Garth
November 1, 2016, 12:02pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from AdamHaddock
My preference would still be Evans, Stubbs or Mackay if we could attract them but the more I hear about Bignot the more I'm warming to him. Jones would be welcome as well.

If the GTFC board are considering Knill, Robins or Wilcox then god help us

If anyone of those three were chosen, we are in for a melt down on here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 350 - 357
acko338
November 1, 2016, 12:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
My downer about Jones is the lack of recent experience and potential lack of knowledge of the non league scene where we need to look for bargains for up and coming players, not the journeymen that Jones will probably know from his last job.

By the way, has he got a job in any form of football currently, scouting, commentating etc??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 351 - 357
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 1, 2016, 12:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings

That's what i like about Jones. His teams play attractive, attacking football.

Yes. He was a very good manager who could have been outstanding if he had not been almost forced out of the game by those false allegations. I felt he lost his spark somewhat through that. He was extremely good at Stockport and Southampton. He built some reasonable teams after that but maybe without quite the same pizazz even at Cardiff. Overall he only managed 3 promotions in 15 years.

I just don't think he would be right for us in terms of relevant recent experience though and there is the geography factor too.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 352 - 357
KingstonMariner
November 1, 2016, 1:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Yes. He was a very good manager who could have been outstanding if he had not been almost forced out of the game by those false allegations. I felt he lost his spark somewhat through that. He was extremely good at Stockport and Southampton. He built some reasonable teams after that but maybe without quite the same pizazz even at Cardiff. Overall he only managed 3 promotions in 15 years.

I just don't think he would be right for us in terms of relevant recent experience though and there is the geography factor too.

1 in every 5 years. Positively Hurstian then.  

(though to be fair to Paul, it was a hard division to get out of).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 353 - 357
1mickylyons
November 1, 2016, 1:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,390
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from KingstonMariner

1 in every 5 years. Positively Hurstian then.  

(though to be fair to Paul, it was a hard division to get out of).

Ha but two ways of looking at that Kingston

One it should be classed much easier because it was a lower division
Two it was harder due to one automatic and one via play offs

Either way im grateful were out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 354 - 357
ginnywings
November 1, 2016, 1:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from acko338
My downer about Jones is the lack of recent experience and potential lack of knowledge of the non league scene where we need to look for bargains for up and coming players, not the journeymen that Jones will probably know from his last job.

By the way, has he got a job in any form of football currently, scouting, commentating etc??

That bit wouldn't worry me. He's from the north west and there are plenty of teams there and plenty of talented players from non league right up to the Premier League looking for opportunities. Teams like Morecambe and Accrington survive and compete because of it. Whether he is up to speed on this is another matter; we simply don't know. I'd be happy to see him here and he is probably looking for an opportunity to kick start his career, otherwise i don't think we'd be in with a shout but for his troubles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 355 - 357
Garth
November 1, 2016, 5:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 26
Betting has him at 1/1 with Jones at 9/4,--- writings on the wall now it seems
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 356 - 357
puffin
November 2, 2016, 4:46pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1
Could the time have come to appoint a woman manager? If so, who might be the ideal choice?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 357 - 357
36 Pages Prev ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shortlist of 6

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.