RonMariner
May 28, 2016, 1:39pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
Great News!

Enough of this 'too old' stuff. The likes of Beckham, Giggs, Scholes and countless others were still able to perform at premier league standard well beyond the age of 34. So playing in L2 is easily possible for Diz given that he keeps himself in great shape.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 84
Rick12
May 28, 2016, 1:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from mariner91

The point still remains, nearly every player is released at some stage unless they are right at the very top. Even the players being signed by L1 clubs at the minute have mostly been released.
True which makes football a bit of a unstable business to be in unless you are at  the top.Remember a excellent article in the Spanish daily football newspaper Marca stating that a lot of clubs in Spain/Italy are part time eg from the 3rd tier down.And even their 1st division some players were still being payed around 60 -80 k some 3-5 years back.Hence its only in our game where there are so many clubs that players play full time.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 84
KingstonMariner
May 28, 2016, 2:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Rick12
Facts are facts though.Deemed not good enough for one reason or other

Yes, but the point is it can't have been owt to do with his legs, which si what you were saying. Not at 27!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 84
Rick12
May 28, 2016, 2:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Yes, but the point is it can't have been owt to do with his legs, which si what you were saying. Not at 27!
You must have  misinterpreted  me.It was stating more the fact he wasn't good enough for a league 1 side some time back.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 84
mariner91
May 28, 2016, 2:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,744
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Rick12
You must have  misinterpreted  me.It was stating more the fact he wasn't good enough for a league 1 side some time back.

Amond wasn't good enough for a L2 team 12 months ago...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 84
Rick12
May 28, 2016, 2:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

I know and that would have been a concern for me given that it was Morecambe of League 2.Having said that did have a stint in the Portuguese 1st tier so from a early age did show promise but not enough to be retained. Hence will be interesting to see how he fares this season in league 2.I like Amond though.From what Ive seen a tidy player who is a good finisher.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 84
Rik e B
May 28, 2016, 2:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Quoted from RonMariner
Great News!

given that he keeps himself in great shape.

[img]https://media4.giphy.com/media/89asT84PzDwwE/giphy.gif[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 84
mariner91
May 28, 2016, 2:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,744
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Rick12
I know and that would have been a concern for me given that it was Morecambe of League 2.Having said that did have a stint in the Portuguese 1st tier so from a early age did show promise but not enough to be retained. Hence will be interesting to see how he fares this season in league 2.I like Amond though.From what Ive seen a tidy player who is a good finisher.

I think you're looking at it far too simplistically. There are so many factors involved with a player's success at a club, not just whether they are good enough or not. Look at Paddy McLoughlin, undoubtedly a talented player who has won promotion from the NL being a key part of that team yet wasn't a success for Town. Doesn't mean he's not a good player. I have no doubt that all of the players we have and have offered contracts to are good enough for L2 and with the right additions and system in place, there is no reason we can't do well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 84
Rick12
May 28, 2016, 2:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

I think you're looking at it far too simplistically. There are so many factors involved with a player's success at a club, not just whether they are good enough or not. Look at Paddy McLoughlin, undoubtedly a talented player who has won promotion from the NL being a key part of that team yet wasn't a success for Town. Doesn't mean he's not a good player. I have no doubt that all of the players we have and have offered contracts to are good enough for L2 and with the right additions and system in place, there is no reason we can't do well.
I feel though its all relative though.Granted there are other factors at stake eg a players mentality but at the end of the day you should let your feet do the talking.Having said that I value someones mentality more than their ability.You have both and your onto a winner.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 84
horsforthmariner
May 28, 2016, 3:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,638
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from mariner91

Thats because they inexplicably played Amond on the wing. Morcambe's board is hilarious on Amond. It's starts off with "it's nice to see Podge getting some goals" but as the season goes on it becomes more and more a source of  recriminations and anger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Disley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.