Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcos Bignot article..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 324 Guests

Marcos Bignot article..

This thread currently has 8,537 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 14, 2017, 10:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from jaygy

I am currently(rather coincidentally) halfway through his autobiography, it's been keeping me busy the last couple of night shifts. Seems a top guy and very knowledgeable but like I said I do believe most fans understood Fentys decision even if it did come as a shock

Remember that Ray comes from a club that is reluctant to change and you can understand why he found it strange. As far as he was concerned, Fenty appointed in October, gave money in January, sacked early April = strange!
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 62
barralad
September 14, 2017, 10:45pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from friskneymariner

Talk about re-writing history I think I am right in saying when news was announced that Bignot had been sacked it took everyone by surprise,anymore revisionist theories?

People being surprised doesn't necessarily mean that they all thought it was a bad idea as a quick resume of the 29 page Bignot Sacked thread  would show you. It's hardly relevant though because what I'm saying is that plenty of contributors on here voiced opinions pretty quickly that Mr Bignot wasn't all he was cracked up to be. The rewriting of history is being  carried out on this thread as Marcus is now being portrayed in certain quarters as someone who should've been beyond reproach. I'm pointing out that throughout his short tenure there was as much negative stuff written about him as positive. And before you ask you may be among the people who saw nothing but good in Bignot from Day 1. I didn't check but it was why I qualified my previous post.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
chaos33
September 14, 2017, 10:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Good post Barra.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
friskneymariner
September 14, 2017, 10:52pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
I neither saw all good nor all bad,but after the dourness of Hurst he was a change,his record was no worse than Slade's should not the same logic apply.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
MuddyWaters
September 14, 2017, 11:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235
The fact that he was prepared to say we were not up to speed regarding infrastructure probably says all we needed to know. If we weren't, then surely he made the board aware at that time. If he didn't, then it's his own fault that it ended the way it did.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
barralad
September 14, 2017, 11:14pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from friskneymariner
I neither saw all good nor all bad,but after the dourness of Hurst he was a change,his record was no worse than Slade's should not the same logic apply.

Personally I didn't think Bignot had been given enough time. I was surprised at the timing. Were we currently debating Slade's sacking I suspect the thread would look pretty similar to this one because the same criteria would apply. I've seen every match in Slade's 2nd spell except Chesterfield and the game at Accrington the other night (perhaps there's a pattern developing there!) and I've yet to see anything as good as Mansfield at home under Bignot or as bad as the Donny game or Crewe away under him.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 62
Mariner Ronnie
September 14, 2017, 11:38pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
I still think the performance against Doncaster at home was the death nell for Bignot's job. He said in the previous interview to that game how it was practically impossible to get into the playoffs but as a matter of fact it was possible, but you have to fight to the end. Though he deemed it necessary to make many changes that game.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
VinnyGTFC
September 15, 2017, 8:43am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +126
Gold Stars: 20
I work in Women's football and for me the difference is there is no money chasing in Women's football. Other than the top clubs who pay some  money and look for success it's a much less tainted area of the sport where as an example where Town need to deal with agents and journeymen with excessive wage demands etc. Women's teams are more likely to bring in the likes of sports science people to improve what they have.
I think there are more forward thinking people in the Women's game but if it became a lot bigger then I imagine they would have similar problems.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2017, 6:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Yes, I know I'm name dropping but.., I was having a beer with Ray Parlour when the Bignot sacking was announced. His immediate response was WTF has he done, that makes no sense at all. He's far more qualified than me in these matters.

I met Ray last year too at very crappy corporate function. He gave a really good speech then stayed for lunch which was after the time we had booked him for and gave everyone who was interested really good time & attention, very friendly, approachable and warm a real genuine normal bloke unlike author of said article.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
forza ivano
September 15, 2017, 7:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Ray knows more about how football clubs are run than you or ever will. Since we became neighbours then friends, he has taken a lot of interest in GTFC, and could not get his head around the circumstances leading to Bignot 's departure

Interesting old codger. I was talking to my old mate becks, over the garden hedge the other day ,and he said how shocked he was. Big Sam was round at the time and said he heard rumours so wasn't completely surprised
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcos Bignot article..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.