This thread currently has 8,708 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
July 23, 2016, 5:26pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Not too worried about the scoreline when you think about the quality of the opposition we were playing ( i.e. Billy Sharpe )

Having said that the lack of a big target man was painfully obvious today in my opinion.

Trouble at mill, now that I don't miss.

UTM

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
oldun
July 23, 2016, 5:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
3-1 to Sheffield. A true reflection. We were second best. With the 1 up top formation, I cannot see where goals will come from, regardless of who is the 1 up there. We string passes together in midfield but too many in our half. The midfield players have to get forward more. Second half 442 did give us a bigger presence in their half but could not create too much. No threat from wide areas. The new striker looks decent but he is not a target man and cannot head the ball, but he is quick and took up some good positions. Plenty for PH to work on. If only we had a Billy Sharp.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 38
Sigone
July 23, 2016, 5:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
What to make of that...not a lot really, outplayed in every department.  No tempo at all, and it wouldn't of mattered what formation was played when players show a lack of commitment.  Positives...er we can be a lot better than that, that's all i can think of.  Still we are still joint top of the league so that's good bit disappointed by the town fans turn out the ponny looked empty  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 38
Davec
July 23, 2016, 5:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,442
Gold Stars: 42
We do certainly still lack something up front, many crosses went across the box but nobody was there to convert
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 38
jimgtfc
July 23, 2016, 6:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,086
Gold Stars: 45
Don't get the lack of commitment comment at all, we were just outclassed by a better side. Yes we weren't tactically or skilfully good enough but I think to question commitment is an easy cheap shot.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 38
Sigone
July 23, 2016, 6:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Maybe i should clarify my commitment comment seen as though i didn't do a very good job of it before , dont have a problem with us today when we didn't have the ball they all worked hard.  But when we got the ball no forward movement, no desire to give the guy an angle to pass.  I agree sheff u were very good and seemed to me like they had an extra man.  Still its only pre-season, and i really didn't expect us to really function fully as a unit till 10-15 games in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 38
AndyGTFC
July 23, 2016, 6:31pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
As poor as we were, we were completely outclassed by a Sheffield United side that looked impressive and will probably be challenging at the top of League One so it's difficult to judge anything really.

If we play like that in two weeks' time then I'll be concerned, but until then, we're still playing glorified fitness exercises.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 38
Tommy
July 23, 2016, 6:34pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Some neat and tidy bits of football that, with Bolarinwa & Browne wide areas, could have got us into some good positions. Berrett isn't a wide player so was a bit one-paced in the first half, not his fault.

Also, I touched on it in another thread but I worry about us at centre half this season. We haven't replaced Toto with another strong and mobile defender. Any time Gowling & Pearson were turned facing our own goal today we looked in trouble. This is going to be our achilles heel as far as I can see. And we'll either get exposed for pace (you could see a 1v1 with Macca coming a mile off as soon we were left 3v3 for their 3rd) regularly or we'll be forced to defend very deep to accommodate this shortcoming.

Ignoring how much we like Shaun Pearson, he couldn't get in our conference side last year but is probably now first choice. And that's through us not signing anyone good enough, not SP improving during his summer holidays.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 38
SteffiMariner
July 23, 2016, 6:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Gowling looked at fault for all three goals. Another couple of forwards and a centre half still needed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 38
headingly_mariner
July 23, 2016, 6:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
That was really shite, not convinced at all by any of the midfield, they look half decent on the ball, but totally pedestrian. Berret looks the best of him, vose and summerfield. Summerfield can play, but I really hope he has more desire and a little more mobile when the real stuff comes. Liked the look of Jackson, but he didn't really have any support till Bogle came on.
My worries about what I've seen preseason is that we aren't competitive or mobile enough in the middle of the park and we don't score enough goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 38
Garth
July 23, 2016, 6:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Thought we played OK, its just that they were better and looked more of a team against our individuals, two mistakes cost us the game, although the score was not that important.

We have to face the fact that this season will bring more upsets and disappointments than last season, the quality is better and it shows, they were a lot stronger in the tackle to win the ball back than we were, some good points though Pearson had a strong game as did the new lad and Omar looked a threat without troubling their keeper, Summerfield`s goal was well taken and was probably the goal of the match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
Madeleymariner
July 23, 2016, 6:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,052
Gold Stars: 49
Just watched the goals on youtube, shocking defending-wheres the midfielder that should be protecting the back four (a term I am using quite loosely).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
jimgtfc
July 23, 2016, 6:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,086
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Sigone
Maybe i should clarify my commitment comment seen as though i didn't do a very good job of it before , dont have a problem with us today when we didn't have the ball they all worked hard.  But when we got the ball no forward movement, no desire to give the guy an angle to pass.  I agree sheff u were very good and seemed to me like they had an extra man.  Still its only pre-season, and i really didn't expect us to really function fully as a unit till 10-15 games in.

Agree with the lack of movement, don't think Berret is a natural wide player and doesn't offer the width and pace you'd get from a Bolarinwa or a Browne. Not Berretts fault though who I actually like and for me would play in a midfield 3 with Vose dropping out.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
Mrbump53
July 23, 2016, 7:18pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
Their second goal was the luck of the bounce just happened to go straight to their player at the right height after being blocked. We were outplayed mostly but it still is pre season and that they are a league above. Early days to start with the negativity! The guy behind the goal who verbally laid into McKeown was bang out of order and fully deserved the response he got back!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
Garth
July 23, 2016, 7:37pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Mrbump53
Their second goal was the luck of the bounce just happened to go straight to their player at the right height after being blocked. We were outplayed mostly but it still is pre season and that they are a league above. Early days to start with the negativity! The guy behind the goal who verbally laid into McKeown was bang out of order and fully deserved the response he got back!

Agree its only a friendly FFS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
immariner
July 23, 2016, 8:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Garth
[/b]

Agree its only a friendly FFS

The meaningfulness of the game is irrelevant, it shouldn't happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
golfer
July 23, 2016, 8:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
I seem to remember us outplaying Shrewsbury home and away. If our team is better after all the "kick bottom out " surely we are going to urine this league [ not ]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
Mendonca1995
July 23, 2016, 8:43pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
I don't know what sort of formation we are looking for at present but it was plain to see when we went with two strikers second half it did start to work but today showed we are crying out for a target man as we never held the ball up or won a header up top all game some good things to come out of the game Andrews getting better and better but some shockers too gowling for one who I do rate had a bit of a nightmare and I'm yet to see anything from chambers I'm not quite sure what he offers us,in the write up when he signed it mentioned bags of pace skill and direct play I haven't seen him go on one run or take a man on yet in the games I've seen him ??? Hope it's just early days for him and he does improve,all in all good test for us though and the difference in class showed in the end with billy sharp he was the best player on the pitch by a country mile UTM

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
Grim74
July 23, 2016, 9:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
I hope this isn't the start of things to come this 433 obsession of Hurst just doesn't work for him let it go FFS

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
Grimbiggs
July 23, 2016, 9:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
I was sat in front of promotion plaice, and we both agreed we lack a strong target men, together with the central midfield, which just comprised of two younger versions of Disley, terriers that just run all day..we are going to need far more creativity, width (wingers), pace at the back, together with somebody with the ability of Billy Sharp, if we are going to compete for promotion....i know it's early days, but either Sheffield Utd are very good ( could of been double figures,with a couple of strong penalty appeals) and are going to be pushing for promotion, or we are very bad... anyway be postive, it was only a friendly, keep believing, things can only get better...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
promotion plaice
July 23, 2016, 9:51pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from Grimbiggs
I was sat in front of promotion plaice, and we both agreed we lack a strong target men, together with the central midfield, which just comprised of two younger versions of Disley, terriers that just run alll day..we are going to need far more creativity, width (wingers), together with pace at the back, together with somebody with the ability of Billy Sharp, if we are going to compete for promotion....i know it's early days, but either Sheffield Utd are very good ( could of been double figures,with a couple of strong penalty appeals ) and are going to be pushing for promotion, or we are very bad... anyway be postive, it was only a friendly, keep believing, things can only get better...

Not sure about that Paul but yeah

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
arryarryarry
July 23, 2016, 10:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Very poor first half tactics for me, the long punt to Jackson was a complete waste of time, no idea what Paul Hurst was thinking about.

That must be the worst performance by Gowling in a Town shirt, Davies looked poor as did most of the midfield, Vose looks pretty on the ball but not much end product. I cant remember one good thing that Chambers did.

Having seen every friendly so far, beginning to worry where the goals are going to come from and we look like conceding every game.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
Tangerine Chris
July 24, 2016, 8:05am
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
Sheff U have an established team that played together last season, Town have replace the majority of the team, and have been playing together for only a few weeks.  The sooner we get a goalscorer the better, as it does not look like Bogle knows where the goal is at the moment

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
topuphere666
July 24, 2016, 8:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
The lack of creativity is worrying! The midfield is also a concern. It doesn't look strong enough going forward and not protecting the back 4 like it did last season!

Hopefully another forward player, wide player and maybe a centre half coming in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
Bignic69
July 24, 2016, 8:55am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
In fairness to our midfield, it looked like sheff utds focal point was turning the ball over in the centre circle and they were decent at it imo. I was sat close to the dugouts and was listening to their gaffer, whilst we had the ball at the back he was fairly calm but once the ball went into midfield/towards the half way line he was screaming at his players to win the ball and encouraging them to hunt in packs. Looked fairly effective to me as we were forced to make wayward passes throughout the game.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
Grim74
July 24, 2016, 11:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Why was we now in our home shirt seeing as we was the home team? Could this be more contempt from Hurst to us fans.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
dapperz fun pub
July 24, 2016, 12:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Grim74
Why was we now in our home shirt seeing as we was the home team? Could this be more contempt from Hurst to us fans.

It was a friendly don't read too much into shirt choice however if we don't play in stripes at Gainsborough it's definitely a pop
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
Grimal
July 24, 2016, 12:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Grim74

I would think it's more to do with any fans watching the highlights on mariner player, if we wore the stripes they would clash with sheffields shirts for anyone viewing on a black and white screen.         This would be more likely than your thoughts of contempt by PH.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
Hertsmariner
July 24, 2016, 4:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
Hopefully, this was just a demonstration of 'work still in progress' for Town's new-look team. However, the gulf in class here was huge. Sheffield moved the ball around quickly and accurately, hunted in packs and always seemed to have players to spare in oceans of space when they won possession. Apart from about 10 minutes or so at the beginning of the second half, when Town moved the ball more quickly, we were much too slow and hesitant in possession. That said, Wilder made lots of substitutions in the second half, so Sheffield had lots of fresh legs out there on a hot and humid day. By contrast, Hurst made every attempt to give most of the side the full 90 minutes, presumably to improve stamina, but most looked very tired by the closing stages. Like some others on here, I think central defence, without a quick, do-or-die, body-in-the-way, replacement for Toto, looks especially vulnerable, though this is not helped by the absence of a determined screen in defensive midfield. And at present, I don't see where the goals are going to come from at the opposite end. Jackson tried his best but support for him was all but absent. He rolled a 'delicious' cross across the box late in the second half but not a single player was up in support to convert. We must do better than this.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
golfer
July 24, 2016, 4:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Have been unable to see any of the pre season games so I am unable to give an opinion , but can't remember anybody giving a report that Town

played well.The only feedback appears to be that we need another G.K. to give Macca competition,the midfield is too slow and nobody is creative

enough to link defence with the forwards, the forwards can't head a ball, we are not suited to 4-4-2 ,4-3-3, 4-3-2-1 , we need a robust forward who

can hold the ball up,as long as we start playing well after 10-15 games satisfied if we dont get relegated. These are supposed to be a better quality player, please let me know if they are better than what we had at the start of last season. From your reports [ not mine ] it appears that there are a few doubters. I am only asking the question because I haven't seen them yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
oldun
July 24, 2016, 4:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I think many of the new players have a bit more skill on the ball than those that were here last season but they are  struggling to work out their roles in the new system. They lose shape and position which leaves gaps for the opposition. Often midfield players get too close together and in each other's way, both trying to play the same ball. If we play 1 up top then some midfielders have to get into the box to support and create a threat. No one is doing the Nolan role at present. I noticed a lot of the instruction from Hurst and Doig on Sat related to positions they wanted players to take up. Clearly on a learning curve so a bit early to criticise individual players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
Davec
July 24, 2016, 5:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
I think Berrett could do the Jon Nolan job but he needs to be in the centre, can't do that out wide
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
Davec
July 24, 2016, 5:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
I think Berrett could do the Jon Nolan job but he needs to be in the centre, can't do that out wide
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
Mallyner
July 24, 2016, 6:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Grimal

I would think it's more to do with any fans watching the highlights on mariner player, if we wore the stripes they would clash with sheffields shirts for anyone viewing on a black and white screen.         This would be more likely than your thoughts of contempt by PH.

For those watching in black and white, Grimsby Town were in grey.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
OllieGTFC
July 24, 2016, 6:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Nothing to do with game this but I hope we don't keep wearing the grey kit at home  most games

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
Abdul19
July 24, 2016, 7:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216
Im predicting fairly confidently that we'll never wear it in  a proper home game

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
KingstonMariner
July 24, 2016, 8:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Grimal

That would be fine if we were playing at Bramhall Lane, but we were the home side so if anyone changed it should have been them.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
lew chaterleys lover
July 24, 2016, 8:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from golfer
Have been unable to see any of the pre season games so I am unable to give an opinion , but can't remember anybody giving a report that Town

played well.The only feedback appears to be that we need another G.K. to give Macca competition,the midfield is too slow and nobody is creative

enough to link defence with the forwards, the forwards can't head a ball, we are not suited to 4-4-2 ,4-3-3, 4-3-2-1 , we need a robust forward who

can hold the ball up,as long as we start playing well after 10-15 games satisfied if we dont get relegated. These are supposed to be a better quality player, please let me know if they are better than what we had at the start of last season. From your reports [ not mine ] it appears that there are a few doubters. I am only asking the question because I haven't seen them yet.

I saw the new team for the first time on Saturday and if I was going to comment on that one performance I would say we should be concerned. We didn't seem to know what we were trying to do to be honest; one up front was just that - one - with nobody getting up there to join in. I thought the players were technically good, but we need the 2 speedy wingers we signed fit and raring to go to give us some oomph (technical term from FA coaching course). At the start of the second half it was better with Bogle and the new lad up front.

But, and it is a huge but, last pre season I thought we had a fantastic team; the best we have had for a long time and I thought we would win the league. It turned out ok in the end, but it just goes to show pre season doesn't really mean a thing. We will just have to wait and see how it pans out, but I really hope they knit together quickly enough to give us a reasonable start when the season starts.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
rancido
July 25, 2016, 7:53pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Pre-season games brings the players fitness up to an acceptable level in a match situation against other players. It  gives PH the chance to try different styles, assess players strengths and weaknesses in a match situation. It is also a " bonding exercise " in helping to integrate new players to the squad. We , as fans , don't know what PH has in his mind when he assembles a squad for a " friendly " and as such can only judge what we see as a game. He will be looking at other things on the pitch and although no-one likes to lose I'm sure PH will be getting a better idea of what his players have to offer. I seem to recall when I started watching town in the mid 1960's we only played about three or four friendlies , usually against league opposition, and well into the pre-season period.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.