8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
September 17, 2016, 7:27pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,194
Gold Stars: 121
I might be in a minority of one but I thought Crewe were pretty decent. A game where you are pressed from the opening whistle would see far better sides than Town make mistakes. I was speaking to a couple of Crewe fans before the game and they pointed out that a decent number of their first team have played together since academy days. Today you saw the benefits of that and to be in that position is something I firmly believe Town should aspire to. Not many teams will stop us from scoring this season.
We do seem to be getting punished for virtually every mistake though and although I'm loathe to use it as an excuse we definitely don't get the rub of the green decision wise. The lino on the Main Stand side second half saw every single marginal offside but had an attack of temporary blindness over the rugby tackle that went unpunished.
Macca's penalty save was top drawer but the block during the melee which followed pushed it close. Stand out players for me were Pearson (I know his distribution isn't great but you'd definitely want him in your corner if the chips were down) and Chambers who never stopped trying. This won't be popular but today we saw the worst of Bogle. My impression was though that he let the referee get to him rather than being pi**ed off at the lack of service. There are a lot of teams who will use experience to niggle away at less savvy opponents and I think Crewe did a job on him today. Once he starts muttering under his breath and making wild hand gestures then his value becomes limited. There were one or two flashes of brilliance from him. One turn and drag of the ball in the second half away from the defender was absolutely sublime.
On the positive side the players kept going throughout especially the much maligned Summerfield. My mind went back to the last time we played Crewe at home (the (in)famous Forecast debut) and the difference in the way the two Town teams acquitted themselves were light years apart.
We go on. Bring on The Mansfield.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 73
Maringer
September 17, 2016, 7:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I certainly think that Crewe looked the best team we've faced at BP this season though that's not saying much.

They did look a very good 'team', however. No real stand-out players but good cohesion all round and a good work ethic.

I was pretty disappointed by Comley and Tuton who didn't get into it at all in the first half (Comley improved a bit in the second). One of those days for Vose where nothing much goes right. I'd imagine we'll see quite a few of these this season, but hopefully without too many of the other players performing below-par at the same time as they did today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 73
TAGG
September 17, 2016, 8:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Crews were a very well drilled in ye face side. We were beat by the better side today.
Don't want to criticise any of the players because I think they all tried hard but just were second best on the day.
UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 73
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2016, 9:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Last week.....

Passed the ball really well
Closed down well with excellent energy
Kept the ball
Got the ball down at every opportunity
Doubled up loads in defence
Midfield played a strong diamond with Cormly at the base
Used the space well
Played with tempo when required
Stopped the opponent playing
Had some leadership evident from a few players

This week.......?

None of the above on a constant basis.

Crewe's back 4 did a good job on us and overall they broke our game up well too, but they where not world beaters and half of last week's performance would have got us a win or a draw at least today. They also must have had us scouted at Luton last week as they kept Chambers and Vose in places where they could not hurt them for most of the game. Also at 1 - 0 down we should just have focussed on passing the ball, keeping it and thus generating some rhythm. We needed leadership today when we where behind, I would not bet against Dis making his 600 game at Mansfield next week which would be quite apt.

Not nice to watch as we gave the game away with some ineptitude but a reality check all the same....... Take the learnings and move on.

Officials where poor today but we did not help ourselves either !

UTM!
!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 73
ginnywings
September 17, 2016, 9:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Think Crewe are a very good side and certainly ahead of us at the moment. Well drilled, well organised and just had more nous than us. I don't think we played badly, they just never let us get into any rhythm at all. Bogle lost the plot for a while when things didn't go his way and that summed up the game really, as they just nullified us all over the pitch. We hardly got behind them all game and i don't think we got a corner until the second half. I don't think any change of formation or personnel would have made much difference and i'm struggling to remember the last time i saw us beat Crewe, possibly the 90's at their place? Having had some good performances in recent weeks, the crowd was back up over 5000 again and it's a shame we couldn't reward them and keep them coming back.

No complaints about the result and it was a decent game, far better than losing at home to Braintree or Dover, having seen them park the bus for 90 mins. Crewe deserved the win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 73
gb
September 17, 2016, 9:32pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +36
Started poor and should have been 3 nil down within 35 mins. Had a couple of minutes of playing football looked okay then resorted back to kicking the ball long! We get within a minute of half time and summerfield decides to what can only be described as a shocking game management, he plays a blind pass back to a cb that is 5 yards short and we concede. We are a minute away from half time and all we have done all half is lump the ball forward but no we change that plan which costs us. Gowling and Pearson both showed reason why they're football league players but then quickly showed why they won't be for long unless they change their game. Both think they're footballing gods and have forgot what they're good at DEFENDING!! Gowling could've been sent off 4 times today he was that bad/sluggish and rash decisions. I think Andrew is a massive weak point. He can't defend/gets caught out of position way too much like he did for the first goal today. The front two got annoyed at the lack of service and the ref and then stopped trying in my opinion. Vose is a class above but today only had a couple of opportunities to show it due to the midfield being bypassed at every opportunity. Worst thing for me today was that Crew are not much better than us but did the basics a lot better today. Never mind onto Mansfield and look for 3 points.  Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 73
Tommy
September 17, 2016, 9:55pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
If ever a performance could be described as lacklustre that was it.

We weren't awful and Crewe weren't great either. But we never got our game going and gifted them 2 goals really, whilst they were solid and very well organised.

Howler from Summerfield for their first, and for the second they had a man over at the back post so could see it coming before the cross went in. Was a definite pen conceded by Gowling and I couldn't quite see our shout for a pen on Tuton but the whole Pontoon seemed up in arms so must have been a decent shout.

I'd have left Vose on since we needed to create something. Would have brought Chambers off who puts a shift in more so than any winger we've had in recent years but he doesn't look like he's going to score if he plays every game from now until May.

The front two's heads were gone after about an hour when Tuton was being constantly (correctly) flagged offside and Bogle was giving cheap fouls away and moaning like hell to the ref until he got booked.

People saying Disley could've come on for Summerfield but I'd have put Berrett on in there and get him on the ball centrally.

We keep learning and we'll keep moving forward as a team/squad.

Looking at the table, of the 8 games we've played, 6 have been against teams in the top half of the table and only 2 against teams in the bottom 12.

UTM.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 73
HertsGTFC
September 17, 2016, 10:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from gb
Started poor and should have been 3 nil down within 35 mins. Had a couple of minutes of playing football looked okay then resorted back to kicking the ball long! We get within a minute of half time and summerfield decides to what can only be described as a shocking game management, he plays a blind pass back to a cb that is 5 yards short and we concede. We are a minute away from half time and all we have done all half is lump the ball forward but no we change that plan which costs us. Gowling and Pearson both showed reason why they're football league players but then quickly showed why they won't be for long unless they change their game. Both think they're footballing gods and have forgot what they're good at DEFENDING!! Gowling could've been sent off 4 times today he was that bad/sluggish and rash decisions. I think Andrew is a massive weak point. He can't defend/gets caught out of position way too much like he did for the first goal today. The front two got annoyed at the lack of service and the ref and then stopped trying in my opinion. Vose is a class above but today only had a couple of opportunities to show it due to the midfield being bypassed at every opportunity. Worst thing for me today was that Crew are not much better than us but did the basics a lot better today. Never mind onto Mansfield and look for 3 points.  Utm

Seems about right to me .......?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 73
Grimbiggs
September 17, 2016, 10:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Poor performance against a half decent Crewe side, who apart for 10 mins when the subs came on, pressed and outpassed us for most of the game. I'm sure they'll be play-off contenders, as they'll be hard to break down away from home and are well-drilled and organised. We're certainly going to has to adapt better to blustery conditions at home though, as theres going to be plenty more of these over the coming winter months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 73
ginnywings
September 17, 2016, 10:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
The difference between us and Crewe is that they concede very few goals and don't have to score 2 to get anything from the game. At the moment, you feel we need to score a couple to get a point or three. Need to tighten up if we are to have a successful season and i wouldn't be surprised to see some defensive changes coming up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.