5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
August 24, 2017, 1:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
Very interesting diary today on Cod Almighty: [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=6401[/url]

Basically, Fenty doesn't think us fans listen.

It's interesting because fans aren't here to listen. It works the other way round.

Chairman, major shareholders and boards are there to listen to the fans.

In an ideal world, of course.

Did they listen to us when there was a vote on B Teams entering the Checkatrade Trophy?

No.

They didn't even ask.

The board voted in favour of them.

Why? Because they were sold an idea.

An idea that it might just somehow benefit the international futures of our young players.

Oh, and here's lots of cash.

So, fans are less important than money.

If you've got money, you don't need fans.

Right. So now we know where we stand.

Soon we'll be in a world where you can play football matches in empty stadiums and not feel a financial burden.

Because, as long as you have money, you don't need fans.

Let's play our games in another town! In another country! Game 39! Let's call our club something else!

That's the way football is going.

The most influential people making important decisions, without the thoughts and feelings of the most important people in football.

The fans.

So, if you're in Grimsby and Cleethorpes next week and can make the fans' B Team boycott match, please make the effort to go.

Otherwise we'll continue to be ignored on the biggest matters in the running of our beloved club.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Mariner_09
August 24, 2017, 2:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
How are sales for that charity match going.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 42
Bigdog
August 24, 2017, 2:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
The thing is we do listen. Unfortunately we hang on to and analyse every word or statement. We listen but we don't agree about B teams. What does he want? Us to listen and listen and listen until we agree with  whatever he says or wants.

Listening is a two-way street.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 42
mariner91
August 24, 2017, 3:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
I think this needs translating into Fentyism so the fans don't listen actually means "the fans are annoying me because they won't let me do whatever I want and have the cheek to actively do the opppsite".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 42
headingly_mariner
August 24, 2017, 3:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
It's just a crap way to treat fans. It won't change until there is a change of ownership.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 42
grimsby pete
August 24, 2017, 3:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Listening to Fenty is like listening to my wife,

She is always right of course,

AND

I am only right if she agrees with me.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 42
arryarryarry
August 24, 2017, 4:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from RichMariner
Very interesting diary today on Cod Almighty: [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=6401[/url]

Basically, Fenty doesn't think us fans listen.

It's interesting because fans aren't here to listen. It works the other way round.

Chairman, major shareholders and boards are there to listen to the fans.

In an ideal world, of course.

Did they listen to us when there was a vote on B Teams entering the Checkatrade Trophy?

No.

They didn't even ask.

The board voted in favour of them.

Why? Because they were sold an idea.

An idea that it might just somehow benefit the international futures of our young players.

Oh, and here's lots of cash.

So, fans are less important than money.

If you've got money, you don't need fans.

Right. So now we know where we stand.

Soon we'll be in a world where you can play football matches in empty stadiums and not feel a financial burden.

Because, as long as you have money, you don't need fans.

Let's play our games in another town! In another country! Game 39! Let's call our club something else!

That's the way football is going.

The most influential people making important decisions, without the thoughts and feelings of the most important people in football.

The fans.

So, if you're in Grimsby and Cleethorpes next week and can make the fans' B Team boycott match, please make the effort to go.

Otherwise we'll continue to be ignored on the biggest matters in the running of our beloved club.

I've have often been a critic of JF on here, but surely every other chairman / major shareholder / board of clubs in League 1 & 2 have accepted the rules of the whatsit trophy.

As for Codalmighty why not go the whole hog and change their name to antifentyalmighty.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 42
Cloudy
August 24, 2017, 4:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from arryarryarry

I've have often been a critic of JF on here, but surely every other chairman / major shareholder / board of clubs in League 1 & 2 have accepted the rules of the whatsit trophy.

As for Codalmighty why not go the whole hog and change their name to antifentyalmighty.

i totally agree that it wasnt just JF and the GTFC board to voted to extend the life of this Trophy.

I havent seen any other clubs openly throwing the decision down the throats of their supporters by claiming the fans arent listening, or the obstructing of the fans team playing against a rival teams supporters?

never been a huge fan of codalmighty but if they are anti Fenty then I am with them
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 42
arryarryarry
August 24, 2017, 4:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Cloudy

i totally agree that it wasnt just JF and the GTFC board to voted to extend the life of this Trophy.

I havent seen any other clubs openly throwing the decision down the throats of their supporters by claiming the fans arent listening, or the obstructing of the fans team playing against a rival teams supporters?

never been a huge fan of codalmighty but if they are anti Fenty then I am with them

Has this actually been proved.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 42
MuddyWaters
August 24, 2017, 5:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
It's more of the same, I'm afraid. The club is being held back by its' financial situation which is mainly the debt owed to one person who can call the shots. Linking the sale of Mansfield tickets to stubs from the Meaningless Trophy is just another cynical flick of the V's at the fans whose opinion begs to differ.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 42
grimsby pete
August 25, 2017, 2:27pm

Exile
I am not  Fenty fan nor do I hate him,

I tend to agree with most on here but sometime find their views strange,

I understand why most are boycotting the trophy games but I do not like that is costing the club extra money,

That extra money might just be enough to get another player in to strengthen the squad,

If you all said we will not attend the game against the under 23 team but attend the other two games that would put your point across a lot better than boycotting all the games,

Then the club could see the difference in the attendances and maybe think that cost warrants us to try and convince other teams to speak out against the inclusion of under 23 teams,

So we might get 5,000 + gates against Donny and Scunny and 500 against the youth team,

That would send a lot better message to the powers that be.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 42
RichMariner
August 25, 2017, 3:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
I understand your point but the Internet Mariners and anyone else who has been involved in organising this boycott match have been encouraging fans to spend the ticket money in the club shop instead, therefore we're not denying GTFC the money they'd ordinarily get on the turnstiles.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
headingly_mariner
August 25, 2017, 4:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

I understand why most are boycotting the trophy games but I do not like that is costing the club extra money,

That extra money might just be enough to get another player in to strengthen the squad,

If you all said we will not attend the game against the under 23 team but attend the other two games that would put your point across a lot better than boycotting all the games,

Then the club could see the difference in the attendances and maybe think that cost warrants us to try and convince other teams to speak out against the inclusion of under 23 teams,

So we might get 5,000 + gates against Donny and Scunny and 500 against the youth team,

Don't you think that those who make the decisions should cover the loss of revenue? I'd be happy to spend extra money at the club if they hadn't ignored fans and voted for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
Mariner Ronnie
August 25, 2017, 4:21pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
I've lost all respect for cod almighty since they liked a pro communist tweet on twitter.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
MuddyWaters
August 25, 2017, 4:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

But nobody gains from this competition other than the clubs with U23s. Most fans spend enough following the Mariners without wasting their money watching Saturdays subs plus the Youth.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
biggles9999
August 25, 2017, 4:53pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Saw a comment above about sales. We are at around 60 ticket sales, although we are fully expecting a lot more to just turn up on the night.

In terms of donations and ticket sales combined we are closing in on reaching £1000 raised, before expenses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
Bigdog
August 25, 2017, 7:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

I'm not sure anyone hates JF, I think most fans have come to the conclusion that he's not that good at certain things and supporting our club under his long tenure is becoming very stale, very quickly.

In theory you could be spot on with your sentiment Pete, but Harvey and the FA would use the gates against Donny and Scunny to justify the competition's existence and sweep the 500 U23 gate under the carpet.

We saw it last season. Trying to get as much publicity as possible out of the 70,000 gate for the final at Wembley, (thanks Oxford and Coventry fans), yet covering up virtually every club recording their lowest ever attendance figures.

They'll massage any data they can and we'd just be helping them to reach their desired goal.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
ginnywings
August 25, 2017, 8:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Do the club actually lose money from this competition? It was never very well attended anyway, which is why this new format was sneaked in and the money they are throwing into the pot as a sweetener must cover most, if not all the shortfall in attendance?

I have no qualms about boycotting and don't feel at all obliged to spend extra money elsewhere to salve my conscience. It was the club's decision to enter into it and after last season, they knew the crowds would be down but voted for it again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
biggles9999
August 25, 2017, 8:29pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
In its present guise, the club are making a profit - even with the boycott.

Which is part of the reason why many are so keen to vote for something that could have major implications long term.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
Mariner Ronnie
August 30, 2017, 4:01pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
I've lost all respect for cod almighty since they liked a pro communist tweet on twitter.

Bait taken.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
Marinerz93
August 30, 2017, 10:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from mariner91
I think this needs translating into Fentyism so the fans don't listen actually means "the fans are annoying me because they won't let me do whatever I want and have the cheek to actively do the opppsite".

The main problem is that Fenty is surrounded by yes men, and when he comes on here people generally tell it as it is, he has no control or influence so gets a bit mardy and vents, this time it was to the wrong person. Just like the time he said to Mighty if you love the club so much you'll do it for free after finding out Mighty got paid a even though it was paltry sum.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
Cloudy
August 31, 2017, 8:24am
Whiskey Drinker
The thing is that JF will take the current wave of criticism as a direct reflection of results.

He believes he only gets flack when results are not going our way but if\when things improve on the pitch everybody is happy.

Misguided from my point of view
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
MuddyWaters
August 31, 2017, 9:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy
The thing is that JF will take the current wave of criticism as a direct reflection of results.

He believes he only gets flack when results are not going our way but if\when things improve on the pitch everybody is happy.

Misguided from my point of view

I know I've become a grumpy old cynic but my belief is that when we have a successful run that it's in spite of the way the club is run rather than because of it.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
GollyGTFC
August 31, 2017, 10:02am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
The small band of middle class football fans driving the Checkatrade Trophy complaints (and I mean nationally rather than just the Grimsby fans) should maybe remember that a noisy minority is still a minority and ignore the real issue that brought about the changes- the majority of clubs entering the competition lost money from competing in it.

Barnsley were the last winners of the JPT. Their total prize money was just £124,000 for winning the whole tournament. The majority however got next to nothing. Gate receipts are none existent until you get to the regional Semi-Final. Basically 40 out of 48 clubs used to lose money competing in the JPT.

This season clubs get £20k just for competing, £10k for a group stage win £5k for a draw. The winners of the competition can earn up to £310k in prize money (if they win all their group games).

So Grimsby are 1 game into the tournament and have already received £25k- enough to cover the wages of YT graduates Tom Sawyer & Jack Keeble this season.

It's easy for some clubs in League One & Two to scoff at a guaranteed £20k, but for the majority it's a vital new revenue stream. It's very easy for middle class, keyboard warrior football fans to protest at the changes to the competition, but to some it's the difference between profit and loss for an entire season.

Maybe football at our level is broken and has sold out. But don't blame the poor guy doing what he has to to make ends meet. Blame the people in power who have put him in that position in the first place.

And anyway, so what if there's change. Until 1966 there was only 2 domestic club matches a season played at Wembley Stadium- the FA Cup Final & the FA Amateur Cup Final.

1967 - League Cup Final moved to Wembley.
1974 - FA Amateur Cup discontinued. Finals of both FA Trophy & FA Vase played at Wembley.
1974 - Charity Shield moved to Wembley.
1985 - Football League Trophy Final moved to Wembley.
1986 - Full Members Cup Final played at Wembley (until 1992).
1990 - Football League Play-off Finals moved to Wembley.
1991 - 1st FA Cup Semi-Final played at Wembley.
2007 - National League Promotion Final moved to Wembley.
2008 - Both FA Cup Semi-Finals moved to (New) Wembley.

Which goes to show, English Football isn't 1 long tradition. It's been evolving over the decades. We've gone from 2 domestic games at Wembley in season 1965/66 to there being 12 domestic games at Wembley in season 2016/17.

Each time a new game was added to Wembley there were mutterings that it devalued Wembley and went against the traditions of English football. It didn't. English football has been evolving since the Football League formed in 1888.

With regards to the EFL Trophy vote. It was simple. Have a tournament with 16 academy teams in it with a prize pool of £3 million (more than 500% increase on the final JPT). Or revert to a 48 team tournament with no guarantee of any prize money whatsoever.

I am Fenty's biggest critic, but when those are the 2 options what is he supposed to do?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 42
psgmariner
August 31, 2017, 12:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Interesting post but what's being middle class got to do with anything?!

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
Maringer
August 31, 2017, 12:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,404
Gold Stars: 184
Also, how much does it cost to stage a game at BP? I'd imagine a low attendance would mean that sales of food and drink would be right down, increasing the potential costs. I suppose if the tickets purchased cover the costs then it's still a net gain.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
Cloudy
August 31, 2017, 12:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner
Interesting post but what's being middle class got to do with anything?!

Exactly!

How condescending!

What the post does show is a complete misunderstanding of why the majority are against the competition ( or at the very least why I object to it)

It isnt about money and never was.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
Bigdog
August 31, 2017, 7:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
The small band of middle class football fans driving the Checkatrade Trophy complaints (and I mean nationally rather than just the Grimsby fans) should maybe remember that a noisy minority is still a minority and ignore the real issue that brought about the changes- the majority of clubs entering the competition lost money from competing in it.

Barnsley were the last winners of the JPT. Their total prize money was just £124,000 for winning the whole tournament. The majority however got next to nothing. Gate receipts are none existent until you get to the regional Semi-Final. Basically 40 out of 48 clubs used to lose money competing in the JPT.

This season clubs get £20k just for competing, £10k for a group stage win £5k for a draw. The winners of the competition can earn up to £310k in prize money (if they win all their group games).

So Grimsby are 1 game into the tournament and have already received £25k- enough to cover the wages of YT graduates Tom Sawyer & Jack Keeble this season.

It's easy for some clubs in League One & Two to scoff at a guaranteed £20k, but for the majority it's a vital new revenue stream. It's very easy for middle class, keyboard warrior football fans to protest at the changes to the competition, but to some it's the difference between profit and loss for an entire season.

Maybe football at our level is broken and has sold out. But don't blame the poor guy doing what he has to to make ends meet. Blame the people in power who have put him in that position in the first place.

And anyway, so what if there's change. Until 1966 there was only 2 domestic club matches a season played at Wembley Stadium- the FA Cup Final & the FA Amateur Cup Final.

1974 - FA Amateur Cup discontinued. Finals of both FA Trophy & FA Vase played at Wembley.

Which goes to show, English Football isn't 1 long tradition. It's been evolving over the decades. We've gone from 2 domestic games at Wembley in season 1965/66 to there being 12 domestic games at Wembley in season 2016/17.

Each time a new game was added to Wembley there were mutterings that it devalued Wembley and went against the traditions of English football. It didn't. English football has been evolving since the Football League formed in 1888.

With regards to the EFL Trophy vote. It was simple. Have a tournament with 16 academy teams in it with a prize pool of £3 million (more than 500% increase on the final JPT). Or revert to a 48 team tournament with no guarantee of any prize money whatsoever.

I am Fenty's biggest critic, but when those are the 2 options what is he supposed to do?

How about voting against and still pocketing the prize money?

Other than having FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley, I don't think any fans think that staging the other games like the play-offs and non-league finals devalue Wembley.

That would apply to all teams and be reflected in playing budget reduction for all. The players would lose out more than electric bills not getting paid.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
realist
August 31, 2017, 9:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
Golly, you are a patronising sharp object.  You sound like Fenty with a spellchecker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
UTMariners
August 31, 2017, 10:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +424
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I think its fair to say the problem people have with the Checkatrade trophy is they see it as the thin end of the wedge. We all know there have been plans to have B teams competing in the lower leagues, and this could well be the start of it, so IMO I think the protests are fully justified. And I'm not middle class!

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
KingstonMariner
August 31, 2017, 11:48pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Golly, lots of people know that football has been evolving since the year dot. But that's got intercourse all to do with the opposition to the changes to the FL Trophy competition. It's not reactionary Luddism. It's about protecting the fundamental values of the game. It's about not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

If clubs are losing money on the competition, end it.  Lots of people are prepared for that to happen. And would rather see that than allowing the Trojan Horse to enter. Allowing to FL trophy to die wouldn't exactly be reactionary now would it?

And if you want to take a hard-nosed, business led approach to things, the lower League clubs could negotiate a much better position than the odd million quid being chucked their collective way. The PL need the FL more than the FL need the PL in respect of player development. We've got the competition that they crave for their under-utilised resources. They've got the billions. So for Harvey to persuade Fenty and other chairmen to bend over and say to the PL, 'take your turn gents, no lube required' is a failure in pure finance terms. Naivety masquerading as commercialism. And these are supposed to be businessmen.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
headingly_mariner
September 2, 2017, 1:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I think you're underestimating the strength of feeling against the current tournament. Fans are rightly worried that B Teams being involved in first team competitions threatens our future as a football league club. Then FA and Premier League have been pushing a agenda to see B teams enter the pyramid, when met with opposition they've been trying to do it a different way. Clubs like ours can't sell out in the short term when the long term loss could be huge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
WetFlannel
September 2, 2017, 2:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
Can't believe it turns out we're all middle class for opposing the Checkatrade Trophy. How about when we play our  next game in it we all get together and have a protest cheese board?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
wigworld
September 2, 2017, 2:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
I know the trophy has never attracted huge interest, but I reckon something beween 1.500 and 2,000 Town supporters boycotted Tuesday's match. Is that really a 'middle class minority'?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 42
grimsby pete
September 2, 2017, 2:54pm

Exile
What would happen if the League DID allow B teams in our league next season,

Would you boycott all Towns games or just the ones when we play the B teams ?

If you say all games then you are not a true supporter of our great club.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
somersetmariner
September 2, 2017, 3:02pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
B teams in professional competition, should not be allowed. EVER. Football in England is born in character of every boy on the school field. Our clubs, of which there about 100 professional teams, plus the chaps that would like to establish themselves. mimicking Spain is not a realistic option in our game. Sorry. intercourse off .

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
Gaffer58
September 2, 2017, 3:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
Eventually and it could be 10 plus years but relegation from the prem will cease, all these foreign owners do not put millions into a club with the risk that they could be relegated. To get from the championship to the prem you will need to meet certain criteria, Bournemouth at the moment with a ground that only holds approx 10/11k would not go up. They only want clubs like Leeds, Villa etc to go up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
Vance Warner
September 2, 2017, 8:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,775
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from Gaffer58
Eventually and it could be 10 plus years but relegation from the prem will cease, all these foreign owners do not put millions into a club with the risk that they could be relegated. To get from the championship to the prem you will need to meet certain criteria, Bournemouth at the moment with a ground that only holds approx 10/11k would not go up. They only want clubs like Leeds, Villa etc to go up.

Bournemouth are a classic example of a team that has bought success. Yes they have a very good manager but it's not the fairy tale it's made out to be. The sad thing is they are taking the place of teams with much larger fan bases who don't have the same financial backing. IMO there are as many big clubs in the Championship as the Prem nowadays.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 42
Squarkus
September 2, 2017, 8:39pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -295
Do we not get the chance to play squad members that are coming back to fitness, players that are not part of the starting 11 and also looking at potential loan players from bigger clubs that will not figure in there starting 20.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
Cloudy
September 2, 2017, 8:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Squarkus
Do we not get the chance to play squad members that are coming back to fitness, players that are not part of the starting 11 and also looking at potential loan players from bigger clubs that will not figure in there starting 20.

We could be giving game time to our players that need it in a competition consisting of League 1 & 2 teams could we not?

If the bigger clubs didn't stockpile all the youngsters then they may well be learning their trade in the FL!
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
Squarkus
September 2, 2017, 9:29pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -295
Quoted from Cloudy

We could be giving game time to our players that need it in a competition consisting of League 1 & 2 teams could we not?

If the bigger clubs didn't stockpile all the youngsters then they may well be learning their trade in the FL!

We cannot control other financially better of clubs and yes they do stockpile them, firstly its gtfc we support, I would watch them if they played on the ploggers, the point being if there is a player in there stockpile that our scouts are watching or our manager watching that potentionaly we could loan and better the squad it's got to be a good thing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 42
KingstonMariner
September 2, 2017, 9:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Loans can and do happen anyway Squarkus.

If they didn't stockpile so many young players who have got no chance of making it in their squads there'd be no need in the first place. It's time the League played hardball with the Premier. They need our collaboration more than we need the crumbs from their table.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 42
Cloudy
September 2, 2017, 9:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Squarkus

We cannot control other financially better of clubs and yes they do stockpile them, firstly its gtfc we support, I would watch them if they played on the ploggers, the point being if there is a player in there stockpile that our scouts are watching or our manager watching that potentionaly we could loan and better the squad it's got to be a good thing.

Poor excuse.. We can scout players without selling our soul to the Premiership.

Many many fans are totally against this trophy and it is about times Directors realised they are custodians of the clubs and must take into account their fans views. Any business that ignores the wishes of its 'customers' do it at their peril
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 42
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We don't listen

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.