5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
January 1, 2017, 12:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,170
Gold Stars: 233
[quote=120909]I would rather listen to Hursty, he spoke sense and didn't contradict himself and he could answer the question given.[/quote]

And if he couldn't, he sent Doig to do it for him.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
Tommy
January 1, 2017, 12:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Just because MB mentioned he likes attacking football and a high press, it reads on here like some people expected him to turn us into bloody Barcelona in a matter of weeks.

It's just not as easy as that. It'll take time and some movement (in and out) of players. Klopp came in at Liverpool but it's taken him well over a year to get them playing anything like his Dortmund team did (still a way off mind).

If we had a team of 5'7 youngsters and Allardyce came in wanting to play long-ball, you wouldn't hammer him after 8 weeks for not being able to implement his style because he would've inherited a squad built for a different style.

Yes I do think we still could've played a bit better football at times. But when simple passes go astray that's down to the players on the pitch. Bignot has purposely not played his best eleven consistently because he's rotated players and given everyone a run of at least 2/3 games so he an assess what he's got and what he needs to transform us into a team that can play the way he wants us to.

I think where we are in the league now is where we'd have ended up under Hurst anyway. Of course we'd crept into the play offs but that was early in the season and obviously before we'd played any of the top 4/5.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
lew chaterleys lover
January 1, 2017, 12:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,647
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

my thoughts exactly, tbh I think he's full of sh1t, he constantly contradicts himself in interviews - one minute we've offered Omar a new contract the next we are just talking about it, in one interview he said we didn't need to offer Collins a renewal because it kicked in automatically the next minute we've offered him a new contract, says he likes making subs but then never makes hardly any, says he wants to play a high press and yet no evidence whatsoever of even trying it in games, says vose had a good game yesterday when he clearly didn't (and god knows why did he started with chambers up front and vose on the wing yesterday).

Hope I'm wrong and I'll keep supporting the team but my gut feel based on his interviews and the games I've seen (most of them) is that what he says and what he does are two different things.

I have not been impressed so far at all. I have tried to take the positives from his personality and obviously he is a likeable man.

But, I am very disappointed he has not got more out of this squad of players. I had hoped January would bring a couple of players that would be the icing on the cake, and that he would get them playing a more attacking game, at home at least. Even if he gets say 3 new players he is more comfortable with, the bulk of the squad will be the same, so why hasn't he been able to start producing a more obvious style by now?

To be brutally honest we have gone backwards in the last few weeks; lets hope that the New Year brings better displays. If I remember Buckley faced a difficult start before it started to click, so I hope this is more of that than another manager who talked a good game - Mike Newell.  

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
Bigdog
January 1, 2017, 1:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Have some patience guys.

It might not be pretty, but we've not conceded from open play in four games and the guy's not even had his first transfer window yet..

His interview gave me more confidence in him than before. He openly identified the shortcomings in the squad that we've been talking about for months. The deficiencies are still there and will be until a change of personnel is made.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
headingly_mariner
January 1, 2017, 1:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm surprised that people are already questioning  MB after only 8 weeks in the job. He may turn out to be another Mike Newell or he could turn out to be another Buckley, we have no idea at this early stage. He has clearly stated his intentions and we now have to wait and see what his team looks like when he has had more than a handful of games and time to recruit what he sees as the players he feels can deliver. Would Hurst have fared any better with these players? I think we are doing ok in our first season back.

I certainly agree that it is too early to judge whether he will be a success or not. I think new managers need to be given time to get things right. I think it is fair to say that performances have been poor so far though. In answer to your question, I think Hurst probably would have done better with them, his teams were always organised and players knew their role, I am not sure that has been the case under Bignot so far.
There are a lot of shite teams in this division and you can bag serious points by being more organised and harder working than the opposition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
MuddyWaters
January 1, 2017, 1:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,170
Interesting watching players warm up and who looks fitter than others. Zak Mills always impresses, as do Ben Davies and Danny Andrew. The players who have looked more ponderous than others include Berrett and Gowling and, until recently, Shaun Pearson and Tom Bolarinwa, both look far fitter now than they did earlier in the season.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2017, 2:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,891
Gold Stars: 225
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I certainly agree that it is too early to judge whether he will be a success or not. I think new managers need to be given time to get things right. I think it is fair to say that performances have been poor so far though. In answer to your question, I think Hurst probably would have done better with them, his teams were always organised and players knew their role, I am not sure that has been the case under Bignot so far.
There are a lot of shite teams in this division and you can bag serious points by being more organised and harder working than the opposition.

I would love us to go to Carlisle and get a boring 0 - 0 tomorrow with a line up of 4 - 5 - 1 ....... horses for courses as they say.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
ginnywings
January 1, 2017, 2:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,084
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Which is my point. The players had a role they knew under Hurst and were recruited for that style of play. MB is seeing which players can adapt to the style he wants to play and its clear some can't, so they will be replaced, which takes time. It's disjointed at this time but will hopefully become clearer as time passes.

We do have a game plan but the players can't carry it through. The midfield and forwards can't keep hold of the ball, so we are always chasing and stretching.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2017, 2:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,891
Gold Stars: 225
Quoted from Tommy
Just because MB mentioned he likes attacking football and a high press, it reads on here like some people expected him to turn us into bloody Barcelona in a matter of weeks.

It's just not as easy as that. It'll take time and some movement (in and out) of players. Klopp came in at Liverpool but it's taken him well over a year to get them playing anything like his Dortmund team did (still a way off mind).

If we had a team of 5'7 youngsters and Allardyce came in wanting to play long-ball, you wouldn't hammer him after 8 weeks for not being able to implement his style because he would've inherited a squad built for a different style.

Yes I do think we still could've played a bit better football at times. But when simple passes go astray that's down to the players on the pitch. Bignot has purposely not played his best eleven consistently because he's rotated players and given everyone a run of at least 2/3 games so he an assess what he's got and what he needs to transform us into a team that can play the way he wants us to.

I think where we are in the league now is where we'd have ended up under Hurst anyway. Of course we'd crept into the play offs but that was early in the season and obviously before we'd played any of the top 4/5.

Possibly Marcus has not been savvy with talking about how he likes to play, maybe he should have just talked about what he wants and can achieve in the immediate future rather than the vision

If everybody is getting 2/3 games to show what they can do when do the likes of Josh Venney, Dan Jones and Rhys Browne (before his leave) get a game I wonder?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
headingly_mariner
January 1, 2017, 2:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

Which is my point. The players had a role they knew under Hurst and were recruited for that style of play. MB is seeing which players can adapt to the style he wants to play and its clear some can't, so they will be replaced, which takes time. It's disjointed at this time but will hopefully become clearer as time passes.

We do have a game plan but the players can't carry it through. The midfield and forwards can't keep hold of the ball, so we are always chasing and stretching.

Hurst was determined to have us playing 433 from the moment he walked through the door but could never really manage it. Bignot seems to want to change style as you say, but this tinkering was unnecessary at the time, as we had a decent side playing quite well. If there is a gameplan that is unachievable, then that needs to be worked on in training. We need to play a way that suits the players we have and have some kind of method to our play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcus post match interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.