This thread currently has 7,561 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
December 31, 2016, 7:06pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Tommy
December 31, 2016, 7:53pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Heard the first half (ish) of that on the radio on the way home earlier, but the rest of it past what was aired on RH fills me with enthusiasm.

Shows he recognises what's needed and he says a few more players to come in now to help us with the creativity side of things.

Big month for transfer activity. There really hasn't been much between ourselves and the teams we've played around the top 3 recently so a few quality additions for the final third and no reason we can't make a late charge for the play offs.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 49
lukeo
December 31, 2016, 9:25pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
really enjoyed it. He's so refreshing and honest and tells the truth to us the fans but at the same time uses words and phrases that won't effect his players morale .. He clearly sees Vose as a very talented player but the way he basically says he's lazy has that bit of professionalism and class
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 49
moosey_club
December 31, 2016, 9:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
seems to me that we wont be seeing Browne in a Town shirt, not mentioned at all, also MB saying he doesnt see any creativty in the current squad (outside of Vose and Omar) so is looking to add that in January and the new guy can play up front or on either side.

All adds up to Browne disappearing in January in my eyes in which would prove to be one of the strangest signings we have ever had.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 49
jaygy
December 31, 2016, 9:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Isn't Browne injured?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 49
ginnywings
December 31, 2016, 10:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from jaygy
Isn't Browne injured?

On compassionate leave.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 49
HertsGTFC
December 31, 2016, 11:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Tommy
Heard the first half (ish) of that on the radio on the way home earlier, but the rest of it past what was aired on RH fills me with enthusiasm.

Shows he recognises what's needed and he says a few more players to come in now to help us with the creativity side of things.

Big month for transfer activity. There really hasn't been much between ourselves and the teams we've played around the top 3 recently so a few quality additions for the final third and no reason we can't make a late charge for the play offs.

I just hope we can get what we need to support what Marcus wants to do.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 49
Southwark Mariner
January 1, 2017, 12:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from moosey_club

All adds up to Browne disappearing in January in my eyes in which would prove to be one of the strangest signings we have ever had.

reminds me of Lewis Gobern
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 49
KingstonMariner
January 1, 2017, 1:05am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

reminds me of Lewis Gobern

What, knives on the training pitch?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 49
Meza
January 1, 2017, 1:15am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Im not sure what the reasons are for his compassionate leave but that doesn't mean he'll leave....or does it?  

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 49
TheCodfather1966
January 1, 2017, 1:32am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
I tend to agree with Alan Buckley more about MB so far, in that it is very unclear what MB has brought to the club so far in terms of his footballing style, tactics and overall game plan.  One thing is for sure, if we play like we have been playing away at Carlisle, we will get hammered.  We offer nothing up front at all, and we cannot base 90 minutes upon keeping the home team at bay.  Carlisle are a sharp attacking team and will take us to bits I fear.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 49
denni266
January 1, 2017, 1:59am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
Tbh, i dont think he has brought anything to the team so far . we have lost our attacking spirit , and i think its what he has done more than the players he has, still i will wait like most are to see what happens when he gets a few of his own players in, He is a good talker but that dont win games , and its winning  games that counts in the end
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 49
Tommy
January 1, 2017, 8:57am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from denni266
Tbh, i dont think he has brought anything to the team so far . we have lost our attacking spirit , and i think its what he has done more than the players he has, still i will wait like most are to see what happens when he gets a few of his own players in, He is a good talker but that dont win games , and its winning  games that counts in the end

That only seems to apply when we don't win on this forum. Last week we won but the reaction to the 'average' performance on here was as if we'd been battered 0-4.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 49
Davec
January 1, 2017, 9:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,442
Gold Stars: 42
Why do people think Browne will never play again

Yes he's not had much look in, remember he got injured in pre season, then got a knock again, he's had quite an injury prone start of the season, which is strange because to my knowledge he's not prone to too many injuries, just unlucky I guess, so whilst he's injured he obviously match fitness, since Hurst left he's been getting more of a chance so there are some signs that he will become more involved in the future, but he can't atm because he's on compassionate leave
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 49
mariner91
January 1, 2017, 9:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,646
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Davec

Yes he's not had much look in, remember he got injured in pre season, then got a knock again, he's had quite an injury prone start of the season, which is strange because to my knowledge he's not prone to too many injuries, just unlucky I guess, so whilst he's injured he obviously match fitness, since Hurst left he's been getting more of a chance so there are some signs that he will become more involved in the future, but he can't atm because he's on compassionate leave

Aye with your in depth knowledge of his medical history  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 49
Davec
January 1, 2017, 9:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,442
Gold Stars: 42
Mariner91

No I never claimed that, I'm just basing it on the fact I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that he's injured much, in most cases when a player is Injury prone we hear about it, like Charles Ademeno and Pittman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 49
Hagrid
January 1, 2017, 9:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,413
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from Davec

What knowledge is that?! You'd never have heard of him till we signed him. Despite some injuries, 2 managers have seen fit to not play him for one reason or another, i very much doubt that will change, which may well be a shame as the brief glimpses ive seen i liked but we may not see what goes on in training and beyond
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 49
Garth
January 1, 2017, 10:07am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Probably home sick pre Xmas, would like to see him back soon whatever
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 49
Mrs Doyle
January 1, 2017, 10:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
On hearing that he sounded like a very frustrated man with a lot on his mind. Don't think he is happy with the lack of creativity in the squad and he is not alone on that one.

He is a very honest guy that comes through in spades but if we thought Hurst struggled to find is best eleven Marcus is not finding it any easier albeit he as only been here a few weeks.

He makes complete sense when he mentions players needing to do more OFF the ball something that goads me when I see Danny Andrew say not having an attacking outlet down the flank available etc.

The midfield seem devoid of vision and ideas this is where he thinks Vose should be the play maker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 49
moosey_club
January 1, 2017, 11:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Davec

because MB has just done an interview where he says the group doesnt have the creativity he wants and he is intending recruiting in that area ie the new signing.  Now if i could categorise Browne it wouldnt be in the defensive tough tackling category, it would be as a creative individual player, again MB like Hurst, expects his creative players to also put in a shift and do their team duties as well.

The fact Browne has hardly had a look in with two managers, has now been off on compassionate leave and his position has just been added to by a player the manager has tracked for years then i think its reasonable to assume his days are well and truly numbered.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 49
Roast Em Bobby
January 1, 2017, 11:29am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from denni266

my thoughts exactly, tbh I think he's full of sh1t, he constantly contradicts himself in interviews - one minute we've offered Omar a new contract the next we are just talking about it, in one interview he said we didn't need to offer Collins a renewal because it kicked in automatically the next minute we've offered him a new contract, says he likes making subs but then never makes hardly any, says he wants to play a high press and yet no evidence whatsoever of even trying it in games, says vose had a good game yesterday when he clearly didn't (and god knows why did he started with chambers up front and vose on the wing yesterday).

Hope I'm wrong and I'll keep supporting the team but my gut feel based on his interviews and the games I've seen (most of them) is that what he says and what he does are two different things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
oldun
January 1, 2017, 11:32am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Although put in his own way I think he very much sees it as we fans see it. Need to be better in midfield and up top. Need to be more creative so we get chances and need more firepower. Seems happy with us defensively for the time being. Gave Dom Vose some encouragement for his creative skill, probably his way of motivating him.He may not be able to sort all of the deficiencies out in this window due to budget limitations but he and his colleagues are already planning for the summer. He did stress he inherited the current squad and he is getting an idea of what they can do. He also said it had taken 6 years for the club to get promoted to the league, so things can take a while! I don't think we can argue with any of that. Let him get on with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
jonnyboy82
January 1, 2017, 11:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Talks the best game i have ever heard.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
oldun
January 1, 2017, 11:35am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Talks the best game i have ever heard.

would you rather listen to PH?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2017, 11:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from oldun
Although put in his own way I think he very much sees it as we fans see it. Need to be better in midfield and up top. Need to be more creative so we get chances and need more firepower. Seems happy with us defensively for the time being. Gave Dom Vose some encouragement for his creative skill, probably his way of motivating him.He may not be able to sort all of the deficiencies out in this window due to budget limitations but he and his colleagues are already planning for the summer. He did stress he inherited the current squad and he is getting an idea of what they can do. He also said it had taken 6 years for the club to get promoted to the league, so things can take a while! I don't think we can argue with any of that. Let him get on with it.

I don't disagree but why did he leave the "creative" Vose out wide he should have been in the middle behind Omar and Chambers & Jackson who both have pace could have taken the wide berths.

In his interviews there is an under current suggesting he cant move forward until he gets the players he wants well to a degree I am sure that is true but we have limited means so why is he not talking about doing the best he can with what he has? Feels like he's already covering his backside by siting the players he inherited as the issue for what can at best be described as a mixed start for him.      

Under MB or PH this was always going to be a season of transition but like I said on a previous post he needs to balance pragmatism & idealism maybe we will see that tomorrow with a clean sheet at Carlisle?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
jonnyboy82
January 1, 2017, 11:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from oldun

would you rather listen to PH?

My comment has nowt to do with hurst , all im saying is he talks a very good game.

Lets hope after the time he needs it comes off on the pitch too.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
Mariner_09
January 1, 2017, 11:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
On Jackson he looks out of his depth, lightweight, has no footballing brain and utterly devoid of confidence.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
Mariner_09
January 1, 2017, 11:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I would rather listen to Hursty, he spoke sense and didn't contradict himself and he could answer the question given.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
ginnywings
January 1, 2017, 12:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I'm surprised that people are already questioning  MB after only 8 weeks in the job. He may turn out to be another Mike Newell or he could turn out to be another Buckley, we have no idea at this early stage. He has clearly stated his intentions and we now have to wait and see what his team looks like when he has had more than a handful of games and time to recruit what he sees as the players he feels can deliver. Would Hurst have fared any better with these players? I think we are doing ok in our first season back.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
Mariner93er
January 1, 2017, 12:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
To be honest, we had very little attacking intent when he joined us, so not much has changed. I actually think we look better defensively now than we did under hurst, so maybe who's simply trying to manage results until he can get his own players in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
MuddyWaters
January 1, 2017, 12:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
[quote=120909]I would rather listen to Hursty, he spoke sense and didn't contradict himself and he could answer the question given.[/quote]

And if he couldn't, he sent Doig to do it for him.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
Tommy
January 1, 2017, 12:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Just because MB mentioned he likes attacking football and a high press, it reads on here like some people expected him to turn us into bloody Barcelona in a matter of weeks.

It's just not as easy as that. It'll take time and some movement (in and out) of players. Klopp came in at Liverpool but it's taken him well over a year to get them playing anything like his Dortmund team did (still a way off mind).

If we had a team of 5'7 youngsters and Allardyce came in wanting to play long-ball, you wouldn't hammer him after 8 weeks for not being able to implement his style because he would've inherited a squad built for a different style.

Yes I do think we still could've played a bit better football at times. But when simple passes go astray that's down to the players on the pitch. Bignot has purposely not played his best eleven consistently because he's rotated players and given everyone a run of at least 2/3 games so he an assess what he's got and what he needs to transform us into a team that can play the way he wants us to.

I think where we are in the league now is where we'd have ended up under Hurst anyway. Of course we'd crept into the play offs but that was early in the season and obviously before we'd played any of the top 4/5.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
lew chaterleys lover
January 1, 2017, 12:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

my thoughts exactly, tbh I think he's full of sh1t, he constantly contradicts himself in interviews - one minute we've offered Omar a new contract the next we are just talking about it, in one interview he said we didn't need to offer Collins a renewal because it kicked in automatically the next minute we've offered him a new contract, says he likes making subs but then never makes hardly any, says he wants to play a high press and yet no evidence whatsoever of even trying it in games, says vose had a good game yesterday when he clearly didn't (and god knows why did he started with chambers up front and vose on the wing yesterday).

Hope I'm wrong and I'll keep supporting the team but my gut feel based on his interviews and the games I've seen (most of them) is that what he says and what he does are two different things.

I have not been impressed so far at all. I have tried to take the positives from his personality and obviously he is a likeable man.

But, I am very disappointed he has not got more out of this squad of players. I had hoped January would bring a couple of players that would be the icing on the cake, and that he would get them playing a more attacking game, at home at least. Even if he gets say 3 new players he is more comfortable with, the bulk of the squad will be the same, so why hasn't he been able to start producing a more obvious style by now?

To be brutally honest we have gone backwards in the last few weeks; lets hope that the New Year brings better displays. If I remember Buckley faced a difficult start before it started to click, so I hope this is more of that than another manager who talked a good game - Mike Newell.  

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
Bigdog
January 1, 2017, 1:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Have some patience guys.

It might not be pretty, but we've not conceded from open play in four games and the guy's not even had his first transfer window yet..

His interview gave me more confidence in him than before. He openly identified the shortcomings in the squad that we've been talking about for months. The deficiencies are still there and will be until a change of personnel is made.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
headingly_mariner
January 1, 2017, 1:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm surprised that people are already questioning  MB after only 8 weeks in the job. He may turn out to be another Mike Newell or he could turn out to be another Buckley, we have no idea at this early stage. He has clearly stated his intentions and we now have to wait and see what his team looks like when he has had more than a handful of games and time to recruit what he sees as the players he feels can deliver. Would Hurst have fared any better with these players? I think we are doing ok in our first season back.

I certainly agree that it is too early to judge whether he will be a success or not. I think new managers need to be given time to get things right. I think it is fair to say that performances have been poor so far though. In answer to your question, I think Hurst probably would have done better with them, his teams were always organised and players knew their role, I am not sure that has been the case under Bignot so far.
There are a lot of shite teams in this division and you can bag serious points by being more organised and harder working than the opposition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
MuddyWaters
January 1, 2017, 1:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Interesting watching players warm up and who looks fitter than others. Zak Mills always impresses, as do Ben Davies and Danny Andrew. The players who have looked more ponderous than others include Berrett and Gowling and, until recently, Shaun Pearson and Tom Bolarinwa, both look far fitter now than they did earlier in the season.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2017, 2:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I certainly agree that it is too early to judge whether he will be a success or not. I think new managers need to be given time to get things right. I think it is fair to say that performances have been poor so far though. In answer to your question, I think Hurst probably would have done better with them, his teams were always organised and players knew their role, I am not sure that has been the case under Bignot so far.
There are a lot of shite teams in this division and you can bag serious points by being more organised and harder working than the opposition.

I would love us to go to Carlisle and get a boring 0 - 0 tomorrow with a line up of 4 - 5 - 1 ....... horses for courses as they say.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
ginnywings
January 1, 2017, 2:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic

Which is my point. The players had a role they knew under Hurst and were recruited for that style of play. MB is seeing which players can adapt to the style he wants to play and its clear some can't, so they will be replaced, which takes time. It's disjointed at this time but will hopefully become clearer as time passes.

We do have a game plan but the players can't carry it through. The midfield and forwards can't keep hold of the ball, so we are always chasing and stretching.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2017, 2:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
Just because MB mentioned he likes attacking football and a high press, it reads on here like some people expected him to turn us into bloody Barcelona in a matter of weeks.

It's just not as easy as that. It'll take time and some movement (in and out) of players. Klopp came in at Liverpool but it's taken him well over a year to get them playing anything like his Dortmund team did (still a way off mind).

If we had a team of 5'7 youngsters and Allardyce came in wanting to play long-ball, you wouldn't hammer him after 8 weeks for not being able to implement his style because he would've inherited a squad built for a different style.

Yes I do think we still could've played a bit better football at times. But when simple passes go astray that's down to the players on the pitch. Bignot has purposely not played his best eleven consistently because he's rotated players and given everyone a run of at least 2/3 games so he an assess what he's got and what he needs to transform us into a team that can play the way he wants us to.

I think where we are in the league now is where we'd have ended up under Hurst anyway. Of course we'd crept into the play offs but that was early in the season and obviously before we'd played any of the top 4/5.

Possibly Marcus has not been savvy with talking about how he likes to play, maybe he should have just talked about what he wants and can achieve in the immediate future rather than the vision

If everybody is getting 2/3 games to show what they can do when do the likes of Josh Venney, Dan Jones and Rhys Browne (before his leave) get a game I wonder?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
headingly_mariner
January 1, 2017, 2:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

Which is my point. The players had a role they knew under Hurst and were recruited for that style of play. MB is seeing which players can adapt to the style he wants to play and its clear some can't, so they will be replaced, which takes time. It's disjointed at this time but will hopefully become clearer as time passes.

We do have a game plan but the players can't carry it through. The midfield and forwards can't keep hold of the ball, so we are always chasing and stretching.

Hurst was determined to have us playing 433 from the moment he walked through the door but could never really manage it. Bignot seems to want to change style as you say, but this tinkering was unnecessary at the time, as we had a decent side playing quite well. If there is a gameplan that is unachievable, then that needs to be worked on in training. We need to play a way that suits the players we have and have some kind of method to our play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
TheGoalKipper
January 1, 2017, 2:50pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
On hearing that he sounded like a very frustrated man with a lot on his mind. Don't think he is happy with the lack of creativity in the squad and he is not alone on that one.

He is a very honest guy that comes through in spades but if we thought Hurst struggled to find is best eleven Marcus is not finding it any easier albeit he as only been here a few weeks.

He makes complete sense when he mentions players needing to do more OFF the ball something that goads me when I see Danny Andrew say not having an attacking outlet down the flank available etc.

The midfield seem devoid of vision and ideas this is where he thinks Vose should be the play maker.

Agree 100%. Passing to one of your own players is much easier when they make themselves available by running into space. Basic football knowlege really. not much point in getting in a creative players if you dont provide him with decent target options.
I hope his comments about getting one or two signings over the line will be 3 or 4. 1 or 2 will not change these midfield/ forwards enough to get us into a healthy position for the rest of the season and give us a base to go on from next season,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 49
Mariner93er
January 1, 2017, 2:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Where we playing that well? By the time hurst left the goals had completely dried up and bogle hadn't scored in a while.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 49
Bigdog
January 1, 2017, 2:58pm
Whiskey Drinker

Hurst was determined to have us playing 433 from the moment he walked through the door but could never really manage it. Bignot seems to want to change style as you say, but this tinkering was unnecessary at the time, as we had a decent side playing quite well. If there is a gameplan that is unachievable, then that needs to be worked on in training. We need to play a way that suits the players we have and have some kind of method to our play.

Did we?  

Only two dominant victories, Morecambe (H), Stevenage (H), ok and edged a tight game Cambridge (A), smash and grab Luton (A) win, didn't play well but two 1-0 victories in poor games Newport (H), Mansfield (A). The rest of the games, and there were NINE of them, we were quite poor. Just because we were in a false position earlier on in 6th didn't mean we had a decent side playing quite well. We were about two points above 18th place at the time. To try and say MB has ruined a good team is ludicrous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 49
Marinerz93
January 1, 2017, 3:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
PH built a side that was difficult to break down but not creative hence Biggys comments that it took a club of our size 6 years to get out of the abyss. PH's team's could rarely adapt in games that needed different game plans and Hurst was labelled by the majority of having no plan B.

I think Biggy is more tuned into what is needed for promotion than many are knocking him for.

We need players to do as much off the ball as when they are on it, closing down play, making runs, getting into positions for a short pass / triangle. Players who can adapt to different formations, be creative, and to be competent in another position.

Biggy wants wingers who take players on, he wants a midfield that is creative yet dominant. He acknowledges that we have some really good players but it is obvious we need a dominant midfield and a striker decent enough to partner Omar.

From what I have seen of Summerfield I disagree with Biggy over him. I don't think he should start games and I certainly wouldn't be including him in my long term plans, would loved to be proved wrong but for me he isn't strong enough presence and gives the ball away far too often which has resulted in the opposition scoring.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 49
oldun
January 1, 2017, 3:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Summerfield had a good 45 mins yesterday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 49
Bigdog
January 1, 2017, 3:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Summerfield is never going to be quite good enough for us to make progression up and out of this league. Not a player to build our team around, which is what you should do with central midfield pairings..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 49
Garth
January 1, 2017, 6:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Mariner_09
On Jackson he looks out of his depth, lightweight, has no footballing brain and utterly devoid of confidence.

And pace, seen to many defenders out run him, its all a myth I tell yer a myth
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 49
Rob_in_Grimsby
January 1, 2017, 8:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
I think we need to put things in prospective though

PH managed Grimsby for 15 games in L2, 10 of these games where teams in the bottom 12
MB has managed Grimsby for 8 games and only 2 of them have been in the bottom 12

PH had a 1.4 points average per game where MB has currently got a 1.1 points per game. Given the fixtures have been allot tougher for MB hes has not done allot worse

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 49
chaos33
January 1, 2017, 9:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Agree with Bigdog and 93.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 49
Madeleymariner
January 2, 2017, 10:03am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,052
Gold Stars: 49
Love the Bignot interviews, always makes me smirk whether hes talking bull or not. In the end what happens on the pitch is all that really matters but would rather have a giggle at Bignots interviews (reminds me of Holloway a bit) than end up switching off as Hurst bores me to death.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 49
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcus post match interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.