August 25, 2017, 2:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
I am not  Fenty fan nor do I hate him,

I tend to agree with most on here but sometime find their views strange,

I understand why most are boycotting the trophy games but I do not like that is costing the club extra money,

That extra money might just be enough to get another player in to strengthen the squad,

If you all said we will not attend the game against the under 23 team but attend the other two games that would put your point across a lot better than boycotting all the games,

Then the club could see the difference in the attendances and maybe think that cost warrants us to try and convince other teams to speak out against the inclusion of under 23 teams,

So we might get 5,000 + gates against Donny and Scunny and 500 against the youth team,

That would send a lot better message to the powers that be.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 42
RichMariner
August 25, 2017, 3:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I understand your point but the Internet Mariners and anyone else who has been involved in organising this boycott match have been encouraging fans to spend the ticket money in the club shop instead, therefore we're not denying GTFC the money they'd ordinarily get on the turnstiles.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
headingly_mariner
August 25, 2017, 4:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from grimsby pete

I understand why most are boycotting the trophy games but I do not like that is costing the club extra money,

That extra money might just be enough to get another player in to strengthen the squad,

If you all said we will not attend the game against the under 23 team but attend the other two games that would put your point across a lot better than boycotting all the games,

Then the club could see the difference in the attendances and maybe think that cost warrants us to try and convince other teams to speak out against the inclusion of under 23 teams,

So we might get 5,000 + gates against Donny and Scunny and 500 against the youth team,

Don't you think that those who make the decisions should cover the loss of revenue? I'd be happy to spend extra money at the club if they hadn't ignored fans and voted for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
Mariner Ronnie
August 25, 2017, 4:21pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
I've lost all respect for cod almighty since they liked a pro communist tweet on twitter.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
MuddyWaters
August 25, 2017, 4:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from grimsby pete

But nobody gains from this competition other than the clubs with U23s. Most fans spend enough following the Mariners without wasting their money watching Saturdays subs plus the Youth.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
biggles9999
August 25, 2017, 4:53pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Saw a comment above about sales. We are at around 60 ticket sales, although we are fully expecting a lot more to just turn up on the night.

In terms of donations and ticket sales combined we are closing in on reaching £1000 raised, before expenses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
Bigdog
August 25, 2017, 7:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from grimsby pete

I'm not sure anyone hates JF, I think most fans have come to the conclusion that he's not that good at certain things and supporting our club under his long tenure is becoming very stale, very quickly.

In theory you could be spot on with your sentiment Pete, but Harvey and the FA would use the gates against Donny and Scunny to justify the competition's existence and sweep the 500 U23 gate under the carpet.

We saw it last season. Trying to get as much publicity as possible out of the 70,000 gate for the final at Wembley, (thanks Oxford and Coventry fans), yet covering up virtually every club recording their lowest ever attendance figures.

They'll massage any data they can and we'd just be helping them to reach their desired goal.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
ginnywings
August 25, 2017, 8:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Do the club actually lose money from this competition? It was never very well attended anyway, which is why this new format was sneaked in and the money they are throwing into the pot as a sweetener must cover most, if not all the shortfall in attendance?

I have no qualms about boycotting and don't feel at all obliged to spend extra money elsewhere to salve my conscience. It was the club's decision to enter into it and after last season, they knew the crowds would be down but voted for it again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
biggles9999
August 25, 2017, 8:29pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
In its present guise, the club are making a profit - even with the boycott.

Which is part of the reason why many are so keen to vote for something that could have major implications long term.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
Mariner Ronnie
August 30, 2017, 4:01pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
I've lost all respect for cod almighty since they liked a pro communist tweet on twitter.

Bait taken.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We don't listen

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.