Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcos Bignot article..
Users Browsing Forum
CrannyMariner and 354 Guests

Marcos Bignot article..

This thread currently has 8,536 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
friskneymariner
September 14, 2017, 8:51pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Where are those senior players now I ask myself.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 62
jamesgtfc
September 14, 2017, 8:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from friskneymariner
Where are those senior players now I ask myself.

I would hazard a guess that the senior players who went to the board are ones that left. I am sure Slade will have discovered what happened for Bignot to get sacked and any players who did go to the board will have been seen as a potential problem for him further down the line.

This is not a criticism of Slade because if was manager I would remove these people too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 62
barralad
September 14, 2017, 8:58pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
It may be that everyone offering Bignot support on this thread never thought he should have been sacked when he was but there was certainly a considerable volume of opinion on here and across social media suggesting the axe not only should have been wielded but even earlier than it was.
On the plus side there were excellent wins at Carlisle and Blackpool but there was at least as many monumentally poor performances. I remember the reaction to the Crewe defeat on here. It was the most embarrassing 45 minutes first half since the Halifax away game two years ago.  The last half hour versus Stevenage away was in the words of a very much respected poster on here to me at the game akin to Sunday League where you try to chase the game by banging as many people up front as the substitute rules allow you. If Crewe wasn't enough he then committed the cardinal sin of in the words of countless posters on here and elsewhere of putting out an experimental team in arguably the biggest game of the season v Donny at home with an all too predictable result.
Many on here had their bullsh1tometers triggered within weeks as Bignot was identified as one who could "Talk the talk" but was somewhat less inclined to "walk the walk".
In a normal world he"d have got longer but in the rarefied atmosphere of 21st century pro. football I can see why he was finished. To say he was unfairly sacked given the stick he got is at best disingenuous.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 62
friskneymariner
September 14, 2017, 9:01pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I would hazard a guess that the senior players who went to the board are ones that left. I am sure Slade will have discovered what happened for Bignot to get sacked and any players who did go to the board will have been seen as a potential problem for him further down the line.

This is not a criticism of Slade because if was manager I would remove these people too.

My feelings too.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 62
MuddyWaters
September 14, 2017, 9:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Yes, I know I'm name dropping but.., I was having a beer with Ray Parlour when the Bignot sacking was announced. His immediate response was WTF has he done, that makes no sense at all. He's far more qualified than me in these matters.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 62
jaygy
September 14, 2017, 9:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Yes, I know I'm name dropping but.., I was having a beer with Ray Parlour when the Bignot sacking was announced. His immediate response was WTF has he done, that makes no sense at all. He's far more qualified than me in these matters.

Yes because he knows all about the ongoings at an obscure league 2 club. Most GTFC fans will know more about why Bignot was sacked than Ray Parlour. I think the general feeling amongst fans was shock but at the same time we knew it was coming
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 62
Mariner93er
September 14, 2017, 9:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Did We? If it was another club, we'd be saying it was ridiculous and another weird decision in the crazy world of football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 62
friskneymariner
September 14, 2017, 9:28pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jaygy

Yes because he knows all about the ongoings at an obscure league 2 club. Most GTFC fans will know more about why Bignot was sacked than Ray Parlour. I think the general feeling amongst fans was shock but at the same time we knew it was coming

I have got no clue as to why Bignot was sacked

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 62
moosey_club
September 14, 2017, 9:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from mimma
I can't believe that he didn't push for the playoffs just because he was told to avoid relegation and nothing else. I would have thought that avoiding relegation was no.1 priortry  playoffs no.2 priortry.

Doesn't make sense not to want to go up.

JF's only publicly declared target for last season was to stay in the League, that was announced at the start of the season......Hurst likewise towed the party line and followed suit with the same statement...no mention of even play offs would be nice, any wonder we didnt set the League alight.  
Bignot therefore couldnt have had any other target set and by the time we were safe did he then take time to rotate and evaluate the squad by trying all sorts of formations and line ups thinking it didnt matter on results but learning about players was key ?

While i didnt hold much faith in Bignot's chances of success if he had stayed i do truly believe that he was expecting to be given support to invest in the infrastructure and backroom to build and develop "the project/plan" for long term sustainability.  He did mention plenty of times about sport science and the further development of those at the difficult 18-21 phase, players like Wright, Clifton, Venney.  
JF initially also referred to the plan , long term, etc at initial appointment....which then by the time Bignot was sacked and Slade appointed, had turned into getting ready for promotion push this season and not in the long term.
There was in the middle that slightly awkward moment at the fans forum where they sniped at each other on the subject of fitness/sports science....was that the moment the cracks appeared and MB's future at the BP was sealed ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 62
MuddyWaters
September 14, 2017, 9:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from jaygy

Ray knows more about how football clubs are run than you or ever will. Since we became neighbours then friends, he has taken a lot of interest in GTFC, and could not get his head around the circumstances leading to Bignot 's departure
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcos Bignot article..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.