BIGChris
October 18, 2011, 3:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin

As far as I know the club only leases Cheapside. I might be wrong though.

I think you are correct. GTFC does not own the training ground at Cheapside
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 40
malkamalka
October 18, 2011, 3:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +150
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Les Brechin

As far as I know the club only leases Cheapside. I might be wrong though.

Even better if council own it. They can help us get it developed, and we can be a sitting tenant. C'mon Coun. Boylen, get onto it  

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
Les Brechin
October 18, 2011, 3:21pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from malkamalka

Even better if council own it. They can help us get it developed, and we can be a sitting tenant. C'mon Coun. Boylen, get onto it  

I don't think it's council owned. I think it's leased from a local farmer or possibly Hedges Distribution which have their base behind the ground.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
pleasegoup
October 18, 2011, 3:36pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
how on earth would you fit a new ground on cheapside?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
jock dock tower
October 18, 2011, 3:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I read in today's paper that sperm donors (it was the Guardian, page 3 of the G2 supplement) could be compensated by up to £35 per donation a la Danish system. With a footballing squad of say 30, plus managers, physios, and those who work in the office, you could probably knock this up to 40. Twice a week you can donate, so that's £70 per person x 40 = £2,800 per week, or nearly £150k per calendar year. You may be able to get more by pleading that they are young athletes in the prime of their sporting lives. Maybe not..... Rope in a few fans as well and you can easily be looking at £0.5million annually. They could approach Bookers or the like to sponsor BP being renamed the Ham Shank Stadium.

Plus side for the players is that it will undoubtedly burn off a few calories, so helping with their prime fitness levels. With fans, losing that much testosterone on a weekly basis could probably make BP seem like an oasis of peace and loving. Would fans be so keen to sing "Who's the w@nker in the black?" at the referee though, knowing he may be a colleague?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
MeanwoodMariner
October 18, 2011, 4:31pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Let's say we have five red cards a year - that's 10 grand.

Let's say we print more pages in a programme (which costs more anyway) and get more advertising (which will cost more in terms of sales staff) that will make about £500 per home game that's 12 grand.

Aaron, go back to nursery and post something sensible when you've given it some thought.

This sums up many things wrong with this some people in this Town. Someone makes a point about looking for ways to save money and some miserable naysayer belittles the idea. Even by your own calculations he's 12 grand ahead of you in suggested savings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
AdamHaddock
October 18, 2011, 4:52pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,834
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Les Brechin

Errm, Pontoon Steve said "We might as well move to Bradley" you responded "I'm serious about that"

I wasn't talking about moving. I think as long as we're below League One, Blundell Park consisting of the Pontoon and the Smith's is adequate for home fans.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
DubaiMariner
October 18, 2011, 5:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Here's a suggestion. How about town make a stand and only pay the players what is affordable to the club. No-one in this league should be touching a grand per week. Yes, the standard might suffer, but i'd rather have a few Hearn's/Pearson's/Church's who want to be pro and take a chance than an old league player who used to deserve a grand a week but has dropped levels to stay on the same money?!

Also make contracts more bonus led to 50/50 depending on appearances/wins, goals, clean sheets, promotion etc Could even tie this in with attendances... Bonuses depending on the gates. E.G. Over 4,000 people = 10% bonus. Might seem a bit harsh, but players would want to attract people through by work in the community/attractive football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
RonMariner
October 19, 2011, 5:56pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,789
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from jock dock tower
I read in today's paper that sperm donors (it was the Guardian, page 3 of the G2 supplement) could be compensated by up to £35 per donation a la Danish system. With a footballing squad of say 30, plus managers, physios, and those who work in the office, you could probably knock this up to 40. Twice a week you can donate, so that's £70 per person x 40 = £2,800 per week, or nearly £150k per calendar year. You may be able to get more by pleading that they are young athletes in the prime of their sporting lives. Maybe not..... Rope in a few fans as well and you can easily be looking at £0.5million annually. They could approach Bookers or the like to sponsor BP being renamed the Ham Shank Stadium.

Plus side for the players is that it will undoubtedly burn off a few calories, so helping with their prime fitness levels. With fans, losing that much testosterone on a weekly basis could probably make BP seem like an oasis of peace and loving. Would fans be so keen to sing "Who's the w@nker in the black?" at the referee though, knowing he may be a colleague?

LOL!

A brilliant, brilliant post.

As good a plan as has been implemented for several years at BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
TWAreaTownSupporter
October 19, 2011, 10:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
Quoted from jock dock tower

And Hurst can still shout "If ya darnt fackin like it darnt cam".

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › cut the 1 million quid

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.