arryarryarry
September 18, 2016, 9:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MarinerRob
I agree that Crewe were very well organised and played the ball on the ground with confidence but for the gift of a goal in 1st half injury time and the mix up for the second goal with failing to clear the ball then a draw could have been on the cards. Having said that I think that Town didn't play that well but they were not total rubbish.

I thought to myself on the way home that it was a bit of a reality check and then read later that others felt the same. We won the 1st game, then lost three on the trot before the good form in the last three. Many, including myself, were feeling a little more comfortable. This game shows that you have to be on the 'ball' all the time and not to expect things to happen. Just feel, like many, if the defence could tighten up so that we don't have to score so many goals to get anything out of the game would be a big step forward.

Have there been many that said we were "total rubbish"? I said it was the poorest we have played and Paul Hurst said the same.

As for the defence, I feel we are tightening up, yes the second goal was sloppy but I felt there was a foul on Summerfield when the first cross came in, as for the first you can't blame the defence when we give away sloppy passes like that in the middle of the park.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 73
Mariner_09
September 18, 2016, 9:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
I honestly believed Hursty's plan vis a vis the centre halves was to re-sign Toto and then sign someone else to play alongside him. Therefore Hursty has had to make do with a partnership that wasn't first choice in the Conference. Gowling had played ok yesterday until that mindless handball which he got away with. I suspect Collins will come in for him because despite his lack of footballing ability and mobility Pearson has looked much more comfortable than Gowling. I predicted yesterday as we were going along too nicely and I think the recent publicity got to Omar's head so hopefully yesterday acted as a wake up call to him as well. Hoping McAllister will be fit next week, Comley looks capable but I thought he too often pressed the ball and sold himself too easily maybe McAllister next to him and Omar up front by himself will help everybody. I thought Tuton was good at Notts County but quite poor yesterday. He was always offside and got himself aerated after the non penalty all this culminated in him being substituted.

However, having studied him more closely, Andrew seems increasingly suspect to me, gets caught of position and loses his man too regularly and also plays lots of aimless cross field balls. Looks like a Conference player.

I thought Vose looked pretty on the ball but lacked quality in the final third and too often seemed to forget how to pass. Chambers was our most effective out field player yesterday he had a bit of quality and ran at his man causing a small amoung of indecision every now and then.

McKeown, I'm not sure where this criticism is cominh from, he kept us in it for periods, he also controlled his area better and saved a penalty, two things he's been correctly critised for in the past in my opinion. We'd struggle to find better at this level with a non ridiculous budget.

Summerfield was poor, he couldn't pass wind and could easily have given special gift wrap on more occasions. Looked good in the past month but poor yesterday expecting better next week.

Tombola and Jackson looked lively and effective yesterday, Tombola even showed some willingness to beat a man and guile, something we lacked bar Chambers yesterday.

Davies was solid if unspectacular which is what I expected of him from the word go.

Thought Hursty gave a very honest and considered interview so he should expect a good response next week.

Crewe - good, organised side who has quality going forward when necessary too, wouldn't be surprised if they were promoted.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 73
marinerrick
September 19, 2016, 7:36am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +52
I felt that playing with a back four albeit Andrew nd Davies pushing forward may have worked. Maybe a 3-5-2 would of worked better with Collins,person and gowling. Andrew and Davies pushing forward a bit. I rate Tuton as a player however just wasn't quick enough against quick back line like there was on sat. Jackson would may have been a better choice than Tuton against quicker defence. Still an enjoyable game though. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 73
diehardmariner
September 19, 2016, 10:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 520
Crewe were as good as we'll see this season.  They came here and did a proper number on us.  More energy, better organised, effective use of the ball in possession and two very experienced league strikers who ripped our relatively inexperienced defence apart with their cute movement.

On the occasions they did lose possession and we tried to hit them on the break, they were back in formation and shape before we blinked.

Mistakes cost us but we never really looked like doing anything all game.  Penalty shout was a good one but I don't think we even deserved a goal, such was the gulf between the sides.

Biggest complaint was that we persisted with the ball over the top tactic for either Bogle or Tuton to chase onto.  Very obvious from the early minutes that their back four were more than quick enough to deal with that.  Yet our only variation to that was to include Chambers in options to chase down.  For me we never got Vose involved enough, he was the only player out there who was a little bit different to the out-and-out speed.  Would liked to have seen him brought further inside to hurt them with his creativity.   Bolinarwa made a a difference when he came on on because he ran at them rather than trying to chase loose balls down but he came on for the wrong man in my opinion.

Defensively we need to sharpen up quickly.  Gowling is having a nightmare at the minute and could have little complaint if his place is taken by Collins next week.  Weakest performance I've seen so far from Danny Andrew too, very under par.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 73
Cloudy
September 19, 2016, 12:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from diehardmariner
Crewe were as good as we'll see this season.  They came here and did a proper number on us.  More energy, better organised, effective use of the ball in possession and two very experienced league strikers who ripped our relatively inexperienced defence apart with their cute movement.

On the occasions they did lose possession and we tried to hit them on the break, they were back in formation and shape before we blinked.

Mistakes cost us but we never really looked like doing anything all game.  Penalty shout was a good one but I don't think we even deserved a goal, such was the gulf between the sides.

Biggest complaint was that we persisted with the ball over the top tactic for either Bogle or Tuton to chase onto.  Very obvious from the early minutes that their back four were more than quick enough to deal with that.  Yet our only variation to that was to include Chambers in options to chase down.  For me we never got Vose involved enough, he was the only player out there who was a little bit different to the out-and-out speed.  Would liked to have seen him brought further inside to hurt them with his creativity.   Bolinarwa made a a difference when he came on on because he ran at them rather than trying to chase loose balls down but he came on for the wrong man in my opinion.

Defensively we need to sharpen up quickly.  Gowling is having a nightmare at the minute and could have little complaint if his place is taken by Collins next week.  Weakest performance I've seen so far from Danny Andrew too, very under par.

I thought Crewe were decent BUT i think there will be better sides than them in this league. Yes they beat us fair and square but I am not convinced they are the all conquering side you are making out.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 73
Pastandpresent
September 19, 2016, 12:32pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -226
As stated Crewe weren't good I think we played into there hands with the long ball over the top I believe if we had tried to play out to the wings we would have had some joy not sure Andrews is good enough doesn't want to build up play hits it long far to much which takes vose out of the game where I believe they could build up some good combination if he tried
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 73
lowerfindus
September 19, 2016, 12:37pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
We didn't do the basics. Poor performances in midfield against a solid but unspectacular crewe side.  Ball over the top over used and Vose not utilised well.

Perhaps Comely, who looked excellent in his first couple of games was suffering a little from the illness reported this week.

Frustrating but nothing on those terrible home performances against part time hoofers in the conference.  

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 73
rancido
September 19, 2016, 12:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
We are obviously playing against better players this season. This league will have teams with better organised set-ups and game plans. In the Conference most of the teams came to BP and parked the bus - players with limited ability can easily follow that kind of approach. In this league we will see more closing down and sides better able to keep their shape. We have seen us doing this as well and the more this squad trains and plays together, the easier it will be for them to counteract opposition tactics.
I fully expected to see town suffer a few more home defeats this season, but I have not seen us completely outplayed. Most of the goals I have seen us concede so far have been the result of us " shooting ourselves in the foot " and not down to opposing teams completely outplaying us. At this stage of the season I would have liked to have seen 3 or 4 more points on the board but I think we are in a fairly decent position and the game against Luton showed that we are more than capable of doing well at this level.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 73
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2016, 2:00pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He played a long cross field pass to Omar just before the disallowed goal which absolutely picked a hole in their defence, not only did he have the skill to do it he also had the vision and brains, similar pass made to Chambers in the 2nd half which could have resulted in something really good. Next week I would put Vose and Cormley in the middle and have Chambers and Bolarinwas out wide.  

F.A.O. Grammar Nerds: Isn't this called the Grimbarian Superfluous Plural Indicator? See Woods, Bradley, Cummings,Bobby.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 73
HertsGTFC
September 19, 2016, 7:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from KingstonMariner

F.A.O. Grammar Nerds: Isn't this called the Grimbarian Superfluous Plural Indicator? See Woods, Bradley, Cummings,Bobby.  

WTF are you talking about.........?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.