This thread currently has 8,701 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
oldun
July 24, 2016, 4:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I think many of the new players have a bit more skill on the ball than those that were here last season but they are  struggling to work out their roles in the new system. They lose shape and position which leaves gaps for the opposition. Often midfield players get too close together and in each other's way, both trying to play the same ball. If we play 1 up top then some midfielders have to get into the box to support and create a threat. No one is doing the Nolan role at present. I noticed a lot of the instruction from Hurst and Doig on Sat related to positions they wanted players to take up. Clearly on a learning curve so a bit early to criticise individual players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
Davec
July 24, 2016, 5:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
I think Berrett could do the Jon Nolan job but he needs to be in the centre, can't do that out wide
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
Davec
July 24, 2016, 5:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
I think Berrett could do the Jon Nolan job but he needs to be in the centre, can't do that out wide
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
Mallyner
July 24, 2016, 6:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,507
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Grimal

I would think it's more to do with any fans watching the highlights on mariner player, if we wore the stripes they would clash with sheffields shirts for anyone viewing on a black and white screen.         This would be more likely than your thoughts of contempt by PH.

For those watching in black and white, Grimsby Town were in grey.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
OllieGTFC
July 24, 2016, 6:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Nothing to do with game this but I hope we don't keep wearing the grey kit at home  most games

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
Abdul19
July 24, 2016, 7:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Im predicting fairly confidently that we'll never wear it in  a proper home game

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
KingstonMariner
July 24, 2016, 8:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Grimal

I would think it's more to do with any fans watching the highlights on mariner player, if we wore the stripes they would clash with sheffields shirts for anyone viewing on a black and white screen.         This would be more likely than your thoughts of contempt by PH.

That would be fine if we were playing at Bramhall Lane, but we were the home side so if anyone changed it should have been them.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
lew chaterleys lover
July 24, 2016, 8:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,662
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from golfer
Have been unable to see any of the pre season games so I am unable to give an opinion , but can't remember anybody giving a report that Town

played well.The only feedback appears to be that we need another G.K. to give Macca competition,the midfield is too slow and nobody is creative

enough to link defence with the forwards, the forwards can't head a ball, we are not suited to 4-4-2 ,4-3-3, 4-3-2-1 , we need a robust forward who

can hold the ball up,as long as we start playing well after 10-15 games satisfied if we dont get relegated. These are supposed to be a better quality player, please let me know if they are better than what we had at the start of last season. From your reports [ not mine ] it appears that there are a few doubters. I am only asking the question because I haven't seen them yet.

I saw the new team for the first time on Saturday and if I was going to comment on that one performance I would say we should be concerned. We didn't seem to know what we were trying to do to be honest; one up front was just that - one - with nobody getting up there to join in. I thought the players were technically good, but we need the 2 speedy wingers we signed fit and raring to go to give us some oomph (technical term from FA coaching course). At the start of the second half it was better with Bogle and the new lad up front.

But, and it is a huge but, last pre season I thought we had a fantastic team; the best we have had for a long time and I thought we would win the league. It turned out ok in the end, but it just goes to show pre season doesn't really mean a thing. We will just have to wait and see how it pans out, but I really hope they knit together quickly enough to give us a reasonable start when the season starts.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
rancido
July 25, 2016, 7:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Pre-season games brings the players fitness up to an acceptable level in a match situation against other players. It  gives PH the chance to try different styles, assess players strengths and weaknesses in a match situation. It is also a " bonding exercise " in helping to integrate new players to the squad. We , as fans , don't know what PH has in his mind when he assembles a squad for a " friendly " and as such can only judge what we see as a game. He will be looking at other things on the pitch and although no-one likes to lose I'm sure PH will be getting a better idea of what his players have to offer. I seem to recall when I started watching town in the mid 1960's we only played about three or four friendlies , usually against league opposition, and well into the pre-season period.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.