Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › elding..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 132 Guests

elding..

This thread currently has 4,782 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
GTFC28
November 1, 2011, 3:22pm
Guest User
leave the guy alone he only posted this to share with other town fans - dont judge
Reply: 30 - 46
rancido
November 1, 2011, 4:30pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,641
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from ticker_1610
I don't think Duffy is very good, average at best in his role of target man. I wouldn't complain seeing him leave n being replaced. Elding is a clever player but needs the ball into his feet or the gaps between defenders, I would much prefare us to play the ball into feet but lately it's been aimed at Duffy. Perhaps both are going to be replaced in the summer!

That's the point though , Duffy is a target man wheras Elding is more in the style of Hearne and feeds of the service he receives. You need a target man and in that role Duffy is more than adequate. This season he wins a lot of the high balls and with a better understanding with his striking partner we would get more goals. It seems to me we have to play Elding or Hearne alongside Duffy if we want to play the long ball option in our gameplan. Alternatively if the plan is to play the channels and keep the ball on the deck then I think a partnership of Elding and Hearne would be very fruitful.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
grimsby pete
November 1, 2011, 4:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,832
Gold Stars: 222
I like what I have seen of Elding , he is an out and out goalscorer,

BUT

If we do not play to his strengths its a waste of time playing him,

If we play to his feet and put the crosses in, he will get the goals,

If we just play high balls up to him and want him to hold the ball, he is not very good at that.

SO,

We either play Hearn and Elding together playing nice one/twos, or we play a target man with Elding on the bench.

I would like to see Hearn and Elding given 6 or 7 games together to see if they can make it work,

On the other hand Duffy has played well as the target man,

Who would be a manager eh !  ?????

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
acko338
November 1, 2011, 6:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,228
Gold Stars: 33
I would love to see pure "down to feet" passing from the team, however, this league does not lead itself to fancy play for 90 minutes - we've been caught out with long ball straight down the park hoof ball as it shows the lack of pace of some of our central defenders.

If we start a glut of goals from "on the floor" passing with Elding and Hearn up front, then I would be extremely happy - I think we're a good two or three players short of that capability right now !

I'm also happy to be proven wildly wrong by the BSP Leagues two top goal scorers if it happens !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
1mickylyons
November 1, 2011, 6:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from moosey_club

Lol. By find the net i take it you mean it literally as opposed to actually putting the ball in it every now and then.
As much as i like Parky and appreciated his constant efforts he had a pretty poor record in front of goal.

Thought he bagged 8-9 goals in one Season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
arryarryarry
November 1, 2011, 9:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Well I have seen some rubbish posted on this site over the past few years but :-

"wheras Elding is more in the style of Hearne"

Congratulations that must be the daftest.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
ClarkeyUTM
November 1, 2011, 10:46pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Quoted from ticker_1610
I don't think Duffy is very good, average at best in his role of target man. I wouldn't complain seeing him leave n being replaced. Elding is a clever player but needs the ball into his feet or the gaps between defenders, I would much prefare us to play the ball into feet but lately it's been aimed at Duffy. Perhaps both are going to be replaced in the summer!

Agreed, I like Duffy because he's the best target man we've had in a good while, but I don't think he's good enough for a side wanting promotion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
rancido
November 2, 2011, 9:05am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,641
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from arryarryarry
Well I have seen some rubbish posted on this site over the past few years but :-

You are entitled to your opinions as I am mine . The point I was making is that both strikers are not traditional  target men but prefer the ball played to feet and into space. If you can't see that after watching them play all season then I can only assume that you are either partially sighted or know absolutely f**k all about the different types of strikers in the modern game.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
forza ivano
November 2, 2011, 10:00am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,278
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from arryarryarry

you obviously haven't seen a match all season - neither man is a target man - granted hearn has more pace, but both are busy, hard running goal poacher types who are obviously not at their best when the ball is pumped into them at head height
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
Garth
November 2, 2011, 10:12am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Both Hearn and Elding are both big and fast goal scoring machines, and you never know what you have got untill they have gone, Duffy is an intelligent link up man and all three are more than decent for our present level
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › elding..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.