Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › And you can Stick the FA Trophy up your bottom
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 134 Guests

And you can Stick the FA Trophy up your bottom

This thread currently has 8,313 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
May 7, 2016, 8:50am
Guest User
Quoted from nightrider
Stranger things have happened but I cant see how he'll have a job by Monday morning if we lose. What would be the point?
Unless he's staying on for next season of course. That doesn't bare thinking about

The 'board' will give him the Trophy game I'd have thought. But we should start interviewing before then. We are already behind in terms of preparation for next season as other clubs are releasing players, agents will already be talking and deals will have been agreed.
Reply: 40 - 50
May 7, 2016, 8:53am
Guest User
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I always thought the policy of waiting until we know what division we're in before offering new contracts was the board's. Not Hursty's fault.

I'm sure it is, no blame attached to the manager at all here. Probably stems from the Makofo balls up, and other losers having their contract paid off but the 'board' have gone too far. We don't reward excellence, proven players that are outstanding have demonstrated their worth. It's not like when Carl Magnay or Padraig Amond leave on free transfers they won't need to be replaced is it? Then, to a degree despite some digging into their character (or am I giving them too much credit?) you are signing an unknown quantity. It's a bizarre policy, I am not naive - maybe the player himself may have clubs sniffing around, maybe Amond knows he is playing at a level or even two beneath him and wouldn't sign anyway, but the stupid policy is holding the club back. For one, I do believe Carl Magnay would have signed last January, he was on Twitter practically begging for an extension.

Anyway,  talking of paying off shite players, what would you give for Scott Neilson on the left wing tomorrow?
Reply: 41 - 50
mariner91
May 7, 2016, 8:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from 75

The 'board' will give him the Trophy game I'd have thought. But we should start interviewing before then. We are already behind in terms of preparation for next season as other clubs are releasing players, agents will already be talking and deals will have been agreed.

That's my big worry, we are going to be 3 weeks behind already with no manager. The club needs to be thinking about who they want to interview and who they'd like to pursue now. Unless we somehow win promotion, Hurst has to go as he's had enough time and he's not improving us or as a manager. If we don't get somebody in quickly to replace him then we'll lose most of the squad because they want to sort themselves out first. Then we'll be signing players when a lot have already been signed, it will lead to a very poor season next year. I really hope the board are being proactive but somehow I doubt it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
HertsGTFC
May 7, 2016, 9:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,986
Gold Stars: 228
The even bigger concern is that "if" not when we sack Hurst as affirmative action cannot be guaranteed with JF and the boys our current squad will be easy pickings for other clubs as they will not sign anything until a new manager is appointed. Generally players play for managers and not clubs.

If Paul goes on the 23rd do we really expect the set of Muppets who run this club to have someone waiting in the wings.  

Oh and BTW if Hurst goes Doig needs to follow............No offence to Doigy but complete clear-out required.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
MarinerWY
May 7, 2016, 9:34am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,990
Gold Stars: 47
To not get promoted isn't a 'win' in any shape  or form, johnnyboy. I'll take no pleasure in getting rid of a manager because we'll still be in non-league. I actually think this speaks volumes that the two outcomes are comparable (even equal) in some people's eyes.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
May 7, 2016, 10:00am
Guest User
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I always thought the policy of waiting until we know what division we're in before offering new contracts was the board's. Not Hursty's fault.

That being the case, my advice to the board for next season is, if the manager is Paul Hurst you can safely offer contracts for the next two seasons.  

Very nicely put KM.  

Whilst the policy is understandable - at least in a financial perspective - it does suggest that as a football club we're not confident of spotting a player we want, and want to hang on to regardless (e.g. Podge).
I'd trust AB's opinion on a player (still), though whether the club takes advantage of his 1,000+ games as a manager I couldn't say.

The point I'm trying to make is that we appear to be set up not to succeed....'from the top'.

Most clubs in this league would be delighted to have our fan-base (spoilt or otherwise) without a doubt.
Reply: 45 - 50
Wrawby_Mariner
May 7, 2016, 10:05am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Regarding contracts, there isn't a right answer. I personally feel that the players have to earn the contract.

I hope to God we rediscover our last seasons away form and beat a well prepared Braintree side tomorrow, and if we don't then Hurst has to go... Not for any dislike of the man, I do think he has a post playing career in football but not as a manager. He clearly has an eye for a player, and if we fail tomorrow he should go into scouting and we can find a manager with the minerals to take us up.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 46 - 50
May 7, 2016, 10:13am
Guest User
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
Regarding contracts, there isn't a right answer. I personally feel that the players have to earn the contract.

Do you not think Amond had earned a contract extension by January when he'd bagged about 20 goals? Now I fully expect him to leave on a free transfer. Great business that.
Reply: 47 - 50
chaos33
May 7, 2016, 10:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,984
Gold Stars: 361
Is the oft-repeated notion that Hurst 'clearly has an eye for a player' a bit of a myth, or at least, a received idea?

Seems to me that he's signed just as many duffs as good players. His acquisitions in the January window were of a generally substandard quality and haven't strengthened what is already a fairly average team give or take one or two outstanding individuals. Look at our options for Sunday in terms of who could come into the team and provide something different or offer an improvement. Hmm. Not good is it.

There are many sources of information on players and clubs have scouts and contacts. I'd say that he's no better or worse than most other managers at 'spotting a player', plus spotting, and signing players are two different things, to say nothing of the ability to be able to manage, coach and improve them. Look at all the players he has now and those he has acquired in his 6 year tenure. How many great players has he spotted, signed, improved, and used effectively to deliver some success?

Rather like this received idea that we have 'the strongest squad in the division', the assumption that he clearly has an eye for a player is paper thin on evidence IMO.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
arryarryarry
May 7, 2016, 10:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from chaos33
Is the oft-repeated notion that Hurst 'clearly has an eye for a player' a bit of a myth, or at least, a received idea?

Seems to me that he's signed just as many duffs as good players. His acquisitions in the January window were of a generally substandard quality and haven't strengthened what is already a fairly average team give or take one or two outstanding individuals. Look at our options for Sunday in terms of who could come into the team and provide something different or offer an improvement. Hmm. Not good is it.

There are many sources of information on players and clubs have scouts and contacts. I'd say that he's no better or worse than most other managers at 'spotting a player', plus spotting, and signing players are two different things, to say nothing of the ability to be able to manage, coach and improve them. Look at all the players he has now and those he has acquired in his 6 year tenure. How many great players has he spotted, signed, improved, and used effectively to deliver some success?

Rather like this received idea that we have 'the strongest squad in the division', the assumption that he clearly has an eye for a player is paper thin on evidence IMO.

Exactly.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › And you can Stick the FA Trophy up your bottom

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.