This thread currently has 7,588 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
December 9, 2020, 9:51am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
How many players do we realistically need to play his way and even if we did what guarantee is there that it would work? From that interview, it would seem his aim is purely to play a certain way and the business of accruing points is secondary.  Quite often in the past, we've had managers try systems out but they normally fall back to something that works with the players they have in the squad. I just can't see that happening with him.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 44
Hagrid
December 9, 2020, 9:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Its such a shame as i really thought we would do something under IH, but its just not working. We’re a backwards club doing everything on the cheap and if Ollie thinks that makes us well run then he’s more delusional than i thought. Just stuck in a never ending cycle of shite
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 44
diehardmariner
December 9, 2020, 10:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Despite the anger that's escalated since yesterday, I didn't think we were that bad.  I don't mean to the levels that Holloway talks about but our performance was ok.

We were beat by a penalty and a deflected free-kick.  We rattled their crossbar through Windsor and Gibson missed a sitter early on.  On another day it could have gone another way.

We're toothless and we look shaky at the back.  But for quite large periods I thought we knocked it about nicely without any real penetration.  It's an ultimate lack of quality though, until we address that we'll always struggle.  We can't keep clean sheets and we're not good enough in attack.  Absolute recipe for disaster.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 44
toontown
December 9, 2020, 10:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I've had the night to reflect, and to me, it's obvious why IH said we played well.

He has a month before he can sign anyone, in that time we have 6/7 HUGE games with teams in and around us.

If he come out and said we are rubbish, it would only make a bad position even worse.

I honestly believe he expected the season to stop again, and due to the contract's we offered, we struggled to get the players that are actually good enough, and that he actually wanted to sign...
Offer a young non-league 2/3x more the wages they already earn, and a chance to play league football... they was always going to be the type of players that wanted to sign, despite the clause
Having said that, IH has to take sole responsibility for the players we have actually signed, as 90% are clearly not good enough

I also think he was planning for a season with Hanson up front, and that's also not gone to plan

He now has a huge month and half, to steady the ship, and then rapidly sort this mess out, otherwise its game over for the club

The squad is fuc*ing huge, and needs to be cut pretty quickly

Be brutal, get rid of some of the young lads that we've never seen
Sisay
Jackson Jr - Who is becoming one of them players that gets better without playing to many of our fans...
Spokes

The loans have been terrible
Gomis
Bennett
Taylor
Morton

Bin:
Green
Hanson

Holloway can't go anywhere, as getting someone new in won't work.

Holloway is 100% still the right man for the job, but probably faces his biggest challenge for a very long time..

I thought this - desperately trying to maintain confidence for the next 6 games or so that could potentially end his career in league management.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
Ipswin
December 9, 2020, 11:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I was desperately hoping that the next few games might just produce a few wins, get us out of the danger zone and most importantly see a little confidence coming into the squad.

Now I am concerned that, with the apparent total lack of strikers due to fairly long term injury and Holloway not wanting to play Jackson & co, nothing is going to change and it really wouldn't surprise me if we get beat at Southend, they must see us as the one team they are likely to beat this season.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 44
Rodley Mariner
December 9, 2020, 12:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
I think it's easy to get dramatic but we played well in patches against Exeter and Colchester and well at Crawley the game before that. I think even with what we have now we are capable of winning 3 of the next 5 or 6 and pulling away from the bottom two. I am not convinced we need a dozen new players either. If we can move a few out and get a couple fit we probably need immediately:

A centre back a bit more comfortable on the ball
A left back to support Preston who looked good initially but appears shot now
A more athletic presence in centre mid
A central striker with some experience of scoring goals

I'm not suggesting that would mean a play off charge but enough to see us in lower mid table and then with Green and Hanson off the wage bill start yet another rebuild next Summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
Jarmo.Is.God
December 9, 2020, 12:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Would you really trust IH with another transfer window after the last one..

Yes, 100%

Vaccine is approved. This to me, means things will only get better.
I honestly, hand on heart, think we still have the best manager in the league, and he will sort this out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
sam gy
December 9, 2020, 12:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

A centre back a bit more comfortable on the ball
A more athletic presence in centre mid
A central striker with some experience of scoring goals

Like Harry Davis, Jake Hessenthaler and Charles Vernam?

It was a shocking decision to just let all of our out of contract players leave.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 44
pen penfras
December 9, 2020, 12:21pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Yes, 100%

Vaccine is approved. This to me, means things will only get better.
I honestly, hand on heart, think we still have the best manager in the league, and he will sort this out

I'm not convinced that's true. I wasn't in favour of Holloway becoming the manager, because I don't think managers from a higher level know enough about the lower levels of the game to recruit hungry players. It works out much better to bring in a successful manager from levels below who know the best players at that level and will want to sign for a bigger club.

However, last season I was pleasantly impressed with his recruitment and what he did with the team, we looked much better. I do think he made huge mistakes this season in going for quantity to rotate rather than a smaller side with more quality. But I also think he's been hamstrung by Jolley's mistakes too. With Hanson, Green, McKeown, Ohman, Waterfall and Hendrie all on good money for this level, the covid situation will have reduced the available budget so that we had to live with some underperforming players that we can't afford to replace.

I certainly think Holloway knows he's made big mistakes and will not make the same mistakes in January. We could do with 9-10 points out of the next 6 games, then I think we'll be in a better place both mentally and points wise going into January and Holloway deserves the opportunity to do that. The problem then becomes that we wouldn't be able to replace him if the next 6 games are a disaster in time for a new manager to have a window, but I still think we're on track for what we all agreed was the target for this season, however painful it is living that reality right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
lew chaterleys lover
December 9, 2020, 12:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from pen penfras

I'm not convinced that's true. I wasn't in favour of Holloway becoming the manager, because I don't think managers from a higher level know enough about the lower levels of the game to recruit hungry players. It works out much better to bring in a successful manager from levels below who know the best players at that level and will want to sign for a bigger club.

However, last season I was pleasantly impressed with his recruitment and what he did with the team, we looked much better. I do think he made huge mistakes this season in going for quantity to rotate rather than a smaller side with more quality. But I also think he's been hamstrung by Jolley's mistakes too. With Hanson, Green, McKeown, Ohman, Waterfall and Hendrie all on good money for this level, the covid situation will have reduced the available budget so that we had to live with some underperforming players that we can't afford to replace.

I certainly think Holloway knows he's made big mistakes and will not make the same mistakes in January. We could do with 9-10 points out of the next 6 games, then I think we'll be in a better place both mentally and points wise going into January and Holloway deserves the opportunity to do that. The problem then becomes that we wouldn't be able to replace him if the next 6 games are a disaster in time for a new manager to have a window, but I still think we're on track for what we all agreed was the target for this season, however painful it is living that reality right now.

I remember laughing out loud when Fenty once said, we have tried everything - past managers, new managers, established managers, hungry managers and managers from lower down the tiers and none of them work. He seemed completely unaware that the only constant in all those scenarios was himself and the way the club is run.

Holloway is still our best hope, and like you say he has to put right the mistakes made in the summer.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Post match interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.