Marinerz93
August 30, 2017, 10:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from mariner91
I think this needs translating into Fentyism so the fans don't listen actually means "the fans are annoying me because they won't let me do whatever I want and have the cheek to actively do the opppsite".

The main problem is that Fenty is surrounded by yes men, and when he comes on here people generally tell it as it is, he has no control or influence so gets a bit mardy and vents, this time it was to the wrong person. Just like the time he said to Mighty if you love the club so much you'll do it for free after finding out Mighty got paid a even though it was paltry sum.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
Cloudy
August 31, 2017, 8:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
The thing is that JF will take the current wave of criticism as a direct reflection of results.

He believes he only gets flack when results are not going our way but if\when things improve on the pitch everybody is happy.

Misguided from my point of view
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
MuddyWaters
August 31, 2017, 9:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Cloudy
The thing is that JF will take the current wave of criticism as a direct reflection of results.

He believes he only gets flack when results are not going our way but if\when things improve on the pitch everybody is happy.

Misguided from my point of view

I know I've become a grumpy old cynic but my belief is that when we have a successful run that it's in spite of the way the club is run rather than because of it.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
GollyGTFC
August 31, 2017, 10:02am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,955
Gold Stars: 356
The small band of middle class football fans driving the Checkatrade Trophy complaints (and I mean nationally rather than just the Grimsby fans) should maybe remember that a noisy minority is still a minority and ignore the real issue that brought about the changes- the majority of clubs entering the competition lost money from competing in it.

Barnsley were the last winners of the JPT. Their total prize money was just £124,000 for winning the whole tournament. The majority however got next to nothing. Gate receipts are none existent until you get to the regional Semi-Final. Basically 40 out of 48 clubs used to lose money competing in the JPT.

This season clubs get £20k just for competing, £10k for a group stage win £5k for a draw. The winners of the competition can earn up to £310k in prize money (if they win all their group games).

So Grimsby are 1 game into the tournament and have already received £25k- enough to cover the wages of YT graduates Tom Sawyer & Jack Keeble this season.

It's easy for some clubs in League One & Two to scoff at a guaranteed £20k, but for the majority it's a vital new revenue stream. It's very easy for middle class, keyboard warrior football fans to protest at the changes to the competition, but to some it's the difference between profit and loss for an entire season.

Maybe football at our level is broken and has sold out. But don't blame the poor guy doing what he has to to make ends meet. Blame the people in power who have put him in that position in the first place.

And anyway, so what if there's change. Until 1966 there was only 2 domestic club matches a season played at Wembley Stadium- the FA Cup Final & the FA Amateur Cup Final.

1967 - League Cup Final moved to Wembley.
1974 - FA Amateur Cup discontinued. Finals of both FA Trophy & FA Vase played at Wembley.
1974 - Charity Shield moved to Wembley.
1985 - Football League Trophy Final moved to Wembley.
1986 - Full Members Cup Final played at Wembley (until 1992).
1990 - Football League Play-off Finals moved to Wembley.
1991 - 1st FA Cup Semi-Final played at Wembley.
2007 - National League Promotion Final moved to Wembley.
2008 - Both FA Cup Semi-Finals moved to (New) Wembley.

Which goes to show, English Football isn't 1 long tradition. It's been evolving over the decades. We've gone from 2 domestic games at Wembley in season 1965/66 to there being 12 domestic games at Wembley in season 2016/17.

Each time a new game was added to Wembley there were mutterings that it devalued Wembley and went against the traditions of English football. It didn't. English football has been evolving since the Football League formed in 1888.

With regards to the EFL Trophy vote. It was simple. Have a tournament with 16 academy teams in it with a prize pool of £3 million (more than 500% increase on the final JPT). Or revert to a 48 team tournament with no guarantee of any prize money whatsoever.

I am Fenty's biggest critic, but when those are the 2 options what is he supposed to do?
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 42
psgmariner
August 31, 2017, 12:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Interesting post but what's being middle class got to do with anything?!

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
Maringer
August 31, 2017, 12:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,504
Gold Stars: 185
Also, how much does it cost to stage a game at BP? I'd imagine a low attendance would mean that sales of food and drink would be right down, increasing the potential costs. I suppose if the tickets purchased cover the costs then it's still a net gain.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
Cloudy
August 31, 2017, 12:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from psgmariner
Interesting post but what's being middle class got to do with anything?!

Exactly!

How condescending!

What the post does show is a complete misunderstanding of why the majority are against the competition ( or at the very least why I object to it)

It isnt about money and never was.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
Bigdog
August 31, 2017, 7:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from GollyGTFC
The small band of middle class football fans driving the Checkatrade Trophy complaints (and I mean nationally rather than just the Grimsby fans) should maybe remember that a noisy minority is still a minority and ignore the real issue that brought about the changes- the majority of clubs entering the competition lost money from competing in it.

Barnsley were the last winners of the JPT. Their total prize money was just £124,000 for winning the whole tournament. The majority however got next to nothing. Gate receipts are none existent until you get to the regional Semi-Final. Basically 40 out of 48 clubs used to lose money competing in the JPT.

This season clubs get £20k just for competing, £10k for a group stage win £5k for a draw. The winners of the competition can earn up to £310k in prize money (if they win all their group games).

So Grimsby are 1 game into the tournament and have already received £25k- enough to cover the wages of YT graduates Tom Sawyer & Jack Keeble this season.

It's easy for some clubs in League One & Two to scoff at a guaranteed £20k, but for the majority it's a vital new revenue stream. It's very easy for middle class, keyboard warrior football fans to protest at the changes to the competition, but to some it's the difference between profit and loss for an entire season.

Maybe football at our level is broken and has sold out. But don't blame the poor guy doing what he has to to make ends meet. Blame the people in power who have put him in that position in the first place.

And anyway, so what if there's change. Until 1966 there was only 2 domestic club matches a season played at Wembley Stadium- the FA Cup Final & the FA Amateur Cup Final.

1974 - FA Amateur Cup discontinued. Finals of both FA Trophy & FA Vase played at Wembley.

Which goes to show, English Football isn't 1 long tradition. It's been evolving over the decades. We've gone from 2 domestic games at Wembley in season 1965/66 to there being 12 domestic games at Wembley in season 2016/17.

Each time a new game was added to Wembley there were mutterings that it devalued Wembley and went against the traditions of English football. It didn't. English football has been evolving since the Football League formed in 1888.

With regards to the EFL Trophy vote. It was simple. Have a tournament with 16 academy teams in it with a prize pool of £3 million (more than 500% increase on the final JPT). Or revert to a 48 team tournament with no guarantee of any prize money whatsoever.

I am Fenty's biggest critic, but when those are the 2 options what is he supposed to do?

How about voting against and still pocketing the prize money?

Other than having FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley, I don't think any fans think that staging the other games like the play-offs and non-league finals devalue Wembley.

That would apply to all teams and be reflected in playing budget reduction for all. The players would lose out more than electric bills not getting paid.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
realist
August 31, 2017, 9:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
Golly, you are a patronising sharp object.  You sound like Fenty with a spellchecker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
UTMariners
August 31, 2017, 10:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +424
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I think its fair to say the problem people have with the Checkatrade trophy is they see it as the thin end of the wedge. We all know there have been plans to have B teams competing in the lower leagues, and this could well be the start of it, so IMO I think the protests are fully justified. And I'm not middle class!

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We don't listen

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.