7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
February 18, 2017, 5:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,274
Gold Stars: 266
Strangely quiet on here tonight after such a convincing win, lot of posters who were very active last week are as usual noticeable by their absence.
So thought we could have a special thread where we can all say well done to the players and Bignot, especially as we are only 3 points off the play offs. Won't hold my breat waiting for the Gang of Four to post
Anyway well done town, especially putting one over that fat Scottish twit
Logged Offline
Private Message
buckstown
February 18, 2017, 6:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,234
Gold Stars: 79
Well done boys and MB. I forecast 3-0 but the other way round!! I'm 63 and before I snuff it I'm hoping to work out how this game works. I understood form was quite important and you're not supposed to get stuffed by teams on appalling runs and then beat a team unbeaten in 8. Can anybody help?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 69
RoboCod
February 18, 2017, 6:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Biggie apologised for the disaster last week and promised better for this. True to his word, and that 0-0 against Newport (who only lost to a dodgy injury time pen today) did act as a kind of springboard, a confdence filler that certainly helped them today.
Well done Town, and the Management. A poor defeat, a decent draw and a great win all in a week. Keep the goals coming and we'll be there or thereabouts for the playoffs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 69
Balthazar Bullitt
February 18, 2017, 6:09pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
They're  all out fighting the Mansfield inter city crew whilst lamenting the fact we didn't appoint "the rotund one".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 69
Freemoash88
February 18, 2017, 6:19pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from forza ivano
Strangely quiet on here tonight after such a convincing win, lot of posters who were very active last week are as usual noticeable by their absence.
So thought we could have a special thread where we can all say well done to the players and Bignot, especially as we are only 3 points off the play offs. Won't hold my breat waiting for the Gang of Four to post

here here. Great performance its those type of games we usually loose when an opposing team brings a big crowed to BP. Well done MB.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 69
Gaffer58
February 18, 2017, 6:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Congratulations to everyone at the club today, after last Saturday as Jimmy Greaves use to say, "it's a funny old game"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 69
Gaffer58
February 18, 2017, 6:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Congratulations to everyone at the club today, after last Saturday as Jimmy Greaves use to say, "it's a funny old game"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 69
promotion plaice
February 18, 2017, 6:23pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,087
Gold Stars: 200

I put 3-0 down in the prediction thread.............. to Mansfield ( shows what I know )

Well done all today........UTM

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 69
jonnyboy82
February 18, 2017, 6:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Well done boys...Great result.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 69
Zmariner
February 18, 2017, 6:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Great show from front to back for me. Only 3 pointsbut it was only three points lost last week lessons to be learned. I think we have potential and I am absolutely delighted for the team and management.  Although I am a season ticket holder I miss the mid week games and so for me this was easily the best home performance of the season. I really do believe that this team has some potential and just needs a couple of additions in the right places but at least in the close season we will not be Starting again.
Absolutely great day for the mariners pride instilled and I think that it is a measure of a team when they bounceback
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 69
MuddyWaters
February 18, 2017, 6:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Well done boys...Great result.

Any thoughts on retracting some of the knee-jerk cr@p that you've been posting all week?
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 69
grimsby pete
February 18, 2017, 6:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,828
Gold Stars: 222
Yes well done to Marcus and all the players.

I predicted a 4 - 2 win so 3 - 0  is even better,

I was watching final score and the goals going in when I thought who would take a pen if we got one with  Omar no longer  with us,

Then up it popped  Town 3  0  Dyson pen    

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 69
lew chaterleys lover
February 18, 2017, 6:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from forza ivano

Oh sod off. Last week was rubbish - hence the criticism. This week was much better and gives us a lot of hope, but if anybody could see it before todays performance I dont believe them, unless it was based on blind optimism.

I report on what I see. At the time. Not with a crystal ball, not criticism for the sake of it but as I see things as I see it, otherwise we might as all well post after the seasons ended. Even Bignot had to apologise after last weeks non show. If he can see it, why can't you accept people have every right to voice their concerns?

We all support the team by paying for season tickets and giving a lifetime's loyalty to the club, and we will obviously voice concerns when things are not going according to plan.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 69
MuddyWaters
February 18, 2017, 7:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Oh sod off. Last week was rubbish - hence the criticism. This week was much better and gives us a lot of hope, but if anybody could see it before todays performance I dont believe them, unless it was based on blind optimism.

I report on what I see. At the time. Not with a crystal ball, not criticism for the sake of it but as I see things as I see it, otherwise we might as all well post after the seasons ended. Even Bignot had to apologise after last weeks non show. If he can see it, why can't you accept people have every right to voice their concerns?

We all support the team by paying for season tickets and giving a lifetime's loyalty to the club, and we will obviously voice concerns when thins are not going according to plan.

Last week was rubbish - yes. Every team in every league has an off day but some of the reaction on here was near on pathetic last week, when a club signs a shed load of players mid-season then there's going to be games when they don't gel. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone from last week but when one player gets caught out for three goals, he deserves to be dropped - he was and we've kept two clean sheets since.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 69
newarkmariner
February 18, 2017, 7:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
Awesome today from back to front,Osbourne is a class above,im also waiting for the MB out of his depth  brigade because there silence is deafening
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 69
lew chaterleys lover
February 18, 2017, 7:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Last week was rubbish - yes. Every team in every league has an off day but some of the reaction on here was near on pathetic last week, when a club signs a shed load of players mid-season then there's going to be games when they don't gel. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone from last week but when one player gets caught out for three goals, he deserves to be dropped - he was and we've kept two clean sheets since.

I accept that of course I do, but there should not be a witch hunt on any forum were somebody posts what they see as the truth at the time. I hope I never have to post anything negative again for the remainder of my days but it is not going to happen, as there will be ups and downs. I have posted 100's of supportive posts even after a defeat if I thought we were going in the right direction under various managers, but I admit to being very dubious of the new manager and his ability to take us forward. If I turn out to be wrong, nobody will be more pleased than I, but this is a forum for goodness sake, not a fan club.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 69
Skrill
February 18, 2017, 7:12pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
We're good at breaking teams with great form. Only Exeter we're the ones that got away. Plymouth, Carlisle, and now a Mansfield nine match un-beaten run smashed by town. Congrats to Bignot and the players, the aim now is for some consistency!

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 69
MuddyWaters
February 18, 2017, 7:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I accept that of course I do, but there should not be a witch hunt on any forum were somebody posts what they see as the truth at the time. I hope I never have to post anything negative again for the remainder of my days but it is not going to happen, as there will be ups and downs. I have posted 100's of supportive posts even after a defeat if I thought we were going in the right direction under various managers, but I admit to being very dubious of the new manager and his ability to take us forward. If I turn out to be wrong, nobody will be more pleased than I, but this is a forum for goodness sake, not a fan club.

I'm not singling you out at all. Last week, in my mind, was a cacophony of cra@p that sounded like the mighty GTFC could not and should not ever lose a game of football 5-0.

Of course it hurts, and anyone who went deserved to be pi$$ed off but calling for the manager's head a few weeks after he'd rebuilt his squad was way over the top. As some have pointed out, it's a year since the Halifax shambles and we have come a long way since then and sometimes posters on here have very selective memories.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 69
Grim74
February 18, 2017, 7:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Well done boys very good result against an inform team.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 69
Grimal
February 18, 2017, 7:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9

We all support the team by paying for season tickets and giving a lifetime's loyalty to the club, and we will obviously voice concerns when things are not going according to plan.

Tuesday night was a massive improvement to the Crewe Fiasco and was unlucky to come away with just a draw after completely outplaying a much improved Newport team. I said to a mate before kickoff, if we play like we did at Newport we should take something from todays game,didn't expect to outplay Mansfield all over the park as we did today. Great result and 3 important points, well done lads and management.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 69
Hagrid
February 18, 2017, 7:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Well done UTM , looking forward to the reserve game on tuesday
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 69
lee65
February 18, 2017, 7:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Really enjoyed the game today, first half, if Mansfield had finished better it could've been different but as it was their attack looked powder puff

I'm sure there'll be many ups and downs as we move towards the end of the season, but many positives today.

Osborne again
Sam Jones looks like a real find
Great goal for Dyson, pleased for him (he wins a lot in defence at set pieces too)

No bad performances, and even a Pantomime villain thrown in  

Well done all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 69
buckstown
February 18, 2017, 7:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,234
Gold Stars: 79
I'm not an MB out man, but I have questioned the performances at Stevenage and Crewe where we were beyond crap.
On a public forum I don't think we should be calling anyone out because they were dissatisfied at those performances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 69
February 18, 2017, 7:50pm
Guest User
I've enjoyed nearly all the matches I've watched and listened to on RH, last week the exception.
Hey, we're in the football league again where the proud Mariners should be.
I am convinced we will be in the Play offs.
Great game today, lots going on. Town edged the first half and deserved to be 1-0 at halftime.
Mansfield are not a poor side, played the ball forward quickly but not big boot.
Town seemed to have a plan, knock the ball beyond their central pair either on the ground or in the air.
before we scored second I thought it was getting a bit end to end and next goal would dictate the result.
Once Town got that goal the confidence followed.
Tom Bolarinwa was my man of the match.
Well done UTM
Reply: 23 - 69
MuddyWaters
February 18, 2017, 7:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from buckstown
I'm not an MB out man, but I have questioned the performances at Stevenage and Crewe where we were beyond crap.
On a public forum I don't think we should be calling anyone out because they were dissatisfied at those performances.

I'm not saying anyone should be satisfied. I'm asking fans to put into context the difficulty of bedding a new team in in the middle of a season, understanding why the manager has chosen to do it and remember just how far we've come in 12 months. We've got no divine right to win a football match but today showed what this squad of players can achieve, particularly if we get behind them.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 69
Cloudy
February 18, 2017, 8:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
A great win, no doubt.
A great performance? No, not for me. Yes we played ok but some of the reaction is over the top IMO

Mansfield were toothless and shocking defensively, we had a few players who performed very well but we are not the finished article
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 69
I Hate Chris Hollins
February 18, 2017, 8:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +29
Gold Stars: 5
Cloudy by name. Tw@t by nature.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 69
lew chaterleys lover
February 18, 2017, 8:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Grimal

Tuesday night was a massive improvement to the Crewe Fiasco and was unlucky to come away with just a draw after completely outplaying a much improved Newport team. I said to a mate before kickoff, if we play like we did at Newport we should take something from todays game,didn't expect to outplay Mansfield all over the park as we did today. Great result and 3 important points, well done lads and management.

I didn't go to Newport but all credit to those that did.

The radio commentary intimated it was a poor game, not helped by the pitch but my comments have been based on all the games that I have seen.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 69
Cloudy
February 18, 2017, 8:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Cloudy by name. Tw@t by nature.

Not acceptable!
I posted it was a great win and that I do not think we are the finished article, I don't think MB thinks so either.
Either way your abuse is unwarranted despite you maybe think differently
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 69
I Hate Chris Hollins
February 18, 2017, 8:42pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +29
Gold Stars: 5
Get behind your team apropos Rob Scott
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 69
Grimal
February 18, 2017, 8:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Cloudy
A great win, no doubt.
A great performance? No, not for me. Yes we played ok but some of the reaction is over the top IMO

Mansfield were toothless and shocking defensively, we had a few players who performed very well but we are not the finished article

And don't you think it could have been the great performance from our lads, is the reason Mansfield were made to look toothless and shocking defensively ? come on give our team some credit.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 69
GYinScuntland
February 18, 2017, 8:52pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Enjoyed that, decent game, good partisan crowd on both sides with a bit of edge.
So different from Crewe and Newport where I thought we could be there all day or night without scoring.
Usually enjoy the away days more but after today feeling glad I got my half seaso. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 69
Cloudy
February 18, 2017, 8:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Grimal

And don't you think it could have been the great performance from our lads, is the reason Mansfield were made to look toothless and shocking defensively ? come on give our team some credit.

I said it was a great result, it was. Just think there us much more to come. You may think that is the pinnacle, I don't, we can do much better.

I guess it is about standards, pushing and pushing for perfection. It won't come overnight I accept thst
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 69
forza ivano
February 18, 2017, 9:26pm

Exile

Nobody's saying that a team shouldn't get criticism after a 5-0 defeat but there were idiots saying Bignot needed to be sacked, he's out of his depth, he hasn't a got a clue or a plan etc. It was way over the top and mainly came from the usual sources, who are unfailingly negative nut never post when we play well. My other point is that the fishy goes into meltdown after a defeat but is strangely quiet when we win and or play well.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 69
jonnyboy82
February 18, 2017, 9:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Any thoughts on retracting some of the knee-jerk cr@p that you've been posting all week?

You mean my knee-jerk cr@p after the 5-0 hammering we took at Crewe.

No.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 69
lew chaterleys lover
February 18, 2017, 9:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Nobody's saying that a team shouldn't get criticism after a 5-0 defeat but there were idiots saying Bignot needed to be sacked, he's out of his depth, he hasn't a got a clue or a plan etc. It was way over the top and mainly came from the usual sources, who are unfailingly negative nut never post when we play well. My other point is that the fishy goes into meltdown after a defeat but is strangely quiet when we win and or play well.

Thats life isn't it? Some people err on the negative, some are downright negative, some a little positive and some are happy clappers were nothing can ever be questioned. I don't want a forum ever to be dull because we all feel we have to follow protocol. I just post when I need to get something off my chest, or am particularly interested in a particular thread. I am not at all interested in a group think of positive posts when weve won or played well.

People who know me will say I err on the negative, and that will be reflected in my posting history but thats how I like it. Other posters balance it out which means the forum is a more interesting read.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 69
HertsGTFC
February 18, 2017, 9:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Better today.......

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 69
Garth
February 18, 2017, 9:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
I thought tactically MB won the day over Evans with not a little help from the players, defence should remain as it is for a few games now with two clean sheets after the Crew fiasco.
Tom deserves his place in the team after his performance today, and the rest of the players were as described in other posts, well done all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 69
MuddyWaters
February 18, 2017, 9:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Thats life isn't it? Some people err on the negative, some are downright negative, some a little positive and some are happy clappers were nothing can ever be questioned. I don't want a forum ever to be dull because we all feel we have to follow protocol. I just post when I need to get something off my chest, or am particularly interested in a particular thread. I am not at all interested in a group think of positive posts when weve won or played well.

People who know me will say I err on the negative, and that will be reflected in my posting history but thats how I like it. Other posters balance it out which means the forum is a more interesting read.

I don't believe criticism is necessarily negative if there's reason and it's constructive but 'sack clueless Bignot' 2 weeks after he's put a new squad together is neither of the above.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 69
lew chaterleys lover
February 18, 2017, 10:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don't believe criticism is necessarily negative if there's reason and it's constructive but 'sack clueless Bignot' 2 weeks after he's put a new squad together is neither of the above.

As i said, you balance out their posts then, don't you?!  
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 69
MrsMariner
February 18, 2017, 10:32pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +449
Gold Stars: 1
It was a great result, the performance was certainly an improvement.
I was a bit worried for the first half hour as I felt they looked a lot quicker and stronger than us and wanted it more  but we held firm at the back and came through it and then pinched the lead with a goal that had more than a touch of good fortune about it.
Then in the second half thanks to Macca's great save we were able to go on and finish Mansfield off. I just hope we take the confidence from this win and can get a run of form going.
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 69
denni266
February 18, 2017, 10:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Sorry i am late posting. I noticed my stalker is missing me. Good result altho i didnt go as i am away sailing my boat for a week. And i kid you not.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 69
forza ivano
February 18, 2017, 10:45pm

Exile
Quoted from denni266
Sorry i am late posting. I noticed my stalker is missing me. Good result altho i didnt go as i am away sailing my boat for a week. And i kid you not.  

By god that must ve hurt. 'Good result' could hardly have been more begrudging. Still want mb to ' go home' ?  Ps perhaps you can go round the reservoir the other way tomorrow to try and make it more interesting
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 69
Cloudy
February 18, 2017, 10:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Don't give the couple of posters who were asking for Bignot to be sacked any credit nor confuse them with those who were critical of the performances recently.

Some 'hammer' any posters who offer criticism, it doesn't mean they want the manager sacked!
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 69
forza ivano
February 18, 2017, 11:00pm

Exile
Quoted from Cloudy
Don't give the couple of posters who were asking for Bignot to be sacked any credit nor confuse them with those who were critical of the performances recently.

Some 'hammer' any posters who offer criticism, it doesn't mean they want the manager sacked!

No confusion here, that's why I term them the Gang of Four. A 5-0 loss at lowly Crewe is always going to attract much rightful criticism. I was very critical myself after the Crawley defeat where I thought he went too gung Ho , on a day when we needed a Paul hurst type approach
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 69
MuddyWaters
February 18, 2017, 11:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from denni266

As I live locally, I might walk round Covenham Res tomorrow, do you want your ration pack dropping near the clubhouse? It should last long enough so you can come to the Colchester game.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 69
HertsGTFC
February 18, 2017, 11:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

What Cloudy said.............

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 69
ginnywings
February 18, 2017, 11:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
All i will say is that for those questioning whether we needed to bring in so many new players, you try and tell me that the midfield today isn't a massive improvement on what we had pre MB. If the side i watched today doesn't have way more potential than the players they have replaced, then i've learned nothing in 50 years of playing and watching football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 69
HertsGTFC
February 18, 2017, 11:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
All i will say is that for those questioning whether we needed to bring in so many new players, you try and tell me that the midfield today isn't a massive improvement on what we had pre MB. If the side i watched today doesn't have way more potential than the players they have replaced, then i've learned nothing in 50 years of playing and watching football.

I don't disagree with this, what the big issue will be now is having an idea of what might happen next week, we could go to Morecombe and win 3 - 0 or equally get beat 3 - 0.............. It will be hard to gain some form of consistency but today for the first time in ages the mid field felt a bit more like a unit IMHO down to the players and the shape.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 69
lukeo
February 19, 2017, 8:14am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,398
Gold Stars: 149
Newport was a poor game and we did create a couple of decent chances whereas they didn't really.. But I wouldn't say we where by far the better team, although we looked like we could have played all week and not conceded.

New manager, new team mid-season and back in the football league, 4 very good points. Realistically 4 points in the next 3 games would he great, stay unbeaten would be phenomenal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 69
devs
February 19, 2017, 10:37am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
I don't mind fans expressing anger and constructive opinion over bad results but it's the fact it can become personal, abusive and just so ill thought out it is embarrassing
Read last week (and I quote) "Bignot has obviously lost the dressing room" - what utter bo*llocks!

It is why fans are fans and not people who run a business/organisation (unless you are an Italian owner of course) because we'd have 46 managers a season

Yesterday showed we are very comfortable in this league; we have a lot of promise with a young, inexperienced manager and team... I think I'm right that only two players yesterday had more than a one season's football league experience?? Collins and Clements?? Might be wrong??

If that is true then what that shows me is great promise, some astute signings (from a manager and staff who obviously know the game), a lmid/long-term view of GTFC's squad make up, and also the fact we will have a few scary/bad days due to lack of experience

No-one has a clue how this will all unfold but MB is my manager and he gets my 100% support through good times and bad

Angry, irrational posters...in future please take a breath before you write your pearls of wisdom
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 69
forza ivano
February 19, 2017, 8:50pm

Exile
Quoted from devs
I don't mind fans expressing anger and constructive opinion over bad results but it's the fact it can become personal, abusive and just so ill thought out it is embarrassing
Read last week (and I quote) "Bignot has obviously lost the dressing room" - what utter bo*llocks!

It is why fans are fans and not people who run a business/organisation (unless you are an Italian owner of course) because we'd have 46 managers a season

Yesterday showed we are very comfortable in this league; we have a lot of promise with a young, inexperienced manager and team... I think I'm right that only two players yesterday had more than a one season's football league experience?? Collins and Clements?? Might be wrong??

If that is true then what that shows me is great promise, some astute signings (from a manager and staff who obviously know the game), a lmid/long-term view of GTFC's squad make up, and also the fact we will have a few scary/bad days due to lack of experience

No-one has a clue how this will all unfold but MB is my manager and he gets my 100% support through good times and bad

Angry, irrational posters...in future please take a breath before you write your pearls of wisdom

This
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 69
Rick12
February 19, 2017, 10:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from forza ivano
The yo yo of the the fishy.Just hope Bignott doesnt read the fishy and get affected by some of the ludicrous comments on here following defeats.Feel 20 years ago must have been far easier being a footballer/manager when social media wasnt around!

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 69
HertsGTFC
February 19, 2017, 10:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
The yo yo of the the fishy.Just hope Bignott doesnt read the fishy and get affected by some of the ludicrous comments on here following defeats.Feel 20 years ago must have been far easier being a footballer/manager when social media wasnt around!

If you are bothered about what people think about you I would suggest that football manager is not the chosen career path to take.

I doubt he reads the Fishy TBH

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 69
Cloudy
February 20, 2017, 7:17am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Rick12

Can't people post if we lose then?

Fans who have travelled to Crawley, Stevenage and Crewe in recent weeks were well within their rights to complain, to be dissapointed, even worried were they not?

Personally I think it was correct to question Bignot when, For example, we had 4 forwards on the pitch at Stevenage towards the end and then put our 19 goal striker in what looked like a deep midfield role. It was madness and IMO deserved criticism.

I am sure everyone would be much happier after Saturday's fine win which showed some promise
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 69
Rick12
February 20, 2017, 8:44am
Vodka Drinker

Quoted from Cloudy

Can't people post if we lose then?

Fans who have travelled to Crawley, Stevenage and Crewe in recent weeks were well within their rights to complain, to be dissapointed, even worried were they not?

Personally I think it was correct to question Bignot when, For example, we had 4 forwards on the pitch at Stevenage towards the end and then put our 19 goal striker in what looked like a deep midfield role. It was madness and IMO deserved criticism.

I am sure everyone would be much happier after Saturday's fine win which showed some promise
Agree to a point but some comments Ive read have been beyond belief and quite frankly just litters the forum with garbage thus lowering the authenticity of the site

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 69
Mariner93er
February 20, 2017, 8:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
It's the fact certain people only engage on the forum when we lose too. Just sad quite frankly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 69
Cloudy
February 20, 2017, 8:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Rick12

Agree to a point but some comments Ive read have been beyond belief and quite frankly just litters the forum with garbage thus lowering the authenticity of the site

Think it may be best to ignore the 10% that are outrageously critical/vicious and the 10% who are gushingly praiseworthy even after a hammering . Just focus on the 80% who are reasonable even if you differ from their opinion
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 69
chaos33
February 20, 2017, 9:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,981
Gold Stars: 361
But it's a very small handful of cranks who can be dismissed or ignored. There's overreaction to results bad and good and overstatement by many, and then issues like this just become overexposed and overplayed.

Most people just give it a swerve and keep a sense of balance and perspective and then involve themselves in discussions with others who do the same. Criticism, excitement, concern, confusion - all part of the mix. Bit of calm balance in short supply from a few (usual suspects) and many more who respond to that, and use words like 'brigade'.

To be honest, overreaction and overstatement are so prevalent in social media and society in general that it's probably no surprise to see it rife here

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 69
A Brace Of Tees
February 20, 2017, 9:12am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from forza ivano

It's true that there was some very irrational criticism after some of the recent hopeless performances, but don't ignore the fact that there was also rational criticism. The two should never be confused.

On Saturday it definitely improved after the first stuttering half hour, and when we scored against the run of play you could see the confidence lift it gave the players. We then started to boss the midfield (how I've longed to be able to say that this season!) and we kept a very solid shape throughout the rest of the match. But we shouldn't get too carried away by this until we see a definite pattern emerge in Town's play over the next few weeks.

I agree there needs to be a balanced view after poor results; equally there needs to be a balanced view after good ones.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 69
Civvy at last
February 20, 2017, 9:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,206
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from Rick12

If only us mare mortals where as wise and wonderful as you Rick.

It's a football forum. And just like sitting in the stands there will be widely differing opinions. Some are extreme no doubt, and some are just for bites I'm sure.  But at least you can ignore posts on a forum.  

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 69
Rick12
February 20, 2017, 9:55am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Civvy at last

It's a football forum. And just like sitting in the stands there will be widely differing opinions. Some are extreme no doubt, and some are just for bites I'm sure.  But at least you can ignore posts on a forum.  

Yes your right its just I love the club and hate to see some posts which have lowered the manager in the short time he has been here.For the record I like him and appreciate the hard work he is trying to do here.Yes if he does well in the long term he will move if a bigger club comes knocking with excellent money prospects but he still shows a passion to the cause which I like a lot (more so than Hurst I feel).

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 69
February 20, 2017, 10:06am
Guest User
Excellent performance, well done Town!
Reply: 62 - 69
Caveman
February 20, 2017, 10:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
Inside 45 minutes ( the second half ) I haven't seen us win as many
fifty-fifty balls for ages.

That was the main difference between Saturday's display and most
of the earlier home matches. Maintain that for the remainder of the
season plus a bit more cohesion which we should expect from an
almost ' new ' side and we just, repeat just, might have an interesting
run-in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 69
Jarmo.Is.God
February 20, 2017, 10:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
The majority of Bignot's signings are big and physical, which he said we lacked.

Jones is a unit, and looks a very good signing.

Osborne is class, he will go far

Dyson had a good game and scored a great goal.

Defence solid, Mills & Andrew really are our best full backs for a very long time IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 69
oldun
February 20, 2017, 2:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
MB and his team have addressed the midfield weaknesses we have never solved for several seasons. We have seen teams of part timers over run us in some games and the problem has been obvious for a while. OK he has done it with raw recruits but who have some skill and are keen, hardworking and want to improve. Not just going through the motions. I wish them well, it will be interesting to see how things unfold.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 69
rancido
February 20, 2017, 3:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,619
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Civvy at last

As opposed to Pegasus who is a mare immortal!!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 69
golfer
February 20, 2017, 4:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from rancido

Very good-- I backed a mare called Immortal who finished a mere eighth - I think a meercat would have finished closer but if I had been a wise man I would have been incensed if myrrh had won  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 69
Rik e B
February 20, 2017, 5:10pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Quoted from rancido

Pedant of the day award
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 69
ginnywings
February 20, 2017, 7:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from golfer

Very good-- I backed a mare called Immortal who finished a mere eighth - I think a meercat would have finished closer but if I had been a wise man I would have been incensed if myrrh had won  

Meerkat.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 69
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › congrats to the players/Bignot thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.