HertsGTFC
October 1, 2016, 9:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 75
I was sat in the lower findus, as I always am. In my opinion, their left back would have been wrong if he didn't take Chambers out. Ashley was slightly, very slightly ahead of him and the ball was played ahead of the slightly out of position full back. I do not believe, for one minute the lad tried to slash Ashley's leg open. He won't have been wearing 'blades' or dodgy boots, they are checked by the officials.

Just because there is a nasty looking injury, it doesn't mean there should be an instant red card, it was one of those injuries, it happens. Their full back had to do the professional thing and either win the ball or take Chambers out.

Read what you have posted here back to yourself FFS ............ is taking another player out "professional" that's a term that can be used to describe many more good things in the game than that challenge.

Why is it right to take a player out? Agree he did not try and gash his leg but he clearly went in with enough force to cause what could have been a dangerous injury. You are right the officials check boots so if he was not wearing anything unsafe so he clearly went in with real intent to cause that type of gash.

I am not living in the dark ages thinking that we should play in a "corinthian spirit" but your logic suggests that you condone what is a really bad challenge.............I'd give Dave Challoner a call he likes that sort of thing.      

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 66
October 1, 2016, 9:27pm
Guest User
Quoted from sydney
Worse decision I've seen in ages and I've seen some bad ones
excrement ref again thought we had left them behind in conference
Someone who reads this thread should report this ref and he should get a ban or relegated
Chambers was obviously hurt bad
Red card 110%
Here is to a swift recovery Chambers

Not IMO. Was a 60/40 and the full back wasn't the favourite. He had to stretch, had to catch him or he's be a shite full back! When he missed the ball, it was probably a yellow. The injury doesn't make it a straight red for me, unless there was intent to hurt our player. There was intent to stop him, but not to injure him like that. My opinion anyway, the game is too soft now.
Reply: 31 - 66
bigdavemariner
October 1, 2016, 9:31pm
UTM
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 4
Impossible for a ref to send a player off based on a resulting injury.
As an example, 2 players come together at the same point. One player breaks his ankle on impact . Doesn't make it a bad challenge so isn't a red card.
The same thing with chambers. I'm not saying if it was a foul or not as I couldn't tell you, but the defender could have won the ball and momentum took him through chambers and caused the injury. It's an awful injury but doesn't make it a red card.
Wish him a speedy recovery. Missed his hard work defensively today

Gary Lump Lump Lump!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 66
MarinerWY
October 1, 2016, 9:34pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from 75
Going back just a few years at Sunday level, the refs check for suitable boots. I can't imagine 'blades' are allowed at that level or that the checking of boots isn't enforced.

Blades are certainly allowed at Sunday league level. Although regarding checking of boots, I agree this is something that used to happen before every match only a few years ago, however I haven't had boots checked with one random exception for quite a few seasons now.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 66
October 1, 2016, 9:35pm
Guest User
Will both have to see the challenge again Herts, I've no problem with the tackle as above. Will look again when it's online and we'll maybe comment again. I don't condone any tackle where the perpretrator tries to genuinely injure a fellow professional like that shithead Parkin on Josh Gowling in the final, but I've no issue with someone doing his job when the odds are against him in a fast moving environment. Or even if he knows he's beaten (not in this case) and taking one for the team.

It comes down to was there intent to inflict that injury? For me, I was ten yards away with a clear view. No, no intent. Intent to win the ball when up against it, intent to make sure the opponent didn't get away and take one for the team. Yes, yellow maybe at worst for me.
Reply: 34 - 66
MuddyWaters
October 1, 2016, 9:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,261
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from bigdavemariner
Impossible for a ref to send a player off based on a resulting injury.
As an example, 2 players come together at the same point. One player breaks his ankle on impact . Doesn't make it a bad challenge so isn't a red card.
The same thing with chambers. I'm not saying if it was a foul or not as I couldn't tell you, but the defender could have won the ball and momentum took him through chambers and caused the injury. It's an awful injury but doesn't make it a red card.
Wish him a speedy recovery. Missed his hard work defensively today

Sorry, can't agree. Any challenge that causes an injury like that is a red card all day long.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 66
Marinerz93
October 1, 2016, 9:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 75

Not IMO. Was a 60/40 and the full back wasn't the favourite. He had to stretch, had to catch him or he's be a shite full back! When he missed the ball, it was probably a yellow. The injury doesn't make it a straight red for me, unless there was intent to hurt our player. There was intent to stop him, but not to injure him like that. My opinion anyway, the game is too soft now.

60/40 is about right in Chambers favour and your comment about taking Ash out is also right, therefore it was deliberate and a straight red. Intent to stop him has resulted in Chambers being out for 4 to 6 weeks, too soft, it's not Rollerball (film from 80's)

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 66
sydney
October 1, 2016, 9:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
It's on his thigh isn't it
Seems pretty high to me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 66
promotion plaice
October 1, 2016, 9:40pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,081
Gold Stars: 199

Red card all day long.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 66
October 1, 2016, 9:44pm
Guest User
Quoted from Marinerz93

60/40 is about right in Chambers favour and your comment about taking Ash out is also right, therefore it was deliberate and a straight red. Intent to stop him has resulted in Chambers being out for 4 to 6 weeks, too soft, it's not Rollerball (film from 80's)

There's a millisecond in it. It was in the middle right of the park, plenty of defenders in front of him. Their lad had to make the challenge, only he knows in his mind if he wanted to take Chambers out. If it was me, I'd have tried to win the ball, as soon as I'd stretched and lost out, I'd have made sure the lad didn't make me look a mug and gone through him, with the knowledge the ref would have know I'd played the ball, but in my head I'd have known I'd have taken the man as well. To be fair, he was so committed, he wouldn't have had much choice. Come on lads, most of us here have played the game at some crap level, it's the same at league 2 I'm sure!
Reply: 39 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chambers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.