8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
August 26, 2017, 7:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Current squad not nearly good enough with long term injuries to Asante, Osborne & McAllister - the board need to seriously consider the ramifications of another trip to the National League on the evidence of the last few games. Hooper & Kelly are exactly what Vale fans said they were and our 'Dad's Army' central defenders seem to take it in turns to have a 'mare - today was Collins.
Private Message
Swansea_Mariner
August 26, 2017, 7:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
With one week left of the window it's too late, squeaky bum time until January me thinks.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 74
MuddyWaters
August 26, 2017, 7:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
With one week left of the window it's too late, squeaky bum time until January me thinks.  

I look at the signings we've made and I don't have confidence in any of them. Even Dembele was running down blind alleys today with zero end product.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 74
Mrs Doyle
August 26, 2017, 8:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
The more we go down to ten men the more it looks like players desperation and last resort tactics. Dembele can play a bit but without help eventually gets crowded out. The lack of movement up field is alarming we have speed merchants but nothing for them to hit, At least three really good crosses were whipped in today at pace screaming for some one to anticipate and covert. We seemed to have more urgency but only when we were down to ten men. Hooper is one of those players that looks a bit clumsy ans lethargic. His counterpart Akinfenwa looks more like a prop forward and very slow but as a target man he shields, flicks on and wins a good percentage of crosses and even with the turning circle of a gulf oil tanker still outdid Collins,Clarke and co.

Next up Crewe we need to set up for our first home win and eleven players remaining on the field Slade
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 74
jonnyboy82
August 26, 2017, 8:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Love how we can't wait to hand out two year deals to Sam kelly JJ hooper Paul Dixon but we still can't sign anyone remotely good enough to show that we are serious this year.

I think the overall quality of signing this season have been the worst for a long time..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 74
TownSNAFU5
August 26, 2017, 9:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Pearson anyone?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 74
HertsGTFC
August 26, 2017, 9:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Current squad not nearly good enough with long term injuries to Asante, Osborne & McAllister - the board need to seriously consider the ramifications of another trip to the National League on the evidence of the last few games. Hooper & Kelly are exactly what Vale fans said they were and our 'Dad's Army' central defenders seem to take it in turns to have a 'mare - today was Collins.

Agree with this completely, only problem is that anyone worth taking and who is match fit is probably starting for another club.

Where buggered to the next window I think.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 74
BottesfordMariner
August 26, 2017, 9:25pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Nomally i would say we're only 4 games in and the team needs timel to gel so too early to panic,,BUT I have to agree.

We dont look a good side..we got beaten today by another poor side imo. We give away too may silly goals and dont really seem to have much of a goal threat ourselves. On top of that we cant keep 11 players on the pitch. 5 games played and a red cad in each.

We let a number of players go in the summer with the supposed idea we were going to bring better players in and improver the team. I dont see it. I dont think this team is as good as last years or the team we had in the Conference the previous season. Clarke better than Pearson ?? Rose better than Diz?

Dixon is no better than say Gregor Robertson was..Kelly hasnt done much yet. Hooper scored a good goal today but I am not convinced by him . Cardwell puts himself about but is another who lacks much 1st team experience.

Dembele is an exciting player to watch but with little help around him ends up trying to do too much. Jaiseyimi in his cameo today showed a couple of nice touches. But both are young and inexperienced..this is their first taste of pro football. A bit unfiar that we are pinning our hopes on them

Ok we have a couple of injuries (and seem to be missing Jamie Osborne). All of a sudden Berrett (who to be fair i think is a decent honest pro) is one of our main players. Will Asante's eventual return make a difference ...again we dont know as he is another with little/no league experience.

I feel a bit sorry for Slade as he doesnt seem to have been given much backing and the signings smack of bargain basement. That said I would at least like to see Town play something resembling football. Far too much back to front long ball.

As the OP says so far on this evidence we are going to be nearer the bottom of the league than the top and we cant even contemplate what another relegation to the Conference would mean. It would destroy us (look at York City....that could be our future) The board need to act. We have only used a fraction of the Bogle transfer fee and now have the sell on fee following his move to Cardiff. They need to use a bit of this before its too late.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 74
barrattstandman
August 26, 2017, 9:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +477
Gold Stars: 17
Calum Dyson ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 74
golfer
August 26, 2017, 9:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
I can't see our non-managers lasting any longer than Bignot. If they don't pull their fingers out the mountain will be too big too climb. We must have some money left from last season-we have got to try to buy someone instead of scrapheap merchants. If we don't improve pretty soon it could become the demise to non league. I hope someone with Town at heart can for once see sense and accept they are never going to recoup their outlay.call it a day and accept their losses and leave the gates open for someone else to start with a clean sheet. At the moment the future is very worrying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 74
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time to break open the piggy bank

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.