7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Japers
October 1, 2016, 8:23pm

ABsaid put it in corner,thought meant top corner
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +13
I wonder if the guy had studs or blades on as i seem to remember reading an article several years ago that blades on boots cause these gaping wounds.
awaits many jokes about blades....
hope Chambers gets sorted soon.

The boss told me to put it in the corner.....i thought he meant the top corner.
Jim Dobbin after 1-0 victory at Newcastle wonder strike
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 66
October 1, 2016, 8:23pm
Guest User
I was sat in the lower findus, as I always am. In my opinion, their left back would have been wrong if he didn't take Chambers out. Ashley was slightly, very slightly ahead of him and the ball was played ahead of the slightly out of position full back. I do not believe, for one minute the lad tried to slash Ashley's leg open. He won't have been wearing 'blades' or dodgy boots, they are checked by the officials.

Just because there is a nasty looking injury, it doesn't mean there should be an instant red card, it was one of those injuries, it happens. Their full back had to do the professional thing and either win the ball or take Chambers out.
Reply: 21 - 66
chaos33
October 1, 2016, 8:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Exactly. It's very nasty and very unfortunate, but does happen.
Somebody saying he 'deserves better' seems to me to fundamentally misunderstand the nature of accidents and freak occurrences.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 66
Japers
October 1, 2016, 8:28pm

Table Wine Drinker
not suggesting anything untoward about the players boots just wondering if he had good old fashioned stud or moulded blades on. i will try to find the report about the introduction of blades onto football boots and causing bigger cuts then simple studs

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 66
mariner91
October 1, 2016, 8:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,653
Gold Stars: 262
Good luck to Ash, that is going to be sore for at least a few days! Hope we see him back sooner rather than later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 66
Japers
October 1, 2016, 8:33pm

Table Wine Drinker
there have been numerous injuries caused by blades or hybrids to back up his theory. In 2002, Burnley striker Andy Payton was forced to retire after needing 38 stitches in his leg – "It was like a carving knife slitting it open," he said last year. Gillingham player Andy Hessenthaler had suffered a similar injury the year before, with a cut so deep he reported that he could fit a whole mobile phone inside it, while last month 13-year-old schoolboy Kavan Ryan was rushed to hospital with a 10-inch gash sustained in a youth match in the Midlands.

But while Sir Alex Ferguson went as far as banning blades at Manchester United in 2005 after he claimed they were responsible for Roy Keane breaking his foot and several junior leagues around the country followed suit, it wasn't until Wayne Rooney suffered a horrific gashed leg against Fulham last year that the problem was once again highlighted on the big stage. In the immediate aftermath of that incident, PFA chief executive, Gordon Taylor, called for tighter regulations and raised the issue in a meeting with the FA's Medical Committee, although no action was taken.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 66
October 1, 2016, 8:34pm
Guest User
Quoted from Japers
not suggesting anything untoward about the players boots just wondering if he had good old fashioned stud or moulded blades on. i will try to find the report about the introduction of blades onto football boots and causing bigger cuts then simple studs

Going back just a few years at Sunday level, the refs check for suitable boots. I can't imagine 'blades' are allowed at that level or that the checking of boots isn't enforced.
Reply: 26 - 66
Mariner93er
October 1, 2016, 9:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,737
Gold Stars: 28
I do find it bizarre to suggest that their guy should have been sent off solely based on the injury, even if non of the officials saw it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 66
sydney
October 1, 2016, 9:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Worse decision I've seen in ages and I've seen some bad ones
excrement ref again thought we had left them behind in conference
Someone who reads this thread should report this ref and he should get a ban or relegated
Chambers was obviously hurt bad
Red card 110%
Here is to a swift recovery Chambers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 66
Maringer
October 1, 2016, 9:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,526
Gold Stars: 185
Any challenge with raised studs which causes injury like that is surely dangerous play, even if there was no intent, just clumsiness?

Ah well, hope Chambers makes a prompt recovery. Guess it will be several weeks before he's able to play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chambers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.