he was one of the last of the few. If it wasn't for him and his deceased colleagues be their death as elderly or late teens/early20's in WW2 you may have not been able to have the freedom you have today.

Sir Tom not only raised £million's for the NHS but inspired others of all ages to do the same. It is not only his courage but inspiration that was being honoured. Let us not forget the Queen was also touched by him as well.

The first people to do something are always remembered while others who after them may do better things, it is the originator who gets the praise. Sir Frank Whittle and the Jet engine, Alan Turing and staff worlds first computer come to mind.

So please put your differences aside for this post. Have some dignity and respect.

Both sides of parliament are cut from very similar cloth, woe betide anyone who speaks anything but the perceived patriotic line on this , they would be slaughtered by the press. No one is trying to belittle Toms effort’s but do we really want to be a country where the health service relies on donations ?
The publicity was whipped up for him for a reason, it does not make his effort less worthy, you seem to want to take offence were there is non intended, people pointing out the obviousness of the distraction seems to upset you. Just take a step back and understand not everyone swallows the same news line agenda without question and ask yourself why some can say well done that man without going over the top
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 45
Stadium
February 4, 2021, 11:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Humbercod

I think it’s past your bed time what you even on about ‘left wing media’!
You started this thread paying tribute and rightly so to a great man fair play.
But certain people couldn’t help bringing him down, I know it wasn’t Stadium’s own words but even so did he really need to re-quote basically calling Tom an hypocrite? This is spewing bile  totally and utterly disrespectful!

And now resident Corbynista Ska feels the need to mock him and his supporters are you going to have a go at him?

Once again a most bizarre reaction??
You seem to be attempting to censor what a person can post in this thread when it's perfectly within the rules.
The facts within were correct and it was a genuine post of another view on the subject.

Why on earth you would interept that as "spewing bile totally and utterly disrespectful!" Is most odd.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 45
Humbercod
February 4, 2021, 11:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
See above ⬆️  and show some dam respect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 45
codcheeky
February 4, 2021, 11:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,252
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Humbercod
The facts are that the initial post was in tribute to Tom a WW2 Veteran who had done raised millions for the NHS and had just died, and I contributed with my own tribute. So was it really necessary to add alternative but negative views on him so soon after his death?

I’m all for free speech but sometimes there’s a time and a place it’s called respect! I take your point on how he was selected as well as the other people that maybe had done more and were over looked, if I’m honest I’m even against all this clapping nonsense for him, but some of the negativity is based on class almost reverse snobbery and for me it’s feels spiteful. Like I say the original post was in tribute if you couldn’t say anything nice they could of just put RIP and moved on, saved all this for another time.

I’m all for free speech except for when I’m not? Cannot see anyone anywhere in this thread saying anything bad about Tom, but you want something to be angry and righteous about.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 45
Stadium
February 4, 2021, 11:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod
See above ⬆️  and show some dam respect.

Well maybe you should  attempt to show some too?
There has been some interesting points raised around it in this thread which the media has managed to totally overlook.
You are seem to be a champion for free speech but only on certain terms??

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 45
Humbercod
February 4, 2021, 11:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Once again a most bizarre reaction??
You seem to attempting to censor what a person can post in this thread when it's perfectly within the rules.
The facts within were correct and it was a genuine post of another view on the subject.

Why on earth you would interept that as "spewing bile totally and utterly disrespectful!" Is most odd.

Seriously why would you want to shoehorn in a critical post about Tom on a thread where people were just paying their respects to him after he had just died. Don’t you think this was a bit ‘odd’ old boy?

When I think about why you would feel the urge to offer a negative slant all I can think is that, this was also your view and you put in there on the pretence of ‘just an innocent alternative view’ very weasely coward like I must say.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 45
Stadium
February 5, 2021, 12:03am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod

Seriously why would you want to shoehorn in a critical post about Tom on a thread where people were just paying their respects to him after he had just died. Don’t you think this was a bit ‘odd’ old boy?

When I think about why you would feel the urge to offer a negative slant all I can think is that, this was also your view and you put in there on the pretence of ‘just an innocent alternative view’ very weasely coward like I must say.

Like many posters have already stated, nothing was wrong with the quoted comment.
It also informed several about the vacation which wasn't common knowledge to some.
Try reading the post again,it was an possible explanation to the fact of somebody "red crossing" an earlier post.

As for your second point,it's rather silly.
In fact delusional.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 45
DB
February 5, 2021, 12:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.44
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,048
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from codcheeky

Both sides of parliament are cut from very similar cloth, woe betide anyone who speaks anything but the perceived patriotic line on this , they would be slaughtered by the press. No one is trying to belittle Toms effort’s but do we really want to be a country where the health service relies on donations ?
The publicity was whipped up for him for a reason, it does not make his effort less worthy, you seem to want to take offence were there is non intended, people pointing out the obviousness of the distraction seems to upset you. Just take a step back and understand not everyone swallows the same news line agenda without question and ask yourself why some can say well done that man without going over the top

I have not taken any offence from anybody and was merely trying to draw a line under this thread.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › RIP Captain Sir Tom Moore

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.