HertsGTFC
August 26, 2017, 9:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
Nomally i would say we're only 4 games in and the team needs timel to gel so too early to panic,,BUT I have to agree.

We dont look a good side..we got beaten today by another poor side imo. We give away too may silly goals and dont really seem to have much of a goal threat ourselves.

We let a number of players go in the summer with the supposed idea we were going to bring better players in and improver the team. I dont see it. I dont think this team is as good as last years or the team we had in the Conference the previous season. Clarke better than Pearson ?? Rose better than Diz?

Dixon is no better than say Gregor Robertson was..Kelly hasnt done much yet. Hooper scored a good goal today but I am not convinced by him . Cardwell puts himself about but is another who lacks much 1st team experience.

Dembele is an exciting player to watch but with little help around him ends up trying to do too much. Jaiseyimi in his cameo today showed a couple of nice touches. But both are young and inexperienced..this is their first taste of pro football. A bit unfiar that we are pinning our hopes on them

Ok we have a couple of injuries (and seem to be missing Jamie Osborne). All of a sudden Berrett (who to be fair i think is a decent honest pro) is one of our main players. Will Asante's eventual return make a difference ...again we dont know as he is another with little/no league experience.

I feel a bit sorry for Slade as he doesnt seem to have been given much backing and the signings smack of bargain basement. That said I would at least like to see Town play something resembling football. Far too much back to front long ball.

As the OP says so far on this evidence we are going to be nearer the bottom of the league than the top and we cant even contemplate what another relegation to the Conference would mean. It would destroy us (look at York City....that could be our future) The board need to act. We have only used a fraction of the Bogle transfer fee and now have the sell on fee following his move to Cardiff. They need to use a bit of this before its too late.

Good post!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 74
Swansea_Mariner
August 26, 2017, 9:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
I really don't feel Slade has used his budget wisely, there are definitely clubs with smaller budgets than us in this league who seem to set up competitively.

Now if we really were to throw big money at it in January would we really trust him to spend it well?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 74
Bigdog
August 26, 2017, 9:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
If I was being really strict with the budget, I wouldn't have too many players out of this squad that I think are fit for purpose..

Dembele
Osborne
Osbourne
Mills
Asante
Jaiyesimi
Rose M
Rose A
Jones
Clements

That's about it.

What we keep doing is signing relegated players who are not rated by their own fans and also recently turned old slow journeyman players looking for a final pay day. Talk about Div 4 cliche signings.

What we need to sign is young, strong, quick, eager to learn players Then our coaches should do what they're paid to do, coach and develop them. At least they'll have the basic physical requirements half of our squad clearly lack.

Works for clubs like Accrington who haven't got half the income we have..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 74
GrimRob
August 26, 2017, 10:07pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Maybe we need an inspirational manager who can inspire good players to come in the first place? I liked PH and I think his players generally did too, he gave the impression he was going places. Slade has had a few bad experiences recently, he's not exactly got many successes on his cv and coming here, if you are young and hoping to get noticed, and playing for his teams might not be as attractive as somewhere like Lincoln with a dynamic young manager.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 74
HertsGTFC
August 26, 2017, 10:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog
If I was being really strict with the budget, I wouldn't have too many players out of this squad that I think are fit for purpose..

Dembele - Yes
Osborne - Yes
Osbourne - How do you know based on what we have seen? Cameos and a game versus Winterton  
Mills -  Learning weekly
Asante - Definite potential but I think it might be a Hearn situation at best  
Jaiyesimi - Have you really seen enough of him?
Rose M - Agree
Rose A - What? How can you tell? No time in senior football and a few games in the reserves
Jones - Agree
Clements - All being well.

That's about it.

What we keep doing is signing relegated players who are not rated by their own fans and also recently turned old slow journeyman players looking for a final pay day. Talk about Div 4 cliche signings.

What we need to sign is young, strong, quick, eager to learn players Then our coaches should do what they're paid to do, coach and develop them. At least they'll have the basic physical requirements half of our squad clearly lack.

I get the theme but see above re players........

Also regarding "eager to learn" actually if you look at us when we lose it's usually to aides with experienced and "smart" players who know how to win games, not always by fair measures but efficient all the same.  

From the outside looking in the Bignot legacy appears to have taken the club from play offs to p1ssed off and drained the Omar money............Who appointed him? The same person who appointed a string of poor managers, he did appoint a manager with an excellent record of success once but sacked him after 6 games.....you never know he might do it again.

I have defended Fenty on a number of occasions as his money has bailed us out but his small club/small town dictatorship will see us disappear off the radar if we are not careful

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 74
HertsGTFC
August 26, 2017, 10:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
Maybe we need an inspirational manager who can inspire good players to come in the first place? I liked PH and I think his players generally did too, he gave the impression he was going places. Slade has had a few bad experiences recently, he's not exactly got many successes on his cv and coming here, if you are young and hoping to get noticed, and playing for his teams might not be as attractive as somewhere like Lincoln with a dynamic young manager.

A classic case of Manager on the rise versus manager on the decline. Then again for a while we where all taken in by the up and coming Marcus Bignot.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 74
ginnywings
August 26, 2017, 10:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from Bigdog

Dembele
Osborne
Osbourne
Mills
Asante
Jaiyesimi
Rose M
Rose A
Jones
Clements

That's about it.

We were saying this today. Summerfield, Berrett, Hooper, Kelly and Clarke all have recent relegations on their CV.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 74
Swansea_Mariner
August 26, 2017, 10:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Dynamic young manager? We had one of those and he got run out of town labelled a clueless gobshite.  Yes I accept  he was a bit manic and the results inconsistent,  but we don't appear any better off having given Slade  carte blanche to remake the team in his image.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 74
Swansea_Mariner
August 26, 2017, 10:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

We were saying this today. Summerfield, Berrett, Hooper, Kelly and Clarke all have recent relegations on their CV.

And Dixon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 74
Quagmire
August 26, 2017, 10:35pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +929
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from ginnywings

And Rose was seconds away from relegation with Newport last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time to break open the piggy bank

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.