8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
August 26, 2017, 7:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Current squad not nearly good enough with long term injuries to Asante, Osborne & McAllister - the board need to seriously consider the ramifications of another trip to the National League on the evidence of the last few games. Hooper & Kelly are exactly what Vale fans said they were and our 'Dad's Army' central defenders seem to take it in turns to have a 'mare - today was Collins.
Private Message
Swansea_Mariner
August 26, 2017, 7:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
With one week left of the window it's too late, squeaky bum time until January me thinks.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 74
MuddyWaters
August 26, 2017, 7:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
With one week left of the window it's too late, squeaky bum time until January me thinks.  

I look at the signings we've made and I don't have confidence in any of them. Even Dembele was running down blind alleys today with zero end product.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 74
Mrs Doyle
August 26, 2017, 8:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
The more we go down to ten men the more it looks like players desperation and last resort tactics. Dembele can play a bit but without help eventually gets crowded out. The lack of movement up field is alarming we have speed merchants but nothing for them to hit, At least three really good crosses were whipped in today at pace screaming for some one to anticipate and covert. We seemed to have more urgency but only when we were down to ten men. Hooper is one of those players that looks a bit clumsy ans lethargic. His counterpart Akinfenwa looks more like a prop forward and very slow but as a target man he shields, flicks on and wins a good percentage of crosses and even with the turning circle of a gulf oil tanker still outdid Collins,Clarke and co.

Next up Crewe we need to set up for our first home win and eleven players remaining on the field Slade
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 74
jonnyboy82
August 26, 2017, 8:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Love how we can't wait to hand out two year deals to Sam kelly JJ hooper Paul Dixon but we still can't sign anyone remotely good enough to show that we are serious this year.

I think the overall quality of signing this season have been the worst for a long time..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 74
TownSNAFU5
August 26, 2017, 9:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Pearson anyone?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 74
HertsGTFC
August 26, 2017, 9:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Current squad not nearly good enough with long term injuries to Asante, Osborne & McAllister - the board need to seriously consider the ramifications of another trip to the National League on the evidence of the last few games. Hooper & Kelly are exactly what Vale fans said they were and our 'Dad's Army' central defenders seem to take it in turns to have a 'mare - today was Collins.

Agree with this completely, only problem is that anyone worth taking and who is match fit is probably starting for another club.

Where buggered to the next window I think.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 74
BottesfordMariner
August 26, 2017, 9:25pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Nomally i would say we're only 4 games in and the team needs timel to gel so too early to panic,,BUT I have to agree.

We dont look a good side..we got beaten today by another poor side imo. We give away too may silly goals and dont really seem to have much of a goal threat ourselves. On top of that we cant keep 11 players on the pitch. 5 games played and a red cad in each.

We let a number of players go in the summer with the supposed idea we were going to bring better players in and improver the team. I dont see it. I dont think this team is as good as last years or the team we had in the Conference the previous season. Clarke better than Pearson ?? Rose better than Diz?

Dixon is no better than say Gregor Robertson was..Kelly hasnt done much yet. Hooper scored a good goal today but I am not convinced by him . Cardwell puts himself about but is another who lacks much 1st team experience.

Dembele is an exciting player to watch but with little help around him ends up trying to do too much. Jaiseyimi in his cameo today showed a couple of nice touches. But both are young and inexperienced..this is their first taste of pro football. A bit unfiar that we are pinning our hopes on them

Ok we have a couple of injuries (and seem to be missing Jamie Osborne). All of a sudden Berrett (who to be fair i think is a decent honest pro) is one of our main players. Will Asante's eventual return make a difference ...again we dont know as he is another with little/no league experience.

I feel a bit sorry for Slade as he doesnt seem to have been given much backing and the signings smack of bargain basement. That said I would at least like to see Town play something resembling football. Far too much back to front long ball.

As the OP says so far on this evidence we are going to be nearer the bottom of the league than the top and we cant even contemplate what another relegation to the Conference would mean. It would destroy us (look at York City....that could be our future) The board need to act. We have only used a fraction of the Bogle transfer fee and now have the sell on fee following his move to Cardiff. They need to use a bit of this before its too late.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 74
barrattstandman
August 26, 2017, 9:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +477
Gold Stars: 17
Calum Dyson ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 74
golfer
August 26, 2017, 9:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
I can't see our non-managers lasting any longer than Bignot. If they don't pull their fingers out the mountain will be too big too climb. We must have some money left from last season-we have got to try to buy someone instead of scrapheap merchants. If we don't improve pretty soon it could become the demise to non league. I hope someone with Town at heart can for once see sense and accept they are never going to recoup their outlay.call it a day and accept their losses and leave the gates open for someone else to start with a clean sheet. At the moment the future is very worrying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 74
HertsGTFC
August 26, 2017, 9:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
Nomally i would say we're only 4 games in and the team needs timel to gel so too early to panic,,BUT I have to agree.

We dont look a good side..we got beaten today by another poor side imo. We give away too may silly goals and dont really seem to have much of a goal threat ourselves.

We let a number of players go in the summer with the supposed idea we were going to bring better players in and improver the team. I dont see it. I dont think this team is as good as last years or the team we had in the Conference the previous season. Clarke better than Pearson ?? Rose better than Diz?

Dixon is no better than say Gregor Robertson was..Kelly hasnt done much yet. Hooper scored a good goal today but I am not convinced by him . Cardwell puts himself about but is another who lacks much 1st team experience.

Dembele is an exciting player to watch but with little help around him ends up trying to do too much. Jaiseyimi in his cameo today showed a couple of nice touches. But both are young and inexperienced..this is their first taste of pro football. A bit unfiar that we are pinning our hopes on them

Ok we have a couple of injuries (and seem to be missing Jamie Osborne). All of a sudden Berrett (who to be fair i think is a decent honest pro) is one of our main players. Will Asante's eventual return make a difference ...again we dont know as he is another with little/no league experience.

I feel a bit sorry for Slade as he doesnt seem to have been given much backing and the signings smack of bargain basement. That said I would at least like to see Town play something resembling football. Far too much back to front long ball.

As the OP says so far on this evidence we are going to be nearer the bottom of the league than the top and we cant even contemplate what another relegation to the Conference would mean. It would destroy us (look at York City....that could be our future) The board need to act. We have only used a fraction of the Bogle transfer fee and now have the sell on fee following his move to Cardiff. They need to use a bit of this before its too late.

Good post!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 74
Swansea_Mariner
August 26, 2017, 9:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
I really don't feel Slade has used his budget wisely, there are definitely clubs with smaller budgets than us in this league who seem to set up competitively.

Now if we really were to throw big money at it in January would we really trust him to spend it well?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 74
Bigdog
August 26, 2017, 9:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
If I was being really strict with the budget, I wouldn't have too many players out of this squad that I think are fit for purpose..

Dembele
Osborne
Osbourne
Mills
Asante
Jaiyesimi
Rose M
Rose A
Jones
Clements

That's about it.

What we keep doing is signing relegated players who are not rated by their own fans and also recently turned old slow journeyman players looking for a final pay day. Talk about Div 4 cliche signings.

What we need to sign is young, strong, quick, eager to learn players Then our coaches should do what they're paid to do, coach and develop them. At least they'll have the basic physical requirements half of our squad clearly lack.

Works for clubs like Accrington who haven't got half the income we have..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 74
GrimRob
August 26, 2017, 10:07pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Maybe we need an inspirational manager who can inspire good players to come in the first place? I liked PH and I think his players generally did too, he gave the impression he was going places. Slade has had a few bad experiences recently, he's not exactly got many successes on his cv and coming here, if you are young and hoping to get noticed, and playing for his teams might not be as attractive as somewhere like Lincoln with a dynamic young manager.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 74
HertsGTFC
August 26, 2017, 10:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog
If I was being really strict with the budget, I wouldn't have too many players out of this squad that I think are fit for purpose..

Dembele - Yes
Osborne - Yes
Osbourne - How do you know based on what we have seen? Cameos and a game versus Winterton  
Mills -  Learning weekly
Asante - Definite potential but I think it might be a Hearn situation at best  
Jaiyesimi - Have you really seen enough of him?
Rose M - Agree
Rose A - What? How can you tell? No time in senior football and a few games in the reserves
Jones - Agree
Clements - All being well.

That's about it.

What we keep doing is signing relegated players who are not rated by their own fans and also recently turned old slow journeyman players looking for a final pay day. Talk about Div 4 cliche signings.

What we need to sign is young, strong, quick, eager to learn players Then our coaches should do what they're paid to do, coach and develop them. At least they'll have the basic physical requirements half of our squad clearly lack.

I get the theme but see above re players........

Also regarding "eager to learn" actually if you look at us when we lose it's usually to aides with experienced and "smart" players who know how to win games, not always by fair measures but efficient all the same.  

From the outside looking in the Bignot legacy appears to have taken the club from play offs to p1ssed off and drained the Omar money............Who appointed him? The same person who appointed a string of poor managers, he did appoint a manager with an excellent record of success once but sacked him after 6 games.....you never know he might do it again.

I have defended Fenty on a number of occasions as his money has bailed us out but his small club/small town dictatorship will see us disappear off the radar if we are not careful

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 74
HertsGTFC
August 26, 2017, 10:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
Maybe we need an inspirational manager who can inspire good players to come in the first place? I liked PH and I think his players generally did too, he gave the impression he was going places. Slade has had a few bad experiences recently, he's not exactly got many successes on his cv and coming here, if you are young and hoping to get noticed, and playing for his teams might not be as attractive as somewhere like Lincoln with a dynamic young manager.

A classic case of Manager on the rise versus manager on the decline. Then again for a while we where all taken in by the up and coming Marcus Bignot.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 74
ginnywings
August 26, 2017, 10:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,120
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Bigdog

Dembele
Osborne
Osbourne
Mills
Asante
Jaiyesimi
Rose M
Rose A
Jones
Clements

That's about it.

We were saying this today. Summerfield, Berrett, Hooper, Kelly and Clarke all have recent relegations on their CV.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 74
Swansea_Mariner
August 26, 2017, 10:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Dynamic young manager? We had one of those and he got run out of town labelled a clueless gobshite.  Yes I accept  he was a bit manic and the results inconsistent,  but we don't appear any better off having given Slade  carte blanche to remake the team in his image.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 74
Swansea_Mariner
August 26, 2017, 10:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

We were saying this today. Summerfield, Berrett, Hooper, Kelly and Clarke all have recent relegations on their CV.

And Dixon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 74
Quagmire
August 26, 2017, 10:35pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from ginnywings

And Rose was seconds away from relegation with Newport last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 74
HertsGTFC
August 26, 2017, 11:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Dynamic young manager? We had one of those and he got run out of town labelled a clueless gobshite.  Yes I accept  he was a bit manic and the results inconsistent,  but we don't appear any better off having given Slade  carte blanche to remake the team in his image.

If you think Bignot was the answer your as bonkers as he was. he was wrong and Slade is appearing to be wrong = The non chairman is wrong!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 74
Bigdog
August 26, 2017, 11:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I get the theme but see above re players........

Also regarding "eager to learn" actually if you look at us when we lose it's usually to aides with experienced and "smart" players who know how to win games, not always by fair measures but efficient all the same.  

From the outside looking in the Bignot legacy appears to have taken the club from play offs to p1ssed off and drained the Omar money............Who appointed him? The same person who appointed a string of poor managers, he did appoint a manager with an excellent record of success once but sacked him after 6 games.....you never know he might do it again.

I have defended Fenty on a number of occasions as his money has bailed us out but his small club/small town dictatorship will see us disappear off the radar if we are not careful

We weren't in the play offs when Bignot arrived and certainly not contenders once we sold Omar.

And for the final time, the money spent in the January window came from unexpectedly high gate receipts.

There was a £300k bank overdraft/loan that needed to be paid off within the following few months though..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 74
HertsGTFC
August 26, 2017, 11:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

We weren't in the play offs when Bignot arrived and certainly not contenders once we sold Omar.

And for the final time, the money spent in the January window came from unexpectedly high gate receipts.

There was a £300k bank overdraft/loan that needed to be paid off within the following few months though..

I think we where 6th or 7th when MB took over, could be wrong..I agree with the gate receipts bit and that some of the money spent in Jan was down to that. How did you know the over draft needed settling? Maybe if Bignot was that great he would have spotted what we all knew in that Omar would have gone eventually and maybe instead of buying loads of player he should have just focused the "attendance money" on one objective replacing Omar with a credible striker.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 74
Bigdog
August 26, 2017, 11:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Statement from the club around that time.. maybe even during a fan's forum
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 74
HertsGTFC
August 27, 2017, 12:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog
Statement from the club around that time.. maybe even during a fan's forum

Fair play missed that one.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 74
Cricklewoodmariner
August 27, 2017, 7:04am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +322
Gold Stars: 7
Slade: No need for a transfer fund this season, I'm gonna ship in a load of trialists

Fenty: [img]https://media.giphy.com/media/3orieRWMDkkbD9Gzug/giphy.gif[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 74
Garth
August 27, 2017, 7:28am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Amond?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 74
Davec
August 27, 2017, 7:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Quoted from Garth
Almond?

We don't want another York player, did alright for Southport but Tranmere didn't rate him and now he's in the conference north with York, I doubt he is anywhere good enough for league 2
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 74
zorro_is_a_Mariner
August 27, 2017, 7:39am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Speed kills in thevleague and we are really lacking that up top. Kelly slows us down too much and we are not having enough shots on goal the first half was utter shite

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 74
Bigdog
August 27, 2017, 9:08am
Whiskey Drinker
He's signed a JJ and a DJ.

The only way Slade is going to entertain us is to get a BJ on the pitch next home game..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 74
rancido
August 27, 2017, 9:56am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from BottesfordMariner

We dont look a good side..we got beaten today by another poor side imo. We give away too may silly goals and dont really seem to have much of a goal threat ourselves. On top of that we cant keep 11 players on the pitch. 5 games played and a red cad in each.

Slade, like all managers , has a budget to work with and I'm sure ours is a lot higher than over half the teams in this division. These are the same teams that are currently above us in the league. I don't feel sorry for Slade because he has wasted money on signing poor players on two year deals.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 74
KingstonMariner
August 27, 2017, 10:01am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The only way we should be opening the piggy bank is if we can afford it.

We don't want any more loans. Benign or otherwise.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 74
oldun
August 27, 2017, 10:05am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
It is not a question of more players we have 28 or signed. Problem is quality
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 74
rancido

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

A classic case of Manager on the rise versus manager on the decline. Then again for a while we where all taken in by the up and coming Marcus Bignot.

I don't think MB had 4 consecutive defeats when he managed us coupled with 5 consecutive sending offs. Also, if he was still here, do you think he would have had a worse start to the season?

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 74
MuddyWaters
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
The only way we should be opening the piggy bank is if we can afford it.

We don't want any more loans. Benign or otherwise.

Three players of quality would be a damn sight cheaper than going back in to the abyss. Another relegation and you can kiss goodbye to half the season ticket sales and the justification for a new stadium. It's time to roll the dice because what we've got is not good enough.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 74
rancido
August 27, 2017, 10:09am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from oldun
It is not a question of more players we have 28 or signed. Problem is quality

10 of those players were signed by Slade and not much evidence of quality among them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 74
KingstonMariner
August 27, 2017, 10:15am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Three players of quality would be a damn sight cheaper than going back in to the abyss. Another relegation and you can kiss goodbye to half the season ticket sales and the justification for a new stadium. It's time to roll the dice because what we've got is not good enough.

I see what you're saying but who do you trust to spend it wisely?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 74
rancido
August 27, 2017, 10:18am

Special Brew Drinker

Not The Nearly Man, obviously !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 74
Civvy at last
August 27, 2017, 10:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from Bigdog
He's signed a JJ and a DJ.

The only way Slade is going to entertain us is to get a BJ on the pitch next home game..

Judging by the team selection I think he's already getting a few  

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 74
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2017, 10:31am
Barley Wine Drinker

A better question than I've got an answer for. One thing's for sure, yesterday's gate will  have been well under par too.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 74
Civvy at last
August 27, 2017, 10:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

A better question than I've got an answer for. One thing's for sure, yesterday's gate will  have been well under par too.

You wait till next weeks. !!!

How long before the £10 adults/ kids for a quid kicks in ??

I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 74
Superdan147
August 27, 2017, 10:43am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
1/ Osborne HAS to play, and thank goodness that next Saturday he surely will. He looks a real physical presence with a bit of pace and hopefully can be an improvement

2/ DJ surely HAS to play in place of Kelly now, Kelly has done sodall and DJ has at least looked half decent in his cameo roles.

3/we need to stop with the pissing hoofball. We don't have the players to play it BUT we do look better when we get it down ffs.

4/ when the hell js Clifton going to get a chance ffs.also give max Wright 5/6 more games on loan and if he's doing well get him back and give him a bloody chance instead of Dixon!

5/we NEED our injured players back fast! In particular Clements and Asante who would surely improve us

6/ we are crying out for an attacking midfielder who is good on the ball, has a creative spark and end product and could chip in with a few goals. This will split opinion and doubt it would happen anyway BUT a player I always liked and thought would be ideal in the 10 role is Dominic vose. He would be ideal with dembele and DJ out wide. Would at least be a good players to have until Jamey Osborne is back and sam jones firing again

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 74
Mariner93er
August 27, 2017, 10:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Yes because that's the answer, playing a right footed youth winger in left back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 74
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2017, 10:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Superdan147
1/ Osborne HAS to play, and thank goodness that next Saturday he surely will. He looks a real physical presence with a bit of pace and hopefully can be an improvement

2/ DJ surely HAS to play in place of Kelly now, Kelly has done sodall and DJ has at least looked half decent in his cameo roles.

3/we need to stop with the pissing hoofball. We don't have the players to play it BUT we do look better when we get it down ffs.

4/ when the hell js Clifton going to get a chance ffs.also give max Wright 5/6 more games on loan and if he's doing well get him back and give him a bloody chance instead of Dixon!

5/we NEED our injured players back fast! In particular Clements and Asante who would surely improve us

6/ we are crying out for an attacking midfielder who is good on the ball, has a creative spark and end product and could chip in with a few goals. This will split opinion and doubt it would happen anyway BUT a player I always liked and thought would be ideal in the 10 role is Dominic vose. He would be ideal with dembele and DJ out wide. Would at least be a good players to have until Jamey Osborne is back and sam jones firing again

We've got Jamey Osborne & Sam Jones (& Luke Summerfield.......)
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 74
cmackenzie4
August 27, 2017, 11:04am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from rancido

Not The Nearly Man, obviously !

I've come to the conclusion Rancido that you're not really a fan of Slade are you?  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 74
Madeleymariner
August 27, 2017, 11:24am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I've come to the conclusion Rancido that you're not really a fan of Slade are you?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 74
Civvy at last
August 27, 2017, 11:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4

You're waisted on the railways Chris, you should have been a detective  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 74
golfer
August 27, 2017, 11:36am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Davec

We don't want another York player, did alright for Southport but Tranmere didn't rate him and now he's in the conference north with York, I doubt he is anywhere good enough for league 2

What?????
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 74
golfer
August 27, 2017, 11:45am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Plus 4000 at BP on Saturday or the previous Saturday or the previous Saturday [to be continued]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 74
Davec
August 27, 2017, 1:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Quoted from golfer

What?????

Hemail said Almond, Louis Almond plays for York.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 74
HertsGTFC
August 27, 2017, 1:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Superdan147

I am not sure Harry Clifton would be the difference but agree he deserves some game time as soon as he is truly fit. Don't hold your breath re Osborne and Asante as it will be ages before they come back. It will be interesting to see if Slade is brave enough to play Vernon and Hooper up front together as one can hold it up and the other is looks better when he receives the ball on the deck.

Apart from a decent striker and possibly another CB we have a reasonable squad when they are all fit I am just not convinced we have a manager that can get them to gel.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 74
sam gy
August 27, 2017, 2:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Superdan147

Max Wright is a winger and right footed I believe. Clifton is only just coming back from injury after missing all of pre season.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 74
Garth
August 27, 2017, 2:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Davec

Hemail said Almond, Louis Almond plays for York.

Predictive text, pretty obvious who I mean
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 74
Mariner_09
August 27, 2017, 2:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I'd pick this side next week

McKeown

Mills
K Osborne
Clarke
Dixon

Dembele
Rose
Clements
DJ

Hooper
Vernon

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 74
MuddyWaters
August 27, 2017, 2:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09

McKeown

Mills
K Osborne
Clarke
Dixon

Dembele
Rose
Clements
DJ

Hooper
Vernon

There is absolutely zero chance of a 4-4-2
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 74
Swansea_Mariner
August 27, 2017, 3:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Do  Jones and Collins bans include the checkatrade games?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 74
Bigdog
August 27, 2017, 3:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09

McKeown

Mills
K Osborne
Clarke
Dixon

Dembele
Rose
Clements
DJ

Hooper
Vernon

TBF 09, that's not too far away from the best eleven we've got available. The sad thing is that three or four fill me with dread that they're our players never mind being anywhere near our preferred starting line-up..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 74
TheGoalKipper
August 27, 2017, 3:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from Mariner_09

McKeown

Mills
K Osborne
Clarke
Dixon

Dembele
Rose
Clements
DJ

Hooper
Vernon

There is some football in there but if Slade doesnt let them play on the ground they wont see it. Who will get the goals? DJ and Dembele might if the get forward,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 74
jonnyboy82
August 27, 2017, 8:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from TheGoalKipper

There is some football in there but if Slade doesnt let them play on the ground they wont see it. Who will get the goals? DJ and Dembele might if the get forward,

Slade not starting with that then.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 74
chaos33
August 27, 2017, 8:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
We haven't got the players or the tactics. We're badly missing an influential centre midfielder and a goalscorer more than anything. Unless we can sign two or three players before Friday we are going to struggle no matter how Slade wants to line them up IMO. It's a substandard squad playing pathetic hoofball with 10 men every week, and we're going to keep on getting beaten until there are changes.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 74
gaz57
August 27, 2017, 11:43pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
The club reminds me of an old car that the owner bought has a project but has no idea what he is doing. He keeps buying new parts pumping more and more money into it without solving the problem until eventually he can only afford to go to the scrap yard. Let's hope it isn't towed away. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 74
promotion plaice
August 28, 2017, 12:14am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,049
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from gaz57
The club reminds me of an old car that the owner bought has a project but has no idea what he is doing. He keeps buying new parts pumping more and more money into it without solving the problem until eventually he can only afford to go to the scrap yard. Let's hope it isn't towed away. UTM

Shame the owner was too stubborn to have taken the advice off a decent mechanic.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 74
August 28, 2017, 12:34am
Guest User
Quoted from Superdan147

I agree, I would be very please to see vose back, a far more intelligent and composed player than most of what we have now, didn't get enough of a chance. May not be the most pacey, but very good with the ball at his feet, can pass and can score which is more than can be said for most of our midfield atm...
Reply: 62 - 74
chaos33
August 28, 2017, 6:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Funny, because I probably think the opposite. Vose would be more of the same - ie, not good enough for a team with aspirations to challenge at the top of L2 (well at least the fans have). Technical ability not in doubt, but application? Consistency? I really can't see how Vose would help by having a good 20 minutes every 4 games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 74
Hagrid
August 28, 2017, 8:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,389
Gold Stars: 534
Judging by what we have, makes you wonder if the play offs were ever our target. I cannot belive how poor we are, expected so much more from slade and wilko. Worrying that in the post match questions, slade never seems to acknowledge anything is wrong, we need a minimum of 4 in by thursday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 74
gytone
August 28, 2017, 9:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,025
Gold Stars: 8
Don't know how fit Craig Disley is, or if he'd be willing to come back, but looking at our midfield we could do a lot worse than to get him back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 74
Reverendmariner
August 28, 2017, 10:43am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +275
A bloke in the pub told me on good authority that we're hoping to complete two signings before the window closes; Shaun Pearson from Wrexham and Craig Disley from Alfreton. Both quality experienced players. I'm cheered up by that; if we got them both it would make a huge difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 74
Civvy at last
August 28, 2017, 10:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Shame the owner was too stubborn to have taken the advice off a decent mechanic.

Obviously the mechanic was wrong. They just wouldn't listen. !!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 74
Mariner1980
August 28, 2017, 11:05am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +118
Would Wrexham take Clarke and Collins in swap for Pearson.
We need at least ONE player who gives a toss.
I'd go pick him up myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 74
HertsGTFC
August 28, 2017, 11:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Funny, because I probably think the opposite. Vose would be more of the same - ie, not good enough for a team with aspirations to challenge at the top of L2 (well at least the fans have). Technical ability not in doubt, but application? Consistency? I really can't see how Vose would help by having a good 20 minutes every 4 games.

Vose was released by the Scunts and just before the start of the season was still looking for a club so I am led to believe, he'll pop up at Shrewsbury at some point no doubt.

Personally I'm looking forward to Clements coming back and finding some form, he always wants the ball, can pick a pass and will chip in with a goal or two at the right time.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 74
Mrs Doyle
August 28, 2017, 11:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
Speed kills in thevleague and we are really lacking that up top. Kelly slows us down too much and we are not having enough shots on goal the first half was utter shite

Erm Tombola,Dembele,Diallang Jaisyemi, Clifton and Jones aint slouches either.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 74
mariner91
August 28, 2017, 11:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,636
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Erm Tombola,Dembele,Diallang Jaisyemi, Clifton and Jones aint slouches either.

We've got 3 or 4 players with a bit of pace but we give them no chance to use it by lumping it long towards their heads.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 74
Fat Cobra
August 28, 2017, 2:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -28
Approval: -1,479
Quoted from Reverendmariner
A bloke in the pub told me on good authority that we're hoping to complete two signings before the window closes; Shaun Pearson from Wrexham and Craig Disley from Alfreton. Both quality experienced players. I'm cheered up by that; if we got them both it would make a huge difference.

You been drinking with golfer again?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 74
chaos33
August 28, 2017, 5:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

We've got 3 or 4 players with a bit of pace but we give them no chance to use it by lumping it long towards their heads.

This, especially with Dembele. Doing what we've been doing is senseless.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 74
golfer
August 29, 2017, 7:38am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Fat Cobra

You been drinking with golfer again?

Actually F.C. I WAS there and did overhear the conversation although wasn't directly involved. It's the first time I've actually seen J.F. in that pub.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 74
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time to break open the piggy bank

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.