Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › elding..
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 129 Guests

elding..

This thread currently has 4,781 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
black an white stripes
October 31, 2011, 4:40pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
saw him at the ground today with a bloke in a very smart suit i said hello anthony, he reply yes very good thank you and shook my hand nice man..he then give a hand shake to the man in the suit and off he went....so i spoke to the bloke witch happened to be his agent..he said hes had a few phone calls for anthony from league 2 an blue square teams regarding his availability, as anthony isnt happy at sitting on the bench and being the back up. fair point. obviously wants to play football. he then said anthony was in league 1 last season had this year left on his contract but decided he wanted to try and play most weeks an that anthony was desperate to join town, but on the other hand is disapointed that he turned a 2 year contract down at plymouth to be sat on the bench in blue squre...his agent was a good guy we had a chat for about 20-25 mins..

maybe he could be on his way in jan? hope not as im a fan of elding and think he as done all he can in the time hes been on the pitch i think given reg football he would get us 20+ this season..
Logged Offline
Private Message
oldludensian
October 31, 2011, 4:42pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / -8
Approval: +57
Do agents really discuss their clients with common on garden fans?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 46
big bad bob
October 31, 2011, 4:48pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -5
I dont think so do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 46
bleedblackandwhite
October 31, 2011, 4:48pm

Shandy Drinker
i really cant see an agent discussing anthony eldings business with you mate sorry..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 46
black an white stripes
October 31, 2011, 4:55pm
Beer Drinker
sorry guys dont shoot the messenger..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 46
Garth
October 31, 2011, 4:58pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
sorry guys dont shoot the messenger..
rumour monger

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 46
80sglory
October 31, 2011, 4:59pm
Guest User
If it IS true then I could empathise, but no one has a right to start, and think Duffy has done little wrong.

Elding and Duffy are different types of player - one is a goalscorer, one is a target/hold up man.

I think it would be a shame if Anhony did leave cos I think we've got the right balance in attack.
Reply: 6 - 46
black an white stripes
October 31, 2011, 5:17pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from 1600
If it IS true then I could empathise, but no one has a right to start, and think Duffy has done little wrong.

Elding and Duffy are different types of player - one is a goalscorer, one is a target/hold up man.

I think it would be a shame if Anhony did leave cos I think we've got the right balance in attack.

agree nobody should start every week...duffy has done little wrong ok, anthony done little wrong too and scored more agree....would like to see elding duffy and hearn play together...elding an hearn feeding off duffy?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 46
brigg_mariner
October 31, 2011, 5:19pm

UTM...!!!
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 5
Surely this is non-football...?

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2012 (Part 2)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 46
Garth
October 31, 2011, 5:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from 1600

I like him and I hope he stays, but Duffy and Hearn are the two starters at the moment and apart from injuries or loss of form it looks like it will stay the way it is
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 46
StiggsGTFC
October 31, 2011, 5:35pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +41
And who set up Hearn for his two goals on Saturday with a neat first touch pass each time?.......yep Duffy.....They are starting to appreciate each others game, so for me its Duffy/Hearn as starters...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 46
mariner marc
October 31, 2011, 5:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Quoted from 1600
but no one has a right to start
agree

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 46
80sglory
October 31, 2011, 5:44pm
Guest User
Quoted from Garth
I like him and I hope he stays, but Duffy and Hearn are the two starters at the moment and apart from injuries or loss of form it looks like it will stay the way it is

You could well be right but they do seem to like Elding.
Didn't you say yourself it's probably cos they've signed him ?
Reply: 12 - 46
STB
October 31, 2011, 6:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Quoted from Garth
rumour monger

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 46
1mickylyons
October 31, 2011, 6:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
In my opinion the 3 Town strikers are the best weve had for ages.Last season we just had Connell and before that Conlon and the hardworking but goal shy Akpro and you would probably have to go back to Sladehead and Jones/Reddy/Parky to find 3 strikers who could all find the net?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 46
My cats dreams
October 31, 2011, 6:39pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
What a girl private meeeooooowwww

Dogs are smelly creatures full of there own importance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 46
1mickylyons
October 31, 2011, 6:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from My cats dreams
What a girl private meeeooooowwww

A pussycat talking dirty whatever next on the fishy?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 46
acko338
October 31, 2011, 6:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,229
Gold Stars: 33
Both Duffy and Elding are slowly making progress, but Elding hasn't torn the trees up that will guarantee him a starting slot, Duffy is the ball to head knock down front man, whereas Hearn is looking dangerous and a potential goalscorer whenever he gets the ball. (At home games at least !)

Saturday could have been an opportunity to shine off the bench against much lower opposition, but the result was all important along with the clean sheet, so the timing of the subs coming on was important to the team performance.

As with Duffy, Southwell, Spencer, Thanoj and other current non starters, he must show the end result with consistency to get the spot - in his case, goals are the game !

With no reserve games, the Saturday slots become so much more precious, and we need to play ball on the floor to feet to get the best out of him - he needs to calibrate his sights in much the same way that Hearn did when he struggled earlier in the season - he could be the golden boy in the 2nd half of the season if he clicks, maybe more starting chances away from home where Hearn isn't currently firing ??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 46
Garth
October 31, 2011, 7:17pm

Season Ticket Holder
The strange thing is that Hearn is so impotent away from BP and whereas he could not buy a goal two months ago at BP,the same applies away, however the law of averages will come into play soon and his goals away will come hopefully unpluging the defence  at Bath
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 46
black an white stripes
October 31, 2011, 8:46pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons
In my opinion the 3 Town strikers are the best weve had for ages.Last season we just had Connell and before that Conlon and the hardworking but goal shy Akpro and you would probably have to go back to Sladehead and Jones/Reddy/Parky to find 3 strikers who could all find the net?

couldnt agree more..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 46
louth_in_the_south
October 31, 2011, 8:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
Can't understand why eldings agent told him to turn down a 2 year contract ? Oh yeah they weren't paying any of their players and were staring bankruptcy in the face . Silly me .

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 46
moosey_club
October 31, 2011, 9:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,301
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Lol. By find the net i take it you mean it literally as opposed to actually putting the ball in it every now and then.
As much as i like Parky and appreciated his constant efforts he had a pretty poor record in front of goal.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 46
AndyGTFC
October 31, 2011, 9:47pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
You need players like Elding, he knows where the net is and I wouldn't want him to leave already but you can't argue against Hearn and Duffy being our front two. They're the two that work best together.

Like others, I do find it strange that someone would tell you all of this though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 46
DubaiMariner
November 1, 2011, 7:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -1
saw him at the ground today with a bloke in a very smart suit i said hello anthony, he reply yes very good thank you and shook my hand nice man..he then give a hand shake to the man in the suit and off he went....so i spoke to the bloke witch happened to be his agent..he said hes had a few phone calls for anthony from league 2 an blue square teams regarding his availability, as anthony isnt happy at sitting on the bench and being the back up. fair point. obviously wants to play football. he then said anthony was in league 1 last season had this year left on his contract but decided he wanted to try and play most weeks an that anthony was desperate to join town, but on the other hand is disapointed that he turned a 2 year contract down at plymouth to be sat on the bench in blue squre...his agent was a good guy we had a chat for about 20-25 mins..

maybe he could be on his way in jan? hope not as im a fan of elding and think he as done all he can in the time hes been on the pitch i think given reg football he would get us 20+ this season..

Not sure about this Elding guy. Say hello to him and he says he's great and shakes your hand?! A hello back would probably suffice for me.

I'm a big fan of Elding, when i'm not booing him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 46
oldun
November 1, 2011, 7:59am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
He has a shiny red car too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 46
ticker_1610
November 1, 2011, 8:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
I don't think Duffy is very good, average at best in his role of target man. I wouldn't complain seeing him leave n being replaced. Elding is a clever player but needs the ball into his feet or the gaps between defenders, I would much prefare us to play the ball into feet but lately it's been aimed at Duffy. Perhaps both are going to be replaced in the summer!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 46
the Grimbarian
November 1, 2011, 9:12am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -22
Approval: -2
To be honest this reaction was on the cards especially when the muppets weve got in charge change a winning side (after beating Alfreton) I cant understand why we persist with Duffy when everyone else around him are scoring.
This just proves how naive we are at this level when it would have served us better getting a manager that either managed at this level or even above but that common sense but at GTFC we never use that

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/awxlia.jpg[/IMG]                                                          

• In addition, it was requested for anyone involved with GTST to step away from the
negativity, and refrain from getting involved in any nastiness and backbiting that
seems commonplace on messageboards.

AN EPITAPH FOR ALL GTST MEMBERS

Paranoia is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 46
gobby
November 1, 2011, 9:18am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from the Grimbarian
To be honest this reaction was on the cards especially when the muppets weve got in charge change a winning side (after beating Alfreton) I cant understand why we persist with Duffy when everyone else around him are scoring.
This just proves how naive we are at this level when it would have served us better getting a manager that either managed at this level or even above but that common sense but at GTFC we never use that

Your right about Duffy not scoring but has anyone got an assists list? I would like to bet that Duffy is top.  
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 46
forza ivano
November 1, 2011, 11:57am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,280
Gold Stars: 266
i'm still trying to fathom why we signed (or wasted so much money!) on elding. i can only think that he is a very expensive insuirance policy in case hearn din't work out/didn't score/got injured/ got jailed( ) it seems blindingly obvious that hearn and elding doesn't work so it has to be either duffy or spencer paired with either elding or hearn. furthermore as someone else pointed out elding looks like the sort of player who needs a ball to feet and we really aren't good enought o do that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 46
80sglory
November 1, 2011, 12:56pm
Guest User
Quoted from ticker_1610
I don't think Duffy is very good, average at best in his role of target man. I wouldn't complain seeing him leave n being replaced.

I doubt you'll find a great deal better in this league.
Can't you see he's provided a lot of assists + chipped in with a few goals too ?
He's a better player than he was last year(due to a full pre-season) and has a touch of quality.
Take him out the team I think you'll find we end up creating a lot less chances (like vs Luton)
Reply: 29 - 46
GTFC28
November 1, 2011, 3:22pm
Guest User
leave the guy alone he only posted this to share with other town fans - dont judge
Reply: 30 - 46
rancido
November 1, 2011, 4:30pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,641
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from ticker_1610
I don't think Duffy is very good, average at best in his role of target man. I wouldn't complain seeing him leave n being replaced. Elding is a clever player but needs the ball into his feet or the gaps between defenders, I would much prefare us to play the ball into feet but lately it's been aimed at Duffy. Perhaps both are going to be replaced in the summer!

That's the point though , Duffy is a target man wheras Elding is more in the style of Hearne and feeds of the service he receives. You need a target man and in that role Duffy is more than adequate. This season he wins a lot of the high balls and with a better understanding with his striking partner we would get more goals. It seems to me we have to play Elding or Hearne alongside Duffy if we want to play the long ball option in our gameplan. Alternatively if the plan is to play the channels and keep the ball on the deck then I think a partnership of Elding and Hearne would be very fruitful.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
grimsby pete
November 1, 2011, 4:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,833
Gold Stars: 222
I like what I have seen of Elding , he is an out and out goalscorer,

BUT

If we do not play to his strengths its a waste of time playing him,

If we play to his feet and put the crosses in, he will get the goals,

If we just play high balls up to him and want him to hold the ball, he is not very good at that.

SO,

We either play Hearn and Elding together playing nice one/twos, or we play a target man with Elding on the bench.

I would like to see Hearn and Elding given 6 or 7 games together to see if they can make it work,

On the other hand Duffy has played well as the target man,

Who would be a manager eh !  ?????

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
acko338
November 1, 2011, 6:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,229
Gold Stars: 33
I would love to see pure "down to feet" passing from the team, however, this league does not lead itself to fancy play for 90 minutes - we've been caught out with long ball straight down the park hoof ball as it shows the lack of pace of some of our central defenders.

If we start a glut of goals from "on the floor" passing with Elding and Hearn up front, then I would be extremely happy - I think we're a good two or three players short of that capability right now !

I'm also happy to be proven wildly wrong by the BSP Leagues two top goal scorers if it happens !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
1mickylyons
November 1, 2011, 6:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Lol. By find the net i take it you mean it literally as opposed to actually putting the ball in it every now and then.
As much as i like Parky and appreciated his constant efforts he had a pretty poor record in front of goal.

Thought he bagged 8-9 goals in one Season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
arryarryarry
November 1, 2011, 9:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Well I have seen some rubbish posted on this site over the past few years but :-

"wheras Elding is more in the style of Hearne"

Congratulations that must be the daftest.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
ClarkeyUTM
November 1, 2011, 10:46pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Quoted from ticker_1610

Agreed, I like Duffy because he's the best target man we've had in a good while, but I don't think he's good enough for a side wanting promotion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
rancido
November 2, 2011, 9:05am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,641
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from arryarryarry
Well I have seen some rubbish posted on this site over the past few years but :-

You are entitled to your opinions as I am mine . The point I was making is that both strikers are not traditional  target men but prefer the ball played to feet and into space. If you can't see that after watching them play all season then I can only assume that you are either partially sighted or know absolutely f**k all about the different types of strikers in the modern game.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
forza ivano
November 2, 2011, 10:00am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,280
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from arryarryarry

you obviously haven't seen a match all season - neither man is a target man - granted hearn has more pace, but both are busy, hard running goal poacher types who are obviously not at their best when the ball is pumped into them at head height
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
Garth
November 2, 2011, 10:12am

Season Ticket Holder
Both Hearn and Elding are both big and fast goal scoring machines, and you never know what you have got untill they have gone, Duffy is an intelligent link up man and all three are more than decent for our present level
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
arryarryarry
November 6, 2011, 10:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Garth
Both Hearn and Elding are both big and fast goal scoring machines, and you never know what you have got untill they have gone, Duffy is an intelligent link up man and all three are more than decent for our present level

Congratulations you now are the proud owner of the daftest ever comment on the Fishy.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 46
Port vale
November 6, 2011, 10:57am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
I have seen Elding a number of times recently when hes come up against Vale and i dont think hes that good at all. He was a danger in the air and seemed strong (ish) but offered very little.

Now ive said that he wlil probably score against Vale next sat and dump us out of the cup  

[urlhttp://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl=en&revid=1015843020&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=525&wrapid=tlif132059497317910&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=port+vale+football+ground&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=port+vale+football+ground&cid=17830599099220757215&ei=MK62TqvtEMiW8gOny-CbBQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=photo-link&cd=1&resnum=1&ved=0CAYQnwIoADAAurl]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 46
bostonian
November 6, 2011, 11:04am
Beer Drinker
Approval: +70
Gold Stars: 2
You now have another  "goalscoring machine "  back at the club .    Mulready has completed his loan spell at Boston
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 46
NorfolkImp
November 6, 2011, 2:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11

In other words you can't afford his considerable wages any longer, so he's been told to look elsewhere in January if anyone is daft enough to match them?

Private Message
Reply: 43 - 46
Tinymariner
November 6, 2011, 3:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from bostonian
You now have another  "goalscoring machine "  back at the club .    Mulready has completed his loan spell at Boston

How did the lad play at Boston?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 46
bostonian
November 6, 2011, 5:34pm
Beer Drinker
Approval: +70
Gold Stars: 2
Sadly not very good .  we badly need a couple of strikers but Mulready is not up to BSN standard in my oppinion and it looks as though our managers think the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 46
Garth
November 6, 2011, 5:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from arryarryarry

Congratulations you now are the proud owner of the daftest ever comment on the Fishy.

Cheers its nice to be appreciated
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 46
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › elding..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.