Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › labour council unable to make a decision shock!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

labour council unable to make a decision shock!

This thread currently has 21,748 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
November 17, 2015, 12:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
I'm probably going to go against the flow here but I still think our main priority is to get back in to the league..

Would it bother me if we're still at BP in say 10 years time but playing against the likes of Chesterfield, Huddersfield, Mansfield etc.?

Not in the slightest...I'm sure the attraction of watching Town won't diminish just because our ground is dilapidated.

I'm not saying that the "dream" of relocating can't still be looked at but for me it's not the be-all and end-all of GTFC...what matters most imho is what we achieve on the pitch

Onwards and upwards

UTM GTID
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 110
ginnywings
November 17, 2015, 12:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from psgmariner
The more I read about this relocation the less I like it!

There doesn't seem to be a suitable site and the money required is eye watering.

Agreed and i'd love to stay at BP but the club is just not financially viable there according to the board. I'd rather have a club to support in a new ground than lose it altogether. It will be a massive wrench to leave BP, if we ever get that far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 110
psgmariner
November 17, 2015, 12:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from ginnywings

Agreed and i'd love to stay at BP but the club is just not financially viable there according to the board. I'd rather have a club to support in a new ground than lose it altogether. It will be a massive wrench to leave BP, if we ever get that far.

I know the argument but I remain sceptical about the motivation for moving and also the proposed benefits.

We will be selling our only really asset and then renting a new stadium from someone else from what I have read. The new stadium will not done be built in the best interests of the club alone as they will not be the one paying for it.

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 110
ivanosandwich
November 17, 2015, 12:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
I'm probably going to go against the flow here but I still think our main priority is to get back in to the league..

Would it bother me if we're still at BP in say 10 years time but playing against the likes of Chesterfield, Huddersfield, Mansfield etc.?

Not in the slightest...I'm sure the attraction of watching Town won't diminish just because our ground is dilapidated.

I'm not saying that the "dream" of relocating can't still be looked at but for me it's not the be-all and end-all of GTFC...what matters most imho is what we achieve on the pitch

Onwards and upwards

UTM GTID

I fully agree with your comments and imagine that most fans would prioritise on the field success over a new stadium but one fan that probably wouldn't is JF. He might say if we don't make the move, we definitely won't be playing Chesterfield, Huddersfield, Mansfield etc in then years time.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 110
barralad
November 17, 2015, 1:22pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from ivanosandwich

I fully agree with your comments and imagine that most fans would prioritise on the field success over a new stadium but one fan that probably wouldn't is JF. He might say if we don't make the move, we definitely won't be playing Chesterfield, Huddersfield, Mansfield etc in then years time.

And, the inescapable (but possibly for many inconvenient) fact is that he is right. We've seen the club post another loss albeit significantly down on last years due to Wembley etc. Such a position cannot continue indefinitely on the basis of one mans money continuing to prop up the club. When people glibly talk about cutting our cloth more appropriately they need to understand what that means in the context of modern football finance. It is my opinion that it would mean a final goodbye to hopes of getting out of this league if by some unfortunate occurence we weren't successful this season.  There also has to some understanding of the need for a facility that earns GTFC money seven days a week-not only on match days and the odd occasion when someone wants to hold a function at McMenemy's. Far too much time has been wasted already. I've seen no end of references on here over time to Paul Hurst's alleged lack of a "Plan B". To throw all of our hopes into getting back into the Football League on the promise that to do so would supposedly see our reliance on John Fenty suddenly evaporate would be supreme folly. I'd be very interested (perhaps Chaos can help?) in how and why York came to the conclusion that Bootham Crescent with its city centre situation wasn't the way forward for them...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 110
Maringer
November 17, 2015, 1:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
a nice map:

I'm still disappointed that they haven't included a Fenty Island option just offshore. We could be the first team to play in the middle of the North Sea.  

On a more serious note, I reckon the Peaks Parkway site is clearly the best choice for transport links as well as being pretty much central between the population in Grimsby, Cleethorpes, Waltham, Humberston etc.

Failing that, the Fish Docks site would keep the fishing heritage part of things going but transports links wouldn't be much good. Freeman Street a complete non-starter, I'd have thought. Just imagine how much it would cost to clear the site, not to mention you'd need compulsory purchase orders for no end of properties.

I fear the Europarc site will be popular with the council even though it is miles away from most of the fans with little chance of anybody being able to walk to games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 110
psgmariner
November 17, 2015, 1:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from barralad

I'd be very interested (perhaps Chaos can help?) in how and why York came to the conclusion that Bootham Crescent with its city centre situation wasn't the way forward for them...

I think Bootham Crescent was sold to housing developers as land in the centre of York is VERY expensive. Their motivation was to cash in on the land they were sat on.

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 110
barralad
November 17, 2015, 1:42pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from grimps
Once again the Labour council are playing politics with our football clubs future , they hate the fact that Fenty is a Tory , they hate the fact that he's a self made successful businessman while many of them have never had a real job in their lives.
Once again they're prepared to do this club and its fans in because of personal envy and bitterness

Have you even bothered to read the article?

There are several councillors from across the political spectrum who are season ticket holders at B.P. and who are fully supportive of the need/plans for a new stadium. The decision of the sighting of the new stadium will be one of the most important decisions made by the council in memory. There are huge decisions around infra-structure etc. to be considered.  If you think that over such a decision the council splits on party lines you are massively out of touch. The council (probably quite rightly) had its knuckles rapped over the decision to close Scartho Baths etc. They are hardly likely to want to make the same mistakes.

Having said all of that I do wish they would get to the decision as quickly as possible-Far too much time has passed already

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 110
barralad
November 17, 2015, 1:50pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from psgmariner

I think Bootham Crescent was sold to housing developers as land in the centre of York is VERY expensive. Their motivation was to cash in on the land they were sat on.

But surely that only gives them an advantage in their relocation plans because they have more money to put into any relocation project?  Bootham Crescent is a very poor ground facility wise. I guess it is a bit chicken and egg. Did they decide to move to cash in their asset or did they think "We need to relocate how best can that be achieved?"

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 110
Tommy
November 17, 2015, 1:51pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from psgmariner

Ranking   Site                                               Scor
1               Dockside (Garth Lane)                 32
2               Europarc                                       32
3               Peaks Parkway                             31
4               Morrisons Dual By-Pass               30
5               Great Coates                                30
6               King George V Athletic Stadium   30
7               Millenium Park, Macauley Lane    29
8               Ladysmith Road                            29
9               B&Q on A16                                  29
10             Western Tech School                   29
11             Bradley Road                                27
12             Fish Docks                                    26
13             Blundell Park                                25
14             Freeman Street                             24
15             Tioxide Site                                   24
16             Grimsby Golf Centre                     24

As such, the following four sites are being recommended
for further analysis by the Club and NELC:
• Europarc (dependent upon increasing land available);
• Peaks Parkway;
• Morrisons Dual By-Pass; and
• Great Coates.

Added to the 4 recommended sites are:

- Freeman Street (due to its potential for significant regeneration of that area of the borough) and,
- Docks (to be retained for first stage feasibility due to its high score).

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 110
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › labour council unable to make a decision shock!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.