Hagrid
September 18, 2016, 9:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,393
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from Davec
Well first of all credit to Crewe Alexandra they were extremely organised, they reminded me of Bristol Rovers when they beat us in the league here, they didn't give us a sniff, harried us, closed us down, put us under pressure, they certainly did their homework on Bogle and they nullified him effectively, and they also nullified us.

Mckeown kept us in it at times today, could have been 4 or 5 without him, I think it is harsh to apportion any blame to him for the first goal, he wasn't going to get it ahead of the attacker, he was either going to give away a penalty or he would have been simply skipped around.

Davies, I've yet to seen what all the fuss is about in all honesty, he's technically good and his crossing ability is generally excellent but he just doesn't seem effective to me

Gowling and Pearson were both poor I think, neither of them are comfortable on the ball, how can we play it out from the back when they both treat the ball as so it is a hot potato!

Andrew is certainly a weak link, defensively he's found wanting at times, most of the goals conceded this season is from his side, and I think generally his distribution is quite average.

Chambers tried but offered very little, again Crewe nullified him.

Comley I thought did well, I see not many people agree but I thought he did alright, he covers alot of ground!

Summerfield I've said before I don't think warrants a 2 year deal, I think he's a decent enough player but at times he's very slack with his passing, first half yesterday especially, for their goal i have no idea what he was doing, it looked as so he was trying to pass it to the referee!

Vose, tried but again an off day for him, they marshalled him very well.

Tuton I think is better on the counter attack, so as such more of an impact sub.

Bogle showed glimpses but he got very little service.

Subs.
Jackson tried but struggled today against the defence, never got a sniff.

Bolarinwa certainly added some pace and initially gave them something to think about but they quickly managed to work him out and limit him

I would have liked to see a change in formation today, give them something else to think about!

And for Mansfield I would like to see Collins in for Gowling.

Agree with that pretty much aaron, thought comley was poor though, game passed our midfield by. Credit to crewe, they did a job on us and fully deserved the 3 points
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 73
psgmariner
September 18, 2016, 9:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Only my second game (after morecambe) and the one main positive I took from it was how good Vose was. Absolute class on the ball.

Private Message
Reply: 41 - 73
oldun
September 18, 2016, 10:09am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I did not enjoy that game. Not because we lost but for the lack of quality on the pitch from both teams. Crewe were less bad than we were. They did the basics much better, did a job on Bogle and Vose and generally closed us down quickly. Then to cap it all we gift wrap them goals to take the points. This will not live long in my memory and it is a shame as over 5000 expectant fans witnessed a dire game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 73
Misterton Mariner
September 18, 2016, 10:15am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 1
The big difference for me between the two sides was pace. I thought their defence in particular closed us down with ease
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 73
ginnywings
September 18, 2016, 11:25am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,123
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from oldun
I did not enjoy that game. Not because we lost but for the lack of quality on the pitch from both teams. Crewe were less bad than we were. They did the basics much better, did a job on Bogle and Vose and generally closed us down quickly. Then to cap it all we gift wrap them goals to take the points. This will not live long in my memory and it is a shame as over 5000 expectant fans witnessed a dire game.

It's strange, the differing opinions. I enjoyed the game and although it was more tactical than technical, it was way more enjoyable than the standard from the previous 6 seasons. Dire, it wasn't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 73
Kris2
September 18, 2016, 12:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from ginnywings

It's strange, the differing opinions. I enjoyed the game and although it was more tactical than technical, it was way more enjoyable than the standard from the previous 6 seasons. Dire, it wasn't.

Exactly. I'd rather see us get shut down and beat by a proper football team than see us win against some Sunday league part timers from somewhere I've never heard of who just lump the ball around and park the bus.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 73
HertsGTFC
September 18, 2016, 1:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from psgmariner
Only my second game (after morecambe) and the one main positive I took from it was how good Vose was. Absolute class on the ball.

He played a long cross field pass to Omar just before the disallowed goal which absolutely picked a hole in their defence, not only did he have the skill to do it he also had the vision and brains, similar pass made to Chambers in the 2nd half which could have resulted in something really good. Next week I would put Vose and Cormley in the middle and have Chambers and Bolarinwas out wide.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 73
Pastandpresent
September 18, 2016, 3:45pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -226
Because were so weak defensively would go with 4231 vose in the middle of the three with Jackson/Tom  and chambers wide and bogle up top in the 2 defensive midfield comley and davies back 4 of mills , Collins and Pearson and Andrews
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 73
TAGG
September 18, 2016, 7:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from ginnywings

Agree.
I know we lost but I did enjoy the game.
Crewe did there homework on the likes of Vose and played us out of the game.
Sometimes you can give it all you have but then you come up against a better side then you just have to brush yeself down and get ready for the next match.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 73
MarinerRob
September 18, 2016, 8:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
I agree that Crewe were very well organised and played the ball on the ground with confidence but for the gift of a goal in 1st half injury time and the mix up for the second goal with failing to clear the ball then a draw could have been on the cards. Having said that I think that Town didn't play that well but they were not total rubbish.

I thought to myself on the way home that it was a bit of a reality check and then read later that others felt the same. We won the 1st game, then lost three on the trot before the good form in the last three. Many, including myself, were feeling a little more comfortable. This game shows that you have to be on the 'ball' all the time and not to expect things to happen. Just feel, like many, if the defence could tighten up so that we don't have to score so many goals to get anything out of the game would be a big step forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.