6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
July 24, 2016, 8:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Not scoring goals....have looked all over the place at the back....a recipe for disaster.

Toto's strength and pace has not been adequately replaced and neither have Podge's goals

Defence are playing deeper...so are the midfield...isolating the loan striker....
With the likes of Tombola,Brown and Jackson i think we have players who can make the system work but i doubt hurst will start two of
them and Bogle and play
offensively .... he has already been accommodating Berrett
in a wide position....

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 55
Hagrid
July 24, 2016, 8:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,383
Gold Stars: 532
Stick sunmerfield up top, seems to like scoring😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
headingly_mariner
July 24, 2016, 9:36am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
I'm definitely a little worried about how pedestrian and weak we are in the middle of the park, but that is something I expect Hurst to sort swiftly as his teams have always been at the very least competitive. The midfield have left the back 4 seriously exposed. The team haven't settled into the system yet, but we have signed he players to play that way and it can be a really exciting way to play.
It is preseason and I expect more effort and more fire in the tackles as we come to the real stuff. We still need a few players before the big kick off, another central striker would be a priority for me.
This season is different as all the teams will be stuck with the players they sign until January with no additions, this means good coaching and getting the best out of players is key.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
chaos33
July 24, 2016, 9:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from moosey_club
Not scoring goals....have looked all over the place at the back....a recipe for disaster.

Toto's strength and pace has not been adequately replaced and neither have Podge's goals

Defence are playing deeper...so are the midfield...isolating the loan striker....
With the likes of Tombola,Brown and Jackson i think we have players who can make the system work but i doubt hurst will start two of
them and Bogle and play
offensively .... he has already been accommodating Berrett
in a wide position....

I think you are right about Podge and Toto, and I've had the same thoughts generally. The presence of the old 'square pegs' tactics is disappointing.I don't think the overall situation looks overly encouraging on that basis. I would add that Chambers looks to have been signed about 3 seasons too late. He's not as good as Arnold and has an awful lot to prove. Don't think he's really done much to make us think he can be a force even in games against lower placed opposition. And, even though we've got about 6 centre midfielders, have we actually got the player we were all calling out for - a driving force; someone who can dictate play and is mobile enough to get from box to box and score goals? I'd say the two players signed from York have also got a lot to prove this season.

Hard to know how good the overall standard will be in L2 and I'm hopeful we can stay out of trouble, but for me we are still perhaps 4 quality players short of a more convincing team.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
HertsGTFC
July 24, 2016, 9:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
I have not been to any pre season games but will be going next Saturday versus Oldham. So to summerise what I am reading is that despite the results PH is using these games to identify his best formation, who's match fit, which players work well together and how he might start versus Morecombe .which is exactly what he should be doing. Sometimes it has worked sometimes it has not.

I think as ever we will possibly have a slow start like we did in 14/15 when he signed Brown, McKreth, Toto, Magnay, Clay etc... and we did not win until the 4th game. I would not want to wait for the 4th game for 3 points but recognise we need to manage the expectation a bit at least during August.

Clearly we still need a couple of additions and that no doubt will come but July 23rd is not the time to get too worried, I am sure there wll be some high spots and some lows in the next 8 months but I am 110% convinced we will be o.k. come the end of the season. "o.k." for me is finishing anywhere between 15th and 10th and getting to the 3rd round of the FA cup, sounds like a lack of ambition I know but over the last few years I would have gladly taken that every time.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
Grantley
July 24, 2016, 9:48am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Pre-season 15/16: P10 W10

First 10 games of 15/16 season: P10 W4 D4 L2

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
chaos33
July 24, 2016, 9:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
I don't think the results are what people are reflecting on mate. I think they are looking at shape, players, recurring themes etc.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
Grantley
July 24, 2016, 9:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
I know that. I'm just saying that people shouldn't look at pre-season as to how the season will pan out. Heck, there's 7 new guaranteed new starters when the season starts. Was that situation avoidable by Hurst? Yes. But it was painfully obvious that the new needed an overhaul. Last season, as a team, we were painfully slow and relied a lot on a single tactic.

I'd also argue that had Gowling, Pearson and Mckeown not been so terrible yesterday, the game would've been a lot tighter and people would have looked at it differently. I'm yet to see Dan Jones play, so I'd like to see what adding some pace to centre half brings.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
chaos33
July 24, 2016, 10:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Yep fair enough mate.

I do actually think that the 4-5-1 variation can be a useful tactic for us in certain away games next season, but think we are in need of an improvement at centre back and centre mid in order to make it pay for us. Have we looked difficult to break down in any of the pre season games?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
UFindusMariner
July 24, 2016, 10:21am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +172
I personally believe Hurst wants to go for the 4-3-3 formation that worked so well towards the end of the season. I know he has tried different formations etc throughout the pre-season but it is a good time to test and try.

I would expect 4-3-3 with a holding player, a hard worker and a ball player as the 3 in the middle. Bogle, Jackson and Bolawinra as the front 3. I believe this would allow us to play with width, pace and excitement.

Hopefully we will put in a good performance on Wednesday against Gainsborough before topping it off with a convincing display against Oldham before the curtain raiser.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › some will say its only pre season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.