Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › labour council unable to make a decision shock!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 6 Guests

labour council unable to make a decision shock!

This thread currently has 21,913 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerWY
November 17, 2015, 9:33pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 110
horsforthmariner
November 18, 2015, 10:58am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,631
Gold Stars: 9
Ok I've read the report and frankly it concerns me.

Essentially North East Lincolnshire have outsourced a review of 16 sites. This review seems pretty rigorous and realistic. It advises that 4 of the top 5 sites go forward. The Council has essentially ignored this report and added two sites. The Site that came top was ignored because of space considerations but this was re-inserted. The other site that was inserted was Freeman Street, which finished joint bottom of the review.

Having read reports like this all the time you often get a sense of which option is the Council preferred choice. In this case I have no doubt that Freeman Street is the preferred choice. First the fact they repeatedly mention the regeneration potential but more interestingly the fact that they've already had conversations with Shoreline over this matter.

Of course the Freeman Street plan is utterly crazy as all the problems associated with Blundell Park will be just as evident at Freeman Street. For example:
1. Like Blundell Park it will be difficult to police in a residential area.
2. The traffic issues will be the same - but it will be worse as the train station will be further away.
3. The East Marsh is not a good location for functions that are meant to make the stadium a 7 day a week money making opportunity.
4. There isn't the space for an enabling development.
5. Insurance will be expensive as the area is classified as been at risk of flooding.

Additionally people's homes will be bulldozed and as it's a residential area lots of people will have to put up with a big development being built around the corner from there house..

The Council's Freeman Street plan is entirely contingent on regeneration money, presumably from Europe. Except of course we may end up out of Europe in a couple of years. Obtaining regeneration money is also fiendishly complex and takes years.

Quite simply this Freeman Street plan is a disaster and one that we must oppose. I'm not saying that Labour are pushing this because there one councillor in Park ward (Peaks Parkway) is up for election in May, but....

In my view the most realistic place to build the stadium is Peaks Parkway with Morrisons probably in second place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 110
FishOutOfWater
November 18, 2015, 12:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Ok I've read the report and frankly it concerns me.

Essentially North East Lincolnshire have outsourced a review of 16 sites. This review seems pretty rigorous and realistic. It advises that 4 of the top 5 sites go forward. The Council has essentially ignored this report and added two sites. The Site that came top was ignored because of space considerations but this was re-inserted. The other site that was inserted was Freeman Street, which finished joint bottom of the review.

Having read reports like this all the time you often get a sense of which option is the Council preferred choice. In this case I have no doubt that Freeman Street is the preferred choice. First the fact they repeatedly mention the regeneration potential but more interestingly the fact that they've already had conversations with Shoreline over this matter.

Of course the Freeman Street plan is utterly crazy as all the problems associated with Blundell Park will be just as evident at Freeman Street. For example:
1. Like Blundell Park it will be difficult to police in a residential area.
2. The traffic issues will be the same - but it will be worse as the train station will be further away.
3. The East Marsh is not a good location for functions that are meant to make the stadium a 7 day a week money making opportunity.
4. There isn't the space for an enabling development.
5. Insurance will be expensive as the area is classified as been at risk of flooding.

Additionally people's homes will be bulldozed and as it's a residential area lots of people will have to put up with a big development being built around the corner from there house..

The Council's Freeman Street plan is entirely contingent on regeneration money, presumably from Europe. Except of course we may end up out of Europe in a couple of years. Obtaining regeneration money is also fiendishly complex and takes years.

Quite simply this Freeman Street plan is a disaster and one that we must oppose. I'm not saying that Labour are pushing this because there one councillor in Park ward (Peaks Parkway) is up for election in May, but....

In my view the most realistic place to build the stadium is Peaks Parkway with Morrisons probably in second place.

Not disputing any of this but if Freeman Street were to be chosen, is the GRIMSBY DOCKS station no longer an option as a rail link?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 52 - 110
horsforthmariner
November 18, 2015, 12:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,631
Gold Stars: 9
I suspect that it would need upgrading which maybe financially prohibitive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 110
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 18, 2015, 12:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from horsforthmariner
I suspect that it would need upgrading which maybe financially prohibitive.

What for? New Clee has been OK and that's only a platform. In fact, proximity to the Docks station is a big plus point and the site is close to the end of the A180.

Having said that, there are other issues that would need considerable planning and the input of a developer. It would however contribute far more to the regeneration of the town than any other option and I suspect that is why the council have re-included it.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 110
psgmariner
November 18, 2015, 12:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
There was a great debate on Radio Humberside this morning.

Must admit I am fully inn the no to Peaks Parkway camp now. Europarc and Great Coates would be even worse though.

Melanie Onn made some good points and like him or loathe him De Freitas was fairly compelling as well.

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 110
ginnywings
November 18, 2015, 12:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,137
Gold Stars: 548
I also feel the council would like it at Freemo because they have been banging on about re-generating that area for years. We've had artist mock ups of a pedestrianised Freeman street in the Telewag on more than one occasion but sodomist all ever comes of it. I suspect the draw for the council is the grant money available and the chance to kill 2 birds with one stone.It would also give them the chance to do something with the East Marsh which is an embarrassment in publicity terms and the least enviable borough in which to live in the entire country, according to a recent survey. They have just wasted sh1tloads building a swimming pool that nobody really wanted, so i won't hold my breath they will get the new stadium right, if they ever get round to doing it at all. The one thing this council seems to be good at is getting planning issues massively wrong on several occasions.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 110
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 18, 2015, 12:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from psgmariner

Must admit I am fully inn the no to Peaks Parkway camp now. Europarc and Great Coates would be even worse though.

Melanie Onn made some good points and like him or loathe him De Freitas was fairly compelling as well.

Totally agree about Europarc and Great Coates. Having always been in the no to Parkway camp I am just pleased people are coming to their senses and seeing a club that says it is part of the community must have a ground that actually benefits the community. That goes a lot further than just lettings and leisure activities.On the Parkway that can never happen, in fact the reverse.

So my vote would go to Freeman Street with Morrisons second if we have to have an edge of town stadium.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 110
Chrisblor
November 18, 2015, 1:01pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,836
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from psgmariner

Not so sure, he started waffling on about the club wanting to open a restaurant "overlooking the cemetary gardens" which is total sensationalist rubbish.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 110
WetFlannel
November 18, 2015, 1:11pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
Andrew DeFreitas could sign for us, score the winner to get us promoted, cure cancer after the end of the season and then headbutt David Cameron in the balls and I'd still think he was a grade A cockmuncher.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 110
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › labour council unable to make a decision shock!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.