Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dyson
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 317 Guests

Dyson

This thread currently has 8,186 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
June 30, 2017, 9:00pm
Guest User
Calum Dyson out of contract after today, I'd like to see him back at Blundell Park. For a 20 year old he didn't look out of his depth at this level and had a few good games.
grimsby pete
June 30, 2017, 9:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
If he has not been given a new contract by Everton we should sign him before another L2 club does,

If that happens he is bound to score against us,

By all accounts he did ok with us last season and he will only get stronger and better at his age.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 38
chaos33
June 30, 2017, 9:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Been thinking about this for a bit. IMO he is definitely worth signing. I thought he did really well last season.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 38
Hagrid
June 30, 2017, 9:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 534
Might be in a minority but i didnt rate him. I think we can do better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 38
June 30, 2017, 9:15pm
Guest User
Did he do enough? Did he score enough goals? Not for me.
His future isn't at Everton, that is for sure.
Reply: 4 - 38
chaos33
June 30, 2017, 9:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 75
Did he do enough? Did he score enough goals? Not for me.
His future isn't at Everton, that is for sure.

Well he looked about 10 times more likely to score than Vernon, but yep - clearly not good enough. We should be aiming higher than Premiership under 23 top scorers.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 38
acko338
June 30, 2017, 9:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
Some fitness and strength training could act as a catalyst as he proved he can find the back of the net at this level. Soild enough to stand up and take pens as well. Could be a rough diamond at this level. Worth a chance !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 38
Superdan147
June 30, 2017, 9:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
He's under contract at Everton for another year. They excerpted option last week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 38
Mariner93er
June 30, 2017, 9:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Even if he's still under contract, another loan move for him wouldn't be the worst thing. There's certainly a player in there, and he showed glimpses of real class, but just as importantly, he always ran himself into the ground. I actually think it was that kind of work ethic which helped Jones bag a few goals in the second half of the season, and they could certainly strike up a partnership again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 38
Mariner_09
June 30, 2017, 9:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Produced the odd moment of brilliance and could take a good pen but wasn't a good enough finisher to be a poacher, not strong enough or good enough in the air to be a target man and not quick enough to be a Vardy style striker. Not for me for a whole season, need better.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 38
chaos33
June 30, 2017, 9:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09
Produced the odd moment of brilliance and could take a good pen but wasn't a good enough finisher to be a poacher, not strong enough or good enough in the air to be a target man and not quick enough to be a Vardy style striker. Not for me for a whole season, need better.

Well you're the expert. Reminder - we are in league 2.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
MuddyWaters
June 30, 2017, 9:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Mariner_09

Well, as you thought Danny Andrew was shite, we should offer Dyson a 5 year deal.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
Mariner_09
June 30, 2017, 9:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I never said Andrew was shite per se, just shite defensively when he first arrived. Great going forward but was a liability defensively. He improved with game time.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
TownSNAFU5
June 30, 2017, 10:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
He can only get better.  He gives 100 per cent, has a good attitude, and has shown that he can score goals.  And he is consistent with penalties.  Remember that excellent goal he scored in front of the Pontoon?  When he cut in from the right wing and hit a great low shot.

I understand any reservations about his scoring record.  However, he is still worth a second season with us.  Even Ronaldo had to start somewhere.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
Abdul19
June 30, 2017, 10:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from chaos33

Well he looked about 10 times more likely to score than Vernon, but yep - clearly not good enough. We should be aiming higher than Premiership under 23 top scorers.

And yet in the time Dyson was at the club Vernon netted twice as many goals in open play as he did!

But yeah I do agree he had something about him though, definitely got better as his spell progressed.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
HertsGTFC
June 30, 2017, 11:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
I'd take him with Podge "tutor and pupil"!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
louth_in_the_south
July 1, 2017, 2:31am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,675
Gold Stars: 95
Dysons the classic example of how the influx of foreign players into the prem has set back the development of British players . He's got something about him but because he's been stuck in u23 football he hasn't had the experience of playing against solid pro opponents . Last season was a big learning curve for him I'd guess and with another season at town , building himself up a bit , he could be a good addition to the squad .

Got a feeling slade won't be interested though .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
July 1, 2017, 6:56am
Guest User
Quoted from Superdan147
He's under contract at Everton for another year. They excerpted option last week

All that's wrong with football IMO. Why would Everton do that?
I will eat my head if he is ever given an opportunity in Everton's first team.

Reply: 17 - 38
golfer
July 1, 2017, 9:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mariner_09

I agree-he will get better with game time but I don't think that we are in a position to meet the guarantees that Everton will need to allow us a year long loan. They will want us to play him a certain number of games or else it would not be beneficial to him or them. They were most likely paying his wages or at least some of them when he was here so would definitely want guaranteed playing time like last year. By the time he improves we will have no hold on him . If he improves sufficiently he could be recalled like Henderson was and then we would be in the shite.All these loan players are good short term.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
Abdul19
July 1, 2017, 9:20am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from 75

All that's wrong with football IMO. Why would Everton do that?
I will eat my head if he is ever given an opportunity in Everton's first team.

To be fair to Koeman he gives plenty of young players a chance. That said, I can't see Dyson getting anywhere near that level in the next 12 months!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
Mariner Ronnie
July 1, 2017, 9:22am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
I'd have him here in a heartbeat

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
GtfcGarner
July 1, 2017, 9:28am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,786
Gold Stars: 26
He's alright but not a game changer. If your looking at our current striking options: Asante, Vernon, Yussuf and possibly Jones. I think our first choice/choices would be Asante or Jones, do I think Dyson is better than them two? No I don't and believe that Russ has his sights set higher, hope the lad gets a good loan though as run his socks off whilst he was here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
ex-merseymariner
July 1, 2017, 9:36am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Abdul19

To be fair to Koeman he gives plenty of young players a chance. That said, I can't see Dyson getting anywhere near that level in the next 12 months!

Agreed.   I was disappointed that when Dyson went back to Everton at the end of our season, and they sent half a dozen youngsters to Korea for the under 20 tournament, that Koeman put Kone on the bench ahead of Dyson for the last few games.     But what we don't know is whether Everton will want him to play as high as possible for the full season, or want to move him around a few times this season. Also whether they may want him closer to home; one of their other u23s was at Morecambe last season, but others were at Oxford, Motherwell etc....

I'd have him back here but suspect Slade wants a new #1 striker, then a pecking order of Jones, Vernon, Asante, when fit, Yussuf.  
So Dyson is a reserve option perhaps; e.g. any further injuries.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
July 1, 2017, 10:12am
Guest User
Quoted from Abdul19

Agreed, that's my point mate. He should be allowed to move on to a club where he can gain experience and find his level. He's got something, but I don't see him ever getting game time at Everton.
Reply: 23 - 38
Garth
July 1, 2017, 10:22am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
I like Dyson but if he came back he would do so on the understanding that he would have to play most games.
I would not think Slade will want to be tied down as such and has possibly got a another player in mind ready to sign.
We have got some  decent players in that position anyway but need a proven marquee signing rather than a promising loan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
July 1, 2017, 10:30am
Guest User
We need to look to the mid and long term, as well as the short term. This means bringing in our own players, preferably at an age where they can contribute immediately, yet also improve and maybe bring in a fee in the future. Unless the loanee was a bit special for league 2 I say we bring our own contracted players in.

Massive thing for me is extending contracts at Christmas time for players who are excelling. We have lost our last three player of the years on Bosmans because of our ludicrous retention policy IMO.

Sorry, I digress but it winds me up.
Reply: 25 - 38
Hertsmariner
July 1, 2017, 10:31am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
I seem to remember, at the end of the season, RS saying he would speak to Joe Royle about Everton's plans for him. I doubt very much that Dyson would find a League 1 club at this stage of his development, so League 2 would probably be his limit at present. Perhaps RS is trying to persuade Forest to let us have Tyler Walker as his first preference, but would come back for Dyson should Walker go elsewhere (Port Vale for example). But who knows really?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 1, 2017, 10:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The problem with Dyson is that he's not Bogle.

He is not an instant answer to anyone's prayers as a striker. He will be a decent player though if he gets game time against men and some good coaching. He's mobile, fit and he will get stronger. He will never be a poacher in the box but he has a bit of pace and some ability to bring others into the game. The question would be how much he is worth on the wage bill relative to what he can offer the squad.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
headingly_mariner
July 1, 2017, 12:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
He's a big lad, but he's a little lightweight. Couple of bits of quality, but at the moment I'd say he's below the standard. He may well turn into a player though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
Swansea_Mariner
July 1, 2017, 1:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
The only relevant question for me is would he contribute enough in all round play and goals to get us in the play offs?

Sadly I don't think he would. As others have said he does have something about him but looks quite a bit away from leading the line for a promotion chasing side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
Maringer
July 1, 2017, 1:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
The only relevant question for me is would he contribute enough in all round play and goals to get us in the play offs?

Sadly I don't think he would. As others have said he does have something about him but looks quite a bit away from leading the line for a promotion chasing side.

I think you're right about Dyson at present. I don't doubt he's got the potential to develop into a decent Championship-level striker in the future, but he's a distance from that as yet. He competed quite well last season but, quite understandably, wasn't able to match up to the physical side of things against older, stronger and more experienced defenders. He'll obviously get stronger as he gets older, but will he be ready for this coming season? Not so sure.

If he was to sign for us again, I'd expect to see a bit more from him than last season (when he did well at times), but not convinced he'll have enough to help us become a promotion-chasing side.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
Mrs Doyle
July 1, 2017, 8:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
I think he was improving and relished playing here would love to see him back here he's young strong in the air and can hold the ball up. Strikers good ones are not easy to come by.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
ginnywings
July 1, 2017, 11:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Can't believe some of the comments on this thread. He's an inexperienced 20 year old and some are picking his game to pieces. I think he has a good future in the game from what i saw.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
Mendonca1995
July 2, 2017, 7:56am
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
He does have potential like the solo goal for example against Mansfield when most fans were wan*ing over it !!! but as others have said he does have a few things he needs to work on ie his hold Up play for one the first few games the ball was bouncing straight off him also looked a bit lethargic etc he then seemed to grow with the more game time he got but people need To realise the kid is 20 years old he is going to improve once he has experienced the different levels is he good enough for Everton not for me but maybe the next few years could see him hit the top end of league 1 maybe the championship we will see but at least give the lad a chance before writing him off at this level UTM 🐟

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
Garth
July 2, 2017, 10:36am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Nobody's writing him off, just saying he would not suit us at the moment if we are serious about promotion, if we are talking about giving youngsters game time we need to look in house at our own
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
Grantham_Mariner
July 2, 2017, 12:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
Not the finished article but if we could get him on the right wage on a two year deal I can see him as a impact sub this season and possibly a starter next.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
MuddyWaters
July 2, 2017, 4:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
I'd have him back. To expect to find an instant replacement for Omar was unrealistic. I think he and Sam Jones did pretty well in spite of a lack of League experience and I would suspect that both will kick on this year wherever Dyson plays.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
jonnyboy82
July 2, 2017, 5:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Might get shot down but not for me , can and must do better if we want to be at the top end of the table .

I mean that's why fenty sacked bignot isn't it ? As he wanted to improve the whole thing going forward.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
HertsGTFC
July 2, 2017, 6:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
What The Old Codger said....

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dyson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.