12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
July 15, 2017, 7:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235
I'm still trying to work out this anti- Berrett thing. I didn't go today but talking to someone who did, they said that Berrett and Kamal looked pretty good against a Championship midfield. Surely that bodes well for League 2 doesn't it if Berrett is our 'third or fourth choice'?
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 117
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 15, 2017, 7:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Just watched the highlights and it looked a good show. Barnsley didn't play well but they were not allowed to.

One or two things occurred to me - one was that the side wasn't weakened by the subs which is the sign of a decent quality squad. The trialists seemed to fit in easily enough to show what they can do which is the sign of the plans being simple and no overcomplicated tactics.

Another thing - we seem to be getting out of that bad habit of chopping people down on the edge of the box. A few times Barnsley got to good positions but we closed them down without diving in. Hope that is a deliberate change and we can keep to it.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 117
headingly_mariner
July 15, 2017, 8:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I'm still trying to work out this anti- Berrett thing. I didn't go today but talking to someone who did, they said that Berrett and Kamal looked pretty good against a Championship midfield. Surely that bodes well for League 2 doesn't it if Berrett is our 'third or fourth choice'?

I'd agree with this, he's been involved as much as anyone in pre season and was involved under slade at the end of the season. It looks like he is going to be involved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 117
Maringer
July 15, 2017, 10:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Not anti-Berret as such. I just don't think he's nearly good enough. He's got an OK touch but is lacking pace, weak in the challenge and he rarely offers anything in a game. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've seen him have better than a below average game.

I'd love to be proven wrong but, on last season's evidence, not going to happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 117
The Yard Dog
July 15, 2017, 10:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Maringer
[/b]If I was a Barnsley fan I'd be worried about the coming season based on that performance. On top but not wholly dominant against a central midfield of a triallist and Berrett, who is surely our third or fourth choice in that position? Can't bode well for them. Their forward line for the first hour was lacking in strength and the later players didn't add much to the team. [b]

As for the triallists/new signings, Dixon looked solid to me so it doesn't surprise me that we're interested. Not as good as Andrew, probably, but hopefully still up to the job.

KAEH looked OK to me but we do have so many central midfielders on the books that I can't see us signing him. He is a good bit taller than our other midfielders so that is one extra thing on his side. Incidentally, the rumour I heard was that Clements is on his way, possibly to Crewe, as Slade doesn't rate him. I think he's done quite well but then I'm not the manager.

Cardwell showed a few good touches in his short time on the pitch (excellent flick header which led to the goal) and is certainly worth another look. A much bigger unit than any of our other attackers which gives us another option.

Robinson got stuck in and looks strong considering he's far from the biggest. Won lots of free-kicks which indicates he was causing defenders some real problems. This, despite the fact that I always shudder when I hear a player can play either out wide or up front - too many memories of Junior Mendes!

Do we have the budget to sign both of these players or do we need them both? Not sure, I have to say.

Dembele looks good prospect so I hope he can deal with the physicality of a more intense, competitive game, given his slight physique. Good to see him so delighted to score, despite the fact that the game was only a friendly.

Clarke looked OK but for his misjudgement with their goal. Do wonder if we'll struggle to deal with big, physical strikers, however, as he's smaller than Collins who isn't the biggest himself. Hopefully their experience will mean we can deal with pacy players well enough.

All in all, a decent performance and good result in a relatively low-key game. My main concerns were that Kelly was rather anonymous and Jones put in a bit of a half-arsed performance, albeit against a higher-division team.

I was speaking with a Barnsley fan down the seafront this morning, he said that they have lost all their best players and this season, will have to start with the younger players. He said that he would not be surprised if they went down this season and that it was impossible to hold to their star player (forget who he said) has he wanted £27k a week.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 117
Hertsmariner
July 15, 2017, 10:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
Quite enjoyed that-and I thought all the trialists did well.
Whilst Al-Haj's hairdo draws the eye anyway, I thought he protected the back four pretty well, and not least because of his good eye for the first time pass to relieve the pressure, plus that fantastic dinked pass to set up Jones for the one-on-one, which he duly fluffed! That was the pass of the match for me! Yes, he did get caught in possession once or twice in tight situations, even though not in dangerous areas. One or two fouls close to the 18 yard line would probably have picked up a booking in a league game but some of the Barnsley players were mighty quick to get away at times and needed to be stopped-one way or another!. (It's called 'taking one for the team' I suppose).
Thought Dixon also did well-another Mr Reliable-and generally blocked the supply line from the right. Also got down the line in overlap mode a few times. He can also enact a decent throw-in! Pleased to hear RS seems willing to offer him a contract.
Whilst both Robinson and Cardwell only made brief appearances, I thought both looked very useful. Cardwell had the edge over Vernon for me, posing more of a physical threat, though I suppose Vernon was more isolated in that first half. I also thought Robinson was tenacious, held his balance and possession well against some pretty determined challenges, and worked well alongside Yussuf.

But no review would be complete without a mention of 'Streaky' Dembele-what a talent he is! He seemed to be everywhere that mattered. There are no lost causes for him-a real joy to watch! I just hope he can survive the 'cloggers' he'll come up against in L2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 117
Chips44
July 16, 2017, 1:11am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +127
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 117
sam gy
July 16, 2017, 1:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from MuddyWaters

His name seemed to be getting mentioned more than anyone else's by the commentary in the first half. He could get 3 assists and a hattrick and people would still moan about him. But he was written off before he'd even kicked a ball for us, along with Summerfield.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 117
MuddyWaters
July 16, 2017, 7:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from sam gy

His name seemed to be getting mentioned more than anyone else's by the commentary in the first half. He could get 3 assists and a hattrick and people would still moan about him. But he was written off before he'd even kicked a ball for us, along with Summerfield.

I think he was in danger of becoming another central midfielder played wide, like Paddy Mclaughlin, who also clearly isn't a winger.
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 117
Davec
July 16, 2017, 8:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,442
Gold Stars: 42
I've seen people mention that we can't sign both Cardwell and Robinson and it can only be one or the other, why can't it be both? If Slade thinks it's worth offering them both deals then why can't he? Yes we'll have a few strikers but what's to say somebody like Yussuf won't depart? I know he looks a different player this pre season so maybe he's putting himself in the shop window.

Even if Yussuf doesn't depart and we sign Robinson and Cardwell, that would leave
Jones
Vernon
Asante
Yussuf
Cardwell
Robinson
Rose (possibly)

That is 6 or 7 strikers, remember Asante is unfortunately injury prone, Jones isn't even a striker and Robinson can play on the wing like he did in Holland and Yussuf could still depart, but even if he doesn't, we're going to get injuries and suspensions on top of Jones and Robinson possibly not playing up front and remember we can only sign players in January after the summer transfer window, unless we sign a free agent, so I think I would rather be safe than sorry as anything can happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 117
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town vs Barnsley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.