6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
July 24, 2016, 2:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
It would appear that one thing PH has done is brought in some pace which if he has to plat one up front (which I personally don't like) will make a real difference.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 55
buckstown
July 24, 2016, 2:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
I haven't seen any pre season games so only commenting based on reports and just back threads. Someone earlier said if you cant keep a clean sheet and struggle to score you're in trouble so I'm slightly concerned. Having said that my only aspiration this year is to stay up. After 6 years in the conference we cannot under any circumstances go back, and if we aren't in a relegation battle that will be bonus. After that I trust PH to build a promotion side in the next two years.
Another concern is that three of our potential starting eleven were relegated out of this league by a mile last year so I hope they have mental strength.
I'm sure PH will get it right but we'll need patience this year. Remember none of the teams promoted from the conference have gone straight through league two for a while so it has to be a stronger league than when we left it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 55
The Yard Dog
July 24, 2016, 2:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,500
Gold Stars: 74
We have learned one thing already - we will struggle to score goals unless another[/b] Amond or Connell[b] appears pretty soon.

Neither of them had good scoring records in the league, only had a good season in the tin pot league.

We be lucky to find a striker that going to score 30+ goals in league 2, a really good return in league 2 would be around the 17-25.

Last season's leading goalscorer was Matty Taylor with 27 and only 3 other players broke the 20 goal barrier Jay Simpson 25, John Akinde 23 & Lyle Taylor 22 the next best 18 goals with 20 players scoring between 11-17 goals.

So we need a couple of the strikers to be scoring in the region of 15 goals each, provided our defence does not leak too many goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
tintowner
July 24, 2016, 2:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from buckstown
I haven't seen any pre season games so only commenting based on reports and just back threads. Someone earlier said if you cant keep a clean sheet and struggle to score you're in trouble so I'm slightly concerned. Having said that my only aspiration this year is to stay up. After 6 years in the conference we cannot under any circumstances go back, and if we aren't in a relegation battle that will be bonus. After that I trust PH to build a promotion side in the next two years.
Another concern is that three of our potential starting eleven were relegated out of this league by a mile last year so I hope they have mental strength.
I'm sure PH will get it right but we'll need patience this year. [/b]Remember none of the teams promoted from the conference have gone straight through league two for a while[b] so it has to be a stronger league than when we left it

Bristol Rovers last season....cough cough

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 55
buckstown
July 24, 2016, 2:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
God it's kicking in already. Can I get away with hardly any teams go straight through??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 55
LostInSpace
July 24, 2016, 7:45pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +115
Quoted from tintowner

Bristol Rovers last season....cough cough

and we got stuffed 5-1 ,home to Swansea saturday.... and like a lot of the fans on here its like are we good enough !!! IT IS A FRIENDLY after all.. any way GOOD LUCK to you guys in the coming season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
EY Mariner
July 24, 2016, 11:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Yesterday was my first chance to look at the team in pre-season and, despite the result, I was fairly encouraged with what I saw, particularly against a side who were always going to be right up for the game following the dressing down they got from their manager for losing to Halifax in the week.

I share the concern about being light up front at the moment, but I thought the link-up between Bogle and Jackson showed potential. Greater physical presence is needed, but that also has to be balanced against the threat that the pace and movement that they and, from what I've heard, Bolarinwa in particular can pose to opposition defenders. At this stage, I'm not too concerned about our back line, despite the errors of yesterday. Any side that has Billy Sharp in it will always carry an attacking threat after all.

For me, like Buckstown, the first priority is safety from relegation and anything after that is a bonus. The fact Hurst is undertaking such a dramatic revamp of the team means things will take time to gel. But it also suggests to me that he won't be satisfied with just surviving.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 55
arryarryarry
July 25, 2016, 12:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from HertsGTFC
It would appear that one thing PH has done is brought in some pace which if he has to plat one up front (which I personally don't like) will make a real difference.

Playing one person up front who apparently is one of the fastest players in the league provided diddly squat in the 1st half.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 55
oldun
July 25, 2016, 9:47am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from arryarryarry

Playing one person up front who apparently is one of the fastest players in the league provided diddly squat in the 1st half.

Yes because none of the midfield players got up top or into the area to support him. Also we were not able to play any natural wingers to provide more attacking options.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 55
Garth
July 25, 2016, 10:26am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from oldun

Yes because none of the midfield players got up top or into the area to support him. Also we were not able to play any natural wingers to provide more attacking options.

This sounds a bit presumptive this early in the grand plan but if Bolarinwar had have been fit he would have supported Jackson,  and we would have been more of a threat.

I think in Boiarinwar and Jackson along with Bogle we are a threat to any team, its just what system do you play to incorporate all three.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › some will say its only pre season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.