jamesgtfc
December 9, 2020, 2:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
We got two for the price of three though with Jackson Jnr, Sisay and Gibson. Two aren't good enough to even make the squad but you know, 2 for the price of 3! We would honestly have been better with Cardwell last night.

I saw Boston lose 2-0 at home to Chorley on Saturday. The bloke a few seats down said to me he had seen the Chorley number 9 a couple of weeks ago and he was quality.

That Chorley number 9 is Harry Cardwell. He lead the line up front well, was closing down from the front and showing good movement.

I've seen Sisay play for Cleethorpes and he isn't an upgrade on Cardwell. Given that Rose was getting games and Jackson Jr isn't, that suggests he isn't an upgrade on Rose either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
Mikey_345
December 9, 2020, 2:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,528
Gold Stars: 107
Honestly don't see that hes far from being wrong in all fairness.

He's pointed out we aren't good enough in the final third - true. However we conceded a  deflected free kick and a penalty and the game was hardly a pasting from the top of the league. Also were obviously void of confidence so what else is he going to say.

We deserved far more than we got on Saturday and have lost to the top sides in the league. I get there are obvious problems but not as big as some make out.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
grimsby pete
December 9, 2020, 3:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
I have had a bit of a pop at Ollie on a couple of threads but to be fair it's not all down to him that we are struggling .

Yes he dictates how he wants us to play which the players are unable to forfill.

To blame him on recruitment is only partly true he though he had done well to get rid of two players and bring in three.

The trouble lies with the budget he was given or agreed to. It's not enough to either have the amount of players in the squad or to have a smaller squad with better players.

Good luck to him in January in finding the right players to bring in and sending the right players out who we do not need.

I think he will find it harder than he realises.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
pen penfras
December 9, 2020, 4:22pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from grimsby pete
I have had a bit of a pop at Ollie on a couple of threads but to be fair it's not all down to him that we are struggling .

Yes he dictates how he wants us to play which the players are unable to forfill.

To blame him on recruitment is only partly true he though he had done well to get rid of two players and bring in three.

The trouble lies with the budget he was given or agreed to. It's not enough to either have the amount of players in the squad or to have a smaller squad with better players.

Good luck to him in January in finding the right players to bring in and sending the right players out who we do not need.

I think he will find it harder than he realises.

I'm not convinced the budget is all that low with how many players we have on the books. Looking at codalmighty, we have 31 players on the books (after Ohman and Mohsni have left). The salary cap is £1.5 million, which means the average wage we're paying is lower than £1k a week. Some of the younger players will be on significantly less than this, but there are a good few that are on a lot more. How close we are will depend on what we're paying the loanees, but there is very little room to manoeuvre with a hard salary cap and we can't be that far off it. I can't imagine anybody believes the board told Ollie to sign so many players, so a significant portion of the fault has to be with Ollie.

With vaccines and the unlikely suspension of football again, we need to give whatever money there is available to bring in some quality and reduce the squad size
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
forza ivano
December 9, 2020, 4:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Would you really trust IH with another transfer window after the last one..

Yes, because of what he achieved last January when he had very little time to evaluate and act.
He brought in Clark, Grandin, Benson and Glennon and to a lesser extent Tilley

#this time he's known for a couple of months what we are lacking and who he needs to bring in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
easypeersy
December 9, 2020, 6:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
This team is dog excrement.
Can only hope that Southend and one other continue to be big dog excrement!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
jonnyboy82
December 9, 2020, 6:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Not having this cardwell would  be our saviour bull sh!t, he wasn't good enough..

Everyone was saying he needs to move on to a lower level and now all of a sudden he should have stayed?

Come on chaps just because we are excrement it doesn't excuse wanting players who couldn't do anything when they was here to come back and bang the goals in.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
arryarryarry
December 9, 2020, 7:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Not having this cardwell would  be our saviour bull sh!t, he wasn't good enough..

Everyone was saying he needs to move on to a lower level and now all of a sudden he should have stayed?

Come on chaps just because we are excrement it doesn't excuse wanting players who couldn't do anything when they was here to come back and bang the goals in.

I don't think anyone has actually said we should get Cardwell back, just the point that probably he and certainly Rose are better if not far better than some of the lot we have now which is worrying that players not deemed good enough but were unlikely to be on high wages have been replaced by players that are nowhere near as good..
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
ginnywings
December 9, 2020, 7:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from arryarryarry

I don't think anyone has actually said we should get Cardwell back, just the point that probably he and certainly Rose are better if not far better than some of the lot we have now which is worrying that players not deemed good enough but were unlikely to be on high wages have been replaced by players that are nowhere near as good..

Cardwell and Rose were signed for their potential. It didn't materialise.

The new young lads are here for the same reason. They may or may not make the grade, who knows?

They were not brought in to be in the first team from the off, so I feel it's pointless comparing them to Cardwell and Rose, both of whom had far longer around the place than the new lads before they were discarded.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
arryarryarry
December 9, 2020, 8:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from ginnywings

Cardwell and Rose were signed for their potential. It didn't materialise.

The new young lads are here for the same reason. They may or may not make the grade, who knows?

They were not brought in to be in the first team from the off, so I feel it's pointless comparing them to Cardwell and Rose, both of whom had far longer around the place than the new lads before they were discarded.

Isn't that what the youth team are for?

At least Cardwell and epecially Rose were on the fringes of the first team, some that have been brought in don't appear to be anywhere close.

But still, they may do a job in the National League?
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Post match interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.