Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcos Bignot article..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 369 Guests

Marcos Bignot article..

This thread currently has 8,534 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
friskneymariner
September 14, 2017, 9:48pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
The moment that Bignot's fate was sealed was when Slade became available.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 62
KingstonMariner
September 14, 2017, 9:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
So are you implying that people saying Bignot shouldn't have been sacked have changed their tune Barra?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 62
realist
September 14, 2017, 9:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Ray knows more about how football clubs are run than you or ever will. Since we became neighbours then friends, he has taken a lot of interest in GTFC, and could not get his head around the circumstances leading to Bignot 's departure

Parlour lives in Nunsthorpe?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 62
Mariner_09
September 14, 2017, 9:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I have said before that it wasn't an unmitigated failure. His proportion of good signings was better than Slade's had been so far. Jones, Osborne, Clements, Asante and even Dyson when he was here were upgrades on previous players. He did give us those excellent performances at Carlisle, Blackpool at home to Mansfield and most notably Plymouth (which was brilliant).

However, his man management was shocking, that shambles involving Macca at Stevenage and the Henderson bus situation was cringeworthy and amateurish. His team selections were usually baffling, often playing Comley and Clements out wide. The Donny selection stands out, he played Boyce and Gunning at centre half against the best striker in the league (Marquis) and it was clear that we'd never be able to cope. He signed 18 midfielders and let two wide players leave us on loan and he didn't replace us, leaving us often playing one dimensionally.

The interviews were even more amateurish and confusing. He contradicted himself even within them and I never remember him saying anything interesting and I knew the humour (such as the BP) would wear thin eventually. My bullshit-o-meter went into overdrive almost immediately and it was abundantly clear that he wasn't quie the full ticket. He had his heart in the right place and had a vision to take the club forward on and off the pitch but he was out of his depth.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 62
AndyDarloFC
September 14, 2017, 10:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Ray knows more about how football clubs are run than you or ever will. Since we became neighbours then friends, he has taken a lot of interest in GTFC, and could not get his head around the circumstances leading to Bignot 's departure

"Football Friends".

Chill your beef mate, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Ask Ray to lend me 100k so I can buy some seats for Darlington. I'll get him a parmo when he's next up north.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 62
MuddyWaters
September 14, 2017, 10:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from realist

Parlour lives in Nunsthorpe?

Hehe- no! I could give you his Portuguese address and phone number though!
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 62
chaos33
September 14, 2017, 10:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Yes, I know I'm name dropping but.., I was having a beer with Ray Parlour when the Bignot sacking was announced. His immediate response was WTF has he done, that makes no sense at all. He's far more qualified than me in these matters.

You were boozing it up with The Romford Pele?  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 62
friskneymariner
September 14, 2017, 10:10pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from barralad
It may be that everyone offering Bignot support on this thread never thought he should have been sacked when he was but there was certainly a considerable volume of opinion on here and across social media suggesting the axe not only should have been wielded but even earlier than it was.
On the plus side there were excellent wins at Carlisle and Blackpool but there was at least as many monumentally poor performances. I remember the reaction to the Crewe defeat on here. It was the most embarrassing 45 minutes first half since the Halifax away game two years ago.  The last half hour versus Stevenage away was in the words of a very much respected poster on here to me at the game akin to Sunday League where you try to chase the game by banging as many people up front as the substitute rules allow you. If Crewe wasn't enough he then committed the cardinal sin of in the words of countless posters on here and elsewhere of putting out an experimental team in arguably the biggest game of the season v Donny at home with an all too predictable result.
Many on here had their bullsh1tometers triggered within weeks as Bignot was identified as one who could "Talk the talk" but was somewhat less inclined to "walk the walk".
In a normal world he"d have got longer but in the rarefied atmosphere of 21st century pro. football I can see why he was finished. To say he was unfairly sacked given the stick he got is at best disingenuous.

Talk about re-writing history I think I am right in saying when news was announced that Bignot had been sacked it took everyone by surprise,anymore revisionist theories?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 62
MuddyWaters
September 14, 2017, 10:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chaos33

You were boozing it up with The Romford Pele?  

Yes, top bloke. Probably the most knowledgeable football person but daft as a brush.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 62
jaygy
September 14, 2017, 10:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yes, top bloke. Probably the most knowledgeable football person but daft as a brush.

I am currently(rather coincidentally) halfway through his autobiography, it's been keeping me busy the last couple of night shifts. Seems a top guy and very knowledgeable but like I said I do believe most fans understood Fentys decision even if it did come as a shock
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcos Bignot article..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.