4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
July 23, 2016, 9:51pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from Grimbiggs
I was sat in front of promotion plaice, and we both agreed we lack a strong target men, together with the central midfield, which just comprised of two younger versions of Disley, terriers that just run alll day..we are going to need far more creativity, width (wingers), together with pace at the back, together with somebody with the ability of Billy Sharp, if we are going to compete for promotion....i know it's early days, but either Sheffield Utd are very good ( could of been double figures,with a couple of strong penalty appeals ) and are going to be pushing for promotion, or we are very bad... anyway be postive, it was only a friendly, keep believing, things can only get better...

Not sure about that Paul but yeah

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
arryarryarry
July 23, 2016, 10:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Very poor first half tactics for me, the long punt to Jackson was a complete waste of time, no idea what Paul Hurst was thinking about.

That must be the worst performance by Gowling in a Town shirt, Davies looked poor as did most of the midfield, Vose looks pretty on the ball but not much end product. I cant remember one good thing that Chambers did.

Having seen every friendly so far, beginning to worry where the goals are going to come from and we look like conceding every game.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
Tangerine Chris
July 24, 2016, 8:05am
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
Sheff U have an established team that played together last season, Town have replace the majority of the team, and have been playing together for only a few weeks.  The sooner we get a goalscorer the better, as it does not look like Bogle knows where the goal is at the moment

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
topuphere666
July 24, 2016, 8:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
The lack of creativity is worrying! The midfield is also a concern. It doesn't look strong enough going forward and not protecting the back 4 like it did last season!

Hopefully another forward player, wide player and maybe a centre half coming in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
Bignic69
July 24, 2016, 8:55am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
In fairness to our midfield, it looked like sheff utds focal point was turning the ball over in the centre circle and they were decent at it imo. I was sat close to the dugouts and was listening to their gaffer, whilst we had the ball at the back he was fairly calm but once the ball went into midfield/towards the half way line he was screaming at his players to win the ball and encouraging them to hunt in packs. Looked fairly effective to me as we were forced to make wayward passes throughout the game.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
Grim74
July 24, 2016, 11:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Why was we now in our home shirt seeing as we was the home team? Could this be more contempt from Hurst to us fans.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
dapperz fun pub
July 24, 2016, 12:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Grim74
Why was we now in our home shirt seeing as we was the home team? Could this be more contempt from Hurst to us fans.

It was a friendly don't read too much into shirt choice however if we don't play in stripes at Gainsborough it's definitely a pop
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
Grimal
July 24, 2016, 12:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Grim74

I would think it's more to do with any fans watching the highlights on mariner player, if we wore the stripes they would clash with sheffields shirts for anyone viewing on a black and white screen.         This would be more likely than your thoughts of contempt by PH.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
Hertsmariner
July 24, 2016, 4:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
Hopefully, this was just a demonstration of 'work still in progress' for Town's new-look team. However, the gulf in class here was huge. Sheffield moved the ball around quickly and accurately, hunted in packs and always seemed to have players to spare in oceans of space when they won possession. Apart from about 10 minutes or so at the beginning of the second half, when Town moved the ball more quickly, we were much too slow and hesitant in possession. That said, Wilder made lots of substitutions in the second half, so Sheffield had lots of fresh legs out there on a hot and humid day. By contrast, Hurst made every attempt to give most of the side the full 90 minutes, presumably to improve stamina, but most looked very tired by the closing stages. Like some others on here, I think central defence, without a quick, do-or-die, body-in-the-way, replacement for Toto, looks especially vulnerable, though this is not helped by the absence of a determined screen in defensive midfield. And at present, I don't see where the goals are going to come from at the opposite end. Jackson tried his best but support for him was all but absent. He rolled a 'delicious' cross across the box late in the second half but not a single player was up in support to convert. We must do better than this.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
golfer
July 24, 2016, 4:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
Have been unable to see any of the pre season games so I am unable to give an opinion , but can't remember anybody giving a report that Town

played well.The only feedback appears to be that we need another G.K. to give Macca competition,the midfield is too slow and nobody is creative

enough to link defence with the forwards, the forwards can't head a ball, we are not suited to 4-4-2 ,4-3-3, 4-3-2-1 , we need a robust forward who

can hold the ball up,as long as we start playing well after 10-15 games satisfied if we dont get relegated. These are supposed to be a better quality player, please let me know if they are better than what we had at the start of last season. From your reports [ not mine ] it appears that there are a few doubters. I am only asking the question because I haven't seen them yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.